Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221366 times)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #300 on: February 15, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »
typical setup 149 indys all stock, loosen a half turn. i do the quarter turn per week for a month with bushings, to even out the wear.
gotta have wheel jiggle, no spacers. usually 53-54 mm classic f4s with an 8.25-8.5
i used to run risers on all my boards, up to a quarter inch at times. never affected my pop nor tricks, still got wheelbite.
2015 was the first year in a long time i ran a board with no risers and it made no difference.
i love the weight of solid trucks. i do have hollow axle thunders but theyre 147s so thats a lil skinny for my taste, havent seen much action.

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #301 on: February 15, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
BMCSteve, I noticed you posted on your Instagram the picture of your Ace's with the downlow kingpin in them, and Joey's response was "stay tuned". I wonder what Ace has in store?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:20:30 PM by Main »

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #302 on: February 15, 2016, 10:53:26 AM »
Setup a used 8.25 that my friend gave me with some Thunder 149's last night. The 8.25/149 combo is seriously the best combo I've ever ridden. For a while I would only skate 149's on 8.38 and up, but they feel so good on an 8.25. Also the thunder 149s with no bottom washer turns so well. Really loose, but still a decent amount of stability.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Dengles

« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
I always refused to skate anything but stock bushing up until a week ago, I threw some bones mediums into my 159s still keeping them just about finger tight.  I also removed the bottom washer.  So fucking good I was moron for holding out for all these years. 

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Main

« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »

BMCsteve

« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »
BMCSteve, I noticed you posted on your Instagram the picture of your Ace's with the downlow kingpin in them, and Joey's response was "stay tuned". I wonder what Ace has in store?

I was wondering that as well.  Like I mentioned, they would just need to make the baseplate hole to match a kingpin bolt so you can tighten them on the board and you're all set

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »
fwiw, thunder plates hold the nut in place like krux plates do.

Scott/Howard

« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:31 AM »
Stock and looser than they come.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
i did notice it gets stuck to your hangar but wasnt sure that it would be better off stuck to my bearing, or if it even would. thanks, ill adjust accordingly.

I wondered/hated that they got stuck, now I know why, never knew it!

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #310 on: February 19, 2016, 11:07:13 PM »
Do you guys have tips for the Krux kingpin conversion? I know there was something about this in a thread but I couldn't find it  :-\
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #311 on: February 19, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »
Do you guys have tips for the Krux kingpin conversion? I know there was something about this in a thread but I couldn't find it  :-\
it was like 12 or more pages back in the set up thread, the skinny of it was that most people hammered out the soild kingpin and it came out, but the hollow ones are hard as shit to get out, i even think steve tried to bake his base plate in an oven so it would come out easier, i'll edit in a link later.
edit: got'cha fam
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=10804.13530
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:35:48 PM by ducky darnsworth »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Do you guys have tips for the Krux kingpin conversion? I know there was something about this in a thread but I couldn't find it  :-\
[close]
it was like 12 or more pages back in the set up thread, the skinny of it was that most people hammered out the soild kingpin and it came out, but the hollow ones are hard as shit to get out, i even think steve tried to bake his base plate in an oven so it would come out easier, i'll edit in a link later.
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=10804.13530
Thank you! I searched the truck set up and didn't find it haha

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #313 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
no problem man.

BMCsteve

« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2016, 06:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
no problem man.

So I've now found a way to remove the kingpins from forged baseplates.  I've done it on two sets of my Indy's and I did a friends last night.

Remove the pivot cups, bake the baseplate at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, take it out and hit it with a 20lb dumbbell. It's insane but it works.

If you have regular cast baseplates it comes out with just a few wacks from a hammer

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »
I skated nothing but ventures for almost 20 years. 5 years ago I decided to switch it up and got some stage 10s. Since then I've spent hundreds of dollars riding trucks for a month then realizing I should just be riding Indys. It's insane. I thought krux were the end of it, but I feel a pressure in my brain, that if I don't buy some 159s tomorrow for this tranny set up, my head is going to burst. It's all I can think about. I should just get an Indy tattoo, then my neurosis wouldn't let me ride anything else. Skating with Steve doesn't help either.
you never know about pre-cum 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #316 on: February 20, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
I skated nothing but ventures for almost 20 years. 5 years ago I decided to switch it up and got some stage 10s. Since then I've spent hundreds of dollars riding trucks for a month then realizing I should just be riding Indys. It's insane. I thought krux were the end of it, but I feel a pressure in my brain, that if I don't buy some 159s tomorrow for this tranny set up, my head is going to burst. It's all I can think about. I should just get an Indy tattoo, then my neurosis wouldn't let me ride anything else. Skating with Steve doesn't help either.

I'm good with my koston indys but your set-up pics got me hyped on Krux.. Thought about trying them when i'll need new trucks.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #317 on: February 20, 2016, 08:00:24 PM »
I think worst case scenario w. Indys.....over rated.....worst case...

BMCsteve

« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:17 PM »
Skating with Steve doesn't help either.

