Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296609 times)

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #810 on: June 16, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »
You tried taking the truck off and put it in a bench vice, then wiggle that shit free

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #811 on: June 16, 2016, 02:56:29 AM »
i find the truck geo, and location of the axle to the tail, has more of an influence on my pop than truck weight.

Right! I was testing my venture lows with my Indy lows and they both sit at 48mm tall and the ventures felt so odd like it increased the wheel base but the Indy lows felt so right.
yes

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #812 on: June 16, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
Fuck, I haven't been back home since last night, hopefully there's nothing wrong with the truck, I've just set it up last month.  >:(

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #813 on: June 17, 2016, 06:27:27 AM »
^ I have the titaniums too and I love em. If you are getting wheel bite on standard 149s maybe go hollow or Titanium but use risers. So you'll get a little added height but maybe not so much as if you added risers to standards.

Yup, add rises.  Also, if you are getting wheelbite on standard Indy's, you'll get twice as much on Thunder.  The geometry of Ace seem to reduce wheelbite the most.

I think risers went out for most skaters who don't focus on tranny or skate huge wheels but they're making a comeback.

Function over form

Alright, so I'm going to stay with Indy and try some hollows. 55mm on the stage 11s is a little high for me. I liked the stage 10 height, so the forged stuff should work better. I haven't used risers since my first proper setup, I remember ditching them when I got my second board.

Will Indy titanium hangers work on the Indy forged hollow baseplates and vice versa? I can get some all black titaniums really cheap, so I may as well buy a set of hollows and have x2 sets of trucks - black hangers on raw baseplates and raw hangers on black baseplates, since it's probably not worth stripping the paint back.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:44:23 AM by clamy »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #814 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
I skate risers just cause I get wheelbite so often....and I'm a medium truck guy who doesn't weigh anything.....

BMCsteve

« Reply #815 on: June 17, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
^ I have the titaniums too and I love em. If you are getting wheel bite on standard 149s maybe go hollow or Titanium but use risers. So you'll get a little added height but maybe not so much as if you added risers to standards.

Yup, add rises.  Also, if you are getting wheelbite on standard Indy's, you'll get twice as much on Thunder.  The geometry of Ace seem to reduce wheelbite the most.

I think risers went out for most skaters who don't focus on tranny or skate huge wheels but they're making a comeback.

Function over form

Alright, so I'm going to stay with Indy and try some hollows. 55mm on the stage 11s is a little high for me. I liked the stage 10 height, so the forged stuff should work better. I haven't used risers since my first proper setup, I remember ditching them when I got my second board.

Will Indy titanium hangers work on the Indy forged hollow baseplates and vice versa? I can get some all black titaniums really cheap, so I may as well buy a set of hollows and have x2 sets of trucks - black hangers on raw baseplates and raw hangers on black baseplates, since it's probably not worth stripping the paint back.

yes

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #816 on: June 17, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
This thread is rad. I appreciate the intricacy y'all have when it comes to your truck setups/truck rituals, but trucks aren't something I freak out too much about anymore; I feel like I've finally found the golden ticket with trucks. I still drive myself insane when it comes to rituals over other certain other gear, but for trucks, as long as it's some Indy stage 11 149 standards with the Indy 94A aftermarket barrel bottom bushings put in and tightened to a medium tightish feel with the front truck slightly looser than the back, then I'm good to go. Been rocking that setting for more than half a year now and I'm loving it. No complaints at all and I haven't had any need to adjust or mess with my trucks at all since I stumbled upon this setting.
The stage 11s are awesome. My previous trucks before these were stage 10s and I had to constantly mess with them with a skate tool to keep them feeling right.

clamy

« Reply #817 on: June 18, 2016, 05:05:48 AM »

Function over form

yes

Thanks for the quick reply.

Will standard stage 11 hangers work on forged baseplates? If so, will they still be 53.5mm tall?

BMCsteve

« Reply #818 on: June 18, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »

Function over form

yes

Thanks for the quick reply.

Will standard stage 11 hangers work on forged baseplates? If so, will they still be 53.5mm tall?

Yup, all of the stage 11 stuff can be swapped.  53.5 = Forged 55 = Standard

clamy

« Reply #819 on: June 20, 2016, 05:07:57 AM »
Thanks a bunch, Steve.

I'm going to take a break from Indies and try some Ace. Something lower and lighter will be nice. Couldn't see myself changing over to Thunders. Seems like too many people here have tried Thunder only to come back to Independent.

