Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220775 times)

Flip260z

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #360 on: February 26, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »
Expand Quote
If you want to use the downlow kingpin on Ace's and like it super loose, you could use the aftermarket indy bushings.  the bottom bushing is the same height as Ace/Krux but the top bushing is shorter
[close]

Thanks for all the info guys.  I have some aftermarket indys (92a med hard blue) on my 149 indys on cruiser setup i might mess around with tonight.  I honestly have an assortment of bushings lying around over the years but didnt really even think about it.  Might come up with some sort of crazy frankenstein setup at some point.  What hardness of the independent bushings do you think matches the stock ace?

Just checked over at http://www.skatewarehouse.com/bushings.html   and they have some independent low bushings on bottom of page that have a noticeably lower top bushing (at least from their stock photo).

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #361 on: February 27, 2016, 08:10:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do you guys have tips for the Krux kingpin conversion? I know there was something about this in a thread but I couldn't find it  :-\
[close]
it was like 12 or more pages back in the set up thread, the skinny of it was that most people hammered out the soild kingpin and it came out, but the hollow ones are hard as shit to get out, i even think steve tried to bake his base plate in an oven so it would come out easier, i'll edit in a link later.
edit: got'cha fam
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=10804.13530
[close]
Thank you! I searched the truck set up and didn't find it haha
[close]
no problem man.
[close]

So I've now found a way to remove the kingpins from forged baseplates.  I've done it on two sets of my Indy's and I did a friends last night.

Remove the pivot cups, bake the baseplate at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, take it out and hit it with a 20lb dumbbell. It's insane but it works.

If you have regular cast baseplates it comes out with just a few wacks from a hammer

What's tightening/loosening like with these? Did you have to glue the kingpin nut to the baseplate?

BMCsteve

« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2016, 06:01:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do you guys have tips for the Krux kingpin conversion? I know there was something about this in a thread but I couldn't find it  :-\
[close]
it was like 12 or more pages back in the set up thread, the skinny of it was that most people hammered out the soild kingpin and it came out, but the hollow ones are hard as shit to get out, i even think steve tried to bake his base plate in an oven so it would come out easier, i'll edit in a link later.
edit: got'cha fam
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=10804.13530
[close]
Thank you! I searched the truck set up and didn't find it haha
[close]
no problem man.
[close]

So I've now found a way to remove the kingpins from forged baseplates.  I've done it on two sets of my Indy's and I did a friends last night.

Remove the pivot cups, bake the baseplate at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, take it out and hit it with a 20lb dumbbell. It's insane but it works.

If you have regular cast baseplates it comes out with just a few wacks from a hammer

[close]

What's tightening/loosening like with these? Did you have to glue the kingpin nut to the baseplate?

Honestly, it's a pain in the ass.  Some guys use JB weld to hold the nut in place but then your stuck with that one nut forever and if it strips or the nylock wears out your screwed.  Basically you wedge something on the bottom between the nut and the baseplate to hold it in place and then tighten the top of the kingpin. 

I'd only recommend doing it if you dont change your bushings or adjust your trucks often

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »
happy to hear that the oven trick finally worked

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
Damn I'm always messing with my trucks hah. Thanks Steve

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »
has anyone tried skating venture hangers on thunder baseplates? they fit from what i did at my shop. i like how ventures grind but have too slow of a turn for me, and thunder 147 hangers are too low. i might have to try.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »
has anyone tried skating venture hangers on thunder baseplates? they fit from what i did at my shop. i like how ventures grind but have too slow of a turn for me, and thunder 147 hangers are too low. i might have to try.

Thunder and Venture are made in the same factory, so essentially they should be grinding the same. Thunders will have that quicker turn but if you're concerned about height maybe try a hard plastic riser? I can understand if you wouldn't wanna go that route though, as I'm not a fan of risers. Krux are 55mm tall and are supposed to grind/turn really good as you'll read from a bunch of people in this thread. Ace could be a good option too.

