Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 293864 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #750 on: May 27, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
How are the Krux K4 8.25" compared to Indy 149 Stage 11s with Bones hard bushings?

I was thinking of getting another pair of trucks possibly to use for a "cruiser", as my OJs Keyframes are like 5 times faster than harder wheels over here with crummy terrain. I was thinking of trying out the Ace 44s, but they don't seem to be very widely available here and I could get the Krux for 49� from a local shop, compared to the Aces for around 70� shipped.

Never had Indy 149's but the 8.25 krux are so good, stable yet not so hefty. I've had 139 with bones hards and they still turn some just really stable turn cause you know, hards

Sorry if my input isn't much help but truthfully I say go with the krux 8.25. They're much lighter and have that stable wide truck feel and he stock bushings are so nice.

I hopped on my friends board win Indy 149 and they're stable Forsure but so heavy, you can feel it in the turn too how heavy they are when they veer

Thanks man. Actually the Bones hards feel like they've gone soft on me. Had them in for a while and I've cranked down the nut a half turn like 4 times or something from what it was in the beginning. I guess I'm heaving than most skaters though at 85 kg (188 pounds). Didn't like the stock Indy bushings at all. Had to crank them down a lot and then it was just still, but still got wheelbite, also no proper rebound anymore.

Kinda wondering how the Krux will be with the stock bushings, cuz I'm heavier than the average lad. Dunno what replacement bushings work well with Krux.

So, you will likely find the krux bushings too soft if you skate Bones hards.  Good news, Bones bushings fit perfectly in Krux but the key thing to remember is use both bottom and top washers.  Bones bushings are the exact same height as Krux bushings which are taller than Indy's. 

If you can find them wherever you are, the other option is Bitch bushings by Khiro.  They also fit perfectly, you have a lot of options for hardness and the quality is top notch - http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=bitch+bushings&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=n&s[full_desc]=n&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #751 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
Kinda wondering how the Krux will be with the stock bushings, cuz I'm heavier than the average lad. Dunno what replacement bushings work well with Krux.
Krux Bushings are my favorite bushings in the world! Pretty soft but not super soft, I believe they're like a 92a or something of that nature.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #752 on: May 27, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »
This all sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll go grab a pair tomorrow and see what's what. Still kinda thinking of the Aces for some reason, but the shop only seems to have 33s in stock. Gotta ask though. If they'd happen to have 44s in stock, I'd probably go with those as I've read so much praise for them in here.  :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #753 on: May 28, 2016, 06:18:27 AM »
Went and bought the Krux trucks.

The stock bushings are super soft. Had to crank them down like mad to not get wheelbite and even then they weren't nearly as stable as my Indys with Bones hards.

Put some Bones mediums there that I had around and they're much better with those. Got a bit more stability near the center, but it still turns when I want. Dunno if other bushings than Bones provide that, but I really do like that feeling.

Overall, they don't feel nearly as good as my Indys with Bones hards, but that's to be expected. New trucks, new bushings and also a setup that is not familiar to me. Will be interesting to see how I'll end up feeling about them in the long run.  :)

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #754 on: May 30, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
^ I hover around 180-190lbs and I have krux with stock bushings and they are fine. You gotta have a few sessions with them a little loose to break them in. Then you can crank down a little. Once mine broke in I tightened them a little and they've been fine. Still prefer my indy titaniums with orange after market bushings better than the krux tho.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #755 on: May 30, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
Well, I'm much more satisfied with them now with the Bones mediums. No need to put the stock bushings back. I prefer the feeling I get with Bones bushings, that it takes more force to make it turn initially, but then it does turn. Makes things much more stable for me at least.

