Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221340 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2250 on: May 30, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone else ride their front and back trucks setup exactly the same?
[close]
This has me tempted me to buy a twin tail and new trucks to keep stock. Just to see what happens
[close]

ha man i tried to ride the new thunder 148's stock (my old trucks were thunder 149 with the 94duro bushings) so the 90 duro stock bushing with a new pivot cup was wheel bite galore!

my point is if you're riding harder bushings than 90 duro (which i know stock thunders and indy's are 90 duro) its gonna be reallllllyyy looose
[close]

Were they the white or clear yellows? The white ones always feel much softer than the yellows to me (even if they are supposedly the same duro).
[close]
148s are orange.

ya the stock clear orange 90's - swapped em for the 94duro thunders and they work great. WAAY more stable than having 149's on a 8.25 just looking at the board you can see the trucks are flush with the 8.25 and look significantly smaller than 149s.  
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

--

« Reply #2251 on: May 30, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gotta set of Thunder lights 149s on the way.  The ones with just the hollow king pin and the forge base.

Would no risers, stock bushings, and 52mms cause wheel bite?

I haven't had Thunders  in forever and heard that wheel bite  pretty prevalent.
[close]
i skate 145s with 53mms and get wheel bite but it's not really a problem. also, 149s are a bit higher than 145s so i'd say you're good
[close]

Thanks man. How loose do you ride them and how stable are they when they are loose?
i have the bottom washers removed and the kingpin nuts sticking out a bit. the bushings have been replaced with medium independents, which i believe are softer than than the stock yellow ones. they're not extremely loose. i think a wider setup like yours may be more stable, although i'm not sure

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2252 on: June 01, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
So I'm gonna ride these thunders with the stock bushings. First time in years I haven't put in Bones mediums right away. What's the best way to break them in?

Force myself to ride them exactly as is and then after a couple of sessions tighten them to my preferred looseness? I think that's what Steve said.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2253 on: June 01, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
Force myself to ride them exactly as is and then after a couple of sessions tighten them to my preferred looseness? I think that's what Steve said.
That's the advice I got on here and it worked perfectly!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2254 on: June 01, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
Fuck! SW sent me one Thunder 148 and one 149.

Luckily I found an old ass pair of 149 hangers and base I forgot I had that I can use until I get a replacement but this blows lol.

Figured out why. Someone slapped a 149 barcode on some 148s.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2255 on: June 01, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »
So I don't why some of you think Thunders are waaay too lose.

Rocking them at the stock loosesness they are fucking perfect. Super turny without feeling floppy in any way. (If you like floppy i'm not here to judge though lol.in anyway.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2256 on: June 01, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »
The stock white bushings feel super loose until you break them in. Last time I got a new set of thunders I was getting crazy wheelbite with 53mm wheels for the first few weeks.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2257 on: June 01, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »
The stock white bushings feel super loose until you break them in. Last time I got a new set of thunders I was getting crazy wheelbite with 53mm wheels for the first few weeks.

See I don't get this.  Every set of trucks I've ever had, I've hated the fucking stock bushings and always just use bones but even fresh these white Thunder bushings feel like a million bucks!

It feels turny but stable.

I'll compare THunders and Indys.

If you were carve a down a sidewalk with Indys it'd be like this

(
 )
(
)
(

But with Thunders it's like

\
/
\
/
\
/

Like Indys are more an S shape and feel smoother but fairly shallow where as these Thunders are more of a zig zag. They have a snappier/quicker response but don't feel like  loose truck at speed/going striaght.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2258 on: June 02, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »
I wonder if they're gonna bring back stage 10 height but stage 11 geo, snagged my friends old stage 10 Indy 149 hangars and I love the height and size for an 8.25.

They're literally at that sweet spot height for a 149, not low but definitely not as high as ace or stage 11. Truly truly the just right height.

The only sad part is the geo of stage 10 is a little odd but I did get them perfect with some Indy aftermarket cylinder red 88a's and damn they're a dream Indy truck. It works so nice but at the same time it still lacks that cleanliness of stage 11 turn

Went back to thunder 147 though cause just as they advertised I noticed playing around with quiver setups the thunders do give me more control than my Indy 139 lows. Thunder is the leader in control and it's true !!

yes

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2259 on: June 02, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's not a bad idea and I know it messes with the grooves....but lately because I've had a bad case of boom-a-board...I've considered alternating to balance it out....

