Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220541 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #660 on: April 25, 2016, 04:25:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i'm the same weight and tried the 90a (reds) with the cylindrical buttons. plenty of rattle. feels good but you will get wheel bite with wheels 54mm +
[close]

I'm fine with wheelbite as long as it's not bad enough to bring me to a screeching halt. Well, I'll go back forth between the Krux or the Indy softs in my head for a bit before I decide. Thanks dude!
[close]

Krux are softer than the stock Ace's and are the exact same height so you wont get any rattle.  the top bushing on Indy's is shorter so your going to either get rattle or a few threads showing. 
[close]

Steve with the reply #666 8)

The rattling obviously won't be Matt Rodriguez level, so it probably wouldn't be something to worry about right? No hanger popping out of the pivot or anything drastic like that?

\m/

nah, it wont be anything too crazy but it would drive me crazy haha

BMCsteve

« Reply #661 on: April 25, 2016, 04:33:04 AM »
OK, here's a pic of the Indy & Ace bushings side by side.  I wouldn't do it because the Indy bottom bushing is shorter than the Ace bottom bushing.  That will alter the geometry of the truck slightly and put some additional pressure on the hanger pivot which Ace can be prone to breaking

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #662 on: April 25, 2016, 08:22:02 AM »
Thanks for the pic. I'm definitely going to try the Khiro pivots, and since those raise the truck 1-2mm looks like the Indy bushings may not be a good choice after all.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #663 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:28 AM »
Something changed between the old 44s and the new. The old pair I had, had to crank them down to avoid getting pitched from wheelbite. New ones have to be loosened up a few turns from flush to get them to turn. I'm in to them though, might be a convert.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #664 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
Something changed between the old 44s and the new. The old pair I had, had to crank them down to avoid getting pitched from wheelbite. New ones have to be loosened up a few turns from flush to get them to turn. I'm in to them though, might be a convert.

It's the harder bushings they put into the new ones. I had the same problem and it took awhile to break them in. I'm still on the hunt for better bushings to put in them soon.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #665 on: April 25, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
I recently ran new ace hangers on the old mag plates using a number of bushing combos: Bones, krux, ACE, thunder, and aftermarket indy.

After riding 147/149 thunders with soft bones, I could not get aces/krux combo to feel right at all, it was as if they wouldn't turn, so bizzare but I guess I really got used to the loose floop of the thunder/bones combo (wheelbite and all)

The only two that worked well were indy red (88a) conicals and the bones med bottom/soft top combo  - love the way that combination works, easily my favorite combo in just about any truck.

I'd suggest the 88a red conicals, depending on how you want them to turn.

I ride looser than most but not rattle loose.

BMCsteve

« Reply #666 on: April 25, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
you can buy Ace bushings on Socal but I wonder if they're the old or new formula http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=21081

N.L.

« Reply #667 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
I recently ran new ace hangers on the old mag plates using a number of bushing combos: Bones, krux, ACE, thunder, and aftermarket indy.

After riding 147/149 thunders with soft bones, I could not get aces/krux combo to feel right at all, it was as if they wouldn't turn, so bizzare but I guess I really got used to the loose floop of the thunder/bones combo (wheelbite and all)

The only two that worked well were indy red (88a) conicals and the bones med bottom/soft top combo  - love the way that combination works, easily my favorite combo in just about any truck.

I'd suggest the 88a red conicals, depending on how you want them to turn.

I ride looser than most but not rattle loose.

that's right. the reds are 88a.

on my 55s i run stock bottom and bones med top, risers and 58mm wheels. on my 44s i run stock bottom and krux top, no risers and 54mm. wheel rub but no bite.

going back to my old crusty thunder 151s on my next set up just to mix things up a bit.

Main

« Reply #668 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03:30 PM »
you can buy Ace bushings on Socal but I wonder if they're the old or new formula http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=21081

Shit, I totally forgot about that. SoCal has had those for a long time, so I'm going to guess they're the older more soft formula. I think that may have just solved my bushing dilemma haha.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #669 on: April 26, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
I'm just going to run these 44s stock. I can't afford to be that neurotic anymore.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #670 on: May 02, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »
Just curious if it's me, but has anyone else had problems with thunders and axle slip? Last set I had seemed like I got axle slip instantly, but I lived with it and skated them for 2 years. About a month ago I set up a new set, and now those slip. I can live with it since I'm used to it and I like thunders. But am I just having bad luck, or is this happening to others?
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #671 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »
Just curious if it's me, but has anyone else had problems with thunders and axle slip? Last set I had seemed like I got axle slip instantly, but I lived with it and skated them for 2 years. About a month ago I set up a new set, and now those slip. I can live with it since I'm used to it and I like thunders. But am I just having bad luck, or is this happening to others?