In the meantime I'm going to stockpile some forged hollow/titanium stuff since I have a heap of spare Indy aftermarket bushings and pivot cups.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #820 on: June 20, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »
^Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Aces as high as Indys and a few grams heavier?

clamy

« Reply #821 on: June 20, 2016, 06:33:32 AM »
They're a few millimetres lower than stage 11s (even lower than what stage 10s were, but only by half a mm). That's enough for me to try them. Even though I've gotten used to them, I find stage 11s too high.

Yep, they're pretty much the same weight, but apparently they wear down quicker so they'll be lighter in no time  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:38:24 AM by clamy »

BMCsteve

« Reply #822 on: June 20, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »
They're a few millimetres lower than stage 11s (even lower than what stage 10s were, but only by half a mm). That's enough for me to try them. Even though I've gotten used to them, I find stage 11s too high.

Yep, they're pretty much the same weight, but apparently they wear down quicker so they'll be lighter in no time  ;D

Ace are 53.5mm which is the same as Forged Stage 11's.  Ace are heavier than standard stage 11's and a lot heavier than hollow or Ti stage 11's

clamy

« Reply #823 on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »
I'm not that concerned with weight, mainly height. However, I can't see myself skating lows again.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #824 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Can anyone give me some kind of a description on how Aces turn compared to stage 11 Indys and Krux?

I've got 149 stage 11s and 8.25" Krux'. Indys with Bones hards and Krux with Bones mediums. The Krux are kinda weird compared to the Indys. They turn really easily (medium vs. hard, so that's to be expected), but I won't get any wheelbite with them even if I try. The board will just stop turning steeper at one point and after that it'll go on two wheels instead of wheelbiting. I kinda prefer that with the Krux, but then again I do think the Indys feel better. I ride 54 mm wheels on both setups. 8.25" board. For some reason I'm very intrigued with the Aces.

Also, what Indy bushings would you guys recommend to someone that likes Bones hards and mediums, but would rather get something in between? Do the durometers go the same as in the Bones or not due to the different design? Hard blacks? Super hard yellows? or Medium hard blues? As ppl have been hyping aftermarket Indy bushings so much here over the Bones (which I've been quite happy with), I'm interested in trying them out.

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #825 on: June 20, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
Can anyone give me some kind of a description on how Aces turn compared to stage 11 Indys and Krux?

I've got 149 stage 11s and 8.25" Krux'. Indys with Bones hards and Krux with Bones mediums. The Krux are kinda weird compared to the Indys. They turn really easily (medium vs. hard, so that's to be expected), but I won't get any wheelbite with them even if I try. The board will just stop turning steeper at one point and after that it'll go on two wheels instead of wheelbiting. I kinda prefer that with the Krux, but then again I do think the Indys feel better. I ride 54 mm wheels on both setups. 8.25" board. For some reason I'm very intrigued with the Aces.

Also, what Indy bushings would you guys recommend to someone that likes Bones hards and mediums, but would rather get something in between? Do the durometers go the same as in the Bones or not due to the different design? Hard blacks? Super hard yellows? or Medium hard blues? As ppl have been hyping aftermarket Indy bushings so much here over the Bones (which I've been quite happy with), I'm interested in trying them out.

I'm a big dude so Bones mediums tend to deform quickly. Never had that problem with hards and they still allow me to turn just fine. I've never tried Indy bushings but Steve will tell you all about how good they are. He knows his shit. The color of Indy bushings correlates to the hardness and it says right on the packaging.

I put bones in Aces without the bottom washer and it puts a lot of stress on the pivot because the bottom bushing is shorter than stock. Indy bushings won't work in Ace's because the bottom bushing is too tall. It's important to keep stock geometry. You can run Bones on your Aces without the bottom washer if you want but you'll make the shitty pivot cups blow out even quicker and they will be wobbly and unstable.

The turn of Ace's is snappier and more responsive than Indy but not by as much as its hyped up to be. Bones bushings in Ace's and Indy and the turn is very similar. I think of Ace now as just a Chinese version of an Indy stage III. Ace needs to improve their stock pivot and bushing quality to keep me as a customer. They fixed the bending issue, why not use better quality aluminum and urethane for the bushings? I've since gone back to Indy and I'm exploring other truck options. Ace isn't bad but still need to improve. Bottom line, they aren't going to turn significantly better than an Indy enough that you'll write home about.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #826 on: June 24, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »
Probably gonna sound like a bigger kook than everyone already thinks I am but people...
Mini-Logo trucks are actually pretty legit as some have said, I had to try a pair ever since reading that skateboarding is my life time review and it's like the guy said, they're really good trucks

