Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220747 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3180 on: February 21, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
i scrolled through that guys stuff yesterday, he really takes the invert kingpin stuff seriously

Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfeRZdOhc5c/?tagged=independenttrucks
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:43:44 PM by Paco Supreme »

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3181 on: February 21, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
Anyone know how well Indy after market bushings hold up in below freezing temperatures?  Trying to find barrel bushings that don't freeze up too much. 

Also, are the white Indy bushings that come in their titanium trucks considered stock bushings? 

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3182 on: February 21, 2018, 05:20:50 PM »
I ride the red soft conical bushing and in the freezing cold it’s hard af. Only bushings I remember being soft in cold was bones soft or dohdoh bushings

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3183 on: February 21, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »
I ride the red soft conical bushing and in the freezing cold it’s hard af. Only bushings I remember being soft in cold was bones soft or dohdoh bushings

Wait, there's an alternative to winter weight gain?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

nosneb

« Reply #3184 on: February 21, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
I wish I can ride the soft bones. I blow them out on the first slappy

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3185 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
I wish I can ride the soft bones. I blow them out on the first slappy

Try hard/medium bottoms with soft tops, you'll be surprised (unless you blow out the tops regularly).

nosneb

« Reply #3186 on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
I mangle the whole thing  :'( running stock with the modded top has been working great “custom tune” lol

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3187 on: February 22, 2018, 12:09:54 AM »
Just finished a second session on the blue conical indy aftermarkets in 149 thunder hollow lights. Top indy washer at the bottom, thin bones washer at the top. Had only been using bones hard bushings for the last 4 years, and I was not expecting such an improvement in my ride. Bushings broken in out of the box and the trucks actually turn much-much sharper. The difference is almost as noticeable as when i first went to bones from plain barrel minus the frustration of getting used to new shit. I am super stocked, these things are heavenly.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3188 on: February 24, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
Probably not necessary, but anybody ever try fuckin' with wedge risers?

I think I read in one of Natas's old thrasher interviews that he used one on the front to make it look like it the board "is getting more air", or something like that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #3189 on: February 24, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »
I used to do that because of that interview....yah these angle things might do something but I think the only benefit would be changing the carve....

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3190 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »
If they were thinner with real small amounts of "wedge" they might be cool. Something to fine tune how your trucks feel.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #3191 on: February 24, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
Slalom guys have been doing this forever.

Not Local

« Reply #3192 on: February 24, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
If they were thinner with real small amounts of "wedge" they might be cool. Something to fine tune how your trucks feel.

Natas just had more risers on the front over the back for quicker snaps. Wedge risers are for slalom, long boarding and trucks that don't turn. In other words- don't do it.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #3193 on: February 26, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »
After having a negative experience with Bones Mediums in the past, I reluctantly bought some of the softer ones for my cruiser board. I got some extra wide trucks and just couldn't get them to feel right. Just put 'em on and skated back and forth my driveway and they feel really nice. One of the replacement washers must have fallen out of the box somewhere, so I'm not using any washers at all which I assume will be okay since this is strictly a cruiser board. I felt like I was crazy by not getting the Bones hype, but I'm gonna ride around town later and see how it feels for longer than a couple minutes.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3194 on: February 28, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All this talk about Theeve makes me want to try them out but they're difficult as fuck to find in Europe. Especially the 5.85" seems to be sold pretty much nowhere.  ???
[close]

You can find them on https://www.titus-shop.com/fr_FR/index.php?screen=dstore.shop.category&Search=theeve
[close]

Thanks. Checked that before already. Only one truck left and I would need two. 😊

if you're still looking for them - http://www.ambassadors.pl/en/30-85

not sure if they ship outside of poland though. 199pln is like 50 euros so they're kinda cheap too
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Diocletian

« Reply #3195 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
If anyone wants a second chance at some vintage Indy’s, these are some Stage 8’s in new condition I just spotted on eBay and aren’t priced at $500 like everyone seems to do when they sell em on there. Good luck, you’ll probably end up in an intense bidding war with some serious Indy lifer who set his max bid at $200 lol.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-INDEPENDENT-dual-bolt-pattern-skateboard-trucks-2-blue-silver-NEW-VTG/323104436410?hash=item4b3a8670ba:g:X2gAAOSwYcZalVCn

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3196 on: March 01, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »
If anyone wants a second chance at some vintage Indy’s, these are some Stage 8’s in new condition I just spotted on eBay and aren’t priced at $500 like everyone seems to do when they sell em on there. Good luck, you’ll probably end up in an intense bidding war with some serious Indy lifer who set his max bid at $200 lol.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-INDEPENDENT-dual-bolt-pattern-skateboard-trucks-2-blue-silver-NEW-VTG/323104436410?hash=item4b3a8670ba:g:X2gAAOSwYcZalVCn

Those pics make me feel funny ... down there.
I have one set of stage 8s left that are 126s. I've been debating setting up a skinnier deck and just using them cuz I'm not getting any younger so why not.

Part of why I was looking for that Indy history. To compare stage 7 and 8 but i do think they're 8

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3197 on: March 01, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
damn those are tempting, imagine getting them for less then the new ones?

Diocletian

« Reply #3198 on: March 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those pics make me feel funny ... down there.
I have one set of stage 8s left that are 126s. I've been debating setting up a skinnier deck and just using them cuz I'm not getting any younger so why not.