Skating with me isn't helping anyone  :D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: February 20, 2016, 10:33:19 PM »
I got my Indy and thunder forged pins out without baking, did you guys wear aprons and use baking sheets and pot holders? ;)

Parking block (plate down, pin over the hole), hammer, foot holding down, block of wood over the nut... Trick is to screw the nut on so it's a hair below flush.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2016, 10:43:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was wondering that as well.  Like I mentioned, they would just need to make the baseplate hole to match a kingpin bolt so you can tighten them on the board and you're all set
Probably going to lower the kingpin on them

BMCsteve

« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2016, 11:16:36 PM »
I got my Indy and thunder forged pins out without baking, did you guys wear aprons and use baking sheets and pot holders? ;)

Parking block (plate down, pin over the hole), hammer, foot holding down, block of wood over the nut... Trick is to screw the nut on so it's a hair below flush.

True story  - I did use pot holders and I had them on the baking rack next to a pork tenderloin

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #322 on: February 21, 2016, 04:23:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm good with my koston indys but your set-up pics got me hyped on Krux.. Thought about trying them when i'll need new trucks.
I love my Indy titanium 149s but bought into the krux hype with these fools. Only skated them once so far but they felt fine. Like lighter Indys without the break in time. I don't see me getting rid of either trucks since I have two setups and since the krux skated so well out the gate. Give em a shot, they are super cheap and I don't think you'll be disappointed.  
Edit: I ride my Indys with aftermarket orange bushings but don't think I'll need to make any adjustment on the krux as far as I can tell.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Main

« Reply #323 on: February 21, 2016, 07:49:27 AM »

Haha, I feel you man. I think maybe it just has to do with norms? I mean, when are you going to see some gnarly ass dude shredding tranny in Krux or Ventures? Unless it's Louie Barletta...he gets down on tranny pretty good with his Krux. But I think it's just one of those unspoken rules within the skate community that doing certain things makes certain set-ups acceptable. Tranny=Indy, Ace... Thunder may be acceptable.

Street=I guess pretty much any truck could be acceptable for street. So maybe it's just tranny laws haha. I know this is all really lame but I think it's true. Maybe there are legitimate reasons, Indy does handle really well in pools and transition. I think Thunder's would be kinda weird with the way they turn. At the end of the day it's about what you like, not some protocol of the elder's of hesh law. I haven't pulled the trigger on trying Krux or Thunder's again, still rocking Indy's. They are without a doubt damn good trucks. Just turn a little slow.

Main

« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2016, 07:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Probably going to lower the kingpin on them

I think you're right.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: February 21, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Rumor has it that Krux are based off Stage II Indys - having skated every stage and own XI and Krux, they feeling is soo similar, yet Krux, like ACE, are snappier with turns compared to Indy. My only issue with all three is they feel so high (I like Thunder height). Regular Krux are lighter than Indys and arguably turn just as well (their pivot cups are a little odd, they are really deep and deform oddly, like the turn is very side to side); cheaper too. Throw in the downlow pin and they are lighter than TI Indys.

I watched the Bondi event last night; everyone was riding indy except for McClain and maybe one or two others?

Tons of dudes ride Thunders that shred bowls, Cody lockwood, the Millers, Perelson.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:48:31 AM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #326 on: February 21, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »
Picked up some 159 forged hollows for $42 out the door. I really krux, but I'm riding a 9.2" board and the 8.5" krux were too narrow for me on this thing.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #327 on: February 21, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »
Rumor has it that Krux are based off Stage II Indys - having skated every stage and own XI and Krux, they feeling is soo similar, yet Krux, like ACE, are snappier with turns compared to Indy. My only issue with all three is they feel so high (I like Thunder height). Regular Krux are lighter than Indys and arguably turn just as well (their pivot cups are a little odd, they are really deep and deform oddly, like the turn is very side to side); cheaper too. Throw in the downlow pin and they are lighter than TI Indys.

I watched the Bondi event last night; everyone was riding indy except for McClain and maybe one or two others?

Tons of dudes ride Thunders that shred bowls, Cody lockwood, the Millers, Perelson.

Nice I wasn't aware of many bowl shredders that skate Thunder. That's rad. I feel like Thunders would be too low for a bigger dude like me. That's mainly why I've avoided them. I'll probably end up just sticking with Indy lol.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #328 on: February 21, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
Haven't looked at this thread in a while but it feels like Im seeing nothing but downlow kingpins. For those that have used them, would you be able to let your trucks wobble with these kingpins? I feel like it would end up loosening the kingpin and it would shake around instead, which I have had happen before.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:43:49 PM by Crow T. Robot »

BMCsteve

« Reply #329 on: February 21, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
Haven't looked at this thread in a while but it feels like Im seeing nothing but downlow kingpins. For those that have used them, would you be able to let your trucks wobble with these kingpins? I feel like it would end up loosening the kingpin and it would shake around instead, which I have had happen before.

I think the only trucks with a downlow kingpin that will wobble with stock (non shaved/sanded) bushings are Krux. You won't be able to get them loose enough on ace or Indy with stock height bushings if you skate Matt Rodriguez loose