Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296045 times)

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 25
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #780 on: June 03, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Ace 44 kingpins started to slip too much so I sent in the base plates last Monday, and got some new ones in today. Pretty fast return, hope they work out.
Got a new set of 159's for $20 I've been skating the past two weeks while I waited. Pretty nice having trucks that wide, but setting them up to wobble on a warped 8.375 has been a pretty shitty experience. When ever I look at the board it seems that they stick out more to one side because of the warp, and they wheel bite too easily. Ive got them set up with some old Indy shaved down aftermarket medium bushings, but I might get some softer bushings and crank them down a bit at some point.
159's are going to sit in the spare parts bin for now until I find a wide enough board for them. Stoked to hop back on some 44's again. Might swap the front and back hangars just to even out the grooves a little.   

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #781 on: June 03, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »
The complications of getting the right bushings in my Ace's so they turn good, along with the shitty squeaky pivot cups and dead sound, I went out and bought some Indy standard 149's. I kept thinking I was going to hate going back to them and hardly be able to turn, but I was wrong.

After I set it all up I put in Bones mediums, with the stock top washer as my bottom washer, and then used the Bones top washer they include. Trucks didn't turn AT ALL and I was like fuck...I hope I didn't just waste my money. So I took out the bottom washer while still using the Bones top and it was fine. Yeah, the turn is slightly more sluggish and not as sharp as Ace, but it wasn't enough to make me want to put my Ace's back on.

I always thought Ace's grinded better and smoother, but today I realized Indy's grind way smoother and longer. I wasn't slipping back and forth on the truck, I was locking right into grinds perfectly near the wheel. Ace's design is supposed to make that happen with their whole "rocker" but I realized it didn't really make it THAT much easier to notice a difference.

Also, aesthetically, I looked at a bunch of different sets of Ace's at the shop and the quality control seems to not be very good. Lots of gouges in the metal on the hanger, rough warped looking edges outside the yoke, and the pivot cups were sloppy as hell. Several sets looked like this, and it was probably the culprit for mine sounding dead, even running them stock. Indy's had a bunch of white-ish casting marks all over them but everything was solid and smooth. I know this shit probably doesn't matter to anyone but I pay attention to detail, even though I'm going to grind it down.

So yeah...I'm back on basic ass Indy's and I think I'm staying. Only thing I regret is I bought 99 duro Formula Fours instead of 101's and they're too grippy for my liking.

N.L.

« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »
Glad you got your shit worked out Main. Now stick with what you've got and ride the shit out of it. All trucks get better with age. Turn your trucks on and your mind off. Go.

Main

« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2016, 09:09:08 PM »
Thanks dude, I appreciate ya! I've taken apart and put back together so many different set-ups lately. I'm ready to skate this one till it's destroyed...

Main

« Reply #784 on: June 10, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »
Anyone ever try the Tracker Axis?

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
    • Fairways & Flips
« Reply #785 on: June 10, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
Anyone ever try the Tracker Axis?

LOL

This local dude Geoff who owns a small company called Kitsch rode those for ages! He swore by them. One of the distributors up here had tons of them for ages. Then one day, they were all gone and Geoff had to switch trucks LOL

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
    • Fairways & Flips
« Reply #786 on: June 10, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
Been riding only independents since 1994.

For past 8 years or so, been riding 139s with stock everything, no tightening, as they are from the factory. Same trucks on my regular whip and cruiser. I've broken 2 hangers in the past year. Setting up another cruiser and trying thunder 147 hi.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #787 on: June 10, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »
Anybody ever get axle slip in the first 30 mins of skating new trucks?
"fucking wheel feel off"

BMCsteve

« Reply #788 on: June 10, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
as someone who has switched trucks more often than 99% of people on the planet, once I decided to just stick with Indy Titanium (currently alternating between 159's and 169's) all of my problems were solved.

No trucks are perfect for everything but overall Indy wins (for me) in pros vs cons above everything else.  The more I skate them, the more I appreciate them
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:29:33 PM by BMCsteve »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #789 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
Yah, the truck would be more or less idiot proof if it wasn't for people like us......

