Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220715 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #810 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Can anyone give me some kind of a description on how Aces turn compared to stage 11 Indys and Krux?

I've got 149 stage 11s and 8.25" Krux'. Indys with Bones hards and Krux with Bones mediums. The Krux are kinda weird compared to the Indys. They turn really easily (medium vs. hard, so that's to be expected), but I won't get any wheelbite with them even if I try. The board will just stop turning steeper at one point and after that it'll go on two wheels instead of wheelbiting. I kinda prefer that with the Krux, but then again I do think the Indys feel better. I ride 54 mm wheels on both setups. 8.25" board. For some reason I'm very intrigued with the Aces.

Also, what Indy bushings would you guys recommend to someone that likes Bones hards and mediums, but would rather get something in between? Do the durometers go the same as in the Bones or not due to the different design? Hard blacks? Super hard yellows? or Medium hard blues? As ppl have been hyping aftermarket Indy bushings so much here over the Bones (which I've been quite happy with), I'm interested in trying them out.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #811 on: June 20, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
Can anyone give me some kind of a description on how Aces turn compared to stage 11 Indys and Krux?

I've got 149 stage 11s and 8.25" Krux'. Indys with Bones hards and Krux with Bones mediums. The Krux are kinda weird compared to the Indys. They turn really easily (medium vs. hard, so that's to be expected), but I won't get any wheelbite with them even if I try. The board will just stop turning steeper at one point and after that it'll go on two wheels instead of wheelbiting. I kinda prefer that with the Krux, but then again I do think the Indys feel better. I ride 54 mm wheels on both setups. 8.25" board. For some reason I'm very intrigued with the Aces.

Also, what Indy bushings would you guys recommend to someone that likes Bones hards and mediums, but would rather get something in between? Do the durometers go the same as in the Bones or not due to the different design? Hard blacks? Super hard yellows? or Medium hard blues? As ppl have been hyping aftermarket Indy bushings so much here over the Bones (which I've been quite happy with), I'm interested in trying them out.

I'm a big dude so Bones mediums tend to deform quickly. Never had that problem with hards and they still allow me to turn just fine. I've never tried Indy bushings but Steve will tell you all about how good they are. He knows his shit. The color of Indy bushings correlates to the hardness and it says right on the packaging.

I put bones in Aces without the bottom washer and it puts a lot of stress on the pivot because the bottom bushing is shorter than stock. Indy bushings won't work in Ace's because the bottom bushing is too tall. It's important to keep stock geometry. You can run Bones on your Aces without the bottom washer if you want but you'll make the shitty pivot cups blow out even quicker and they will be wobbly and unstable.

The turn of Ace's is snappier and more responsive than Indy but not by as much as its hyped up to be. Bones bushings in Ace's and Indy and the turn is very similar. I think of Ace now as just a Chinese version of an Indy stage III. Ace needs to improve their stock pivot and bushing quality to keep me as a customer. They fixed the bending issue, why not use better quality aluminum and urethane for the bushings? I've since gone back to Indy and I'm exploring other truck options. Ace isn't bad but still need to improve. Bottom line, they aren't going to turn significantly better than an Indy enough that you'll write home about.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #812 on: June 24, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »
Probably gonna sound like a bigger kook than everyone already thinks I am but people...
Mini-Logo trucks are actually pretty legit as some have said, I had to try a pair ever since reading that skateboarding is my life time review and it's like the guy said, they're really good trucks

I noticed some key features that made them up to par with the big boy truck brands,
-The hanger angle is like thunder hi(helps with the way it pops)
-The height is like venture lo(lower for more control)
-They actual have a turn very similar to thunder but with more carve rather than the quick sharp turn then center
-The nose/tail slide area of the baseplate extends so you don't get caught on a slide cause of wheels
-I'm very sure the bushings are basically a different mold of the bones mediums without cores

Idk guys, they turn very smooth and nice if you use a bones top without the washer
They feel like, you get the clean evened out straight pop of a thunder truck but when you land your not stuck centered or to have that quick wiggle of a turn but a controlled clean carvy turn after landing. Almost like indy's. Not as smooth carving away from landing with indy's but close.

I've had Indy standards and they're good with carvy turns and getting that emergency maneuvering for sloppy landings where your feet land awkardly and you can still lean any amount where you stand in the board and they'll turn but they always to me had such a soggy feeling pop if you rode them medium or loose. not snappy like thunders where you pop and just go straight up and forward and your there , indy's are like you drag your board up and forward to where you want it kind of feeling pops

Thunders always do me good and they have that quick jolty turn and clean feeling nice pop but they kinda lack that carve you love from indy's

That's where I feel mini logo trucks come in, they're a medium to those top 2 sellers
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #813 on: June 24, 2016, 07:12:11 AM »
I'm running ML trucks on one of my daughter's boards and I am always surprised how well they turn.

