Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220859 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »

I'm starting to like not having the top washer on my trucks. I also find that if you bend it to a certain point, it starts to cut away at your top bushing then it leads to it being blown out or separate in half.

I'm interested in trying these and thought if anyone has ever tried them. I know Bone's makes hard plastic ends on their bushings but they tend to crack easily especially the top if you don't use a washer.

Need feedback on khiro pivot cups too and how they compare to the indy version.

I just replaced the pivot cups on the redesigned Ace 44's i just got and the indy pivot cups sits loose and doesn't fit right but they're less squeaky and seems to be holding up pretty well. i figured since khiro makes bushings and pivot cups mainly, wouldn't it be a universal fit?

I hate Indy pivot cups so much, with the constant squeaking, that I replace them right off the bat. I've been using the hard khiro pivot cups for a while. I like them. They're quiet and haven't blown out. If you order make sure you get the small ones, I guess the large are for longboard trucks.
you never know about pre-cum 

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm starting to like not having the top washer on my trucks. I also find that if you bend it to a certain point, it starts to cut away at your top bushing then it leads to it being blown out or separate in half.

I'm interested in trying these and thought if anyone has ever tried them. I know Bone's makes hard plastic ends on their bushings but they tend to crack easily especially the top if you don't use a washer.

I just replaced the pivot cups on the redesigned Ace 44's i just got and the indy pivot cups sits loose and doesn't fit right but they're less squeaky and seems to be holding up pretty well. i figured since khiro makes bushings and pivot cups mainly, wouldn't it be a universal fit?
[close]

I hate Indy pivot cups so much, with the constant squeaking, that I replace them right off the bat. I've been using the hard khiro pivot cups for a while. I like them. They're quiet and haven't blown out. If you order make sure you get the small ones, I guess the large are for longboard trucks.
I'd been riding bones bushings without washers for a while. As I got more and more into curbs, I would blow out the top bushings, quick, like in a week or so. I set up with medium Khiro  aluminum inserts on top, bones hard on bottom and soft Khiro pivot cups. Rode like a dream, super carvey/surfy, yet still stable for wobblers. After a month or so of slappies, mainly crooks, the top on disintegrated. I'd say about twice the life span of bones, but I'm back to riding washers. When your kingpin's this ground down you can't go changing bushings every month.

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »
I tried the black khiro metal insert bushings and they're hard as rocks. Could not break them in, even with the trucks Daewon clanky loose the board would not turn, just lean  :o

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2016, 07:41:40 AM »

where do you find em?
hardly art, hardly starving

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

where do you find em?
http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3599
you never know about pre-cum 

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I'd been riding bones bushings without washers for a while. As I got more and more into curbs, I would blow out the top bushings, quick, like in a week or so. I set up with medium Khiro  aluminum inserts on top, bones hard on bottom and soft Khiro pivot cups. Rode like a dream, super carvey/surfy, yet still stable for wobblers. After a month or so of slappies, mainly crooks, the top on disintegrated. I'd say about twice the life span of bones, but I'm back to riding washers. When your kingpin's this ground down you can't go changing bushings every month.

I'm really trying to get accustomed to Ace because i want trucks to be truly loose without having to go all Matt Rodriguez. I've had Indy's since forever and i just set my cruiser/slappy set up with the Indy Soft Bushings and something about the geometry of the truck that keeps it really stable that the rebound that you get when it center's it back is so on point but it doesn't give you that true loose feel that Ace does. I absolutely despise stock bushings because they feel soggy and almost too bouncy that it feel's like your skating in 78a wheels. I wanna find a bushing that feels like bones mediums that can fit Ace's without the kingpin sticking out.

I noticed that on Ace's that even if i replaced the stock pivot cups which blew out way quicker(3 days) than the indy's(1 week) atleast the indy's weren't squeaky. They just didn't sit right for some reason on the pivot cup hole. As far as durability on the khiro's soft or hard! i want know if they last a good while. As I too am skating more curbs than usual and i've made my indy pivot cups last almost a year till it's completely blown out of the pivot cup hole.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »
Are Ace 44's 8.25" on the dot?

And does anybody know where I can get the new ones from?

BMCsteve

« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
Are Ace 44's 8.25" on the dot?

And does anybody know where I can get the new ones from?

they're actually 8.38.  Skatewarehouse and Socalskateshop have the new models in stock

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
Thanks man!

