Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 231053 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 54
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3660 on: May 15, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
yeah who the fuck locks into any grinds bang in the middle of the trucks.

Sheepishly puts up hand.
I blame Gullwings and crusty old skateparks with noping.
Hence my inverted kingpin fixation.

I mostly skate angle iron and my trucks always wear around the kingpin the most. I have always believed the culprit is the shape of the hanger with less material to be ground of at that area, hence the gullwing trucks effect.
@Cosmic Gypsies  I will show you the trucks in person in about 10 days haha

i mostly skate transition so i just have a nice gash in my back truck, never really seen anyone with grooves in the center of their trucks. normally see em on either side from tranny grinds, hefty crook/feeble grooves etc but never in the middle.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3661 on: May 15, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
^Looking good!

My center groove is not as pronounced as the crook grooves. It is there though and when I do 5050's on curbs it often throws me of.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

patrick c.

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3662 on: May 15, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
I know this has probably been discussed before but is there a difference in height between stage 10 and 11 indys?  Thinking about setting up a board with one of each but worried it will mess with my truck ocd.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3663 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »
I know this has probably been discussed before but is there a difference in height between stage 10 and 11 indys?  Thinking about setting up a board with one of each but worried it will mess with my truck ocd.
Stage 10’s are lower, I think same height as stage 11 forged, 53,5mm, while regular stage XI are 55mm tall.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3664 on: May 16, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »

Have a gnar for your efforts, those should go in the “grind down to the axle” thread

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3665 on: May 16, 2018, 01:14:31 AM »

Not only in height but response

11 are really up to date with today’s skating needing a quicker turn and deep

10 are a bit sticky, you gotta try for turns and they go deep but slow on response for turns. They were made for the era when people jumped down stairs and needed stability. If you want to make the turn quicker bones mediums were made perfectly for stage 10 in mind
yes

patrick c.

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3666 on: May 16, 2018, 02:15:07 AM »
Not what I wanted to hear but appreciate the responses
All you got is today, get out and skate.

TheBoognish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3667 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:22 AM »

Not only in height but response

11 are really up to date with today’s skating needing a quicker turn and deep

10 are a bit sticky, you gotta try for turns and they go deep but slow on response for turns. They were made for the era when people jumped down stairs and needed stability. If you want to make the turn quicker bones mediums were made perfectly for stage 10 in mind

Strangely enough, I'm running Stage 10 baseplates with Stage 11 hangers with Indy low (the blue ones) bushings on one of my setups and I really like it. Actually, I like it more than stock stage 11's. You can get them wobbly loose without losing too much stability. I also weigh close to 200 so take it for what it's worth.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #3668 on: May 16, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
not sure anything is different between the Stage 10 and Stage 11 baseplates... wasnt the change all in the hangar?  or was there a change in the height of the kingpin?

hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3669 on: May 16, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
not sure anything is different between the Stage 10 and Stage 11 baseplates... wasnt the change all in the hangar?  or was there a change in the height of the kingpin?

Baseplates are identical.  The only thing that changed was the hanger and having the cross on the front of the baseplate

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #3670 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »
lol just realized my shits got a crack running through it

also seems to have one coming from the same place on the front truck running horizontally. eh fuck it stick with em the wheels fall of.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #3671 on: May 16, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »
lol just realized my shits got a crack running through it

also seems to have one coming from the same place on the front truck running horizontally. eh fuck it stick with em the wheels fall of.

Warranty!

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #3672 on: May 16, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
i thought thunders were only warrantied against manufacturer defects? a crack from 2 years of skating and being down to the axle on the same spot it's cracked probably dont count lol

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3673 on: May 16, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
i thought thunders were only warrantied against manufacturer defects? a crack from 2 years of skating and being down to the axle on the same spot it's cracked probably dont count lol

I didn't notice they were the same pair at first.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3674 on: May 16, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
anyone have some extra regular ol' Indy cast base plates they are looking to get rid of?  preferably from the past couple of years...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3675 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
anyone have some extra regular ol' Indy cast base plates they are looking to get rid of?  preferably from the past couple of years...

Removed to keep the peace with Art ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:35:25 PM by Xen »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3676 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
please dont bring that garbage into the sacred 'gear' threads

EDIT:  damnit Xen, this is exactly why we dont need shit like that in the gear section.  now i feel like i have to explain myself.  by “garbage” i mean, making jokes in every other thread about the Jason Jesse thread detracts from the weight of the issues actually being discussed in there and needlessly makes the section of the boards where it’s still f”fun” to talk about skateboarding degenerate into something other than just talking about the pieces to a skateboard. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:13:01 PM by art hellman »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
« Reply #3677 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:27 PM »
The madness is my oasis......