I was actually thinking of trying Indy aftermarket bushings for my Indy trucks as ppl seem to like them a lot here. But the Bones are IMO lightyears better than the stock ones at least. Kinda worried the Indy aftermarkets wouldn't be as good.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #756 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »
Anyone running Indy 129s on an 8.125-8.25? I'm getting a new deck soon and wanna size up a bit so I can catch tricks easier, but I don't have money for new trucks and I'm worried that my 129s are gonna be too narrow if I get anything bigger than an 8

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #757 on: May 30, 2016, 11:21:12 PM »
ive tried those kind of smaller trucks on the sizes you described and an 8.125 is your best choice cause the 8.25 made the trucks actually feel off balance with how wide the board is, the 8.125 felt okay on balance but i loved it cause the smaller trucks helped it flip so perfect and made it so easy to do tricks i take a few tries on. frontside flips, hardflips, heel flips, they all felt too easy weirdly but i loved it. then my curiosity got to me and changed up my setup as usual.

traded my friend my krux 8.25 for his indy 149 reynolds and theyre alright so far

hey is it me or do you guys notice indy 149 are a bit shorter than 139 in height, i know everyones gonna tell me no cause all indy standards are 55mm tall and i know that but truthfully riding these 149 they dont make me feel all high off the ground and unstable like 139s, they almost feel like a more solid, stable, carvy thunder 149er II, maybe the 55mm tallness works better on the 149 length and is just unstable on the 139 length. idk thats just my opinion but another question

do you guys think the truck companies have one size of their truck they focus on perfecting more than others, like i feel thunder focused more on perfecting their 147 more then decided to revamp the 149 since those are the most selling sizes, and then with indy i feel the 149 are more well molded and crafted than 139 as if when they were doing stage 11 they did it focused around the 149 then just applied the stage 11 149 specs on the other sizes
yes

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: May 31, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
ive tried those kind of smaller trucks on the sizes you described and an 8.125 is your best choice cause the 8.25 made the trucks actually feel off balance with how wide the board is, the 8.125 felt okay on balance but i loved it cause the smaller trucks helped it flip so perfect and made it so easy to do tricks i take a few tries on. frontside flips, hardflips, heel flips, they all felt too easy weirdly but i loved it. then my curiosity got to me and changed up my setup as usual.
Good to hear, what if I got something like an 8.18, would that still be fine?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #759 on: May 31, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
If you think you blew it you can always run. Few extra washers....ride a wider profile wheel.....

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #760 on: May 31, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
If you think you blew it you can always run. Few extra washers....ride a wider profile wheel.....
dunno how much good some washers will do me, as for wider wheels, I'm working on it

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #761 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
don't forget the, oh shit how do you say "entretoise" in english....the stuff you put between the bearings in the wheels...so you can tight them

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
« Reply #762 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
ive actually not had a problem with the see-through stock Thunder bushings.
hardly art, hardly starving

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: May 31, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

do you guys think the truck companies have one size of their truck they focus on perfecting more than others, like i feel thunder focused more on perfecting their 147 more then decided to revamp the 149 since those are the most selling sizes, and then with indy i feel the 149 are more well molded and crafted than 139 as if when they were doing stage 11 they did it focused around the 149 then just applied the stage 11 149 specs on the other sizes
Same
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #764 on: May 31, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
Anyone ever have a problem with their set-up sounding really dead? I don't know if it's because I'm running Ace's super loose with Bones and a wobble (I've never done that prior) or if it's the wood. I tried two different brand new decks (AH and Krooked) and when I plop my board down, or pop in general it sounds like a Wal-Mart board or something. The wheels are my usual Spitfire 101s F4's so I know it's not the wheels. Shit bugs me more than squeaky cups which now I don't even care about. I noticed on one of the Ace's theres a hole in the hanger that I can stick a needle through so maybe the trucks were shoddy from the factory, hence the dead sound? I don't know...I've never had a set-up that didn't give a beautiful feedback unless I had some super soft wheels or something...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #765 on: May 31, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
ive actually not had a problem with the see-through stock Thunder bushings.

I just switched back to some 149 II's from my frankensteined Indy 149's that I put old Stage 10 baseplates on and I tend to agree.  I am intrigued by the white ones in the same durometer though.  I figure it's only $5.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
« Reply #766 on: June 01, 2016, 08:54:50 AM »
Anyone ever have a problem with their set-up sounding really dead? I don't know if it's because I'm running Ace's super loose with Bones and a wobble (I've never done that prior) or if it's the wood. I tried two different brand new decks (AH and Krooked) and when I plop my board down, or pop in general it sounds like a Wal-Mart board or something. The wheels are my usual Spitfire 101s F4's so I know it's not the wheels. Shit bugs me more than squeaky cups which now I don't even care about. I noticed on one of the Ace's theres a hole in the hanger that I can stick a needle through so maybe the trucks were shoddy from the factory, hence the dead sound? I don't know...I've never had a set-up that didn't give a beautiful feedback unless I had some super soft wheels or something...
Pop your bearing shields maybe?

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 16
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #767 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
Pop your bearing shields maybe?

Nah it's definitely the trucks.  All the Aces I've had has that sound.  I think it's the kingpin not totally flush in the baseplate.  Saying that none of my kingpins have broken or come off.  But yeah it's irritating as hell.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:51:18 AM by Decreed Bratton »

Main

« Reply #768 on: June 01, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
Well sheeiiit....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #769 on: June 01, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
Do you have the axle nut super tight or what? MY buddy has a set up with some super longboard bearings that sounds dead as fuck because he can tighten it down.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #770 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
Do you have the axle nut super tight or what? MY buddy has a set up with some super longboard bearings that sounds dead as fuck because he can tighten it down.

I have 1 axle washer on the inside and outside of each wheel, with the nut as tight as it can be while still allowing just a tiny amount of play when I move the wheel from side to side. I've always thought that was the proper way to do it?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #771 on: June 01, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »
Give it a half turn loose and see if it sounds better. I've probably always given too much play, but I like it that way. Being able to shake the board and hear it, you know.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #772 on: June 01, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
I'll try it, thanks dude.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #773 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
what tightness of trucks do you guys skate? both tight? both loose? one tighter one looser? medium?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
  • personal text
« Reply #774 on: June 01, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
i skate them pretty tight, but i keep going through bushings though

m477

• Rep: 4
« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »
The dreaded dead sounding pop. Nothing worse. Here are my experiences:

-using wd-40 to clean your bearings or too much lube. This will kill any crisp popping sound. Don't know why but it does. Classic rookie mistake

-insanly loose trucks. The lack of weight distribution/center of gravity produces inconsistent pop. Unless you have daewon precision snap, it'll be weak/dead feeling.

-setup is too light. Similar to loose trucks, unless you produce Bruce lee force, it'll sound like a cardboard box.

-constantly leaving your board in the hot car/trunk

-water (duh)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2016, 11:54:21 PM »
I ride everything tight and light...and yes...it feels like a pre made complete.....I think it's great....

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #777 on: June 02, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
Haha classic rookie mistake, true. There's gotta be a meme for that with the college kid with the captions "has dirty bearings, Uses wd-40"

I ride it medium tight, having it tight helps with flip tricks a bunch. Make my kick flips fast and catch high. But I still need a little turn for those super mobbed lands that need an escape lean and turn
yes

Main

« Reply #778 on: June 02, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
So the Bones top and bottom bushings are both a tiny bit shorter than Ace stocks. When I added the bottom washer and tried them out they didn't turn any better than the Ace stocks, and it also made the Bones bottom sit higher than an Ace stock bottom with the washer.

I've been digging the turn with no bottom washer and Bones mediums, but it's also very unstable, and that dead sound in my board is not jivin' with me at all. I'm thinking of buying Bones hards and omitting the bottom washer but using the top, just like I did with the mediums. Do you guys think the hards will make the Ace's turn like shit? I'm about 210lbs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: June 02, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
I think if you're 210.....no......it'll turn good.....