Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221442 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #600 on: April 07, 2016, 09:02:36 PM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:09:03 PM by Main »

BMCsteve

« Reply #601 on: April 08, 2016, 06:55:01 AM »
^ 57mm is insanely high for a street truck.  The only truck I've considered outside of all the normal street brands were the new Caliber hollows - http://calibertruckco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/hollow_main-450x450.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JshGbbWaxJs

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #602 on: April 08, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
See......someone mentions gullwing and suddenly we're dippin into some seismics........

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #603 on: April 08, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
^ 57mm is insanely high for a street truck.  The only truck I've considered outside of all the normal street brands were the new Caliber hollows - http://calibertruckco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/hollow_main-450x450.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JshGbbWaxJs

Stop it...
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #604 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »
See......someone mentions gullwing and suddenly we're dippin into some seismics........

guys, do you think these are good for nose and tailslides?

:D

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #605 on: April 08, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
gimme a minute and I'll be going OFF about extended race bearings.....

Main

« Reply #606 on: April 08, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
Will using no bushings increase my risk of getting an std?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #607 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
Will using no bushings increase my risk of getting an std?
..Silly question. Of course it will!

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #608 on: April 08, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

guys, do you think these are good for nose and tailslides?

:D

Real talk a guy i know that longboards always tries to get me to ride his shit and he has some caliber trucks and kept telling me they're really good for manuals, so i cool guyed him for months until one day he pretty much made me try them out, and i straight up manualed for like a quarter mile down a hill first try haha. Don't worry, im still on stage 11 149's and will most likely be forever. Out of everything i've rode they just make skating make the most sense.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »
Never had back tails until I tried them on a drop board.....life changer.....

Main

« Reply #610 on: April 09, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
Currently skating regular Indy 149s (medium aftermarkets, one washer, pretty loose), but now that I am only skating 8 - 8.25 instead of the odd 8.375, I want to try something else.

Here's what I'm considering:

Indy 149 forged - I like the 8.125/8.25 with 149s combo, but I've never messed with hollow trucks. Tempted by the stage 10 height.
Ace 44s - Less mass sounds good and there's the appeal of something new, but not sure of their height?
Krux K4 8.25s - Same height as stage 11s, but the 8.25 axle is tempting and I like the way Krux grind.
Thunder 149 equivalent - Never skated Thunder (or Ace). Worried they might be too low.

Leaning towards the forged 149s.

Should I just stick to what I've got so I can stay out of this thread?

Indy 149's are great. I've never messed with hollow anything. Personally though, if I was going down below an 8.5" deck, I wouldn't get trucks that would be wider than it.

Ace 44's are roughly 8.375" wide and would be best for the 8.25"-8.5" range. The height is 53mm but the way they're designed you can get an insane turn with pretty much no wheelbite. I'd try them out if I were you.

Thunders 149's have a good responsive turn but you get a lot of wheelbite. Ace's have a Thunder turn but even better. Only drawback is the metal is a bit softer like Krux, where they grind smoother and longer but they wear down a little quicker.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:00:54 PM by Main »

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #611 on: April 09, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Currently skating regular Indy 149s (medium aftermarkets, one washer, pretty loose), but now that I am only skating 8 - 8.25 instead of the odd 8.375, I want to try something else.

Indy 149 forged - I like the 8.125/8.25 with 149s combo, but I've never messed with hollow trucks. Tempted by the stage 10 height.
Ace 44s - Less mass sounds good and there's the appeal of something new, but not sure of their height?
Krux K4 8.25s - Same height as stage 11s, but the 8.25 axle is tempting and I like the way Krux grind.
Thunder 149 equivalent - Never skated Thunder (or Ace). Worried they might be too low.

[close]

Indy 149's are great. I've never messed with hollow anything. Personally though, if I was going down below an 8.5" deck, I wouldn't get trucks that would be wider than it.

Ace 44's are roughly 8.375" wide and would be best for the 8.25"-8.5" range. The height is 53mm but the way they're designed you can get an insane turn with pretty much no wheelbite. I'd try them out if I were you.

Thunders 149's have a good responsive turn but you get a lot of wheelbite. Ace's have a Thunder turn but even better. Only drawback is the metal is a bit softer like Krux, where they grind smoother and longer but they wear down a little quicker.
I'm riding Thunder 149ii's with some 56mm Spitfire Classics, and I weigh 200lbs. I'm riding the trucks with no bottom washer and the turn is awesome and it's pretty loose, and surprisingly there isn't too much wheelbite. I go by the whole "if you can't ollie up it, don't ollie down it" so I can't say anything about gaps, but my skating is super sloppy so there's a lot of times where I should wheelbite but it's really not that bad. I'd definitely suggest the thunders.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Main

« Reply #612 on: April 09, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I'm riding Thunder 149ii's with some 56mm Spitfire Classics, and I weigh 200lbs. I'm riding the trucks with no bottom washer and the turn is awesome and it's pretty loose, and surprisingly there isn't too much wheelbite. I go by the whole "if you can't ollie up it, don't ollie down it" so I can't say anything about gaps, but my skating is super sloppy so there's a lot of times where I should wheelbite but it's really not that bad. I'd definitely suggest the thunders.

You're riding the stock bushings? There's no fuckin' way with 56mm wheels and no bottom washer at 200lbs...

I weigh a little more than you, I would come to a screeching halt from that wheelbite lol

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #613 on: April 10, 2016, 06:05:34 AM »
going down to thunder 147 hi's and a 8.1 something w/ wider wheels can be pretty revolutionary, light but still roomy

BMCsteve

« Reply #614 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
Back on Ace.  The turn and stability is too good to not have a pair in the rotation.  Not sure if I'll be able to stick with them long term but it's easy to see why people love them so much

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #615 on: April 12, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

You're riding the stock bushings? There's no fuckin' way with 56mm wheels and no bottom washer at 200lbs...