I noticed some key features that made them up to par with the big boy truck brands,
-The hanger angle is like thunder hi(helps with the way it pops)
-The height is like venture lo(lower for more control)
-They actual have a turn very similar to thunder but with more carve rather than the quick sharp turn then center
-The nose/tail slide area of the baseplate extends so you don't get caught on a slide cause of wheels
-I'm very sure the bushings are basically a different mold of the bones mediums without cores

Idk guys, they turn very smooth and nice if you use a bones top without the washer
They feel like, you get the clean evened out straight pop of a thunder truck but when you land your not stuck centered or to have that quick wiggle of a turn but a controlled clean carvy turn after landing. Almost like indy's. Not as smooth carving away from landing with indy's but close.

I've had Indy standards and they're good with carvy turns and getting that emergency maneuvering for sloppy landings where your feet land awkardly and you can still lean any amount where you stand in the board and they'll turn but they always to me had such a soggy feeling pop if you rode them medium or loose. not snappy like thunders where you pop and just go straight up and forward and your there , indy's are like you drag your board up and forward to where you want it kind of feeling pops

Thunders always do me good and they have that quick jolty turn and clean feeling nice pop but they kinda lack that carve you love from indy's

That's where I feel mini logo trucks come in, they're a medium to those top 2 sellers
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #827 on: June 24, 2016, 07:12:11 AM »
I'm running ML trucks on one of my daughter's boards and I am always surprised how well they turn.

They're really low at 49mm so they might not be for everyone.

BMCsteve

« Reply #828 on: June 24, 2016, 07:22:18 AM »
Joey Brezenski was testing out some Tensor prototypes yesterday.  From what I could tell it looked like a mix of current tensors and thunders with more kingpin clearance than both. 

The current Tensor Tens are supposed to be really good.  If they improve upon that design I'll give them a shot (aluminum not magnesium)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: June 24, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
Joey Brezenski was testing out some Tensor prototypes yesterday.  From what I could tell it looked like a mix of current tensors and thunders with more kingpin clearance than both. 

The current Tensor Tens are supposed to be really good.  If they improve upon that design I'll give them a shot (aluminum not magnesium)

But....Tensors.

BMCsteve

« Reply #830 on: June 24, 2016, 09:13:05 AM »

But....Tensors.

:D  I'm willing to give them a shot if they're a ground up redesign.  The tensor Ten aluminum trucks are supposed to be really good.  They brought in a new guy to design those and he's working on the new ones as well. 

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #831 on: June 24, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »
...but think of the resale value BMC... no way you'll unload those on anyone when you try em out and aren't into em
hardly art, hardly starving

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #832 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »

But really, in that big box of trucks I bought, the tensors were the first to get sold.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #833 on: June 24, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
...but think of the resale value BMC... no way you'll unload those on anyone when you try em out and aren't into em

:D damn.....you make a very good point actually

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #834 on: June 24, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
If I rode tight trucks, I can't see how they'd be worse than any of the non-indy type trucks (Indy/Theeve/ACE/Krux) or the Venture/Thunders camps.

Honestly if Venture would make and 8.5 hollow v-light I'd be riding them.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #835 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »

But really, in that big box of trucks I bought, the tensors were the first to get sold.
Gnarz for dayz!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #836 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »

:D damn.....you make a very good point actually

ill take them off your hands if you ever wanna resell, i only had tensors once and they were pretty nice til the axle rubbed against some high crack in the streets and the nut and my wheel ran away, that really upset me cause i had the R2 magnesium and damn, the turning was eh but the flip ability and grind from magnesium was fa-nominal. but that axle problem got me so off them and i gave them away but i really wanna try another set of the lo tens, but hearing that theres a prototype in the works of a thunder copycat tensor i think ill wait  ;D

those magnesiums grind so smooth, and make the truck so light

what do you guys think of those new avenue suspension trucks? they look somewhat legit and i heard good reviews but idk the height throws me off cause i at max ride trucks highest 53mm anything higher i start struggling and those avenues look about the height of an indy standard

also forgot to mention the mini logo bolt placement on the baseplates is either similar to indys or royals, i cant say forsure which but i think it supposed to help shorten the wheel base so you get better flips and obviously easier to get your bolts on and tightened unlike thunder where the bolt placement is centered so you gotta angle your T tool for the top bolts
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #837 on: June 24, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
I say we pass them around to get the slap consensus.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #838 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »

wait how did you hear or see of this? i would like to take a glance ;)
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #839 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
I buy Indy's , tighten the front truck 2 times, back truck 3 times, then never touch them again.
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !