Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221020 times)

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #750 on: May 31, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
ive tried those kind of smaller trucks on the sizes you described and an 8.125 is your best choice cause the 8.25 made the trucks actually feel off balance with how wide the board is, the 8.125 felt okay on balance but i loved it cause the smaller trucks helped it flip so perfect and made it so easy to do tricks i take a few tries on. frontside flips, hardflips, heel flips, they all felt too easy weirdly but i loved it. then my curiosity got to me and changed up my setup as usual.
Good to hear, what if I got something like an 8.18, would that still be fine?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #751 on: May 31, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
If you think you blew it you can always run. Few extra washers....ride a wider profile wheel.....

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #752 on: May 31, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
If you think you blew it you can always run. Few extra washers....ride a wider profile wheel.....
dunno how much good some washers will do me, as for wider wheels, I'm working on it

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #753 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
don't forget the, oh shit how do you say "entretoise" in english....the stuff you put between the bearings in the wheels...so you can tight them

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #754 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
ive actually not had a problem with the see-through stock Thunder bushings.
hardly art, hardly starving

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #755 on: May 31, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

do you guys think the truck companies have one size of their truck they focus on perfecting more than others, like i feel thunder focused more on perfecting their 147 more then decided to revamp the 149 since those are the most selling sizes, and then with indy i feel the 149 are more well molded and crafted than 139 as if when they were doing stage 11 they did it focused around the 149 then just applied the stage 11 149 specs on the other sizes
Same
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #756 on: May 31, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
Anyone ever have a problem with their set-up sounding really dead? I don't know if it's because I'm running Ace's super loose with Bones and a wobble (I've never done that prior) or if it's the wood. I tried two different brand new decks (AH and Krooked) and when I plop my board down, or pop in general it sounds like a Wal-Mart board or something. The wheels are my usual Spitfire 101s F4's so I know it's not the wheels. Shit bugs me more than squeaky cups which now I don't even care about. I noticed on one of the Ace's theres a hole in the hanger that I can stick a needle through so maybe the trucks were shoddy from the factory, hence the dead sound? I don't know...I've never had a set-up that didn't give a beautiful feedback unless I had some super soft wheels or something...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #757 on: May 31, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
ive actually not had a problem with the see-through stock Thunder bushings.

I just switched back to some 149 II's from my frankensteined Indy 149's that I put old Stage 10 baseplates on and I tend to agree.  I am intrigued by the white ones in the same durometer though.  I figure it's only $5.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #758 on: June 01, 2016, 08:54:50 AM »
Anyone ever have a problem with their set-up sounding really dead? I don't know if it's because I'm running Ace's super loose with Bones and a wobble (I've never done that prior) or if it's the wood. I tried two different brand new decks (AH and Krooked) and when I plop my board down, or pop in general it sounds like a Wal-Mart board or something. The wheels are my usual Spitfire 101s F4's so I know it's not the wheels. Shit bugs me more than squeaky cups which now I don't even care about. I noticed on one of the Ace's theres a hole in the hanger that I can stick a needle through so maybe the trucks were shoddy from the factory, hence the dead sound? I don't know...I've never had a set-up that didn't give a beautiful feedback unless I had some super soft wheels or something...
Pop your bearing shields maybe?

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #759 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Pop your bearing shields maybe?

Nah it's definitely the trucks.  All the Aces I've had has that sound.  I think it's the kingpin not totally flush in the baseplate.  Saying that none of my kingpins have broken or come off.  But yeah it's irritating as hell.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:51:18 AM by Decreed Bratton »

Main

« Reply #760 on: June 01, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
Well sheeiiit....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #761 on: June 01, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
Do you have the axle nut super tight or what? MY buddy has a set up with some super longboard bearings that sounds dead as fuck because he can tighten it down.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #762 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
Do you have the axle nut super tight or what? MY buddy has a set up with some super longboard bearings that sounds dead as fuck because he can tighten it down.

I have 1 axle washer on the inside and outside of each wheel, with the nut as tight as it can be while still allowing just a tiny amount of play when I move the wheel from side to side. I've always thought that was the proper way to do it?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #763 on: June 01, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »
Give it a half turn loose and see if it sounds better. I've probably always given too much play, but I like it that way. Being able to shake the board and hear it, you know.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #764 on: June 01, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
I'll try it, thanks dude.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #765 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
what tightness of trucks do you guys skate? both tight? both loose? one tighter one looser? medium?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #766 on: June 01, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
i skate them pretty tight, but i keep going through bushings though

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #767 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »
The dreaded dead sounding pop. Nothing worse. Here are my experiences:

-using wd-40 to clean your bearings or too much lube. This will kill any crisp popping sound. Don't know why but it does. Classic rookie mistake

-insanly loose trucks. The lack of weight distribution/center of gravity produces inconsistent pop. Unless you have daewon precision snap, it'll be weak/dead feeling.

