Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221079 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2640 on: September 22, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
I got fed up with everything modern so I busted out my last set of stage 7's that were pretty much mint condition. It took me awhile to get it hammered in properly but I put a krux kingpin in them and made sure the nut got all the way into the baseplate properly. It worked fine and I was really stoked on them, then after loosening and tightening a few times the nut started slipping out. The splines got kinda widened with all the hammering so the self-locking wasn't happening anymore. Then I put the stock kingpins back in and the grind clearance sucked.

I got fed up with dicking around with trucks that much, went out and bought Ace 44's. The baseplates will probably break on me eventually if I hit a slappy wrong but I have no choice. Ace are the only truck that turn fast enough for me, they ruined me for life. I keep the stock bottom bushing and use a black Indy hard for the top as it's nice and low. Also still using the riptide pivots. Front truck wobbly as hell, back truck loose but no wobble. Perfect feel.

*Also, local shop owner told me Ace will no longer be going through diamond to manufacture their trucks. They will be on their own so hopefully this means better quality control and the possibility of forged baseplates.* Also hope they will still sell through distributors and not pull an NHS and make everyone buy direct.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2641 on: September 22, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »
Things break man. I know you had problems with Aces, but ride what you like. Had to learn this lesson the hard way.
you never know about pre-cum 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2642 on: September 22, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
Nothing really turns like an ace...so if you love it...everything else will suck....

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2643 on: September 24, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »
Random question (and I hope this is a thread for it); does anybody ride their trucks a bit wider than their decks?  Like some Indy 159's on an 8.5?  Just wondering what else I can do to fuck with my setup even more. 

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2644 on: September 24, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »
Most people seem to run 8.5" trucks on 8.25" boards. Same thing as 8.5 x 159s, so it's not that weird. I don't do it because I feel like I get more leverage flipping my board with narrow trucks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2645 on: September 24, 2017, 10:12:49 PM »
But the correct answer is the same width.....

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2646 on: September 25, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »
I agree.
you can make due with 1/4" difference bigger or smaller, and I'd usually err on the side of bigger trucks, but same width is correct

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2647 on: September 25, 2017, 06:12:14 AM »
I like theeve 5.5, 8.18 wide, on 8.0 boards, it makes the wheels flush instead of the axles. I'll be trying thunder and indy 8.25 on 8.0 as well

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2648 on: September 25, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
Anyone else still running Riptide pivots?  Noticed yesterday ive got a crack on the one if my back truck

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2649 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I agree.
you can make due with 1/4" difference bigger or smaller, and I'd usually err on the side of bigger trucks, but same width is correct

Which is why the 8.25 truck makes sense as the new standard and it's sick they finally did it....you can skate anything from 8 and change up to an 8.5 no problem.....

Diocletian

« Reply #2650 on: September 25, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
Anyone else still running Riptide pivots?  Noticed yesterday ive got a crack on the one if my back truck

I?m running a fresh set of them in my Ace 44?s. My first set ripped but it was more a combination of me being a bigger sized dude learning slappies and Ace?s soft metal baseplate than it was riptide?s fault. They still sent me a replacement set and they?re really nice people so I?d email them and I?m sure they?ll send you a new set.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2651 on: September 25, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
Guys hear me out, I was messing with my collection as usual and as crazy as it is I noticed something hard to believe

It's hard to take but honestly honestly and I back it, mini logo trucks are legit

I was religiously riding my good ole thunders for the past few weeks and decided to try my mini logos again and damn with just the swap of the kinda tight stock bushings to some classic bones they're perfect, I got some bones hards in them and idk what it is but they feel like the control and quickness of a thunder but can actually turn deeper. It's crazy but seriously if you got $40(the trucks and bones bushings combined) give it a try and I swear you will not regret it if your use to or into thunders and ventures, I can legitimately say they are my second favorite truck thunder still being the best, I've tried almost every truck up to date except destructos and seriously if Powell just redesigned the look but kept the geometry and threw in stock bones bushings or a conical version of the stock bushings these trucks would creep to the top.

I see what johnny was getting down with, these butt ugly cheap looking trucks are not to sleep on they're supposed 5 years of enginuity speaks in the feel

Seriously think of a deeper turning thunder and that's what mini logos feel like and they keep the wheelbase where it's supposed to be
yes

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2652 on: September 26, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I?m running a fresh set of them in my Ace 44?s. My first set ripped but it was more a combination of me being a bigger sized dude learning slappies and Ace?s soft metal baseplate than it was riptide?s fault. They still sent me a replacement set and they?re really nice people so I?d email them and I?m sure they?ll send you a new set.

So I guess Im outta the loop of Riptide pivot cup bushing. Any more info about this? Ive blown through pivot cup bushings on my 44s and 55s like crazy. Im about to try and JB weld the Krux kingpins in my baseplates, we'll see how that goes...

ontheswarm

« Reply #2653 on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Indys with after market bushings, no top washer on either truck. Pretty loose but what I've got used to.

