Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220909 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #390 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

add 2.5 to the hanger dimensions for actual width, e.g., ACE44 5.75(3/4)+2.5 = 8.25"ish, 66=6.75+2.5=9.25"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:27:22 PM by Xen »

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #391 on: March 03, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
Ah now I see. Thank you sir! I made a shout out to you and steve in the "slap posters you enjoy/dislike" thread by the way. Cheers!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:37 PM »
Do 33s stick out on an 8" then? I'm contemplating changing my set-up of 15+ years to for an 8" board with ACE 33s

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Main

« Reply #393 on: March 03, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »
Do 33s stick out on an 8" then? I'm contemplating changing my set-up of 15+ years to for an 8" board with ACE 33s

They are an 8" axle so they'll fit perfectly.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BOOM!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2016, 08:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Going by ACE maths they are really 7.875" so just a hair under, opposite of the 44s which are closer to 8.3.

Ah now I see. Thank you sir! I made a shout out to you and steve in the "slap posters you enjoy/dislike" thread by the way. Cheers!

Thanks, didn't know there was such a thread!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:46:04 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #396 on: March 04, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »
I have ace 44's and lined them up against my 8.....dicey....I wouldn't do it....bolt or wheel overhang drives me nuts.....

Coenobita

« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
I've recently switched from 149 Thunder Hollow II's to Krux K4 8.25. I found myself uncomfortably and involuntarily tic tacking with the K4s despite their better turning radius, has anyone else had this problem? They're loose as hell, so tightness shouldn't be an issue.  ???

Indy and Thunder have been my only trucks until these Krux. Has anyone one else had this similar situation?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: March 04, 2016, 10:37:16 AM »
I have ace 44's and lined them up against my 8.....dicey....I wouldn't do it....bolt or wheel overhang drives me nuts.....

I've done it, didn't like it. They work great on 8.125 and up, can hardly notice any overhang.

I've recently switched from 149 Thunder Hollow II's to Krux K4 8.25. I found myself uncomfortably and involuntarily tic tacking with the K4s despite their better turning radius, has anyone else had this problem? They're loose as hell, so tightness shouldn't be an issue.  ???

Indy and Thunder have been my only trucks until these Krux. Has anyone one else had this similar situation?

That's....odd? If anything that comment sounds like it would happen of you did the reverse (switch from Krux to Thunders ;)

Can't help you with this one (having sets of all the trucks you mention I've never felt that way with Krux).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:40:55 AM by Xen »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »

Could it be because the truck is much higher than what you're used to, so when you put even a tiny bit of weight down not realizing it, the front truck lifts up? I just started riding krux from Indys so it's not a huge difference in height and I don't think I've noticed anything like you said.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Coenobita

« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2016, 07:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Could it be because the truck is much higher than what you're used to, so when you put even a tiny bit of weight down not realizing it, the front truck lifts up? I just started riding krux from Indys so it's not a huge difference in height and I don't think I've noticed anything like you said.

I think you're right, maybe I'm doing it subconsciously to counteract wheel bite which was a constant issue with the Thunders. I kept ending up with deep indentations from wheel bite. Gotta get used to 'em.  :)

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
I've been skating Indy Titanium forged 149's for a year, and despite replacing the pivot cups with Indy aftermarket's, the actual metal in the baseplate is slightly blown out and I get a weird lateral twitch if that makes sense.  Really want to keep skating these as the hangers have some life left.  Any idea where I could find Indy forged baseplates?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #402 on: March 05, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »
I've been skating Indy Titanium forged 149's for a year, and despite replacing the pivot cups with Indy aftermarket's, the actual metal in the baseplate is slightly blown out and I get a weird lateral twitch if that makes sense.  Really want to keep skating these as the hangers have some life left.  Any idea where I could find Indy forged baseplates?
Lots of places sell them, they're usually drilled with 6 holes because longboards use the old hole pattern. Just google it and they'll come up, pretty cheap too.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #403 on: March 05, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lots of places sell them, they're usually drilled with 6 holes because longboards use the old hole pattern. Just google it and they'll come up, pretty cheap too.
Be careful though, the kingpins that come with those 6 hole baseplates are much longer than the standard Indy kingpins.
you never know about pre-cum 

N.L.

« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »

add 2.5 to the hanger dimensions for actual width, e.g., ACE44 5.75(3/4)+2.5 = 8.25"ish, 66=6.75+2.5=9.25"

Yeah 44s are 8 3/8". At least mine are. I've been using them on shaped boards 8 5/8 to 8/ 3/4 and they've been great.

Hoping to get some 55s and curious how they actually measure or is this chart accurate?