You wouldn't happen to know if they are taller than regular indys?

Xtal

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Thanks man!

You wouldn't happen to know if they are taller than regular indys?

They're 53mm tall but since they turn so well there's pretty much no wheelbite unless you ride huge wheels without a riser. SkateWarehouse is sold out of the 44's, go with SoCalSkateShop if you can't get them at your local shop.

N.L.

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
I just bit the bullet and got some 44s from Unheard. Figured, I can't continue to talk shit on Ace until I've given them a fair run and if I don't like them, they can go on my cruiser....

https://www.unheardpdx.com/trucks/ace-44s

They are the new beefed up hangars despite the photo....

Xtal

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
I just bit the bullet and got some 44s from Unheard. Figured, I can't continue to talk shit on Ace until I've given them a fair run and if I don't like them, they can go on my cruiser....

https://www.unheardpdx.com/trucks/ace-44s

They are the new beefed up hangars despite the photo....

Finally, you been slackin' fool! You're gonna love 'em.

N.L.

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
We'll see... I just compared them with my Thunders and Indys. The Ace 44s are a tiny bit higher than the Thunders 151 (with regular baseplates) but also heavier (which might not be a fair comparison since my thunders are at axle). The Ace are maybe a couple of mms lower than Indy 149 stage 11 and seem about the same weight, perhaps this is due to the beefier hangar?

The weather is absolute dog shit at the moment so no idea when I'll get to try them... maybe an indoor session...

If they work out maybe I'll see about some 55s. They certainly look sick. In the past when I tried them on friends' boards I didn't like the grind on chunky pool coping but like I said, I'll give them a solid run now I have my own pair.

Xtal

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2016, 09:30:16 PM »
They are 2mm shorter than Indy Standards and .7 taller than Thunder Hi's. Just be patient, as it will feel weird when grinding at first but that's just the trucks locking you in towards the wheel so you build in those grooves easier. After just a few hours you'll already start to become one with the trucks 8)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »
If you ride loose ACE and Khiro don't mix well due to the size yoke hole on the aces -  I was running red bottoms/blue tops and the hanger would just eat away at the bushing, too soft and too loose maybe?

Khiro are great but I don't find them as snappy as bones or indy after markets.

Xtal

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »
Unless you're Matt Rodriguez, I don't understand why people replace Ace's bushings. They're resilient and have the perfect hardness, and I'm a big dude. Other than what I've read about Krux you won't find a better stock bushing than those two truck companies.

ferraveemo

« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2016, 02:09:10 AM »
Unless you're Matt Rodriguez, I don't understand why people replace Ace's bushings. They're resilient and have the perfect hardness, and I'm a big dude. Other than what I've read about Krux you won't find a better stock bushing than those two truck companies.

My dude...i blew through those stock bushings and stock pivot cups and i didn't even tighten them to a point that it would mush out. I tighten them to a point that you can only see 2 threads of the kingpin sticking out or till the washers are intact and aren't clacking. Point is i just don't like it when the kingpin sticks out period. it's personal preference!

I like Ace, i just want them to be more durable than Indy's. If the next big "truck" company comes out. i hope it turns like Ace but last like indy's.

I'm referencing Matt Rodriguez since people nowadays go out of their way to get their trucks loose! i'm not going that route. Loose for me is when my turns are dipped easily without putting too much lean on the rails of the board. I also like full control of the board like driving a car without steering wheel fluid<<<personal preference

ferraveemo

« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2016, 02:17:56 AM »
If you ride loose ACE and Khiro don't mix well due to the size yoke hole on the aces -  I was running red bottoms/blue tops and the hanger would just eat away at the bushing, too soft and too loose maybe?

thanks for the feedback. I prefer bones over anything but they fit too small for Ace's. I even tried putting 2 bottom bushings and they didn't work out due to the geometry of the truck. I find that if you put the bottom bushing on top with another bottom bushing below. the top part touches the hanger. if you use a top washer, it makes it even worse! because that washer will saw/embed itself into the hanger. I wanna try trimming the kingpin a little but idk what the right method will do. Bones do fit on Aces fine, i just don't like the way the kingpin sticks out. The redesign already has a lower kingpin compare to the original(with stock bushings) fyi.