Part of why I was looking for that Indy history. To compare stage 7 and 8 but i do think they're 8

Those are 8’s. I had two sets of stage 7’s in near mint condition and just recently sold them. The 7’s look exactly like a theeve hanger. The 8’s have a trimmer hanger design compared to the 7’s, and the major indication being the first stage to come out with the bar cross stamped on the baseplate. Stage 7’s and all prior stages did not have this. They grind the same I’m sure, as far as the turn goes, I’ve not skated 8’s but from what I’ve read they were the last good stage Indy released before the turn became slowwwww.

Edit: here’s more info: https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1505758&sid=5bbd5a9f351389e32d582d4fc157f325
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:03:20 PM by Diocletian »

Diocletian

« Reply #3200 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Those would be worth posting if the price wasn’t $213 after shipping. I’d pay $80 tops for a set of trucks, modern or old. They’re just gonna get destroyed either way.

Not Local

« Reply #3201 on: March 01, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
Get a better job and suck it up.

Diocletian

« Reply #3202 on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
Get a better job and suck it up.

Yeah lemme go get another job for some $200 trucks that have an old school mounting hole pattern and are colored brb.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3203 on: March 01, 2018, 11:19:32 PM »
The madness came back and I had to kill my curiosity with my stage 10 149’s cause stop lying to yourselves the stage 11 no matter what size stage 11 feel tipsy with that 55mm height plus your 53mm-55mm wheels cause 52mm and under are for wussies that only skate flat

The stage 10 149 standards feel so goood!

Stage 12 should definitely take a dial back and be that 53.5mm height on standard casts, my kickflips were actually being caught better and maybe a little higher than compared to my favorite thunder 148 lights,

The stage 10 have this solid control feel to them, they just lack that deep crazy turn on stage 11 but I really don’t see it as a big deal, also I’m sure the bones bushing craze came from them mainly being used in stage 10’s cause they felt crazy good and stable compared to bones mediums in stage 11 139 and 149 that I have tried

I’m gonna be so sad the day these stage 10’s are done

Also I got the madness from watching some old Levi brown footage and about the stage 10 149’s
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3204 on: March 02, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Went with Thunder Team hollow 149s instead of Ace 44s. The Aces was just either too much truck or too little truck for 8.5s

Im riding them stock bushings but the top one cut in half with only bottom washer
[close]

How did you chop the top bushing with (and how without losing fingers)? I set up my thunders today (thunder OG bottom with a bones thin washer) and    stopped there knowing I need a low top or chop the one I have.
[close]

At home I took an old deck and started sanding the bushing down with the grip tape. If I was at my work shop I have clamps benches and saws.
Actually I sanded alittle more so I can fit the top washer and have my kingpin bolt flush with some wobble.

[close]

Got it! Just needed to find a deck with regular MOB on it; knocked it out in a few min, might have gone too low, we'll see.

Took a break from my Theeves and put the Thunders on a different set-up...pretty impressed with the stock bottom and sanded down top...I did sand them down a bit too much and have to go passed my usually OCD of flush nuts, but whatever. They felt super carvey this loose without being too wobbly, felt a bit unstable at center, but coming off of theeves almost anything will, something I could never dial in because of how short the kingpins are and how tall the bottom bushing is as that combo didn't leave much room to get them loose enough for how I like my trucks (with bones softs they were too loose).

Will go back to theeves tho, too much wheel bite on the thunders on tranny with 53s, just need to find the right bushings on theeves as the Khiros flattened out really fast and my trucks were wobbly as shit off the ground, click clakity wobbly.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3205 on: March 02, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »
I'm starting to settle into Indys for bigger decks and thunders for smaller setups. I've got an 8.2 and .25 with 148/149 thunders and two 8.6s with 149/159 indys. The height and turn of stage 11s suits bigger wheels too.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3206 on: March 02, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »
I'm starting to settle into Indys for bigger decks and thunders for smaller setups. I've got an 8.2 and .25 with 148/149 thunders and two 8.6s with 149/159 indys. The height and turn of stage 11s suits bigger wheels too.

Honestly makes sense. Indys shrink WB and bigger boards tend to have a larger WB. As for the wheel clearance you definitely feel it. 
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3207 on: March 02, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly makes sense. Indys shrink WB and bigger boards tend to have a larger WB. As for the wheel clearance you definitely feel it.

Oh yeah!! I think that’s why I prefer my stage 10’s also, they shrink the wheelbase on this krazy krooked 8.1 with a 14.4 wheelbase

The thunder 148 were nice and quick and have this pop to them but the Indy’s have just a more solid feel, like a reliable solid feel that gives me more confidence in my feel for tricks
yes

nosneb

« Reply #3208 on: March 03, 2018, 05:14:53 AM »
Tempted to give Venture hi 5.8 raw polished a try. Brings me back to my first set of trucks. Since venture been on dlx have they fixed the kingpin/baseplate breaking issue?

https://instagram.com/p/BfrXgXgBcHa/

Kinda torn between the polished one or the regular raw with red logo

https://instagram.com/p/BfGoVhxh-KD/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 05:18:21 AM by nosneb »

Diocletian

« Reply #3209 on: March 03, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
I’ve never skated Ventures before. I noticed Matt Field still skates them after being on Ace’s and Thunders in the past. Do Ventures have a good snappy quick turn? Or should I not kid myself and stick with Ace’s still?