Skating the thunder team hollows.  I like em...on a 51 mm wheel minimal wheelbite I think even the one mm makes a difference.  They are still light too.  Love the twitch.....I haven't skated them in a bowl or anything but so far happy with the turn.  Sized up to a 148. 

Haven't dropped in the krux kingpin and new bushings yet.  The stocks are a bit mushy but they don't stick.

Because it is the truck thread.....ever notice how one side of the axel sticks out more than the other?  I assume everything is still centered but.....koo...koo.....

Diocletian

« Reply #3678 on: May 16, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
I’d like to chime in like Steve did and rave about these new Ace’s. My 44’s are starting to groove, gettin my front kingpin nut nice and destroyed from slappies, and the stock bushings are heavenly. Pivot cups in perfect shape after all the abuse I’ve already given them. No loose kingpins, no worries. Pure truck paradise.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -403
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3679 on: May 16, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
I’d like to chime in like Steve did and rave about these new Ace’s. My 44’s are starting to groove, gettin my front kingpin nut nice and destroyed from slappies, and the stock bushings are heavenly. Pivot cups in perfect shape after all the abuse I’ve already given them. No loose kingpins, no worries. Pure truck paradise.
interest is indeed piqued, what's the break in period like?
#GMOsbeforeHoes #-65gforRyfe #teamdogdrugs

#lobsterlivesmatter #thenumbers1and8offendme #yearoftheeagle #tatergate2018

Diocletian

« Reply #3680 on: May 16, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
Break in period is non-existent besides grinding them down and gettin the groove going.

Also, in response to j soy, yeah I’ve had too many pairs of trucks of all different companies that had one side of the axle with longer threads. These new Aces are perfectly even on both sides, but they seem longer than before. Using one speed ring on the inside and out like normal and having some good space for the wheel to go back and forth, the axle sticks out a with a couple threads. Two rings on the inside will solve it though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:23:57 PM by Diocletian »

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3681 on: May 16, 2018, 07:18:43 PM »
Ahaha j soy “koo...koo...” that episode of the simpsons when Bart has to be in special ed class and teaches the other kids that phrase

Idk guys, I’m only riding thunders some of the time so I don’t get bullied for really liking mini logos

Remember Johnny who said they were the best and he even rode them over theeves

Yeah guys, they’re fun for flat and stairs

Idk about medium to big vert and tranny but I think they’re fine in a mini ramp too
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3682 on: May 16, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »
I had thunders on my ramp board but rode them tight....I remember the carve being a bit more shallow but I think it'll be fine.  Grinding is nice too....

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #3683 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »
debating trucks atm, currently running 149 teams with 1/8th risers and still getting wheelbite with 54s although thats probably down to the kingpin on the back not being seated properly lol. def gonna have to replace em soon, dunno if i wanna go for another set of 149s and chuck my bushings in or hop to something different like indy 149s or ace 44s, kinda leaning towards the 44s.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3684 on: May 17, 2018, 04:24:29 AM »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3685 on: May 17, 2018, 05:03:47 AM »
debating trucks atm, currently running 149 teams with 1/8th risers and still getting wheelbite with 54s although thats probably down to the kingpin on the back not being seated properly lol. def gonna have to replace em soon, dunno if i wanna go for another set of 149s and chuck my bushings in or hop to something different like indy 149s or ace 44s, kinda leaning towards the 44s.

Had same set up, had same problem. Kept a crayon on me for colouring in the wheel wells I was carving into the board.
Tried to go from Thunders to Aces and I found it a big jump to handle the snap turn point, got pitched a couple of times (they are now on my pub board).
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3686 on: May 17, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
Whoa...for a minute I thought you said atm truck.....like atm made trucks....like a John Fallahee mini logo.....

Indy is the correct answer but if you have to get it out of ya.....ACE it is......

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #3687 on: May 17, 2018, 06:43:52 AM »
i've tried indys out on my friends board and didnt particularly like them although that could also be to do with his board being much smaller than mine. are aces somewhere in the middle of the turn of indys and the responsiveness of thunder or is it something totally different?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3688 on: May 17, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »
i've tried indys out on my friends board and didnt particularly like them although that could also be to do with his board being much smaller than mine. are aces somewhere in the middle of the turn of indys and the responsiveness of thunder or is it something totally different?

Aces are built around/off older Indy geometry, Stage III era.

They turn faster and deeper than Indy and nowhere near how thunders feel. Theeve is the in between truck.

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #3689 on: May 17, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO