Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220837 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:44 PM »
Can't remember exactly but i'm pretty sure mine are a 10th of an inch, just keep in mind the holes for most risers are made to fit Indy's specs, thunder makes 1/8 inch ones, but if you want them a bit thinner, it will require some alterations to the holes to be perfectly squared up with the base plate.

Xtal

« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »
If you ride standard Indy highs with an 1/8" riser you'll be pretty high off the ground. It made me feel very disconnected from my board. 1/4" and 1/2" was unbearable. Only supposed to really use risers if you're going over 56mm wheels. Low or mid trucks with an 1/8" riser will be fine though. *Make sure you get hard plastic risers* The rubber ones will lose their thickness over time and cause your hardware to become loose. Rubber also makes nose/tailslides stickier.

N.L.

« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
OK truck nerds, please tell me the Ace bushings loosen up nicely when broken in? Nightmare session today, I couldn't get my 44s loose enough with the stock bushings... I was hoping to make these trucks work with stock parts...

What  bushings are everyone using in their Aces?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
Can't remember exactly but i'm pretty sure mine are a 10th of an inch, just keep in mind the holes for most risers are made to fit Indy's specs, thunder makes 1/8 inch ones, but if you want them a bit thinner, it will require some alterations to the holes to be perfectly squared up with the base plate.

where did you get 1/10 risers? the thinnest I could find are 1/8.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »
OK truck nerds, please tell me the Ace bushings loosen up nicely when broken in? Nightmare session today, I couldn't get my 44s loose enough with the stock bushings... I was hoping to make these trucks work with stock parts...

I hated the stock bushings, ditched them after maybe 3 sessions. Put bones soft in for a month until they shredded. They were absurdly loose with the bones so I just went back to the stock bushings and actually really liked them. I must have been one session away from breaking them in before I gave up on them. Have been riding them with both washers, kingpin nut tightened flush for about 6 months. I say give them a few more sessions and see if they soften up enough for you.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2016, 05:25:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mini-logo, after looking it up mine are definitely the 1/10, they are the hard rubber ones, which work really well for me, the rubber is really quite firm and once you tighten them the compression makes them pretty much as hard as the plastic ones, that's what I think anyway. I'd say definitely give them a shot if you want to keep your baseplate super locked in place, when I take my trucks off I have to really yank them to get them off the deck and stay in place even with all the bolts out.

Xtal

« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »

Calm down dude, all bushings gotta break in! Give it a few more sessions.

N.L.

« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
There's no 'calm down' when it comes to new trucks.

Thunder feel good out of the box. Already thrown these Aces in the river and I'm back on my 151s...

Xtal

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
Lol I've rode every truck out there that's worth buying (Krux not yet), even Thunders and they definitely aren't good right out of the box especially with those shitty stock bushings. If you're really that impatient try some softer bushings in the Ace's. You're nuts if you're going to completely disregard them after one session.

N.L.

« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »
I'll fish 'em out and give them another chance. Your reputation now hinges on my success with these trucks, matey.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2016, 06:42:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Mini-logo, after looking it up mine are definitely the 1/10, they are the hard rubber ones, which work really well for me, the rubber is really quite firm and once you tighten them the compression makes them pretty much as hard as the plastic ones, that's what I think anyway. I'd say definitely give them a shot if you want to keep your baseplate super locked in place, when I take my trucks off I have to really yank them to get them off the deck and stay in place even with all the bolts out.

thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try some out.

N.L.

« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I hated the stock bushings, ditched them after maybe 3 sessions. Put bones soft in for a month until they shredded. They were absurdly loose with the bones so I just went back to the stock bushings and actually really liked them. I must have been one session away from breaking them in before I gave up on them. Have been riding them with both washers, kingpin nut tightened flush for about 6 months. I say give them a few more sessions and see if they soften up enough for you.

Good to know. Its been a few years since I had new trucks as I've been rotating a a couple of pairs of nicely broken in trucks for awhile...

