Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220672 times)

micky682

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2190 on: May 05, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
Got high last around 3:30am last night and read all 75 pages of this thread in one sitting... Still don't know whether to get Indy 149s or Ace 44s next. Currently got Thunder 149s with krux inverted kingpins on the street setup and 90a medium Indy bushings and ace 55 with Krux bushings on the cruiser. Had Ace 44 for a bit before they got run over by a car, haven't skated indys in a few years so I don't remember how they feel.

Pretty sure I am certifiably insane.
We all are.The disease is called skateboarding.

christ0v

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #2191 on: May 06, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
I tightened my trucks a bit today. Standard 149 indy and my pop is much better now. Got only one wheel bite, but i really landed bad. I didn;t know that such a small change can make that much of a difference.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2192 on: May 06, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »
I tightened my trucks a bit today. Standard 149 indy and my pop is much better now. Got only one wheel bite, but i really landed bad. I didn;t know that such a small change can make that much of a difference.

yeah i have the thunder 149 hi's with the 95 duro aftermarkets and i dont have to tighten them down but they're really stable and not too flimsy

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Diocletian

« Reply #2193 on: May 11, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
Any SLAP pals using the Krux kingpin with bushings that are not Krux cushions? I'm curious if other bushing companies like Bones or Indy, which have shorter bottom bushings, fit okay on the kingpin without it needing to be tightened down too much to compensate for the extra room on the kingpin. Any feedback is much appreciated!

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2194 on: May 11, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »
Any SLAP pals using the Krux kingpin with bushings that are not Krux cushions? I'm curious if other bushing companies like Bones or Indy, which have shorter bottom bushings, fit okay on the kingpin without it needing to be tightened down too much to compensate for the extra room on the kingpin. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Don't know about the others but they work fine with Thunder bushings. I'd imagine you should be alright with bones or Indy bushings. If I remember correctly I saw xen with an old setup on here with the Indy bushings in some thunders too

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2195 on: May 12, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »

Krux pins work just fine with stock indy barrels, aftermarket indy conicals, ace and stock/aftermarket thunder bushings...you can use them with bones as well but i don't recommend using the provided krux washer as it sits pretty high due to the shape used to create the dome that holds the kingpin.

Depending on how tight you ride they don't work well with low bushings or aftermarket indy barrels as they are shorter and you will end up having less room to tighten due to the bottom of the pin hitting the deck if you crank them down; ride tight? be sure to get hard bushings.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #2196 on: May 12, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »

I got them on my Thunder 149s with orange indy conical 90a bushings. Works great, no issues yet.

Diocletian

« Reply #2197 on: May 12, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Krux pins work just fine with stock indy barrels, aftermarket indy conicals, ace and stock/aftermarket thunder bushings...you can use them with bones as well but i don't recommend using the provided krux washer as it sits pretty high due to the shape used to create the dome that holds the kingpin.

Depending on how tight you ride they don't work well with low bushings or aftermarket indy barrels as they are shorter and you will end up having less room to tighten due to the bottom of the pin hitting the deck if you crank them down; ride tight? be sure to get hard bushings.

Thanks for the info! I'll be using Bones then. So don't use the bottom or top washer on the Krux pins with Bones bushings?

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2198 on: May 12, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
Thinking about trying some harder bushings for my thunders to mitigate the wheelbite. Does anyone else skate the harder durometer Thunder bushings? How's the overall feel compared to the normal ones? Is it even worth it?

I've also been feeling the need for Theeve lately...gonna be on the lookout for some cheap tiax for my next trucks after these thunders. Haven't skated the v3s but I loved my v2's when I had them.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2199 on: May 12, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
Ace 44's solved all of my truck issues... I have some spare Krux bushings that might ruin my streak. For now I'm really happy with the stock Ace bushings.

Has anyone else here just settled on an all-stock truck after reading through this thread?

Stock ventures. Stock Indys on my "vert" board.
you never know about pre-cum 

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2200 on: May 12, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
Thinking about trying some harder bushings for my thunders to mitigate the wheelbite. Does anyone else skate the harder durometer Thunder bushings? How's the overall feel compared to the normal ones? Is it even worth it?

I've also been feeling the need for Theeve lately...gonna be on the lookout for some cheap tiax for my next trucks after these thunders. Haven't skated the v3s but I loved my v2's when I had them.

i rock the blue 95duro thunder bushings (ones they sell additionally)
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2201 on: May 13, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info! I'll be using Bones then. So don't use the bottom or top washer on the Krux pins with Bones bushings?

This is how I set up my theeves using the krux pin.

The theeve bottom bushing is tall, taller than a bones bottom and they come stock with bottom washers. I tooled around with other bushings before going with the krux pin and found none of them sit flush under the yoke hole like the stock ones do (as you crank them down with other bushings only the front portion of the bushing would touch the bottom of the hanger; no idea if it would mess with the geop but it didn't seem like a smart idea.

I used the thin washers that come with bones now for the bottom, to keep the height right so the bushing sits flush to the hanger.