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »
Went to a mall shop's warehouse sale, and they had the updated 44's for $25 a set. The guy said nobody at the shop knew what they were so they never recommend them. I was hoping to get some 55's, but they were super cheap so I went for it anyways. Skated them in the park a little bit and I really like them. They're not broken in yet, but I love the turning on them. I took off both washers and finger tightened the bolt on. They wobble around a lot, but they're incredibly stable at the same time. Absolutely in love with them.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
It was only a matter of time.....don't piss the mods or else it's indy4lyfe....

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #407 on: March 07, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
This has probably been asked 924912 times, but fuck it. I'm going back to thunders once my set of ACE is done (no complains about the product, just love thunders more). Either way, last time I rode a set of thunders it was the regular RAW 147 highs, and I was wondering if switching to thunders light or even hollow light truly makes a difference, mainly from a flip perspective.

I guess I'll try a set of lighter thunders no matter what, but still SLAP opinion on stuff is usually pretty accurate so I'm curious.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #408 on: March 07, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »
This has probably been asked 924912 times, but fuck it. I'm going back to thunders once my set of ACE is done (no complains about the product, just love thunders more). Either way, last time I rode a set of thunders it was the regular RAW 147 highs, and I was wondering if switching to thunders light or even hollow light truly makes a difference, mainly from a flip perspective.

I guess I'll try a set of lighter thunders no matter what, but still SLAP opinion on stuff is usually pretty accurate so I'm curious.

Depends on the size/what you are used too/coming off.

Lights/Hollows give you the forged plate so they will be lower than your ACEs by a good margin, the team thunders (not forged/hollow) are about the same height. Flip wise, you won't notice a difference between hollows/non too be honest; only Ti nets a noticeable difference; you'd find more adjustment between 149/147s; Busenitz doesn't seem to have any issue flipping standard thunders when he needs to.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #409 on: March 07, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Depends on the size/what you are used too/coming off.

Lights/Hollows give you the forged plate so they will be lower than your ACEs by a good margin, the team thunders (not forged/hollow) are about the same height. Flip wise, you won't notice a difference between hollows/non too be honest; only Ti nets a noticeable difference; you'd find more adjustment between 149/147s; Busenitz doesn't seem to have any issue flipping standard thunders when he needs to.

True, I didn't think about the height difference. I'm riding ACE 44's on a 8.25, but I'm going down to 147highs/8.125. Fuck it, I'll buy them and buy something else if it doesn't work out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: March 07, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »
I just dropped down to 8.125 (supposed to be an 8.25 but doesn't measure that way....) and 147s, then switch to 139s.

Main

« Reply #411 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:06 PM »
Man Ace's truck info is all over the place. SoCal skate shop, which is the place to get them as Ace links you directly to there, says:

44-8.25
55-8.875
66-9.5

Then Ace directly tells me via email:

44-8
55-8.625
66-9

???

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #412 on: March 07, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
has anybody here tried rethreading kingpins?

N.L.

« Reply #413 on: March 07, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
Man Ace's truck info is all over the place. SoCal skate shop, which is the place to get them as Ace links you directly to there, says:

44-8.25
55-8.875
66-9.5

44-8
55-8.625
66-9

???

if 55s were that 8.625 that would be perfect.

maybe they're changing things around a bit?

duzerdrof

• Rep: -3
« Reply #414 on: March 07, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »
Expand Quote

44-8.25
55-8.875
66-9.5

44-8
55-8.625
66-9

???

[close]

if 55s were that 8.625 that would be perfect.

maybe they're changing things around a bit?

i have an older (2014?) pair of 44s and they're close to 8.25, maybe a hair longer but definitely shorter than an indy 149

I think there was a recent design change that's supposed to make them less prone to bending so maybe sizes have changed
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:19:41 PM by duzerdrof »

Main

« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
Ace kinda deters me with these inconsistencies in axle widths, and some kingpins being higher than others from what I've read. I'm not worried about the axle bending or slipping, I just want my truck to actually measure what the damn chart says. Never seen this much conflicting truck info with any other company...

N.L.

« Reply #416 on: March 08, 2016, 07:32:10 AM »
i have a new pair of 44s and the axle is 8 3/8.

BMCsteve

« Reply #417 on: March 08, 2016, 07:59:14 AM »
Ace kinda deters me with these inconsistencies in axle widths, and some kingpins being higher than others from what I've read. I'm not worried about the axle bending or slipping, I just want my truck to actually measure what the damn chart says. Never seen this much conflicting truck info with any other company...

I don't think there are any inconsistencies with the actual widths.  Do what I usually do, which is go by whatever Xen says  :)

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #418 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
Just use measurements

Main

« Reply #419 on: March 08, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think there are any inconsistencies with the actual widths.� Do what I usually do, which is go by whatever Xen says� :)

BMCsteve and Xen...the wind beneath my wings...