Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1227087 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4290 on: September 30, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Explain why hand soap makes it better?
[close]
Because it acts as a lubricant, reducing friction between the metal and plastic?

😂 you think you use soap to clean?

Explain why coconut oil makes me look so youthful.....

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #4291 on: September 30, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
I've been skating a pair of Theeve Tiax with a hollow kingpin for the last couple weeks and I really like them. First truck I've been able to feel stable on with stock (bones mediums) bushings.  I'm a big dude and I normally switch to hard bushings before I even set them up. I have them on a board with a 14.75wb and they feel better than anything I tried lately (Indy 149, thunder 149 hollow lights, mini logo).

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4292 on: September 30, 2018, 02:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Because it acts as a lubricant, reducing friction between the metal and plastic?

[close]

That’s not a youthful appearance, you’re just greasy.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4293 on: October 01, 2018, 02:31:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
That’s not a youthful appearance, you’re just greasy.
Since using coconut oil I have never looked better.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4294 on: October 02, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
Don't suppose anyone knows if the hangers from a Venture 5.8 Hi truck fit on the forged 5.2 Hi baseplate ok? Case I ever want to size up (a bit).

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4295 on: October 02, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Don't suppose anyone knows if the hangers from a Venture 5.8 Hi truck fit on the forged 5.2 Hi baseplate ok? Case I ever want to size up (a bit).

Same baseplates.  no fitment issues

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4296 on: October 02, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
I've been skating a pair of Theeve Tiax with a hollow kingpin for the last couple weeks and I really like them. First truck I've been able to feel stable on with stock (bones mediums) bushings.  I'm a big dude and I normally switch to hard bushings before I even set them up. I have them on a board with a 14.75wb and they feel better than anything I tried lately (Indy 149, thunder 149 hollow lights, mini logo).

Really? Usually mini logo and thunder do it for me with big type boards

yes

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #4297 on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I felt like I had to use risers with the minilogos no matter what wheel size I used. They felt good but I liked the thunders better and I wanted an 8.5 truck.  The theeves I tried on a whim. I feel more stable without having to run  hard bushings or tighter trucks. And they turn great. I wouldn't run them on anything shorter than 14.5 though.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4298 on: October 03, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I felt like I had to use risers with the minilogos no matter what wheel size I used. They felt good but I liked the thunders better and I wanted an 8.5 truck.  The theeves I tried on a whim. I feel more stable without having to run  hard bushings or tighter trucks. And they turn great. I wouldn't run them on anything shorter than 14.5 though.

Yeah last time I tried theeves again they felt like more shrunk in aces

I use to run the old v2 with a bushing setup  where the height of the truck was lower and I loved it but idk about the new geo

Haven’t tried any crazy bushing setups cause the kingpin got longer or something and no Bushings but the stock white bones knock offs fit right

I did like throwing the bones hards in but after a few days I realize nothing beats the feel of classic ole 100% urethane bushings

The bones are nice on rebound and quickness but man they do not for the life of me have stability

That plastic insert doesn’t help me much 
yes

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4299 on: October 04, 2018, 04:23:26 AM »
i've been using indy 159s with 90a conical independent bushings with top washer on back, no washers on front, and an upsidedown kingpin nut on front . there was little to no break in period and the rebound felt really nice. you could get a deep turn without wheelbiting and the turning radius was noticeably tighter than stock bushings without a bottom washer setup.

when i bought these, i thought they were going to be too hard so i bought 88a conicals aswell, thinking they were going to be, you know? softer.

so i put them on my 169s with the exact same setting. i've been riding them for a week, and they still don't feel broken in. the rebound is horrendous. in fact they dont rebound at all. they almost feel plasticky. they feel harder also, but wheelbite easier. sounds impossible but it's how it feels to me.

now, this could be because i'm riding 169s instead of 159s and i'm also using a board with a bit more shallow concave than what i rode my 159s on. but, this board has a shorter wheel base. i just don't think these factors are what made the bushings feel so shitty. i also tried taking the top washer off but it still feels like shit. has anybody else had this experience? is 88a lower quality urethane? are any other durometers like this?