Diocletian

« Reply #2654 on: September 27, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »
The major difference I notice with riptide pivot cups is they don?t squeak and are 100% urethane. Stock Ace pivot cups aren?t too bad but the turn feels less smooth. Riptide?s kinda boost the stokeage you get from your trucks along with some aftermarket bushings.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2655 on: September 27, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
Guys hear me out, I was messing with my collection as usual and as crazy as it is I noticed something hard to believe

It's hard to take but honestly honestly and I back it, mini logo trucks are legit

I see what johnny was getting down with, these butt ugly cheap looking trucks are not to sleep on they're supposed 5 years of enginuity speaks in the feel

Seriously think of a deeper turning thunder and that's what mini logos feel like and they keep the wheelbase where it's supposed to be

Yeah, they are very good for the price. If I wasn't so hooked on Theeve's oval yoke technology, and the lightness of TiAX, I might switch to ML.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2656 on: September 27, 2017, 03:31:43 PM »
This thread sucks...  I swapped out my Ti 149's for my older, redesign 44's just for shits.  I told my buddy that I missed the turn of Ace's, but also wanted an excuse for my lack of ability...  We'll see how it goes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2657 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, they are very good for the price. If I wasn't so hooked on Theeve's oval yoke technology, and the lightness of TiAX, I might switch to ML.

Just as a back up....do they still make Tensor Hi's?  Some NOS G&S's?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2658 on: September 28, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah that oval yoke is the truth! I hardly ever get wheelbite anymore and I skate mine fairly loose. Been really enjoying the switch back to Theeves so far. It's just a shame that their marketing/team is so weak now, cuz the trucks themselves are superb, and they've been ahead of the curve with their truck designs since they came out with the titanium components. Out of the "secondary" big 3 (Krux, ace, & Theeve), they're probably the least popular & hardest to get stoked on outside of the actual trucks themselves. Their insta page is dry as fuck compared to all the other companies lol

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2659 on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
Finally got around to buying Aces after hitting the axle/destroying the kingpins of my Indys. I can't remember the

I swapped out the Ace bushings for Bones "hardcore" bushings as well. The bushings were in my Indys beforehand (and barely fit). I think a few of you recommended the Ace/Bones combo so I was interested.

I can't provide as thorough a review as others can - I'm genuinely amazed at the level of truck knowledge here - but they feel great. I could tell that turning is way smoother with them right away. They're light and grind well as well, haven't done any slappies with them yet but I can tell it'll be a good time.

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2660 on: October 02, 2017, 02:01:43 AM »

Long shot but does anyone know when these are going out to shops? Specifically UK/euro? Reed(Reid?)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2661 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »
Finally got around to buying Aces after hitting the axle/destroying the kingpins of my Indys. I can't remember the

I swapped out the Ace bushings for Bones "hardcore" bushings as well. The bushings were in my Indys beforehand (and barely fit). I think a few of you recommended the Ace/Bones combo so I was interested.

I can't provide as thorough a review as others can - I'm genuinely amazed at the level of truck knowledge here - but they feel great. I could tell that turning is way smoother with them right away. They're light and grind well as well, haven't done any slappies with them yet but I can tell it'll be a good time.

I actually think ACEs are not light....they just appear to be light.....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2662 on: October 02, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
Aces are heavy.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2663 on: October 02, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
I find them light, I mean i didn't pick up my board and find it substantially heavier. Maybe they just look light and so I think they're lighter and I fell victim to a shrewd marketing ploy.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2664 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »
I find them light, I mean i didn't pick up my board and find it substantially heavier. Maybe they just look light and so I think they're lighter and I fell victim to a shrewd marketing ploy.

I think they actually weigh more than Indy by a few grams, if I recall correctly

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2665 on: October 02, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
Steve weighed them against am Indy 149, and I think the 44 was a few grams lighter than the 149, but only because it's a shorter truck.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2666 on: October 02, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
If you manage to get the mag plates for your aces and use the krux kingpin they become noticeably lighter.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2667 on: October 02, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »
If you manage to get the mag plates for your aces and use the krux kingpin they become noticeably lighter.

Yeah but that's kid of a lot of work. I think they're fine stock, honestly. I skated the old 44s and new 55s. I just bought a set of 44s on an impulse, going to hang on to skate them once I get off this 7.75 kick I'm on.

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2668 on: October 03, 2017, 11:06:01 AM »
will krux cushions work in Ventures? purple stocks are a tad too squishy for me.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2669 on: October 03, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
Steve weighed them against am Indy 149, and I think the 44 was a few grams lighter than the 149, but only because it's a shorter truck.

Indeed, from that skateboardingismylifetimesport page :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit#gid=0
Ace 44 : 365g
Indy 11 149 : 394g
Seeing the level of nerdyness over there, i'd trust those numbers... (omagad almost 10% more lighter!!!!)