Absolutely. I didn't want to say anything because I back Thunders pretty hard (for the last 2 decades in fact) but I've had 3 sets of Titaniums in the last 12 months and the axles slip in all of them. Same as you Stanley, I just skate them and live with it but I do think it's a little unusual.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #672 on: May 02, 2016, 07:01:40 PM »
Man....I skated various trucks for 20 years getting axel slip on everything...theeves, mult sets of indys....thunders....I now have tih's. My new theory is riding those extended race bearings....if you can tighten the nut super tight you'll never get slippage.....

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #673 on: May 02, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
I ride indy trucks, 159, and put 2 to 3 washers on the axle so I get full use of the hanger when grinding. I love medium Powell bushings ... on the back truck I use a top washer only,  and no washers on the front truck as I like it looser than the front. I like the back loose and the front on the verge of wobbly, but not Daewon wobbly.
I use vaseline or wax or even powell bearing oil in my pivot cups as it stops the squeaking and gets the truck turing real fast and smooth, not so sticky and jumpy. Actually there is bicycle grease you can get that stays in place under pressure much better than the other 3 I mentioned. But I don't always have that kicking around. I swear it lasts in the cup much longer before the squeaking starts up again.
And I wax the bottom of my baseplate to stop that (odd but fairly common to me for some reason) creaking sound.

I truly wish they gave Rowley a signature truck that had the geometry and look of the mid stage indy's, but used today's technology.

Main

« Reply #674 on: May 02, 2016, 08:06:18 PM »
I ride indy trucks, 159, and put 2 to 3 washers on the axle so I get full use of the hanger when grinding. I love medium Powell bushings ... on the back truck I use a top washer only,  and no washers on the front truck as I like it looser than the front. I like the back loose and the front on the verge of wobbly, but not Daewon wobbly.
I use vaseline or wax or even powell bearing oil in my pivot cups as it stops the squeaking and gets the truck turing real fast and smooth, not so sticky and jumpy. Actually there is bicycle grease you can get that stays in place under pressure much better than the other 3 I mentioned. But I don't always have that kicking around. I swear it lasts in the cup much longer before the squeaking starts up again.
And I wax the bottom of my baseplate to stop that (odd but fairly common to me for some reason) creaking sound.

I truly wish they gave Rowley a signature truck that had the geometry and look of the mid stage indy's, but used today's technology.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #675 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're 55 mm tall like the regular iny's
They are made of 4140 Chromoly Steel  and have a grade 8 kingpin just like the regular ones
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #676 on: May 03, 2016, 12:49:55 AM »
Converted to Ace's last month, but have been kinda busy with school so I haven't skated them much until recently. Set them up with the krux bushings, no bottom washer, with the nut just below flush with the kingpin. Pretty wobbly but really stable.

Honestly it didn't feel like the turn was that much more remarkable than Indy's, not sure if I could even really tell the difference. I don't have a good park to skate but I'm guessing the difference might be more notable pumping around transition. What I did notice is that there is significantly less wheel bite than my indy's had, and thats what really sold me on them so far. I feel like all brand new wobbly trucks are going feel a lot more stable when compared to old and beat up ones.

Over the more recent sessions the bushing have packed in a little more, for some extra wobble. I was kinda trying to wait as long as I could before I tightened the kingpin nut any more, but slowly both kingpins have came loose and are moving around. I tightened down the nut and the kingpins don't have too much room to move, but its enough to bug me, and I'm worried that they are just going to get worse. Pretty bummed that this is happening after only 6-7 sessions. Not sure if I can fix them my self, should replace the kingpins completely, or if I should just try to contact Ace about it. Pretty happy with the trucks otherwise, but I don't want to deal with loose kingpins on trucks that are so new.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:10:56 AM by Crow T. Robot »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #677 on: May 03, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
Converted to Ace's last month, but have been kinda busy with school so I haven't skated them much until recently. Set them up with the krux bushings, no bottom washer, with the nut just below flush with the kingpin. Pretty wobbly but really stable.

Honestly it didn't feel like the turn was that much more remarkable than Indy's, not sure if I could even really tell the difference. I don't have a good park to skate but I'm guessing the difference might be more notable pumping around transition. What I did notice is that there is significantly less wheel bite than my indy's had, and thats what really sold me on them so far. I feel like all brand new wobbly trucks are going feel a lot more stable when compared to old and beat up ones.