I weigh a little more than you, I would come to a screeching halt from that wheelbite lol
I forgot to mention that I skate ridiculously slow (seriously, really slow) since I'm a pussy, so even when I do wheelbite I can just straighten the board out and be good. I'm so used to wheelbite that the second the wheel hits the board I just lean the other way and I'm good. That being said I still don't get a lot of wheelbite on my current setup. I also only have like 10 decent flatground tricks and I do them so often that I land them perfectly now.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #616 on: April 12, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »
Back on Ace.  The turn and stability is too good to not have a pair in the rotation.  Not sure if I'll be able to stick with them long term but it's easy to see why people love them so much

I've had trouble with their old design in the past but have been considering giving the redesign a shot. Let us know how they are with axles bending. That was my biggest problem.

Main

« Reply #617 on: April 12, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
I've had trouble with their old design in the past but have been considering giving the redesign a shot. Let us know how they are with axles bending. That was my biggest problem.

I've been skating mine for awhile now and no issues. According to Joey himself, he claimed it was a production flaw and not a design flaw with the whole bending thing. Mine are the new redesigns and I also haven't read any comments on them bending anymore. I think you'll be good.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »

My trucks kicked the bucket today. Need to order a pair of these ASAP. How do you tell the new design from the old? Is SoCal the go to for ordering Ace's. As for aftermarket stuff to try out, are Krux bushings and Kiro pivot cups the way to go? Figure Ill try it out stock set-up, but it would be nice to have some options, and I can never have enough spare parts.   

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My trucks kicked the bucket today. Need to order a pair of these ASAP. How do you tell the new design from the old? Is SoCal the go to for ordering Ace's. As for aftermarket stuff to try out, are Krux bushings and Kiro pivot cups the way to go? Figure Ill try it out stock set-up, but it would be nice to have some options, and I can never have enough spare parts.   

In BMC's photo you can see where the pivot meets the hanger and how far the 'wings' go out, almost touching the 44

Here is the old design, the 'wings' don't even come close to the 44s.

Only the 44/55/66s were improved. You can easily ask Socalskateshop to make sure you get the stage IIs. The Diamond colorways (white and teal) have also been updated.

As for it being a 'manufacturing' defect, I call bullshit. If it was, we'd still be riding the 'narrow' winged hanger and not the reinforced one...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #620 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
Only the 44/55/66s were improved.

So the 33s are okay then? ???

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Main

« Reply #621 on: April 12, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »
SoCal has the "stage 2" redesigns for 44, 55, 66. They do not have any of the "stage 1's" in those sizes, so you're fine...you don't have to ask before you order. Get the Krux bushings for sure, Khiro pivot cups are optional if you wanna have some extra ones for backup. Mine are still fine but I'll get around to ordering some Khiro's eventually.

Lastly, I'm not saying what Joey said is true, just repeating what he said.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #622 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:04 PM »
SoCal has the "stage 2" redesigns for 44, 55, 66. They do not have any of the "stage 1's" in those sizes, so you're fine...you don't have to ask before you order. Get the Krux bushings for sure, Khiro pivot cups are optional if you wanna have some extra ones for backup. Mine are still fine but I'll get around to ordering some Khiro's eventually.

Lastly, I'm not saying what Joey said is true, just repeating what he said.

I know, I read that quote too, it just doesn't make any sense. You don't reinforce something if you don't need too, axles were bending so they reinforced the hanger with more metal (just like every other truck out there does....except for 215s it seems).

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2016, 11:26:02 PM »
Thanks guys, ordered some 44's with Krux bushings, and both the hard and soft Khiro pivot cups just in case. I'll post whatever I end up running with.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:24:07 PM by Crow T. Robot »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #624 on: April 12, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I got the grey AVE 139s because the shop was out of raws for whatever reason. They were $10 more, but whatever. Before I set them up I noticed the baseplate on one wasn't flat and fucking wobbled. Contacted nhs and sent it in. Shipping and everything, these are now $65 Indys I didn't really want in the first place. Still haven't gotten a replacement back either, but I've been hurt so whatever.

N.L.

« Reply #625 on: April 13, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Only the 44/55/66s were improved.
[close]

So the 33s are okay then? ???

My guess is the smaller sizes were less prone to bending. so the 33s are probably just fine.

Also note the updated hangers have more metal around the axle, so they should last longer. Only downside is, they might be heavier than the originals. I was one of those people who held off Ace for a long time but couldn't resist after the redesign. I've been using the 44s and 55s, best turning trucks I've ever owned- stock bottom bushings, krux top.

N.L.

« Reply #626 on: April 13, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I got the grey AVE 139s because the shop was out of raws for whatever reason. They were $10 more, but whatever. Before I set them up I noticed the baseplate on one wasn't flat and fucking wobbled. Contacted nhs and sent it in. Shipping and everything, these are now $65 Indys I didn't really want in the first place. Still haven't gotten a replacement back either, but I've been hurt so whatever.

curious but do they have 'usa' stamped on the underside of the baseplate?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #627 on: April 13, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »
No. The bar code sticker says "mfg in USA from US & imported parts." It's a cast baseplate so I'm sure it's still poured at Ermico. In hindsight I probably should have just gone back to the shop as soon as I noticed, but didn't want to deal with driving 40 miles round trip again.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #628 on: April 13, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »
Ive tried out some of the new Mini logo bushings, I didn't like the way the hard ones felt, my turns didnt feel too smooth. I switched to new mediums and they are great. Right now I've got the mediums without washers on my trucks and it's working out pretty well.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #629 on: April 13, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Indy 149s with stock bushings.