Answering your question: I don't think it would be a good idea to mix different truck company hangers/baseplates as they all have a different geometry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #367 on: February 29, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »

Hangers are too low? Try the team base plates (non forged) for a bit more height.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #368 on: February 29, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hangers are too low? Try the team base plates (non forged) for a bit more height.
thunder hangers are too low for my liking for 56mm wheels,  im on krux highs now, i like them but i go through pivot cups like no other, indy and other brands dont seem to fit for replacements. i wish i could just get a set of ventures that were center mounted so i wouldnt have to try to rig them up.

BMCsteve

« Reply #369 on: February 29, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
thunder hangers are too low for my liking for 56mm wheels,  im on krux highs now, i like them but i go through pivot cups like no other, indy and other brands dont seem to fit for replacements. i wish i could just get a set of ventures that were center mounted so i wouldnt have to try to rig them up.

Agree with you on the Krux pivot cups.  They're the only downside that I've found with Krux.  After like 3 sessions they get deformed and the pivot is sloppy which makes them wobbly.  might be find for some people but it was enough for me to go back to Indy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:20:45 AM by BMCsteve »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #370 on: February 29, 2016, 11:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
thunder hangers are too low for my liking for 56mm wheels,  im on krux highs now, i like them but i go through pivot cups like no other, indy and other brands dont seem to fit for replacements. i wish i could just get a set of ventures that were center mounted so i wouldnt have to try to rig them up.
[close]

Agree with you on the Krux pivot cups.  They're the only downsize that I've found with Krux.  After like 3 sessions they get deformed and the pivot is sloppy which makes them wobbly.  might be find for some people but it was enough for me to go back to Indy
did you try the khiro ones in there?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2016, 04:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Agree with you on the Krux pivot cups.  They're the only downside that I've found with Krux.  After like 3 sessions they get deformed and the pivot is sloppy which makes them wobbly.  might be find for some people but it was enough for me to go back to Indy
[close]

I did and they were too short.  the Krux pivot cavity is deeper than indy/ace/thunder/venture I guess

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Agree with you on the Krux pivot cups.  They're the only downside that I've found with Krux.  After like 3 sessions they get deformed and the pivot is sloppy which makes them wobbly.  might be find for some people but it was enough for me to go back to Indy
[close]
[close]

I did and they were too short.  the Krux pivot cavity is deeper than indy/ace/thunder/venture I guess

Yeah, the Krux cup is much longer/cavity is deeper and yes they do deform pretty fast (Steve and I were nerding on on that a few days ago) and in a weird way, sort of a horizontal squish, maybe that's why they turn so great from the get go in addition to the great bushings.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #373 on: March 01, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
Any of you guys mess with risers? 

BMCsteve

« Reply #374 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
Any of you guys mess with risers? 

I just put some risers on a tranny setup to prevent wheelbite but I haven't used them on a regular board in probably 10 years.  The Professor thinks they give you added leverage for a bigger pop -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZdDsicDafw

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #375 on: March 01, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »
Any of you guys mess with risers?�
Starting to. I've got 1/4" dooks on my tranny board. Mainly because I'm fat and have 58s and forged baseplates.

I've got some softer lucky 1/8" things in considering putting on my regular set up. They're not shock pad soft but they're definitely pliable.
you never know about pre-cum 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #376 on: March 01, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
Yeah I ride em on my transition and cruiser set ups too and it's crossed my mind if I start sizing up to do the same thing on my street set up.... Clears wheel bite.

They change how your trucks turn too....

N.L.

« Reply #377 on: March 01, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
Any of you guys mess with risers?�

For sure. Loose trucks/ soft bushings + 56mm wheels + not a light dude. I use them a lot. I can't go bigger than 1/8" though. I think you're right about risers making some trucks turn better also. Thunders for one...

In saying that I'm riser free at the moment. Trying to finesse my wheel bite game.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »
I've some 1/8" risers on my 8.5" with Indy 159s (forged) + 56mm wheels so I can shave off a bit of wheel bite.