Any pointers on resolving the incessantly turning board?  I think it's due to wheel bite on the front toe corner.....my goal for 2017 is to study it more carefully and try and resolve it...
[close]

Man this sucks! My current setup is awful with this issue. Keeps turning the opposite way I want it to turn. I always like a little turning bias towards my frontside and since I set this new board up it always turns towards backside, even if I step on the trucks to correct it. I blame a shitty, misaligned drill job on the board. It is always either this or a bent axle that's causing the turning.
[close]
Boomerang board? I kind of dig it when I'm skating alone since my board just comes back at me whenever I shoot out on a miscalculation. If anyone knows for sure how to fix this, I'd like to know.

I also would look at uneven wheel wear being a factor, too.
[close]

Haha does it do a full circle when it comes back? Sounds like a serious case. Wheels wearing uneven can definitely cause the board to turn. I am about to set a new deck soon so will see if its my trucks having issues or if the holes on the board were drilled a bit of. Also, has anyone experienced baseplates with misaligned holes? I once had a set where one of the hangers was longer on one side and also a set where the bolts on one plate were closer to the edge (towards the pivot cup side)

I've only had one full on boomerang which were a set of orions way back in 1997ish.  Most of my set ups veer to the right (regular foot).  Front right wheel always ends up getting coned out faster than the rest of the set, too.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2260 on: June 02, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
^same here, regular too, always the front right wheel , the one under the toes

i'm dealing with a squeacking hollow kingpin in my 149 indys, shit is annoying as fuck...click click...my creation
 i won't play blacksmith again with new trucks, i'll go with forged hollow next time
lasted almost a year, i'll find a way to fix it
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:43:59 AM by the snake »

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2261 on: June 02, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
Switched out the stock bushings in my thunders  with their harder red 97d aftermarket bushings to help with wheelbite and it's made a difference, even with upping my wheel size by 2mm along with it. Now that they're broken in they literally feel/turn the exact same way just with a lot less wheelbite, so I'd recommend others try them out if they've been dealing with that on harder landing. A lot cheaper than getting truck madness and buying a new set like I almost did lol

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2262 on: June 04, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
I've been playing with something as I mess around with setups.  If you have an iPhone and go to the compass and swipe right you get a protractor.  Set the phone on your deck and then push the tail down and you can measure the angle at which it touches the ground. 

So now if you have a ton of junk and set it up in different ways over and over you can see like how much difference risers and wheel size, or different trucks might affect ollie feel.

Also, regarding the question about baseplate holes being off...  I think what you are really seeing is the edges of the baseplate not being square.  Like when they are molding it the aluminum doesn't fill the mold all the way.  I have this on one of my Ace trucks.  It doesn't affect anything.  The holes are in the right place, even if they might not look like it.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2263 on: June 04, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
I wonder if they're gonna bring back stage 10 height but stage 11 geo, snagged my friends old stage 10 Indy 149 hangars and I love the height and size for an 8.25.

They're literally at that sweet spot height for a 149, not low but definitely not as high as ace or stage 11. Truly truly the just right height.

The only sad part is the geo of stage 10 is a little odd but I did get them perfect with some Indy aftermarket cylinder red 88a's and damn they're a dream Indy truck. It works so nice but at the same time it still lacks that cleanliness of stage 11 turn

Went back to thunder 147 though cause just as they advertised I noticed playing around with quiver setups the thunders do give me more control than my Indy 139 lows. Thunder is the leader in control and it's true !!

You probably know, but you do know the stage 11's with forged baseplates are the exact same height as regular stage 10's, right? I don't like forged baseplates but.. It's probably the only way to make that happen with the same geometry for now.

micky682

« Reply #2264 on: June 04, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You probably know, but you do know the stage 11's with forged baseplates are the exact same height as regular stage 10's, right? I don't like forged baseplates but.. It's probably the only way to make that happen with the same geometry for now.

Never understood what a "forged" baseplate is, care to explain? Is it thinner/lighter?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2265 on: June 04, 2017, 09:32:23 PM »
"Forged baseplates are compression molded, making them lighter, stronger, and more impact resistant in comparison to cast or poured-mold baseplates "
and they're 1.5mm thinner than cast ones

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2266 on: June 05, 2017, 02:04:38 AM »
Aha yeah I don't like the thin feel of the forge baseplates, it throws off the weight for me with a paper thin plate and a heavy hangar so I like sticking to heavy ole all gravity cast trucks. Gives more weight and feel to the board. I like thunders the best because they shave the weight off in the right places while keeping the truck super solid feeling with the regular cast normal team 147 hi

yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2267 on: June 05, 2017, 02:20:28 AM »
^same here, regular too, always the front right wheel , the one under the toes

i'm dealing with a squeacking hollow kingpin in my 149 indys, shit is annoying as fuck...click click...my creation
 i won't play blacksmith again with new trucks, i'll go with forged hollow next time
lasted almost a year, i'll find a way to fix it

