Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220817 times)

N.L.

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
Just bought some aftermarket Indy Soft bushings. The red ones. Love them. Only bushing I can ride. I'm a big guy and I ride medium to loose trucks. Anything harder crumbles.

What thinking about trying the super soft Indy bushings. They're white. Didn't even know they made those. White bushings would be a lot easier on the eyes.

Anybody ever had the white ones??

Curious about those also. I use the reds and thought about mixing it up with the whites... let us know if you try em...

Such

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
do theeve trucks come with bones bushings? the look identical.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »

Yes

Such

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes

good i im using some thunders and the bushings suck. hows the turning on theeves?

ZEBRA

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Just bought some aftermarket Indy Soft bushings. The red ones. Love them. Only bushing I can ride. I'm a big guy and I ride medium to loose trucks. Anything harder crumbles.

What thinking about trying the super soft Indy bushings. They're white. Didn't even know they made those. White bushings would be a lot easier on the eyes.

Anybody ever had the white ones??
[close]

Curious about those also. I use the reds and thought about mixing it up with the whites... let us know if you try em...

Will do. Probably buying some this weekend. Hopefully it stops raining next week...

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

good i im using some thunders and the bushings suck. hows the turning on theeves?

Good....like an Indy I think.....unfortunately they say Theeve on them.....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2016, 07:20:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

Theeve are great, very much like an Indy, used to be lighter but no longer, stock bones; I always found them sort of a Thunder/Indy hybrid: faster carve/turn than Indy, more carvy/turny than Thunder - I found them difficult to adjust too after riding aces for so long.

BMCsteve

« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2016, 08:52:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

Theeve are great, very much like an Indy, used to be lighter but no longer, stock bones; I always found them sort of a Thunder/Indy hybrid: faster carve/turn than Indy, more carvy/turny than Thunder - I found them difficult to adjust too after riding aces for so long.

Second that for Theeve.  The TiKings were the best trucks I've ever skated.  However, I kept having issues with the kingpin rounding the baseplate so I gave up on them.  Not sure if they've fixed that issue but I'm assuming they haven't since the baseplate is still the same

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

I recently did the krux downlow kingpin swap with some TiKings and the clearance is crazy on smiths.  I only had the kingpin/baseplate problems on the first run set I had which were the V2 TiAX.

BMCsteve

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
I recently did the krux downlow kingpin swap with some TiKings and the clearance is crazy on smiths.  I only had the kingpin/baseplate problems on the first run set I had which were the V2 TiAX.

Nice.  Got any pics of that Krux kingpin on the Tikings?  How hard was it to hammer out the kingpin from the Theeve baseplate?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
recently went back to plain ol Indy 149 with regular hangers.... only modification = bones med
hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »
recently went back to plain ol Indy 149 with regular hangers.... only modification = bones med

I'm still flip-flopping between two setups, one with Thunder 149 and one with Indy 149 and can't decide between the two.  They both have advantages and drawbacks over each other.

Was there anything in particular that made you go back to Indy or just to change things up?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Nice.  Got any pics of that Krux kingpin on the Tikings?  How hard was it to hammer out the kingpin from the Theeve baseplate?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BASb29Qo_J0/?taken-by=layzieyez

It wasn't hard to pound out and I actually used the idea of an old kingfoam insole wrapped around the handle of my hatchet I posted before to pound it out.  My method involves dry wall screwing the baseplate into a piece of 2x4 to keep the whole thing solid and keeping the target from moving.  It only took about a dozen solid smacks.

BMCsteve

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BASb29Qo_J0/?taken-by=layzieyez

It wasn't hard to pound out and I actually used the idea of an old kingfoam insole wrapped around the handle of my hatchet I posted before to pound it out.  My method involves dry wall screwing the baseplate into a piece of 2x4 to keep the whole thing solid and keeping the target from moving.  It only took about a dozen solid smacks.

That's awesome man.  Theeve already have pretty good kingpin clearance but that is insane.  It looks like you'll grind through the entire axle before reaching the kingpin.  Nice work

coneklr

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
If anyone wants a set of those Krux kingpins pm me.  I bought a set but really wanted to skate so I just hooked my board up so I could go and I'm too lazy to take it apart at this point haha

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm still flip-flopping between two setups, one with Thunder 149 and one with Indy 149 and can't decide between the two.  They both have advantages and drawbacks over each other.

Was there anything in particular that made you go back to Indy or just to change things up?