Over the more recent sessions the bushing have packed in a little more, for some extra wobble. I was kinda trying to wait as long as I could before I tightened the kingpin nut any more, but slowly both kingpins have came loose and are moving around. I tightened down the nut and the kingpins don't have too much room to move, but its enough to bug me, and I'm worried that they are just going to get worse. Pretty bummed that this is happening after only 6-7 sessions. Not sure if I can fix them my self, should replace the kingpins completely, or if I should just try to contact Ace about it. Pretty happy with the trucks otherwise, but I don't want to deal with loose kingpins on trucks that are so new.

Dude, reach out to ACE, your pins shouldn't be wobbling so soon, if ever.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They're 55 mm tall like the regular iny's
They are made of 4140 Chromoly Steel  and have a grade 8 kingpin just like the regular ones

Isn't Rowely a Stage VII/VIII purist (so was SALBA) IX and X didn't turn well, had washer binding and a pokey yoke; XII fixed most of that stuff. Nice of Indy to give him some extra coin in his pocket with a pro truck.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:59:34 AM by Xen »

Main

« Reply #678 on: May 03, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Isn't Rowely a Stage VII/VIII purist (so was SALBA) IX and X didn't turn well, had washer binding and a pokey yoke; XII fixed most of that stuff. Nice of Indy to give him some extra coin in his pocket with a pro truck.

https://www.instagram.com/p/86uMxKtr6L/?taken-by=geoffrowley

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #679 on: May 03, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »
This has probably already been answered in this thread but I'm too lazy to skim through it, but anyways, do stage 10s and stage 11s have the same hangers, or are stage 11 hangers taller? If I were to replace a stage 11 standard Indy hangar with a stage 10 standard hanger would it feel exactly the same or would it feel off cuz there's a difference in height?

BMCsteve

« Reply #680 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
This has probably already been answered in this thread but I'm too lazy to skim through it, but anyways, do stage 10s and stage 11s have the same hangers, or are stage 11 hangers taller? If I were to replace a stage 11 standard Indy hangar with a stage 10 standard hanger would it feel exactly the same or would it feel off cuz there's a difference in height?

Same baseplates, different hangers.  You can swap the stage 11 hangers for the stage 10 but you'll have all of the issues that stage 10's had (less of a turning radius, yoke sticking out, less kingpin clearance, etc.)

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #681 on: May 03, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/86uMxKtr6L/?taken-by=geoffrowley
He's a purist but they stamped his name on it to make money (old trucks ain't cheap) but it's pretty much a regular truck.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #682 on: May 04, 2016, 01:35:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any reccomendations on how or who to contact? Sent an email to [email protected], but not sure if thats the best method.

EDIT: Got an email back right away. Said it was the baseplate and that it would need to be replaced. Also they have a warranty program so I can have them exchanged, but I would be without trucks during that time which might suck. Think I'll ride them a bit longer before sending them in. Are the magnesium baseplates worth the cost? Could be a good substitue while shipping the busted ones.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:46:15 AM by Crow T. Robot »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: May 04, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Any reccomendations on how or who to contact? Sent an email to [email protected], but not sure if thats the best method.

EDIT: Got an email back right away. Said it was the baseplate and that it would need to be replaced. Also they have a warranty program so I can have them exchanged, but I would be without trucks during that time which might suck. Think I'll ride them a bit longer before sending them in. Are the magnesium baseplates worth the cost? Could be a good substitue while shipping the busted ones.

Totally worth it, IMO.  I'm trying to find a backup set but they're no where to be found!

Main

« Reply #684 on: May 04, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »
The magnesium plates were discontinued because the softer metal was getting demolished pretty easy by people who skated street. A normal cast set will still feel lighter than Indy's, so I wouldn't say you're missing out on much by not having magnesium's.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #685 on: May 06, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
My trusty Ventures died on me today. Trying to figure out what trucks to get next...reading this thread makes me wanna get Ace 44's. I prefer my trucks loose, turny, and not Indy height. Good choice?

Main

« Reply #686 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »
My trusty Ventures died on me today. Trying to figure out what trucks to get next...reading this thread makes me wanna get Ace 44's. I prefer my trucks loose, turny, and not Indy height. Good choice?

Yep.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #687 on: May 06, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #688 on: May 06, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »
NO

Get Indy lows and we won't see this type of post again

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: May 06, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep.
[close]