Xtal

« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
I'll fish 'em out and give them another chance. Your reputation now hinges on my success with these trucks, matey.

I like how you described your process as "thrown these in the river" and "I'll fish 'em out". I actually envision you as Lee Ralph literally taking a fishing pole with a hook and worm trying to get some Ace's to bite. Crackin' me up dude...

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

If you can't find those mini logo 1/10 risers, or want some that are even thinner, dooks makes a hard plastic 1/16 inch riser. They also make these things called silencers that are just a super thin piece of foam. They have both on socal
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:19:44 AM by bluntstofakie »
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
If you can't find those mini logo 1/10 risers, or want some that are even thinner, dooks makes a hard plastic 1/16 inch riser. They also make these things called silencers that are just a super thin piece of foam. They have both on socal

Radical. Thanks for the heads up. Gonna try all these out.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2016, 10:52:53 AM »

Thunder feel good out of the box. Already thrown these Aces in the river and I'm back on my 151s...

Different strokes for different blokes!

ACE bushings are probably the second best stock bushings out there this side of Krux.

Krux bushings in Aces fit perfectly (Kurx pivot cups do not) as they are the same height, i.e. taller than most bottom barrels and conicals; even taller than indy but you can force them in indys and they work swimmingly.

feel amazing feeling, that's what's soo good about krux (other than the grinding, which is voodoo) the bushings are so damn good. Bones soft bottoms and krux tops also work well in thunders.

Thunders feel like crap to me out of the box, much too tight. For me to get thunders dialed I need bones softs or indy 88a conicals, anything else is too tight.

ACEs feel better than thunders out of the box but still not right as their bushings are around the same duro, 92/94.

Conicals in aces get them flooping around. Not a fan.

N.L.

« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
i just put some smashed and squished, worn and torn old thunder top bushings (they are significantly shorter) in my aces with the stock ace bottoms. much better. slight rattle but very little wheel bite. i have some broken in krux bushings also but they are a tad hard for my taste.

Xtal

« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2016, 11:04:33 AM »
i just put some smashed and squished, worn and torn old thunder top bushings (they are significantly shorter) in my aces with the stock ace bottoms. much better. slight rattle but very little wheel bite. i have some broken in krux bushings also but they are a tad hard for my taste.

With that top Thunder bushing though, those Ace's look all ugly now. Use the broken in Krux top bushings if you need to since they're also white. Or better yet, man up and break in those Ace stocks, player!

N.L.

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »
my thunder bushings are white. got a few sets, i always keep old bushings.

Xtal

« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
^ma nigguh

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Different strokes for different blokes!

ACE bushings are probably the second best stock bushings out there this side of Krux.

Krux bushings in Aces fit perfectly (Kurx pivot cups do not) as they are the same height, i.e. taller than most bottom barrels and conicals; even taller than indy but you can force them in indys and they work swimmingly.

feel amazing feeling, that's what's soo good about krux (other than the grinding, which is voodoo) the bushings are so damn good. Bones soft bottoms and krux tops also work well in thunders.

Thunders feel like crap to me out of the box, much too tight. For me to get thunders dialed I need bones softs or indy 88a conicals, anything else is too tight.

ACEs feel better than thunders out of the box but still not right as their bushings are around the same duro, 92/94.

Conicals in aces get them flooping around. Not a fan.

man this thread got me thinking......i uasually skated thunders with bones mediums, top washer on, no bottom for a couple years. then i must have caught a bad set of bones bushings (medium too), that felt harder than hard bones bushings, so i decided to go with stock and i didn't regret it.

talking bout thunders being good right out the box is as confusing to me as calling them too hard- my last set i bought in august last year was some hollow lights and i kept the bushings as i said, tightened these fuckers flush and just tried to roll with it. first mile or so way too hard, but a little later they felt loose as hell and then set right in the middle without me doing stuff. still ride them perfectly medium ever since.

i feel like i ended this like a disney story in the manner of "and they lived happily ever after" now that i  read it again.....

