Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220996 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #480 on: March 15, 2016, 12:33:47 PM »
The hards might last longer?

Taken from another forum:

"Soft cups give a more smooth/dampened feel when leaning and turning, but harder ones are more responsive/quicker feeling."

Thing is, the pivot in the chicago style truck doesn't do much but keep metal from grinding on metal, but keeps everything lined up.

It's like bushings...if you ride tight trucks you should use hard bushings not soft and crank them down. Same goes for hard pivots, if you are not carving why would you need soft ones?

Stock thunder cups are fucking hard, indys/Ace are softer, but still shit. The ACE ones blow out so damn fast. theeve has the best cups (plus stock bones so they turn amazing out of he gate). Shorty's cups are also really hard - one can assume the harder cps are also cheaper....

Khiros are also THICKER, meaning they bottom of the pivot doesn't sit as low as the stock/harder counterparts which is why they stick up 2mm or so, pushing the hanger up ;)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #481 on: March 15, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
I think when we start nitpicking pivot cups, we've gone too far.  I just replace the indy ones because I can't handle the squeeking.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #482 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:40 PM »
I think when we start nitpicking pivot cups, we've gone too far.  I just replace the indy ones because I can't handle the squeeking.

We haven't gone too far until we get to axle washer preference. 

I replace the stock indy/thunder ones with Khiro speed rings because they're slightly thicker putting the nut a little more flush with the axle preventing the threads from getting damaged and having to re-thread them later.

that's why I'm insane

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #483 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
This thread has reached amazing heights  8)

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #484 on: March 15, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »

^yep that's me alright

There's going to be a Truck War episode in this season of Love Letters. I'm already rock hard...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:42:55 PM by Main »

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #485 on: March 16, 2016, 05:40:46 AM »
Question: Installing an indy low kingpin/indy low bushings on a standard indy geometry truck wouldn't work, would it? I don't know what I'm thinking. I guess i'm wondering if I could get even more clearance without having to search out the pieces for the krux dl mod. Are the bottom bushings on the aftermarket lows shorter or is it only the top bushing thats shorter?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #486 on: March 16, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I replace the stock indy/thunder ones with Khiro speed rings because they're slightly thicker putting the nut a little more flush with the axle preventing the threads from getting damaged and having to re-thread them later.

that's why I'm insane

So far those extended race bearings appear to be the truth.....axel nut is on tighter than ever and the wheel spins faster than ever....

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #487 on: March 16, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »
I have Indy Koston Hollows with the stock orange bushings, no bottom washer

Does anyone else do this with indy bushings? I decided to take off the bottom washer for some reason, and it works. Feels good but noticed it cracks the bushing quicker. Should I stop being a loser and just put the bottom bushing back on?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »
I have my stock indy bushing with some big cracks and I'm thinking in buying some new ones. The problem is that those are de Cylinder ones and I can only find the Conical (Orange) ones to buy here in Portugal. Do you think that it's a huge diference between them? I really love the turning i get with those Cylinder ones. 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

BMCsteve

« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »
I have my stock indy bushing with some big cracks and I'm thinking in buying some new ones. The problem is that those are de Cylinder ones and I can only find the Conical (Orange) ones to buy here in Portugal. Do you think that it's a huge diference between them? I really love the turning i get with those Cylinder ones. 

I've skated both the orange conical and orange cylinder.  The cylinder bottom is a bit more stable and takes more effort to turn deep.  the conical ones are a little less forgiving but turn quicker.

Of the two i currently prefer the conicals

BMCsteve

« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
I have Indy Koston Hollows with the stock orange bushings, no bottom washer

Does anyone else do this with indy bushings? I decided to take off the bottom washer for some reason, and it works. Feels good but noticed it cracks the bushing quicker. Should I stop being a loser and just put the bottom bushing back on?

You'll likely crack bushings and break pivot cups more often because it changes the truck's geometry.  I would suggest getting some of the red "soft" bushings

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2016, 06:16:05 PM »
not enough pics of ground down trucks in this thread. word to pic ratio way out of proportion

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #492 on: March 16, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that's why I'm insane

LOL Steve! Totally understand what you're saying brother. Gonna nerd out for a second...I am REALLY OCD about using bearing spacers because I want to be able to 'lock' my axle nuts and still have my wheels spin freely. Not all wheels are poured with the same in the bearing seat and if there is too much space in there I actually put a washer on the inside of the wheel, between the spacer and bearing in addition to the washer on the outside. Gives the little extra needed for a perfect seat.  ;D

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2016, 06:32:07 PM »
You can't even hear squeaking when you're skating so what's the problem?

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2016, 07:24:42 PM »
not enough pics of ground down trucks in this thread. word to pic ratio way out of proportion

Since no one answered my question from a few pages ago I messeaged Krux and actually got an email back from Ron Whaley. Pretty much just checked to see that your indy trucks could wobble with the downlow kingpin and he seemed pretty positive that it wouldn't be a problem with some JB weld. My trucks are down to the axle and I've gone through a couple kingpins and about 6 kingpin nuts in the past few months, mostly just from them stripping. A nut fell off again last night because it was stripped out, and I'm going through the truck crisis yet again.

I was wondering if any of you have certain things you do to stretch the life of your trucks. My biggest issue is having the kingpin stick up past hanger, which makes smith grinds a nightmare. Its hard to find the point where they will turn like you want them too, without the it sticking up too much. I might just glue the nuts in place and file them down for now, but I plan on trying the Krux kingpins at some point soon

This is probably my favorite thread these days, and I really enjoy reading and seeing photos of peoples truck neuroticism, especially Steve and Xen. Also agree that the word to pic ratio is way off so here are some photos.