They're really low at 49mm so they might not be for everyone.

BMCsteve

« Reply #814 on: June 24, 2016, 07:22:18 AM »
Joey Brezenski was testing out some Tensor prototypes yesterday.  From what I could tell it looked like a mix of current tensors and thunders with more kingpin clearance than both. 

The current Tensor Tens are supposed to be really good.  If they improve upon that design I'll give them a shot (aluminum not magnesium)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: June 24, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
Joey Brezenski was testing out some Tensor prototypes yesterday.  From what I could tell it looked like a mix of current tensors and thunders with more kingpin clearance than both. 

The current Tensor Tens are supposed to be really good.  If they improve upon that design I'll give them a shot (aluminum not magnesium)

But....Tensors.

BMCsteve

« Reply #816 on: June 24, 2016, 09:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But....Tensors.

:D  I'm willing to give them a shot if they're a ground up redesign.  The tensor Ten aluminum trucks are supposed to be really good.  They brought in a new guy to design those and he's working on the new ones as well. 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #817 on: June 24, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »
...but think of the resale value BMC... no way you'll unload those on anyone when you try em out and aren't into em
hardly art, hardly starving

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »

But really, in that big box of trucks I bought, the tensors were the first to get sold.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
...but think of the resale value BMC... no way you'll unload those on anyone when you try em out and aren't into em

:D damn.....you make a very good point actually

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #820 on: June 24, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
If I rode tight trucks, I can't see how they'd be worse than any of the non-indy type trucks (Indy/Theeve/ACE/Krux) or the Venture/Thunders camps.

Honestly if Venture would make and 8.5 hollow v-light I'd be riding them.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #821 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »

But really, in that big box of trucks I bought, the tensors were the first to get sold.
Gnarz for dayz!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #822 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

:D damn.....you make a very good point actually

ill take them off your hands if you ever wanna resell, i only had tensors once and they were pretty nice til the axle rubbed against some high crack in the streets and the nut and my wheel ran away, that really upset me cause i had the R2 magnesium and damn, the turning was eh but the flip ability and grind from magnesium was fa-nominal. but that axle problem got me so off them and i gave them away but i really wanna try another set of the lo tens, but hearing that theres a prototype in the works of a thunder copycat tensor i think ill wait  ;D

those magnesiums grind so smooth, and make the truck so light

what do you guys think of those new avenue suspension trucks? they look somewhat legit and i heard good reviews but idk the height throws me off cause i at max ride trucks highest 53mm anything higher i start struggling and those avenues look about the height of an indy standard

also forgot to mention the mini logo bolt placement on the baseplates is either similar to indys or royals, i cant say forsure which but i think it supposed to help shorten the wheel base so you get better flips and obviously easier to get your bolts on and tightened unlike thunder where the bolt placement is centered so you gotta angle your T tool for the top bolts
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: June 24, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
I say we pass them around to get the slap consensus.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #824 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »

wait how did you hear or see of this? i would like to take a glance ;)
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #825 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
I buy Indy's , tighten the front truck 2 times, back truck 3 times, then never touch them again.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #826 on: June 26, 2016, 05:07:31 AM »
update on the mini logo trucks if anyone cares

the baseplate shape how its hollowed out inside around the kingpin and pivot area actually makes them significantly lighter, crazy as it is lighter than thunder 147 hi standards and thunder lights, maybe the same weight as hollow lights or ti lights. but bottom point the hollowed out baseplate and i think hangar shape actually make the truck pretty light but not stupid light. the perfect light weight that helps you feel your board still and flip it without losing a breath.

the extended shape of the baseplate so your wheels dont make contact for nose and tail slides actually helps, did a couple of noseslides and damn they slid easy and controlled. very beautful. just wow this is a pricepoint truck? they slid smooth

they are as i mentioned before very similar to thunders, they respond very quick and nice like thunders on the turn and all but dont have that kinda creeky mushed turn thunder has at times when the bushings are acting up. the mini logos work best with either a bones medium top no washer and the stock bottom or better yet for the best turn and repsonse just swap to bones mediums with your choice of top washer or not(i kept it on so i can keep it flush and not grind down the threads) and they are really really nice, like a quicker more turny thunder

sorry i keep mentioning thunders but its just cause besides indys being a top seller, thunders are used the most in the street skating scene. if you look at all the best street skaters most of them ride thunders. even the people who arent sponsored by thunder ride them. i noticed youness is riding thunder hangars on venture baseplates, koston off indy and rides thunders, chaz ortiz rides thunders, nyjah rides thunders, andrew brophy and ben fisher, cory kennedy, all these guys arent on the team but they ride them cause thunders are the best street skating trucks. all the best guys are on thunders too. chris cole, ishod, busenitz, shane oneil, tom asta, most of the REAL team, frank gerwer, chris pfanner, the chief, miles silvas, nakel, bryan herman, ed templeton, billy marks, marc johnson, sean malto, the list goes on.
yes

