Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220962 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2520 on: August 18, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
Anyone here have or have tried thunder titanium lights? Are they significantly lighter than regular hollow lights?

I have some regular lights at the moment(just forged baseplate and hollow kingpin) and they feel a tiny bit lighter than the standards actually but it really gets me thinking if titaniums are worth the extra $15 a truck
yes

Mongoloid

« Reply #2521 on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
I love my Ace, and that's my shit.

but... I would love it Thunder would release another low truck some point in the future. I get that even the "Hi's" are low in comparison to other brands, but the lows just had such a crisp snappy pop.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2522 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
Running some hollow light 169s fully stock with the white bushings. I think they fully broke in a few days ago because they felt looser out of nowhere, can I tighten them up or should I give them a little more time?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2523 on: August 18, 2017, 05:30:51 PM »
Anyone here have or have tried thunder titanium lights? Are they significantly lighter than regular hollow lights?

I have some regular lights at the moment(just forged baseplate and hollow kingpin) and they feel a tiny bit lighter than the standards actually but it really gets me thinking if titaniums are worth the extra $15 a truck

Depends...if you're riding heavy wood (like WKND) or 149s (non hollows) you can really feel the difference...hollows vs TI, they're lighter in hand but I doubt you'd feel it when skating (I did with ollies tho). Indy's I'd always go TI if funds aren't an issue.

I sold off all my TI shit when shit got hectic (actually made money on the Theeves :P) and currently run ACE 44s with mag plates/krux pins, 144 indy forged hollows and 148 thunder team hollows. Still bouncing back and fuckingforth with indy vs thunder tho!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:33:59 PM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #2524 on: August 19, 2017, 06:10:46 AM »
Forged baseplates are where it's at. Fucked up on some slappies and normally it would have warped or straight up broke the baseplate on cast ones but the forged are nearly indestructible it seems. I notice how easier it is to ollie higher with these titanium Indy's, too. Convert for life now.

VCR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #2525 on: August 21, 2017, 08:36:01 AM »
Does anybody else feel like light trucks don't grind as well as normal ones?

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #2526 on: August 21, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
for some reason my hanger keeps sliding out of my krux k4s.  :'(
has anyone experienced this issue before?

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2527 on: August 21, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »

100%

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2528 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100%

Maybe it has more to do with hollow hangers?  I've skated my set of Ti 149's off and on for 3 years and they have never had that issue.

Diocletian

« Reply #2529 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »
As much as these Ti indies are indestructible...the turn is slow even with the aftermarket bushings. Hard to get used to after Ace for so long. Thinking I'll cave in and try thunders with some plastic risers. Anyone know which ones fit thunders besides their risers that they offer? According to tactics pretty much no other riser is compatible.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2530 on: August 21, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
Lucky risers work with thunders, that's what I used for mine.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2531 on: August 21, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
Bones risers fit perfectly, no sticking out.
you never know about pre-cum 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2532 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:10 AM »
Even if the risers stick out you can cut that with a knife or a scissor. I did it before. Literally the easiest fix ever.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2533 on: August 22, 2017, 12:26:13 PM »
I wonder what's going on with these supposed new thunder baseplates and their release date

I'm too excited to see how they'll look, supposedly someone here said they'll be like venture baseplates
yes

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2534 on: August 22, 2017, 12:29:14 PM »
I wonder what's going on with these supposed new thunder baseplates and their release date

I'm too excited to see how they'll look, supposedly someone here said they'll be like venture baseplates

I need them, hopefully they don't change the geometry at all cause I'll just buy a set and put my current axles and bushings on em. All joking aside that little nub of metal makes slides 5 times as consistent.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2535 on: August 22, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
As much as these Ti indies are indestructible...the turn is slow even with the aftermarket bushings. Hard to get used to after Ace for so long. Thinking I'll cave in and try thunders with some plastic risers. Anyone know which ones fit thunders besides their risers that they offer? According to tactics pretty much no other riser is compatible.

Pig 1/4" and 1/2" risers are slotted to fit Thunders.
If you want 1/8", then Bones or Thunder.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2536 on: August 22, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, 1/8" Krooked fit perfectly too.
The Thunder 1/8" are hard plastic and the Krooked ones are rubber.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2537 on: August 22, 2017, 06:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also, 1/8" Krooked fit perfectly too.
The Thunder 1/8" are hard plastic and the Krooked ones are rubber.
this! hard plastic thunder ones defs didn't do it for me

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2538 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I need them, hopefully they don't change the geometry at all cause I'll just buy a set and put my current axles and bushings on em. All joking aside that little nub of metal makes slides 5 times as consistent.

It really does help you get that good lean and lock into the nose and tail slides and that grand Grindy slide sound of the baseplate just locking in and sliding gives you more motive to pop out or get a good shuv out.

I get slide marks on my thunder plates but no real lock in like when I tried ace's
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2539 on: August 23, 2017, 06:17:26 AM »
Experiencing a weird, "feels like different set-up every time you step on your board" phase atm, but I've gone back to stock Thunders and want to stick with it as it was working for a long time, maybe I just need new bushings, but that's how it starts...

Diocletian

« Reply #2540 on: August 23, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the thunders and riser compatibility. I'm gonna go with the hard plastic ones, I don't like the rubber. Does anyone also know the height of thunder hi's with the forged baseplate?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2541 on: August 23, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the thunders and riser compatibility. I'm gonna go with the hard plastic ones, I don't like the rubber. Does anyone also know the height of thunder hi's with the forged baseplate?

just be careful not to tighten your hardware too much or those hard risers will crack like an egg after a session or two like what happened to me.