BMCsteve

« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2016, 04:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the feedback. I prefer bones over anything but they fit too small for Ace's. I even tried putting 2 bottom bushings and they didn't work out due to the geometry of the truck. I find that if you put the bottom bushing on top with another bottom bushing below. the top part touches the hanger. if you use a top washer, it makes it even worse! because that washer will saw/embed itself into the hanger. I wanna try trimming the kingpin a little but idk what the right method will do. Bones do fit on Aces fine, i just don't like the way the kingpin sticks out. The redesign already has a lower kingpin compare to the original(with stock bushings) fyi.

I was wondering if they were ever going to lower the kingpin.  it always seemed unnecessarily long and looked like they have less clearance than Indy or Thunder.

Anyone have a pic of the new kingpin clearance?  hard to find any shots of the redesigned truck online

N.L.

« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2016, 09:15:29 AM »

I'm guessing its the same, at about the height of the middle of the axle?

Xtal

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
Ace had a lower kingpin before the Stage 11 came out, Indy was just catching up.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2016, 08:38:59 AM »
beer getter> 129s / bones soft
old trusty> indy 149s / bones medium 
I also have a setup with ACE 55s. I seriously love them. The set I got came with super long kingpins though...like almost even with the hanger.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2016, 06:51:14 AM »
I like the hardware on my trucks really tight so the baseplates don't move around when I skate. In the past I've also had nuts rattle off so I'm left with only a bolt. What's the best way to get your hardware really tight without causing premature stress cracks in the deck?

BMCsteve

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2016, 07:19:50 AM »
I like the hardware on my trucks really tight so the baseplates don't move around when I skate. In the past I've also had nuts rattle off so I'm left with only a bolt. What's the best way to get your hardware really tight without causing premature stress cracks in the deck?

I tighten my hardware down to where it's just above flush with the grip tape.  The plastic on the nuts is what keeps everything tight so you need at least 2-3 threads of bolt showing above the nut.  If you do that and they are falling off still, that means you need new hardware.

If they are still rattling loose for some reason, you can put a drop of loctite on each nut before screwing them on
http://low.es/1nqyqMT

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tighten my hardware down to where it's just above flush with the grip tape.  The plastic on the nuts is what keeps everything tight so you need at least 2-3 threads of bolt showing above the nut.  If you do that and they are falling off still, that means you need new hardware.

If they are still rattling loose for some reason, you can put a drop of loctite on each nut before screwing them on

I have 7/8 hardware that are tightened flush. Still get a bit of baseplate movement but not sure if anything can be done. Just a native feature of skateboards. Was wondering if there are any special tricks to prevent it.

Xtal

« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
Ok guys come on I'll nerd the fuck out with you over trucks and shit but worrying about hardware? As long as you use all eight bolts of the proper size and tighten it down securely you're fine. It's normal for the trucks to have the teeniest tiniest movement when you grab the hanger and try to turn the baseplate.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
^the thing that sucks about it is over time your bolt holes get all huge and loose like camel toe.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I tighten my hardware down to where it's just above flush with the grip tape.� The plastic on the nuts is what keeps everything tight so you need at least 2-3 threads of bolt showing above the nut.� If you do that and they are falling off still, that means you need new hardware.

[close]

I have 7/8 hardware that are tightened flush. Still get a bit of baseplate movement but not sure if anything can be done. Just a native feature of skateboards. Was wondering if there are any special tricks to prevent it.
Using a thin riser really helps the truck to board connection, the baseplate stays put, and its easier to get your bolts locked down tight with out cracking. Not sure why more people don't use them, they are pretty damn helpful imo, also just a thin riser makes huge difference if you ride loose trucks, it massively reduces wheel bite, especially key with wheels over 52-53

Xtal

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
^the thing that sucks about it is over time your bolt holes get all huge and loose like camel toe.

I've never had that happen. I still don't think it would be enough to make your baseplate turn 90 degrees and leave you splattered on concrete though.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I tighten my hardware down to where it's just above flush with the grip tape.� The plastic on the nuts is what keeps everything tight so you need at least 2-3 threads of bolt showing above the nut.� If you do that and they are falling off still, that means you need new hardware.

[close]

[close]
Using a thin riser really helps the truck to board connection, the baseplate stays put, and its easier to get your bolts locked down tight with out cracking. Not sure why more people don't use them, they are pretty damn helpful imo, also just a thin riser makes huge difference if you ride loose trucks, it massively reduces wheel bite, especially key with wheels over 52-53

hm maybe I'll get some. I have some on my cruiser but haven't used them on my regular board in forever.