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #827 on: June 26, 2016, 06:08:13 AM »
As an added bonus, if you wanna pound out the kingpin to do the krux downlow mod, then the mini logo trucks are the easiest kingpin to pound out. Also, you can fit in a small wrench to better tighten your trucks after performing the kingpin modification.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #828 on: June 26, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
Yeah, my friend has a set and I like how they turn.....Powell may have some stuff you may not like preference wise but quality is usually good...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #829 on: June 27, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
Bought some white Thunder 90 bushings for my 149 II's out of curiosity, namely people on here saying they're better than the stock ones despite being the same durometer. I was probably just having an "on night" but I have to say I really like them.  Coming from riding Indy 149 Ti's I really don't miss anything with the Thunder 149 II's with stock or aftermarket bushings. 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #830 on: June 27, 2016, 08:16:14 PM »
Bought some white Thunder 90 bushings for my 149 II's out of curiosity, namely people on here saying they're better than the stock ones despite being the same durometer. I was probably just having an "on night" but I have to say I really like them.  Coming from riding Indy 149 Ti's I really don't miss anything with the Thunder 149 II's with stock or aftermarket bushings. 

im telling yall, solid color anything urethane only makes sense. thats why most bushings arent made clear. indy bushings, krux bushings, bones, ace, everyone but thunder standards and venture standards. cause if you notice too on the more premium thunder/venture trucks/painted/hollow/light they put the better white bushings compared to the standard solid thunder or venture that have the clear yellow or blue bushing/red for venture

the clear bushings are still good, nothing wrong with them at all, but if you want more consistent bushings thatll last longer , solid color bushings are always the best choice. i noticed it comparing my clear yellow thunder bushings with my black and white set of thunder bushings, both the black set and white set have better rebound and response compared to the yellow
yes

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #831 on: June 27, 2016, 11:58:47 PM »
I'm really liking Ace 44's. I'm keeping the bushings stock, they're breaking in nicely.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #832 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
I'm really liking Ace 44's. I'm keeping the bushings stock, they're breaking in nicely.
Word. I decided too switch back to the stock bushings for a little while and they are definitely really nice once broken in. The bushings in the newer trucks must be better than the old ones because I can't see anything about them worth complaining about. Or else I just don't give a shit about anything. Which could easily be it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: June 28, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Word. I decided too switch back to the stock bushings for a little while and they are definitely really nice once broken in. The bushings in the newer trucks must be better than the old ones because I can't see anything about them worth complaining about. Or else I just don't give a shit about anything. Which could easily be it.

The newer bushings are much better, though I still prefer krux or indy conical reds in mine.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #834 on: June 29, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
i just got a set of indys that are as wide as my thunders 149 but are slightly higher and that pisses me off. so i went to have a look for truck sizing charts and came across this beaut
does anyone know if this is a photoshop job or is it for real and if its for real, who the fuck rides this shit?
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #835 on: June 29, 2016, 03:13:59 AM »
^it's real, what a waste of metal
longboard shit
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:20:47 AM by the snake »

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #836 on: June 29, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The newer bushings are much better, though I still prefer krux or indy conical reds in mine.
So you're saying I might still give a shit. There's a chance for me!

I love duh krux though.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #837 on: June 29, 2016, 07:24:49 AM »
i just got a set of indys that are as wide as my thunders 149 but are slightly higher and that pisses me off. so i went to have a look for truck sizing charts and came across this beaut
does anyone know if this is a photoshop job or is it for real and if its for real, who the fuck rides this shit?
It is a real thing, my friend just cruises and has a pair of these.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #838 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:45 PM »
hahaha im pretty sure they are not very good for tailslides/noseslides because the wheels are going to be touching the side of the ledge too much
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #839 on: June 29, 2016, 11:22:25 PM »
hahaha im pretty sure they are not very good for tailslides/noseslides because the wheels are going to be touching the side of the ledge too much