Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220963 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #570 on: March 29, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
Big news in the truck world today:

Ace is buying out Venture and will now be Ace Ventura.

Krux is buying Tracker and now they'll be Kracker trucks.

N.L.

« Reply #571 on: March 30, 2016, 07:12:02 AM »
 :o Two good trucks taking a turn for the worse.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
is it bad to stock up on things like bushings and pivot cups? I've noticed with bushings there's an oily goop on them when they're new. wondering if they'll dry out if you have them in storage for a long time.

BMCsteve

« Reply #573 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
is it bad to stock up on things like bushings and pivot cups? I've noticed with bushings there's an oily goop on them when they're new. wondering if they'll dry out if you have them in storage for a long time.

Hmm not sure what bushings you have with that but they shouldnt have any oil or goop on them.  One time like 10 years ago I made the mistake of putting speed cream on my bushings and it made the board almost impossible to skate.  I had to take them off and wipe both the bushings and trucks down with rubbing alcohol

I do however put a drop or two of oil in my pivot cups which helps them break in faster, last longer and squeak less

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #574 on: March 30, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
I have some Indy trucks, will my skating experience really improve if I put some Bones bushings on them?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:28:44 PM by UserFame »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #575 on: March 30, 2016, 05:49:35 PM »
I have some Indy trucks, will my skating experience really improve if I put some Bones bushings on them?

Only if you use the top bushing on the bottom and the bottom on the top.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #576 on: March 30, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »
Tensor baseplates
Thunder Hangers
Pivot cup doesn't fit so its wobbly and keeps me on my toes
3 bones soft bushings all broken
1 normal tensor bushing so my back truck is a little tighter

None of my friends can ride my board
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:33:58 AM by shitdick22 »

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hmm not sure what bushings you have with that but they shouldnt have any oil or goop on them.  One time like 10 years ago I made the mistake of putting speed cream on my bushings and it made the board almost impossible to skate.  I had to take them off and wipe both the bushings and trucks down with rubbing alcohol

I do however put a drop or two of oil in my pivot cups which helps them break in faster, last longer and squeak less

"Goop" was not a good choice of word on my part. The Indy aftermarkets I've bought all had a film of some kind of oil, I assume to keep them from drying out.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #578 on: March 31, 2016, 12:33:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Only if you use the top bushing on the bottom and the bottom on the top.

ok, but will it me a much better experience if if I put them Bones?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #579 on: March 31, 2016, 01:27:05 AM »
man my dumbass mailed the trucks in a week ago almost, and i didn't even include a note or what my address was in the email so they knew what box, so now i have to email them again to see whats up. also thank you steve, i never even thought about putting some oil in the pivot cups, it's threads and stuff like this that makes you realize all the small details that goes into everything, it's crazy.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #580 on: April 01, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »
I am having a serious truck crisis, been skating the standard stage 11 indys on 8.25 board but been lately missing for more lightness so been thinking about sizing down to 8.1 but then I dont know what hell to ride truck wise.

Been thinking about forged 139 indys cause they are slightly lower and lighter than what I am riding but people been sayin they function different because of the forging and a stiffer kingpin.

Then been thinking about 147 regular thunders but scared that they are too low cause I like my trucks medium loose so wheelbite cause they only 49.something millimeters high.

I have skated 149 indys on a 8.1 before and that was alright so thought about the thunder 149 2s cause they are bit higher than the regular thunders.

Any long term indy users who have made the switch to thunders, does the change in wheelbase and the height make a big difference?

BMCsteve

« Reply #581 on: April 01, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
I am having a serious truck crisis, been skating the standard stage 11 indys on 8.25 board but been lately missing for more lightness so been thinking about sizing down to 8.1 but then I dont know what hell to ride truck wise.

Been thinking about forged 139 indys cause they are slightly lower and lighter than what I am riding but people been sayin they function different because of the forging and a stiffer kingpin.

Then been thinking about 147 regular thunders but scared that they are too low cause I like my trucks medium loose so wheelbite cause they only 49.something millimeters high.

I have skated 149 indys on a 8.1 before and that was alright so thought about the thunder 149 2s cause they are bit higher than the regular thunders.

Any long term indy users who have made the switch to thunders, does the change in wheelbase and the height make a big difference?

I can't imagine forged Indy's functioning any different than standard Indy's.  We're only talking about 1.5mm.  Not sure what the "stiffer kingpin" is in reference too but the kingpins are the same

I go back and forth between Indy and Thunder 149's.  Right now I'm skating the Thunder's on a, 8.38 / 14.25" WB deck.  I feel off when I do this with Indy's but for some reason it's been perfect with my Thunders.

Heritage skates 149 Thunders on 8.1 decks but I couldn't personally do it.  The Thunder 147's are too low for me.

I suggest going with 139 Indy's

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #582 on: April 01, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
yeah I feel like getting bit closer to the ground so that 1,5mm and 52s instead of 53s should take care of that.