side note: do the 78a ones feel most like the stock bushings? 88a barrel bottoms were way too hard.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4300 on: October 04, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
i've been using indy 159s with 90a conical independent bushings with top washer on back, no washers on front, and an upsidedown kingpin nut on front . there was little to no break in period and the rebound felt really nice. you could get a deep turn without wheelbiting and the turning radius was noticeably tighter than stock bushings without a bottom washer setup.

when i bought these, i thought they were going to be too hard so i bought 88a conicals aswell, thinking they were going to be, you know? softer.

so i put them on my 169s with the exact same setting. i've been riding them for a week, and they still don't feel broken in. the rebound is horrendous. in fact they dont rebound at all. they almost feel plasticky. they feel harder also, but wheelbite easier. sounds impossible but it's how it feels to me.

now, this could be because i'm riding 169s instead of 159s and i'm also using a board with a bit more shallow concave than what i rode my 159s on. but, this board has a shorter wheel base. i just don't think these factors are what made the bushings feel so shitty. i also tried taking the top washer off but it still feels like shit. has anybody else had this experience? is 88a lower quality urethane? are any other durometers like this?

side note: do the 78a ones feel most like the stock bushings? 88a barrel bottoms were way too hard.

I remember reading somewhere that the Stage XI work best with cylinder bottoms, design-wise to prevent wheebite.

The 88a cyl/con are the best they make IMO if you like to ride loose - they do take a long time to break in.

The stocks are supposedly 90/92a or something but I find them softer and shittier.

Also, flat washers all around if I use them at all, the purpose of the cupwashers is all but useless in this day and age.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4301 on: October 04, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
I've read somewhere (sure it's here) that stocks are 88a, but made in a shitty urethane to make sure you'll buy aftermarket ones

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #4302 on: October 05, 2018, 04:22:53 PM »
I know most of you guys hate bones in Indys because they break, change the truck’s geometry etc... but this guy is 100% correct. Do what he says and your new trucks will feel like you been skating them for weeks.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4303 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
I realized what matters to picking a truck for more experienced skaters is

What kind of geo you prefer(more turnability or stability/staying centered)

Height(high or low obviously)

Weight

Weight kinda doesn’t matter but it legit does help
yes

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4304 on: October 06, 2018, 12:28:36 AM »
I realized what matters to picking a truck for more experienced skaters is

What kind of geo you prefer(more turnability or stability/staying centered)

Height(high or low obviously)

Weight

Weight kinda doesn’t matter but it legit does help

I think weight is the one thing that we usually compromise. Forge plate Indy's have the geometry and height for the wheels and skating I'm used to. But I'll always prefer the feel of heavy cast plates.

Skateforever

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4305 on: October 06, 2018, 05:24:47 AM »
Indy's all the way. For no other reason than that's what I've always ridden, apart from a short period in the late 80's when I was on those Gullwings that always cracked.

For me it's mainly nostalgia but I also love how Indy trucks look. There is something solid and no noncense about them.

Currently riding two sets of Stage 11, one hollow forged and one standards. Both awesome and supremely reliable. I've never seen the point with trying other trucks, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4306 on: October 06, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »
I'm all about the team.....

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4307 on: October 06, 2018, 10:35:14 PM »
Indy's all the way. For no other reason than that's what I've always ridden, apart from a short period in the late 80's when I was on those Gullwings that always cracked.

For me it's mainly nostalgia but I also love how Indy trucks look. There is something solid and no noncense about them.