With indy standards NHS says you can get away with 56mm wheels w/out a riser; by that logic I'd say say you can get away with up to 54mm on the forged without riser (which I run on another setup).

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
I've really been wanting to try out a set of thunders, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I've been riding indys for the last 10 years or so and I currently have standard 149 with the after market orange conical bushings. What bushings should I be putting in thunders for a comparable feel?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »
I've really been wanting to try out a set of thunders, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I've been riding indys for the last 10 years or so and I currently have standard 149 with the after market orange conical bushings. What bushings should I be putting in thunders for a comparable feel?

Indy conical 88a (reds) - they really get Thunders feeling carvy (with team plates mind you for added height).

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »
Been hurt the last couple weeks, but this is my current truck set up. Seemed to be working fine last few times I skated.
Mini Logo 8.38s with hard bones bushings, I started using risers about a year ago to help with wheel bite.
front

Back
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:26:50 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2016, 10:52:26 PM »
Are stage 10 and 11 baseplates the same? I think they are, I could go look at both of these trucks in my living room and compare, but I need comfirmation from you guys.
you never know about pre-cum 

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: March 02, 2016, 12:53:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

i wonder if you could use some kind of caulking or shoe goo as a last resort at the bottom to fill in the void?

BMCsteve

« Reply #384 on: March 02, 2016, 04:13:36 AM »
Are stage 10 and 11 baseplates the same? I think they are, I could go look at both of these trucks in my living room and compare, but I need comfirmation from you guys.

haha yes they are the same. before stage 11's were officially released, Indy was putting out 10.5 which was just the S11 hanger on S10 baseplates since they had tons of S10 forged baseplates.

I think the only difference is the stamp on the bottom of the baseplate and the indy logo on the front has a circle around it on S11 but the geometry and everything else is the same

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #385 on: March 02, 2016, 04:41:23 AM »
Been hurt the last couple weeks, but this is my current truck set up. Seemed to be working fine last few times I skated.
Mini Logo 8.38s with hard bones bushings, I started using risers about a year ago to help with wheel bite.
front

Back

I'm riding mini logo trucks on one of my setups and I, too, have risers to combat the wheelbite. Also, knocking out the kingpin was easy to put in an old set of grindking kingpins into them, but there is a pronounced wiggle to them like the Theeve kingpins would get on the older version of their trucks.

Main

« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:52 PM »
Ace experts...I'm getting a shaped deck that's 9.25 wide and I'm gonna try Ace's out for the first time. Should I go with 55's or 66's?

BMCsteve

« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2016, 12:57:11 PM »
Ace experts...I'm getting a shaped deck that's 9.25 wide and I'm gonna try Ace's out for the first time. Should I go with 55's or 66's?

With shaped decks I generally buy whatever truck size the board measures over the rear bolts.  It could be 9.25 in the middle but 8.75 over the rear trucks in which case I would get 55's.  If it's 9.25 at the rear, 66's would be perfect

That's just my preference though

Main

« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2016, 01:12:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With shaped decks I generally buy whatever truck size the board measures over the rear bolts.  It could be 9.25 in the middle but 8.75 over the rear trucks in which case I would get 55's.  If it's 9.25 at the rear, 66's would be perfect

I keep looking at pictures of the deck and it's hard to tell whether the front or rear bolts area slightly tapers more than the other. I also can't find solid information on axle width of 55's and 66's. Different shops say different measurements.

BMCsteve

« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

With shaped decks I generally buy whatever truck size the board measures over the rear bolts.  It could be 9.25 in the middle but 8.75 over the rear trucks in which case I would get 55's.  If it's 9.25 at the rear, 66's would be perfect

[close]

I keep looking at pictures of the deck and it's hard to tell whether the front or rear bolts area slightly tapers more than the other. I also can't find solid information on axle width of 55's and 66's. Different shops say different measurements.

I'm pretty sure it's 55 = 8.875 and 66 = 9.25