I don't know the exact height but I feel like the Forged thunder baseplates on an 1/8" riser is like the perfect height for thunders. Cast plates w/ risers are a tad too high and they're OK without them but for whatever reason that forged w/ riser combo is like that sweet spot for me.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2542 on: August 23, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
Experiencing a weird, "feels like different set-up every time you step on your board" phase atm, but I've gone back to stock Thunders and want to stick with it as it was working for a long time, maybe I just need new bushings, but that's how it starts...

i really wanted to skate stock thunders but the bushings are TOO soft for my liking. I was a big fan of the Bones hardcore bushings until i noticed they caused the pivot cups to crack after a 6 months. I switched to the aftermarket thunders 95s and they work perfect
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2543 on: August 23, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i really wanted to skate stock thunders but the bushings are TOO soft for my liking. I was a big fan of the Bones hardcore bushings until i noticed they caused the pivot cups to crack after a 6 months. I switched to the aftermarket thunders 95s and they work perfect

About the same for me, I can ride them stock bushings but I tighten til 1.5 threads are exposed to get that medium tight I like but damn those 94a/95a thunder aftermarkets are good! Three them in and only had to go about a thread exposed for the perfect tightness and it has my pop and flip tricks with so much more control. Nollie heel started flipping way more consistently with the harder duro
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #2544 on: August 24, 2017, 07:16:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just be careful not to tighten your hardware too much or those hard risers will crack like an egg after a session or two like what happened to me.

I don't know the exact height but I feel like the Forged thunder baseplates on an 1/8" riser is like the perfect height for thunders. Cast plates w/ risers are a tad too high and they're OK without them but for whatever reason that forged w/ riser combo is like that sweet spot for me.

Dang, I hope they don't break on me. I really don't like the rubber ones because they make my board have a damp sound and feel and it drives me nuts.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2545 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »

Been off the board for a couple of weeks for real skating, but have cruised around a few times (severely sprained or fractured big left toe due to my chain popping off at high speed on a beach ride, fucking sucked). Anyway, being off for that long, I jumped on a few setups to trick around on, 8.25" thunder bones softs and aces with krux, aces felt way better; swapped the thunders for forged indys w/bones medium bottoms, soft tops aaaand..the indys felt like old comfy shoes...

Tried skating the thunders but (as usual) just couldn't get them dialed...guess I'm just an indy person?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:11:24 PM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #2546 on: August 26, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
So I just got done skating Thunder titanium 149's with 1/8" Thunder risers underneath. For being 210lbs I didn't get the wheelbite I thought I would, probably because I'm using the hard conical aftermarket Indy bushings in them. I had to take the top washer off to get them to turn though, and even then it really didn't feel much quicker than Indy at all. Also, for being the same type of aluminum as Indy and Venture, the grinds were ridiculously sticky on these trucks. My Indy titaniums grind smooth and never stick. I feel like I've hit a wall with truck nerdery now and it bums me out. Nothing can turn as good as Ace yet have the durability of a forged baseplate. I don't know where to turn and I need the support of you fellow truck addicts.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2547 on: August 26, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »
So I just got done skating Thunder titanium 149's with 1/8" Thunder risers underneath. For being 210lbs I didn't get the wheelbite I thought I would, probably because I'm using the hard conical aftermarket Indy bushings in them. I had to take the top washer off to get them to turn though, and even then it really didn't feel much quicker than Indy at all. Also, for being the same type of aluminum as Indy and Venture, the grinds were ridiculously sticky on these trucks. My Indy titaniums grind smooth and never stick. I feel like I've hit a wall with truck nerdery now and it bums me out. Nothing can turn as good as Ace yet have the durability of a forged baseplate. I don't know where to turn and I need the support of you fellow truck addicts.
At least you aren't here...
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2548 on: August 26, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »

Either stick with indy TI forged and stick with hard bottom conicals and swap to soft tops (I'm back on indy forged hollows with bones med bottom/soft tops, riptide pivots cups) and it's the only way I can get them to feel close enough to turny aces with the <almost> height of thunders. I need bones in them as the rebound is much faster than say, indy conicals.

Have you tried Ventures?

I want the grind of Krux, height and pop of thunders (cast plates), weight of TI Thunders and turn of ACE, and hell throw in the extended base plated of Ventures ;)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2549 on: August 26, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
After giving up on finding the right truck and setup for sometime I think just knowing these 2 preferences will help you get out of the loop,

-find the tightness you like your trucks, like the REAL tightness where you are confident in doing tricks and ollieing over stuff knowing your board won't rocket or leave your feet. I discovered I like my trucks tightish and everything got so easy, getting my nose manual and nollie heels more consistent

-find the right height, it might not be as critical but for me I prefer my trucks like a mid or between mid and low cause you get a faster tail hitting the ground feel, some people want to feel levitated and that's all you. But if your trucks are the right tightness and height I guarantee it'll just get you back to pure skating and no thoughts about your setup

Everyone's probably gonna say the right bushings and all that but really I think depending on how truly truly tight you like your trucks then you can consider bushings cause I feel you can skate stock bushings on any trucks with any tightness it's just aftermarkets are more suited for your preference is all(I like tighter trucks so harder duro is gonna work better than having a medium and cranking it just to be able to turn a little more but lose some board control), I like the stock thunders but the after market harder ones just work better cause I don't have to expose as many threads tightening and the bushings don't wear and break as fast( the stock Softs kept getting soft again from the wear in only a few session and the tops were cracking)
yes