Dunno how trustworthy this is but anyways : http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.fi/2012/06/149-truck-comparison-test-final-results_04.html

"Independent 149 Forged Hollow Stage X Mark II - The Indy Forged Hollow (FH) trucks are the strict disciplinarians of the truck world. The Indy FHs harshly punish you when you don't flick just right, or don't tap just right, or turn just a little off, or don't land squarely on the bolts. The forged baseplates and stiffer kingpin remove all slop from the trucks. These trucks will throw you off your board unless you are a perfectionist in feet placement and body position. As promised, the Indy FHs feel light and responsive. Adjusting lines, however, is only moderately quick, mainly because of the lower height and subsequent tendency to wheelbite."

But I do agree that the regular thunder 147 at the 49mm height is too low and everyones board who skates has pretty tight trucks so maybe that is for a reason cause them fuckers so low.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #583 on: April 01, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »

I skated indy for years, then thunder for years, then indy for years...then about a year ago I stripped the axl on a set of indys and tried thunders again.  I feel like I was always adjusting/experimenting with the thunders (i.e. trying new hangers, trying Titantium/hollow/combos) to get them to feel just right.  and if I was still skating em, I'd probably be posting in this thread all the time.

the height definitely made a different to me (and the turn)...I got wheelbite all the time with 52mm and even considered going down to 50mm wheels to avoid it.  with Indys, I skate em really loose with 52mm and only get wheelbite when I really land wonky on the board.

long and short of it...I went back to Indys at the start of winter...and I haven't messed with them or thought about trucks since.

hardly art, hardly starving

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #584 on: April 01, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
Before and After

So clearence wise the krux kingpin didn't make too big of a difference, but I did notice that it is way more forgiving on grinds then my regular kingpin. If i dipped a grind a bit too much on the wrong ledge the kingpin nut would dig in and I'd hang up, but thats not a problem with the krux's. Kind of just grind smoothly over most stuff, so its worth it just not having to worry about that anymore.

JB Weld didn't work as well as I expected, but thats probably because I set my trucks up to wobble, and its about 40F degrees outside. One nut came completely loose and I had to peel all the epoxy out and reset it. Wasn't that difficult to do though. There is still a tiny bit of wobble in each kingpin but that doesn't really bother me.

Realized there was a crack in my back hangar. Don't think it will do much but I put a bunch of JB weld over it to keep it from spreading.

EDIT: Got to skate a box and bank to parking block last night. Smiths and feebles felt perfect. Highly recommend the kingpins after that session.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:05:55 PM by Crow T. Robot »

Randozzi

« Reply #585 on: April 01, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
Are you skating one of the Porous Walker Anti-Hero decks?

Nice job on the trucks by the way. You're dedication to riding that pair til death is admirable.

Crow T. Robot

« Reply #586 on: April 01, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
Are you skating one of the Porous Walker Anti-Hero decks?

Nice job on the trucks by the way. You're dedication to riding that pair til death is admirable.
Yeah, those graphics are pretty crazy. Don't know much about the artist, but my friend said his instagram is pretty funny too.

Its a bit less riding trucks to death, and more not wanting to buy and ride brand new trucks. Might as well get the most out of them, but I am looking forward to trying out some Ace 44's after this.

Randozzi

« Reply #587 on: April 01, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »
Nice! He's a friend, stoked to see people skating them.

If you dig wobbly Indy's you'll like Ace, according to everyone I've talked with about them. Never skated a pair myself. Pretty happy with the stage 11's.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #588 on: April 01, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Not sure by how much...one thing to consider w. Ace is there is less truck than an Indy.....looks like you grind a bit...

Crow T. Robot

« Reply #589 on: April 02, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »
Yeah, and it sounds like the metal may be a bit softer, so I'm not expecting them to last as long as Indy's. I just went through this entire thread and couldn't find it, but I read somewhere that Aces are the best for wobbly trucks, all the rattle, but less wheel bite and more stability than wobbly Indy's. That pretty much sold me. Brand new with the right bushings, wobbly Indy's can feel great and really stable, but over time they lose a lot of stability and blow out a lot easier.
Won't have a problem switching back to Independent, but I'm really looking forward to trying Aces. Even if I don't like them for my regular setup I'll throw them on cruiser.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:59:32 PM by Crow T. Robot »

Main

« Reply #590 on: April 02, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »
^This is the second or third time now where I've watched your signature of Strange carving that pool for a good two minutes or more. He did that riding Ace's too ;)

N.L.

« Reply #591 on: April 02, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
Yeah, and it sounds like the metal may be a bit softer, so I'm not expecting them to last as long as Indy's. I just went through this entire thread and couldn't find it, but I read somewhere that Aces are the best for wobbly trucks, all the rattle, but less wheel bite and more stability than wobbly Indy's. That pretty much sold me. Brand new with the right bushings, wobbly Indy's can feel great and really stable, but over time they lose a lot of stability and blow out a lot easier. I put wheel wells through an entire ply once.
Won't have a problem switching back to Independent, but I'm really looking forward to trying Aces. Even if I don't like them for my regular setup I'll throw them on cruiser.

