Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220774 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #840 on: June 30, 2016, 11:53:42 PM »
Got bored and messed around with some extra truck gear today. I noticed when I took the hanger off the set of Ace's I had that sounded really dead, the kingpin moved around a bit. Needless to say I found the culprit. I know using Bones bushings without a bottom washer and having wobbly ass trucks probably added to more stress on the kingpin, but even when they were stock and brand new they didn't sound right, therefore I'm calling it a defective set. I'm too broke to pay for shipping and send them to Ace though haha.

I have another set, and I found a trick to maintain the stock geometry while still having a nice wobble. The washers that come with Bones bushings, putting two of them under each bottom bushing gets it even with an Ace bushing and the stock washer. Bones' top bushing is actually taller than an Ace top, so I'm going to omit the top washer protecting the Bones bushing and see how it goes.

Main

« Reply #841 on: July 08, 2016, 10:00:39 AM »
Not sure if Indy pivot cups work in Ace, but from what I've read on here it seems like Khiro is a way more quality product if you're going to spend money on aftermarket cups, so I would just get those.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #842 on: July 08, 2016, 10:15:27 AM »
Indy/Thunder/Theeve/Khiro pivot cups are al interchangeable.

Theeve ships with cups on par with Khiro softs.

Thunder ships with hard ass cups, indy and ace are a bit softer. whatever.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:54:07 PM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #843 on: July 08, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Bmcsteve brought me back some khiros from socal and I couldn't get them in a forged Indy baseplate. They were a hair too wide and I couldn't jam them in. Had to go buy some Indy pivot cups.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #844 on: July 08, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »
Bmcsteve brought me back some khiros from socal and I couldn't get them in a forged Indy baseplate. They were a hair too wide and I couldn't jam them in. Had to go buy some Indy pivot cups.

Even if you did jam them in, they would stick up above the baseplate as they're easily 1/8" taller, if not more than regular pivot cups!

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #845 on: July 08, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

I had that issue with khiro soft pivot cups in just regular indys. they stuck out a lot, but they worked

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #846 on: July 08, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had that issue with khiro soft pivot cups in just regular indys. they stuck out a lot, but they worked

Yeah, they stick up a few mm, hardly noticeable in use (on forged plates anyway); they fit flush in ACEs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #847 on: July 09, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
What's the deal w. the new ace axel nuts?

Main

« Reply #848 on: July 09, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »

I want some. I see random pictures of skate shops that have them on their trucks as if they came stock. But apparently Ace is selling them separately? I don't know...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #849 on: July 09, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I want some. I see random pictures of skate shops that have them on their trucks as if they came stock. But apparently Ace is selling them separately? I don't know...

Could you post a pic? I haven't seen them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #850 on: July 09, 2016, 12:12:42 PM »
Why do you want them?  Lighter? 

Main

« Reply #851 on: July 09, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/-S00hshjtR/

I just want 'em cause they look cool.

Main

« Reply #852 on: July 09, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
Where'd you get them at? My local shops have the newer redesigns but no 3/8 specials.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #853 on: July 09, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »
Purpose?  I could see a nut w. A built in speed ring to push up against the race....

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #854 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »
I know there was a thread on these a year or 2 ago, but I was wondering what some playa pimps think about it now:

Riders talk about testing Avenue Suspension Trucks

My only worry about them (besides being teased, skater's trying to give me a johhny or worse... an Indian burn!) would be transitioning comfortably back to normal trucks afterwards. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: July 10, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Where'd you get them at? My local shops have the newer redesigns but no 3/8 specials.
[close]

A shop in Melbourne, so they should be widely available in the US if I can get them in Australia. Maybe ask Socal?

Expand Quote
Purpose?  I could see a nut w. A built in speed ring to push up against the race....
[close]

No idea, but I'm digging the thicker speed rings that come with Ace. I stacked two Ace speed rings on the inside and put a thinner Indy one on the outside. There's less space for the wheels to move when the axle nuts are flush compared to what I had with Indies. With Indies, 3 rings on the inside didn't work, and two on the inside created more space when trying to get the nuts flush.

I remember 'speed rings' which were really small and convex....never really understood why but I get it now, to limit the contact w. The bearing. 

Main

« Reply #856 on: July 10, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
The 3/8 special nuts protect the axle from being dethreaded I'm pretty sure.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #857 on: July 10, 2016, 10:20:04 AM »
so...139's or 149's on a 8.25 ?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #858 on: July 10, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »
I'd go 139s BUT it doesn't really matter. I'd base it off of if you plan on sizing up or down in the near future.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #859 on: July 10, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »

149, it will be so much better.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #860 on: July 10, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
149s. More stable IMO but it's all personal preference.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: July 10, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
149....axel is 8.5 inches no?  I just assumed if you're in this thread you'd care if your nuts stuck out.....

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #862 on: July 10, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
like bmc steve said before, its about flipability vs stability, 139 for flips and 149 for the stable ride
yes

swag nollies

« Reply #863 on: July 10, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »
Still rocking my venture 5.0 lows on a 8.25 deck. The bushings are dust but I cant take the nut off to change them, probly 8-9 years old. My favorite trucks and I dont want to get new ones, so used to them and can predict how therye gonna act.

ZEBRA

« Reply #864 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
I know there was a thread on these a year or 2 ago, but I was wondering what some playa pimps think about it now:

My only worry about them (besides being teased, skater's trying to give me a johhny or worse... an Indian burn!) would be transitioning comfortably back to normal trucks afterwards. 

I haven't met anyone that has skated them that actually knows what they're talking about, so I have no real info on them. I don't do any drops or stairs or anything, so not sure if they would actually do anything for me. I'm a bigger guy. 5'7" on a good day, 200lbs.

I'm super interested in them though. If I'm ever able to, I'm definitely down to try a set.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #865 on: July 11, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't met anyone that has skated them that actually knows what they're talking about, so I have no real info on them. I don't do any drops or stairs or anything, so not sure if they would actually do anything for me. I'm a bigger guy. 5'7" on a good day, 200lbs.

I'm super interested in them though. If I'm ever able to, I'm definitely down to try a set.

You can pre-order them but they're around 70 a pair, might as well get titanium trucks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #866 on: July 11, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

from what ive seen online they just have a different pivoting turn cause of the way the baseplate is and that the tradtional T tool doesnt work for the back bolts. the turn is smoother supposedly, like less effort to turn
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #867 on: July 11, 2016, 01:42:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
149s. More stable IMO but it's all personal preference.

if you  are talking about thunder trucks then its not personal preference. 149 is for 8.25 and over. if you use 139m on a 8.25 board the trucks are too narrow for that board and it just looks daft like a kid's board and its generally weird to lock into grinds and to skate (should be rad for pressure flips though). if you cant afford a new set of trucks then fair play.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Main

« Reply #868 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
I take back anything bad I've said about Mini Logo trucks. Avenue trucks gave me cancer.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #869 on: July 11, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »
149s will be the next trucks i buy, but first shoes and tires, fucking wisdom !