In my case the board always turns to the right (goofy footed ffs!!!) and it drives me nuts. Just set up a new deck and it seems that my baseplate holes are drilled slightly of and hopefully rotating baseplates should fix the problem.
For coned wheels, I always believed that it happens when people kickturn on quarterpipes and as the front truck approaches the ground it is the front/toeside wheel that hits flat first and gets coned because of the slight sideways tilt of the board
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2268 on: June 05, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
I still get the coning one that wheel whether I touch transition or not.  Cursed I guess.

Anyhow, for interested parties this is the price for two sets of indy bushings ($5.95 and free ship). Take advantage while you can. (I know, it's a longboard site). They squishy and my aces are finally how I had imagined they'd be, but just couldn't break down the stock bushing to this state of squish.

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/independent-genuine-parts-csfu-skateboard-bushings-90a

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2269 on: June 07, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
have a new theory for the front toe coned wheel, bought a new board, and guess where the first and only wheel mark appeared...not on my mom^^

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2270 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
Has anyone rocked a different size truck back than front? I'm thinking of wasting some money again and have been eyeing up this punkpoint deck that's around 8.35" on the front trucks but only around 7,85" on the back trucks. I have a spare set of Ace 44s around but I'm afraid they'd be too wide on the back. Any thoughts?

N.L.

« Reply #2271 on: June 07, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
Has anyone rocked a different size truck back than front? I'm thinking of wasting some money again and have been eyeing up this punkpoint deck that's around 8.35" on the front trucks but only around 7,85" on the back trucks. I have a spare set of Ace 44s around but I'm afraid they'd be too wide on the back. Any thoughts?

Hosoi does this...
You'll either loose your mind, end up in a Hawaiian prison or the universe will implode. Best not....

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2272 on: June 07, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »
I have a deck that's 9" on the front and 8.25" on the back (also a punk point). I just use 169's. The wheels sticking out doesn't bother me. Having two different truck sizes would fuck with my head way more. Plus I don't think the 44's would even stick out that much.

Anyway, this dude set up a 215 in the back and a 109 in the front and it seems ride-able. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTHKD1mGWA

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2273 on: June 08, 2017, 05:54:15 AM »
Heh. Thanks guys. The board is now out of stock anyway, so I won't be buying it. Not sure what I'll do in the future though when I come across some shaped board I want enough that has a big width difference between front and back. Maybe the safest bet would be to try with same size trucks and then get some funky different size ones if the same width trucks annoy me. :)

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2274 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:12 AM »
I have a deck that's 9" on the front and 8.25" on the back (also a punk point). I just use 169's. The wheels sticking out doesn't bother me. Having two different truck sizes would fuck with my head way more. Plus I don't think the 44's would even stick out that much.

Anyway, this dude set up a 215 in the back and a 109 in the front and it seems ride-able. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTHKD1mGWA
Don't believe the hype, bmc won that board and i ended up with it for now. It is hard as fuck to just turn on. Front shove it's were harder than kickflips on it. Can't wait to take a trip to socal so I can leave it on BMC's doorstep in the middle of the night lol.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #2275 on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Don't believe the hype, bmc won that board and i ended up with it for now. It is hard as fuck to just turn on. Front shove it's were harder than kickflips on it. Can't wait to take a trip to socal so I can leave it on BMC's doorstep in the middle of the night lol.

It will just end up back at your house!  I don't want that thing within 500 yards of me

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2276 on: June 08, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
I'm gonna mail it to you, piece by piece.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2277 on: June 08, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
I thought someone on here had won that, that board looked worse then those snake boards with that castor wheels

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2278 on: June 09, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
Hey anyone on here who currently or use to religiously ride Indy stage 10 ? Specifically 149 ?

What's your feedback on them compared to stage 11 besides 11 being taller and sharper ?

Does anyone prefer 10 over 11 like rowley strictly rides his stage 7 or 9 or whatever stage it was ?
yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2279 on: June 09, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
Hey anyone on here who currently or use to religiously ride Indy stage 10 ? Specifically 149 ?

What's your feedback on them compared to stage 11 besides 11 being taller and sharper ?

Does anyone prefer 10 over 11 like rowley strictly rides his stage 7 or 9 or whatever stage it was ?

Dude, just stop.
you never know about pre-cum