Diocletian

« Reply #2202 on: May 13, 2017, 04:44:24 PM »
If Indy or Ace came out with a redesign that had that much kingpin clearance stock, with better quality stock bushings and pivot cups, life would be complete. Why...why is it so much to ask? :(

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2203 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
If Indy or Ace came out with a redesign that had that much kingpin clearance stock, with better quality stock bushings and pivot cups, life would be complete. Why...why is it so much to ask? :(

Cost volumes is my guess.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2204 on: May 13, 2017, 05:43:16 PM »
If you somehow scuffed the Allen hole ever so slightly you'd never get that shit off...

Diocletian

« Reply #2205 on: May 13, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cost volumes is my guess.

True, the Vitellos might not to be able to afford another Rolls Royce if they did that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:47:08 PM by Diocletian »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2206 on: May 13, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »
If you somehow scuffed the Allen hole ever so slightly you'd never get that shit off...

Nah....you can use vice grips....xen....does the nut spin? 

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2207 on: May 13, 2017, 10:52:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
About indy stage xi:
1) is this true that the "new geometry " is based on stage v - vii geometry?
2) anyone have what the difference on geometry from stage x to Xi actually is?
[close]

Deeper turns for sure.
[close]

How's would you rate stage xi vs the mighty stage vii?
[close]

Man, Back during the stage 7 days I was riding my trucks way too tight.... so its a hard comparison. i will say this, Stage 8 and 9 were pretty bad. 10 started to get better and 11s are really good again. I will say 11s are going to be lighter with more kingpin clearance than 7s.
Stage 9s were horrible. I remember breaking the baseplate trying to 180 a 4 and I remember a homie kickflipped a 6 sketchy and wanted to do it again better and next try he broke a stage 9 baseplate too.

Needless to say, I think Indy is done with putting holes in their baseplates.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:55:33 PM by Jud Nestorkins »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2208 on: May 14, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah....you can use vice grips....xen....does the nut spin? 

Nope!

it would be the same as grinding down a regular kingpin setup....you'd have to grind damn near the axle to touch it tho,

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2209 on: May 14, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »
How does it not spin?  Just pressure?  I got some old gullwing ones and I gotta take my trucks off to loosen or tighten them....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2210 on: May 14, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
How does it not spin?  Just pressure?  I got some old gullwing ones and I gotta take my trucks off to loosen or tighten them....

You can see in the pic, the hole is packed with what I'm guessing is JB Weld.
you never know about pre-cum 

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2211 on: May 14, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
Has anyone here happened to skate theeve 5.5's on an 8.38 or 8.25? Active has a great sale on them but they only have the tiax in 5.5. I'd prefer the 5.85 because I skate 8.38s but I've been thinking about downsizing to 8.25 anyway. My biggest concern is if the 5.5's will feel super short on an 8.38 if I happen to stay at that size. It'd be a no-brainer if they had them in 5.85 size but I dunno about going from 149's to the 5.5 axles

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2212 on: May 14, 2017, 12:45:25 PM »
The theeve site has some trucks on sale too. I wonder if they are going to release something new soon and are trying to clear out old stock.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2213 on: May 14, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »
I'm amazed how any truck not named Indy, Thunder, or Venture can even stay in business these days.  I've been on 2 year old, well worn Indy 149 Ti's with Stage 10 cast plates.  I was riding Ace 44's for awhile and really enjoyed them, but when I sized up decks they felt too small.  Indy's turn great but Ace really take the cake in that regard.

Also have some new pivot cups in the mail and I'm going to switch it up from the cylindrical aftermarket indy's to conicals.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2214 on: May 14, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »
They've hasn't corrected that latent defect of putting the letters THEEVE on them....

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2215 on: May 15, 2017, 09:02:27 AM »
Has anyone here happened to skate theeve 5.5's on an 8.38 or 8.25? Active has a great sale on them but they only have the tiax in 5.5. I'd prefer the 5.85 because I skate 8.38s but I've been thinking about downsizing to 8.25 anyway. My biggest concern is if the 5.5's will feel super short on an 8.38 if I happen to stay at that size. It'd be a no-brainer if they had them in 5.85 size but I dunno about going from 149's to the 5.5 axles

I skate 5.5s on 8.25 - The axle is acually 8.18" if that helps you decide.

Nate.Dog

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2216 on: May 16, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
Hell Reynolds, dickson, and half the baker team used to skate 8.5's with 139s, I'm sure you'll be fine

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2217 on: May 16, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »
Hell Reynolds, dickson, and half the baker team used to skate 8.5's with 139s, I'm sure you'll be fine

Reynolds has changed it up a bit

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzTRzcF_cN/?taken-by=andrewreynolds

Diocletian

« Reply #2218 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »
I've been skating 149 stage 11 Indy's with stock bushings, only a few turns more than the kingpin nut flush and they've been performing as if I threw some aftermarket bushings of some kind in them. The turn feels just as snappy and responsive as Ace or stage 7 Indy's. My brain is now melted and I have no idea what is real anymore.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2219 on: May 19, 2017, 07:16:31 AM »
I gotta say Aces are the funnest trucks for carving around on........back down the rabbit hole you go!  With age I've accepted that tinkering and setting shit up just to take em apart is a good alternative to getting wrecked.....I've always made fun of gear head types in cycling who basically don't ride....but now I get it....skate shit for the most part is cheap and I always hook up kids who need it with my old stuff....

Hope you find a way to get stoked on skating somehow....I spent a winter in my late 30's skating a two foot quarter in my garage...building up a quiver and it was the best.....