Main

« Reply #790 on: June 10, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
LOL

This local dude Geoff who owns a small company called Kitsch rode those for ages! He swore by them. One of the distributors up here had tons of them for ages. Then one day, they were all gone and Geoff had to switch trucks LOL

Well from my super nerd-err-iffic research, looks like Tracker is the only truck company making every component of a truck in the USA. Might be worth getting some but I'm still hesitant. They're fucking Trackers...

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 25
« Reply #791 on: June 11, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
For those that ride the ACE/Krux bushings combo, do you guys keep the bottom washer in? Set mine up to rattle a little bit, but they've recently gotten pretty packed out and I have the nut turned 5-6 threads down on the kingpin.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #792 on: June 13, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
Just scraped most of the paint off my Krux with some scissors, looks kinda janky but I dig it. I'll post pics a bit later if anyone's interested. Anybody ever tried running Krux hangers on Indy baseplates? Thinking of running mine that way so I don't gotta look at these black plates.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.

le88

• Rep: -7
« Reply #793 on: June 13, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
was strictly on indys for a few years but the last sets I've had, whenever i switched the bushings out, the kingpins were all wobbly. and that was with multiple sets. contacted nhs and they wanted me to pay for shipping so i said fuck that and tried the thunder 149 ii and those so far have been awesome, don't even mess with the bushings either

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
    • Fairways & Flips
« Reply #794 on: June 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM »
Have some Thunders coming for a cruiser but was looking at them on my friends board and the baseplate holes are kinda crazy. They are so close to the edge on the nose and tail side. My buddies hardware is shredded to shit, like it's 1991.

It's like after most truck companies removed the 6 hole pattern however many years ago, rather than keep the space where the 5th and 6th holes were, they centered the mounting holes on the baseplate, which puts the bolts closer to the nose and tail slide area. It has more clearance than the old truck hole pattern but less than indy's, which maintains the offset when they removed the 5th and 6th hole. Because of where the holes are drilled on thunder baseplates, it also artificially narrows the relative wheelbase 

OldManSkate

• Rep: -2
« Reply #795 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
For those that ride the ACE/Krux bushings combo, do you guys keep the bottom washer in? Set mine up to rattle a little bit, but they've recently gotten pretty packed out and I have the nut turned 5-6 threads down on the kingpin.
I keep the bottom washer in, no rattles.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 21
« Reply #796 on: June 14, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
wish i had time to read this entire thread.

i'm 36, 6'4, 165. Skate mostly ledges, bumps, mannys, flat and jersey barriers, DIY tranny at this point in NYC/Philly

Have standard Indy's and skate an 8", scaled back after landing primo innumerable times on tres on 8.25. basically trying to hang on to shit, not progress as i'm on some 45 hours a week stressful job shit and a shadow of my abilities in my 20's.

Anytime I pick up a homies board that pretty much has the same dimensions equipped with ventures or thunders etc it straight feels SIGNIFICANTLY lighter.

light boards were a big deal growing up skating freedom/love etc.

Anyone have an recs on lighter trucks that are sturdy. when my head was in the clouds and i was skating 10-15 hours a week i could care fuck all about setup but trying to tweak my setup to lesson the margin of complexity at this stage.

does this shit make any difference or am I searching for excuses why i'm declining ha.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #797 on: June 14, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
^ Try the the hollow light indys. They're a little lower and a little lighter.

I have some venture 5 lows on a 7.75 that I just leave in the trunk of my car in case I get bored, and I'm surprised how well they turn... It's kind of fucking with me.
you never know about pre-cum 

dirty ol man

« Reply #798 on: June 14, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »

I have some venture 5 lows on a 7.75 that I just leave in the trunk of my car in case I get bored, and I'm surprised how well they turn... It's kind of fucking with me.

Yeah I'll just compare the weights. I'm curious if anyone made a shift to lighter trucks and noticed things getting springy or snapping easier or if say .5 pound difference is all in your mind. basically feel like my muscle memory is based on an outdated setup and I'm fine with reverting back to it.