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
This feels like the best spot to ask this and if I offend anyone I would like to apologize but...
Has anyone skated Destructo trucks recently?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ZEBRA

« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Just bought some aftermarket Indy Soft bushings. The red ones. Love them. Only bushing I can ride. I'm a big guy and I ride medium to loose trucks. Anything harder crumbles.

What thinking about trying the super soft Indy bushings. They're white. Didn't even know they made those. White bushings would be a lot easier on the eyes.

Anybody ever had the white ones??
[close]

Curious about those also. I use the reds and thought about mixing it up with the whites... let us know if you try em...

It finally stopped raining today and I was actually off from work. Amazing. So, I got to finally test the Super Soft white Indy bushings.

They're awesome! No complaints. I thought I would have to work them in like most new bushings, but as I was skating around my little town, I completely forgot that I even had new bushings. Very responsive. I could actually feel the difference. My old red Indy bushings were a couple years old though, so not sure if they were even as responsive as they should've been.

Highly recommend the Super Soft white Indy bushings.

Only down fall I see to them is if you leave your skate in your car, they may get super soft during the summertime. But, no one should be leaving there shit in their car during the summer anyways. Bad for your shit, man.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2016, 04:54:32 PM »
This feels like the best spot to ask this and if I offend anyone I would like to apologize but...
Has anyone skated Destructo trucks recently?
I wasn't even aware they were still around..... Are they still around?
I had a set yeeeeeeaaaaars ago and I remember thinking that they felt just like Indys when it came to turning. If they're still anything like the set I had years ago then they're not bad at all.

Xtal

« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »
There's this dude that kills it on tranny at my local park and he has some Destructo Mid's. I commented on how I haven't seen them in years and he said he loves them. I'm pretty sure they're more of a softer metal like Krux and Ace. Senn dogg was on Destructo for a long time but then went to Ace. They still got Saari I'm pretty sure.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
http://destructotrucks.com/

Saw those at the local shop. Hollow kingpin and all. Really well built i would say. They look like a techier indy to me. Also half the antiz team rides them and they rip so they cant be bad!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

N.L.

« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just bought some aftermarket Indy Soft bushings. The red ones. Love them. Only bushing I can ride. I'm a big guy and I ride medium to loose trucks. Anything harder crumbles.

What thinking about trying the super soft Indy bushings. They're white. Didn't even know they made those. White bushings would be a lot easier on the eyes.

[close]

Curious about those also. I use the reds and thought about mixing it up with the whites... let us know if you try em...
[close]

It finally stopped raining today and I was actually off from work. Amazing. So, I got to finally test the Super Soft white Indy bushings.

They're awesome! No complaints. I thought I would have to work them in like most new bushings, but as I was skating around my little town, I completely forgot that I even had new bushings. Very responsive. I could actually feel the difference. My old red Indy bushings were a couple years old though, so not sure if they were even as responsive as they should've been.

Only down fall I see to them is if you leave your skate in your car, they may get super soft during the summertime. But, no one should be leaving there shit in their car during the summer anyways. Bad for your shit, man.

What  trucks do you have those softies in?

ZEBRA

« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2016, 11:28:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

What  trucks do you have those softies in?

Independent's

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2016, 06:49:47 AM »
Expand Quote
I like the hardware on my trucks really tight so the baseplates don't move around when I skate. In the past I've also had nuts rattle off so I'm left with only a bolt. What's the best way to get your hardware really tight without causing premature stress cracks in the deck?

I have 7/8 hardware that are tightened flush. Still get a bit of baseplate movement but not sure if anything can be done. Just a native feature of skateboards. Was wondering if there are any special tricks to prevent it.

[close]

Expand Quote
the thing that sucks about it is over time your bolt holes get all huge and loose like camel toe.
[close]

I have the same concern. I had to replace my last set of Indys (granted they lasted 2 years) because of this problem. Is it from loose or over-tightened hardware? or both? Maybe I need to replace my bolts more often.
the hardware is too loose, making the baseplate move around and that damages the holes.