-setup is too light. Similar to loose trucks, unless you produce Bruce lee force, it'll sound like a cardboard box.

-constantly leaving your board in the hot car/trunk

-water (duh)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: June 01, 2016, 11:54:21 PM »
I ride everything tight and light...and yes...it feels like a pre made complete.....I think it's great....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #769 on: June 02, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
Haha classic rookie mistake, true. There's gotta be a meme for that with the college kid with the captions "has dirty bearings, Uses wd-40"

I ride it medium tight, having it tight helps with flip tricks a bunch. Make my kick flips fast and catch high. But I still need a little turn for those super mobbed lands that need an escape lean and turn
yes

Main

« Reply #770 on: June 02, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
So the Bones top and bottom bushings are both a tiny bit shorter than Ace stocks. When I added the bottom washer and tried them out they didn't turn any better than the Ace stocks, and it also made the Bones bottom sit higher than an Ace stock bottom with the washer.

I've been digging the turn with no bottom washer and Bones mediums, but it's also very unstable, and that dead sound in my board is not jivin' with me at all. I'm thinking of buying Bones hards and omitting the bottom washer but using the top, just like I did with the mediums. Do you guys think the hards will make the Ace's turn like shit? I'm about 210lbs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: June 02, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
I think if you're 210.....no......it'll turn good.....

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #772 on: June 03, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Ace 44 kingpins started to slip too much so I sent in the base plates last Monday, and got some new ones in today. Pretty fast return, hope they work out.
Got a new set of 159's for $20 I've been skating the past two weeks while I waited. Pretty nice having trucks that wide, but setting them up to wobble on a warped 8.375 has been a pretty shitty experience. When ever I look at the board it seems that they stick out more to one side because of the warp, and they wheel bite too easily. Ive got them set up with some old Indy shaved down aftermarket medium bushings, but I might get some softer bushings and crank them down a bit at some point.
159's are going to sit in the spare parts bin for now until I find a wide enough board for them. Stoked to hop back on some 44's again. Might swap the front and back hangars just to even out the grooves a little.   

Main

« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »
The complications of getting the right bushings in my Ace's so they turn good, along with the shitty squeaky pivot cups and dead sound, I went out and bought some Indy standard 149's. I kept thinking I was going to hate going back to them and hardly be able to turn, but I was wrong.

After I set it all up I put in Bones mediums, with the stock top washer as my bottom washer, and then used the Bones top washer they include. Trucks didn't turn AT ALL and I was like fuck...I hope I didn't just waste my money. So I took out the bottom washer while still using the Bones top and it was fine. Yeah, the turn is slightly more sluggish and not as sharp as Ace, but it wasn't enough to make me want to put my Ace's back on.

I always thought Ace's grinded better and smoother, but today I realized Indy's grind way smoother and longer. I wasn't slipping back and forth on the truck, I was locking right into grinds perfectly near the wheel. Ace's design is supposed to make that happen with their whole "rocker" but I realized it didn't really make it THAT much easier to notice a difference.

Also, aesthetically, I looked at a bunch of different sets of Ace's at the shop and the quality control seems to not be very good. Lots of gouges in the metal on the hanger, rough warped looking edges outside the yoke, and the pivot cups were sloppy as hell. Several sets looked like this, and it was probably the culprit for mine sounding dead, even running them stock. Indy's had a bunch of white-ish casting marks all over them but everything was solid and smooth. I know this shit probably doesn't matter to anyone but I pay attention to detail, even though I'm going to grind it down.

So yeah...I'm back on basic ass Indy's and I think I'm staying. Only thing I regret is I bought 99 duro Formula Fours instead of 101's and they're too grippy for my liking.

N.L.

« Reply #774 on: June 03, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »
Glad you got your shit worked out Main. Now stick with what you've got and ride the shit out of it. All trucks get better with age. Turn your trucks on and your mind off. Go.

Main

« Reply #775 on: June 03, 2016, 09:09:08 PM »
Thanks dude, I appreciate ya! I've taken apart and put back together so many different set-ups lately. I'm ready to skate this one till it's destroyed...

Main

« Reply #776 on: June 10, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »
Anyone ever try the Tracker Axis?

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #777 on: June 10, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
Anyone ever try the Tracker Axis?

LOL

This local dude Geoff who owns a small company called Kitsch rode those for ages! He swore by them. One of the distributors up here had tons of them for ages. Then one day, they were all gone and Geoff had to switch trucks LOL

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #778 on: June 10, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
Been riding only independents since 1994.

For past 8 years or so, been riding 139s with stock everything, no tightening, as they are from the factory. Same trucks on my regular whip and cruiser. I've broken 2 hangers in the past year. Setting up another cruiser and trying thunder 147 hi.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #779 on: June 10, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »
Anybody ever get axle slip in the first 30 mins of skating new trucks?