BMCsteve

« Reply #799 on: June 14, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

Yeah I'll just compare the weights. I'm curious if anyone made a shift to lighter trucks and noticed things getting springy or snapping easier or if say .5 pound difference is all in your mind. basically feel like my muscle memory is based on an outdated setup and I'm fine with reverting back to it.

It's all in your mind but skating is mostly mental so I shell out for the Indy Titaniums :)

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #800 on: June 15, 2016, 02:16:21 AM »
My Indys (standard 149s) have been feeling off for a couple of weeks. I replaced the pivot cups (1 yr old) and the bottom bushings (1 1/2 yr old). They felt good straight away and didn't need any breaking in. The aftermarket bushings are definitely worth it, so much better than Bones.

Steve, the titaniums are the same height as the forged hollows right? Did you try the hollows before going titanium? I'll try at least one of them before going to Thunders. I still get bad wheelbite on stage 11s, so trying something else seems worthwhile.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:28:01 AM by clamy »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #801 on: June 15, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »
^ I have the titaniums too and I love em. If you are getting wheel bite on standard 149s maybe go hollow or Titanium but use risers. So you'll get a little added height but maybe not so much as if you added risers to standards.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #802 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
^ I have the titaniums too and I love em. If you are getting wheel bite on standard 149s maybe go hollow or Titanium but use risers. So you'll get a little added height but maybe not so much as if you added risers to standards.

Yup, add rises.  Also, if you are getting wheelbite on standard Indy's, you'll get twice as much on Thunder.  The geometry of Ace seem to reduce wheelbite the most.

I think risers went out for most skaters who don't focus on tranny or skate huge wheels but they're making a comeback.

Function over form

dirty ol man

« Reply #803 on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »

It's all in your mind but skating is mostly mental so I shell out for the Indy Titaniums :)

So they're double the price for a FIFTEEN % weight reduction. not sure anyone could tell the difference on an overall setup. You really think it makes a difference?

i should stop being a cackfag and start doing squats instead of toiling over a few ounce difference in weight.

BMCsteve

« Reply #804 on: June 15, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »

So they're double the price for a FIFTEEN % weight reduction. not sure anyone could tell the difference on an overall setup. You really think it makes a difference?

i should stop being a cackfag and start doing squats instead of toiling over a few ounce difference in weight.

The difference is about 120g which is 4.2oz of weight savings in your setup.  it's not really going to make a difference in your skating but you can feel it just by picking up your board

The woodshop your board comes from makes a huge difference as well.  an 8.38x32 from NHS (china wood) is 120g lighter than an 8.38x32 South Central deck

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #805 on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
I still skate theeve Tih's....on an 8" board....it's noticeably lighter.....you do get used to it but when I skate my other set ups they feel like tanks....for me, I Ollie higher on something heavier and more solid....I kickflip better on something a bit heavier too.....but any other flip trick yah, lighter is easier.....transition....heavier and wider.....everything else I like my lighter board....

If I have a bad day on a heavier board I'm more prone to blame the weight.....on a light board....I'm more prone to blame the deck as too old or too new.....

N.L.

« Reply #806 on: June 15, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
i find the truck geo, and location of the axle to the tail, has more of an influence on my pop than truck weight.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #807 on: June 15, 2016, 06:42:32 PM »

My bearing is stuck in the truck. I've lubed it, then tried to get it out with a bunch of utensils but I can't get it out... wtf ! I'm scared that using a hammer will brake it, so now I don't know what to do. Has this ever happened to anyone ?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:44:15 PM by Julz »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #808 on: June 15, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

My bearing is stuck in the truck. I've lubed it, then tried to get it out with a bunch of utensils but I can't get it out... wtf ! I'm scared that using a hammer will brake it, so now I don't know what to do. Has this ever happened to anyone ?

Bash it on a curb.
you never know about pre-cum 

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #809 on: June 16, 2016, 12:12:24 AM »
that happened to me a while back on some pre-DLXSF ventures.. had to hammer the bearing which resulted in the bearing blowing up. not sure if its the accel that has slightly slipped
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[