If you like loose Indys you love Aces. But the transition between the two different trucks is pretty easy. Ace are lower but for some reason I get less wheelbite.... I'm pretty hooked on them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #592 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:07 PM »
Yep....ace are the craziest truck out there....you wanna break out the slalom cones....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #593 on: April 02, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »
Before and After

So clearence wise the krux kingpin didn't make too big of a difference, but I did notice that it is way more forgiving on grinds then my regular kingpin. If i dipped a grind a bit too much on the wrong ledge the kingpin nut would dig in and I'd hang up, but thats not a problem with the krux's. Kind of just grind smoothly over most stuff, so its worth it just not having to worry about that anymore.

JB Weld didn't work as well as I expected, but thats probably because I set my trucks up to wobble, and its about 40F degrees outside. One nut came completely loose and I had to peel all the epoxy out and reset it. Wasn't that difficult to do though. There is still a tiny bit of wobble in each kingpin but that doesn't really bother me.

Realized there was a crack in my back hangar. Don't think it will do much but I put a bunch of JB weld over it to keep it from spreading.

EDIT: Got to skate a box and bank to parking block last night. Smiths and feebles felt perfect. Highly recommend the kingpins after that session.

swagsurfer

• Rep: -4
« Reply #594 on: April 03, 2016, 11:04:27 PM »
people skating 7.75's,

is it worth it to step up the width of the truck from a 5.0/145/129 to a 5.25/147/139?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #595 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »
people skating 7.75's,

is it worth it to step up the width of the truck from a 5.0/145/129 to a 5.25/147/139?

Nah. I'm doing it right now because I gave my 129s to a friend who needed a new setup, but 129s are perfect on a 7.75.
you never know about pre-cum 

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #596 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote
$14 for pivot cups...

Seems like the stock Ace ones have improved. Steve, are they plastic or urethane, do you know?

Also stock Ace bushings seem to be really good quality these days. I had to sand down the tops to get a looser turn and they're perhaps a tad too hard for my tastes but with warmer weather coming thats OK.

Also a big fan of the white stock Thunders, like other people mentioned.
[close]

The stock Ace ones are plastic as well.  Plastic isn't actually bad to use for pivot cups.  It just depends on the molds and quality of plastic used.  Plastic will be less likely to deform than urethane (see the comments from Xen and I regarding Krux stock pivot cups which are urethane).

Basically a hard plastic pivot cup can crack and blow out.  Urethane pivot cups will wear gradually and create slop.  I personally think it's more important to use something that doesn't change the geometry of the pivot which is why I use the stock indy and thunder cups. 

On Ace trucks the Khiro's stick up a bit but the actual depth is the same as the stock cups unlike Indy.  We're literally only talking 1-2 mm here so It likely doesn't matter at all similar to how using Bones bushings can slightly alter the geometry of a truck

1-2mm is really not noticeable but you could feel it. If i remember the re-designed 44's had a protruding pivot cups and it almost looks like when you have the khiro's on. i remember on my first day of the re-designed 44's the front truck pivot cup blew out after a couple of slappy's on the first session and it also did the same when i replaced them with the aftermarket indy pivot cups.

bit the bullet and bought a couple of sets of the khiro's soft and hard. put on the soft on my aces a couple of days ago and they haven't blown out yet, my only grief about them is that it doesn't give me the ace turn i used to get with my stock's and indy pivot cups. it almost adds a quick rebound to the trucks and i don't like that.

also for those who's had the old aces. i seen a friend's and he has bones bushings on them and they fit just right. I'm not sure if they changed the kingpins on the redesigned because when i have bones on. there's atleast 6-7 threads out and makes the kingpin stick out and exposed. not sure if i got one with longer kingpin screw but i went back to stock because i couldn't stand the look of it.

Main

« Reply #597 on: April 07, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »
So I've been lurking Gullwing's instagram since they came out with those made in USA Shadows. I feel like I maybe wanna try 'em out, but then I discovered they're owned by sector 9 and when I checked out sector 9's instagram it was fuckin kookville...

What do you guys think? They have some solid riders backing their trucks but I'm thinking maybe there's a legitimate reason why they aren't very popular and not because they aren't trendy, but maybe they just suck?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #598 on: April 07, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »
Im curious about eh Gullwings too kinda sad to think they will be/are the only made in USA skateboard trucks

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #599 on: April 07, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
So I've been lurking Gullwing's instagram since they came out with those made in USA Shadows. I feel like I maybe wanna try 'em out, but then I discovered they're owned by sector 9 and when I checked out sector 9's instagram it was fuckin kookville...

What do you guys think? They have some solid riders backing their trucks but I'm thinking maybe there's a legitimate reason why they aren't very popular and not because they aren't trendy, but maybe they just suck?

I have an older pair of gullwings 9" shadows (like 2012) and they are legit, heavy as fuck. I only use them on my cruiser but I like the way they turn honestly.