Currently riding two sets of Stage 11, one hollow forged and one standards. Both awesome and supremely reliable. I've never seen the point with trying other trucks, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thats how i feel about thunders. Plus the price for them is good here in AUS at $75 or so.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4308 on: October 07, 2018, 03:28:24 AM »
I only said the obvious because I notice

I do like low trucks cause of the response and control but I hate certain low truck geometry

Sadly especially ventures and how pushed out they are,

I do okay with thunders but oddly to me indy lows give me the most control and response with the classic cylinder bushings

Thunders respond better with speed and flip just right but man the indy lows just feel more in control. The thunders are definitely lighter but idk, sometimes they don’t respond the way I want them too
yes

hey pickle

« Reply #4309 on: October 07, 2018, 06:40:12 AM »

I do like low trucks cause of the response and control but I hate certain low truck geometry

I do okay with thunders but oddly to me indy lows give me the most control and response with the classic cylinder bushings

Thunders respond better with speed and flip just right but man the indy lows just feel more in control. The thunders are definitely lighter but idk, sometimes they don’t respond the way I want them too

you tried mini logo rob?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4310 on: October 07, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you tried mini logo rob?

Haha have I?

Look mini logo trucks up on the search bar
yes

hey pickle

« Reply #4311 on: October 07, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
my bad

seek help

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #4312 on: October 08, 2018, 03:34:18 AM »
I’m skating Thunder 149s on an 8.375 board now. I put extra soft Indy bushings on top and boiled stock Thunder bushings on bottom. Floaty and surfy, loving it. Better than the Indys in both positions as well as the stock set.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4313 on: October 10, 2018, 01:51:37 AM »
I currently have thunder 149 and bones hardcore soft in it, any one have a suggestion on modify loose like matt Rodriguez?

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4314 on: October 10, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
I currently have thunder 149 and bones hardcore soft in it, any one have a suggestion on modify loose like matt Rodriguez?

Thunders really aren't meant to be ridden that loose. You'll get wheel bite constantly unless you put some super thick risers on and even then they wouldn't lend themselves well to a deep carve. I'd recommend just getting Ace if that's what you're after.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4315 on: October 10, 2018, 10:27:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunders really aren't meant to be ridden that loose. You'll get wheel bite constantly unless you put some super thick risers on and even then they wouldn't lend themselves well to a deep carve. I'd recommend just getting Ace if that's what you're after.

Probably next set up, currently these thunders is all I have to work with for now, I do ride 53s and I have skated ok with it.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #4316 on: October 12, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
I am using cast baseplate Indy stage 11 highs btw.

So I haven't used bones bushings for a while since the bushings are not the same height as the Indy ones and cause the infamous "click" but I checked and the bottom Indy stock bushing with the stock bottom washer is the same exact height  as the bones bottom with the flat black bones washer.

I used the bones washer on the bottom and the stock Indy one on the top to protect the plastic piece on the bones and it makes the truck sit in the hanger almost identical to the stock Indy bushings.

The bones now have no click and feel super responsive and bounce back in place even super loose compared to the aftermarket Indy mediums which, although waaaay better than stock, still feel gummy in way compared to the bones.

Think this is my perfect truck!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4317 on: October 13, 2018, 07:40:16 AM »
It'd be sick if we had a chart of the heights for the top and bottom bushing for each truck. 

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4318 on: October 13, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »

So I haven't used bones bushings for a while since the bushings are not the same height as the Indy ones and cause the infamous "click" but I checked and the bottom Indy stock bushing with the stock bottom washer is the same exact height  as the bones bottom with the flat black bones washer.

I used the bones washer on the bottom and the stock Indy one on the top to protect the plastic piece on the bones and it makes the truck sit in the hanger almost identical to the stock Indy bushings.

The bones now have no click and feel super responsive and bounce back in place even super loose compared to the aftermarket Indy mediums which, although waaaay better than stock, still feel gummy in way compared to the bones.

Isn't the top bones bushing taller than the Indy?  Bones should just include black washers for the tops and bottoms

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4319 on: October 13, 2018, 09:05:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Isn't the top bones bushing taller than the Indy?  Bones should just include black washers for the tops and bottoms
bones top bushings and stock indy bushings are the same height at 11mm. aftermarket indys are 10mm. bones with two flat washers don't fit on indys, unless you shave down the nut or have older stage indys with longer kingpins. also, bones bottom bushings lose a millimetre once they're broken in and the stock bottom washers are 2mm while bones flat washers are 1mm. if you don't have, or lose track of those flat washers you can always use the stock one.