Back Truck, Put some indy hard low bushing on top yesterday because the top bushings kept eroding to nothing

Front

Had Problems with trucks sliding side to side too. Not that bad, but slightly frustrating.

Spare-parts graveyard
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:34:00 PM by Crow T. Robot »

BMCsteve

« Reply #495 on: March 16, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »
Yowza, Crow.  Putting those to good use.

FYI - there isnt any wobble with my downlow Indy's.  PM me your address and I'll send you a set of Indy baseplates with the Krux kingpins ready to go if you want to try them out

On another note, looks like someone else is getting into the downlow business https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9ZI6kwE6a/

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #496 on: March 17, 2016, 08:36:31 AM »
Yowza, Crow.  Putting those to good use.

FYI - there isnt any wobble with my downlow Indy's.  PM me your address and I'll send you a set of Indy baseplates with the Krux kingpins ready to go if you want to try them out

On another note, looks like someone else is getting into the downlow business https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9ZI6kwE6a/

Flat head on those, probably lower than krux (Krux DL design is weird when it comes to the top washer).

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2016, 09:58:19 AM »
indy stage 11 raw 139mm, top bushing bones hard, bottom one old destructo orange hard cilinder, that's what works for me since last year
i tried black indy aftermarket barrel bushings and hated them, should have tried the blue (92a) maybe...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:03:48 AM by the snake »

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
 took out bottom bushing washer thing recently. pretty good ride.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've skated both the orange conical and orange cylinder.  The cylinder bottom is a bit more stable and takes more effort to turn deep.  the conical ones are a little less forgiving but turn quicker.

Of the two i currently prefer the conicals

Well I think I prefer the cylinder then. I'm riding my trucks looser than ever but I rather have more stability than a faster turn. I think they are turning fast enought, and less stability would make me loose some of my flat game ahah. The local shop guy said he will try to order some orange cylinders to me. :)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
i rode stock ones for a while in my titaniums and they were fine. when i swithced to orange aftermarket cylinders i felt like they had a little bit quicker rebound. i think youll dig em.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

B-Rad is the Raddest

• Rep: 2
« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
I put a 78 super soft on the bottom of my trucks and put a 88 soft on top. Both Indy after markets

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
« Reply #502 on: March 21, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »
am i the only one who rub the bushing back and forth on the grip to wear it down, so i can have the trucks very loose ?

Main

« Reply #503 on: March 21, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »

"The major advantage with a Made in USA truck is the metal alloy and casting procedure used in the manufacturing process. We start with melting Prime 356A aluminum ingot, never using recycled or re-melted material. We then pour the molten aluminum using a gravity casting process which allows the metal to naturally flow into the mold, rather than a low pressure or injection molding system, which use additives that weaken the metal. Finally, the trucks are heat treated to T-6 harness for an extremely hard, dense finish. This gives the truck a superior grind and strength qualities only found in a USA made, gravity casted truck."

"In addition, the new Shadows feature 4140 Chromalloy steel axles, 92a barrel/cone bushings and grade 8 hardware. The truck is also equipped with a flip-able kingpin for inverted use, providing less kingpin drag on grinds and is also compatible with all aftermarket inverted kingpins."

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #504 on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »
am i the only one who rub the bushing back and forth on the grip to wear it down, so i can have the trucks very loose ?
I never thought of this, but it's a damn good idea. Probably going to try that now.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

BMCsteve

« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »

"The major advantage with a Made in USA truck is the metal alloy and casting procedure used in the manufacturing process. We start with melting Prime 356A aluminum ingot, never using recycled or re-melted material. We then pour the molten aluminum using a gravity casting process which allows the metal to naturally flow into the mold, rather than a low pressure or injection molding system, which use additives that weaken the metal. Finally, the trucks are heat treated to T-6 harness for an extremely hard, dense finish. This gives the truck a superior grind and strength qualities only found in a USA made, gravity casted truck."

"In addition, the new Shadows feature 4140 Chromalloy steel axles, 92a barrel/cone bushings and grade 8 hardware. The truck is also equipped with a flip-able kingpin for inverted use, providing less kingpin drag on grinds and is also compatible with all aftermarket inverted kingpins."

I thought about trying these out but my guess is they are insanely heavy.  Love that they come with a flipable kingpin though

Main

« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »
I think they're going to be better than Indy standards. An oval yoke which will help with deeper turns and a rounded pivot for smoother turning. Not sure if Indy still does the gravity cast method at Ermico either. I'm definitely buying 'em for myself very soon.

I'm curious how securing the flipped kingpin works, as I was with Krux but forgot to mention it. Do you just keep a firm lock with the allen key at the top, while tightening the nut at the baseplate till it doesn't turn anymore, and you don't have to worry about it shaking loose at any point?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:50:44 AM by Main »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
I don't think they'll be much heavier than indys.....doubt they turn great though....

Main

« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
I don't think they'll be much heavier than indys.....doubt they turn great though....

Compared to Ace, they probably won't be a great turn but I think it'll be better than Indy's.

N.L.

« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »
One thing we have not covered in this extensive truck nerd out is ollie timing. Has anyone else noticed that different trucks ollie different? I always thought this was bullshit but I am getting a way better ollie with Aces (otherwise exact same set up). Next comes Indy and then Thunder. I love Thunder 151s but their position/ Geo whatever fucked with my ollies. Strange but true and I'm sure this is different for everyone... more subjective bullshit but its real...