1) looser/surf turn (for me, once you get to a certain looseness on Thunders, they just sorta flop over and lose all control)
2) height (less wheel bite)
3) look (I prefer the shape/design of the indy hanger to any other truck)
4) time (i've spent more time skating indy than any other truck...so there's a general sense of "well, these worked for this long...")

BMCsteve

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

1) looser/surf turn (for me, once you get to a certain looseness on Thunders, they just sorta flop over and lose all control)
4) time (i've spent more time skating indy than any other truck...so there's a general sense of "well, these worked for this long...")

Pretty similar to what I've found -

Indy - smoother deeper turn, more stable on manuals and landings (this could be due to using the cylinder aftermarket bottom bushings) and every time I step on my Indy setup I immediately think "ahh, this feels right"

Thunder - Pop.  I have no idea why but I can simply pop higher on Thunder's than any other trucks.  I don't think it has anything to do with weight.  It might be the axle placement being pushed out a bit further than Indy.  This one thing is what keeps my trying Thunder.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy - smoother deeper turn, more stable on manuals and landings (this could be due to using the cylinder aftermarket bottom bushings) and every time I step on my Indy setup I immediately think "ahh, this feels right"

Thunder - Pop.  I have no idea why but I can simply pop higher on Thunder's than any other trucks.  I don't think it has anything to do with weight.  It might be the axle placement being pushed out a bit further than Indy.  This one thing is what keeps my trying Thunder.

what hardness of the indy aftermarket bushings? do you use a bottom washer?

BMCsteve

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

what hardness of the indy aftermarket bushings? do you use a bottom washer?

I'm using the 90a red "soft" cylinder bottom bushings with both washers and the nut tightened flush.  They're softer than the stock Indy bushings (with much better rebound) but they seem to get firmer the deeper you turn.  They give a loose feel but almost eliminate wheelbite.

The only downside is that they take about 3 sessions to break in 

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
anyone know what the deal is with these ave independent trucks?

http://www.nhsfunfactory.com/micro/15/12/independent-ave

BMCsteve

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:03 PM »

Standard Indy's with solid kingpin, solid axle and cast baseplate with a matte/satin clear coat.  The white bushings/black hardware looks cool if you care about that type of thing

N.L.

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i flip flop between indy and thunders also but 159s and 151s. i find the timing of the pop better on indys and a deeper turn. thunders are lighter, lower and quicker to respond. both great trucks and i can never make up my mind what i prefer....

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard Indy's with solid kingpin, solid axle and cast baseplate with a matte/satin clear coat.  The white bushings/black hardware looks cool if you care about that type of thing
They must have put the wrong specs on the 139's info because they're listed as measuring a 7.6" hanger.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
lately I've been having a problem with one of my trucks. on one side only, the outer bearing keeps slowly coming out of the wheel. I've tried cleaning my bearings and rotating them. the wheels are new too so I'm thinking something is wrong with the axle of my truck. it's really strange. anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2016, 06:45:55 PM »
lately I've been having a problem with one of my trucks. on one side only, the outer bearing keeps slowly coming out of the wheel. I've tried cleaning my bearings and rotating them. the wheels are new too so I'm thinking something is wrong with the axle of my truck. it's really strange. anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?
Maybe bearing seat(I think its called, hole either way) is defective on that side?. Especially if its been happening since you put the new wheels on

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »
that would suck but I have another set of wheels I can try if the problem continues. thanks.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
Had that problem with a set of v2 STFs before. Everytime my board would land primo the bearing for one of the wheels would pop out and it would lock the wheel up. Ended up giving em to a friend who didn't care.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2016, 02:32:47 AM »

I'm starting to like not having the top washer on my trucks. I also find that if you bend it to a certain point, it starts to cut away at your top bushing then it leads to it being blown out or separate in half.

I'm interested in trying these and thought if anyone has ever tried them. I know Bone's makes hard plastic ends on their bushings but they tend to crack easily especially the top if you don't use a washer.

Need feedback on khiro pivot cups too and how they compare to the indy version.

I just replaced the pivot cups on the redesigned Ace 44's i just got and the indy pivot cups sits loose and doesn't fit right but they're less squeaky and seems to be holding up pretty well. i figured since khiro makes bushings and pivot cups mainly, wouldn't it be a universal fit?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2016, 03:29:02 AM »
I had a few sets of those and I've blown them out.  They're good, but aren't indestructible.  It was a while ago so I can't tell you how long a set lasted me.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2016, 05:06:10 AM »
I had a set of the yellow khiro bushings (92a). I put them in a pair of Indy's and within two sessions they were completely shredded, and the metal inserts were clanking around. I think these are more suited for cruiser/longboard setups.