Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 295276 times)

clamy

• Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #870 on: July 10, 2016, 02:39:58 AM »
Where'd you get them at? My local shops have the newer redesigns but no 3/8 specials.

A shop in Melbourne, so they should be widely available in the US if I can get them in Australia. Maybe ask Socal?

Purpose?  I could see a nut w. A built in speed ring to push up against the race....

No idea, but I'm digging the thicker speed rings that come with Ace. I stacked two Ace speed rings on the inside and put a thinner Indy one on the outside. There's less space for the wheels to move when the axle nuts are flush compared to what I had with Indies. With Indies, 3 rings on the inside didn't work, and two on the inside created more space when trying to get the nuts flush.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:42:41 AM by clamy »

franquietits

• Rep: 34
« Reply #871 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »
I know there was a thread on these a year or 2 ago, but I was wondering what some playa pimps think about it now:

My only worry about them (besides being teased, skater's trying to give me a johhny or worse... an Indian burn!) would be transitioning comfortably back to normal trucks afterwards. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #872 on: July 10, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »
Where'd you get them at? My local shops have the newer redesigns but no 3/8 specials.

A shop in Melbourne, so they should be widely available in the US if I can get them in Australia. Maybe ask Socal?

Purpose?  I could see a nut w. A built in speed ring to push up against the race....

No idea, but I'm digging the thicker speed rings that come with Ace. I stacked two Ace speed rings on the inside and put a thinner Indy one on the outside. There's less space for the wheels to move when the axle nuts are flush compared to what I had with Indies. With Indies, 3 rings on the inside didn't work, and two on the inside created more space when trying to get the nuts flush.

I remember 'speed rings' which were really small and convex....never really understood why but I get it now, to limit the contact w. The bearing. 

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #873 on: July 10, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
The 3/8 special nuts protect the axle from being dethreaded I'm pretty sure.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #874 on: July 10, 2016, 10:20:04 AM »
so...139's or 149's on a 8.25 ?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #875 on: July 10, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »
I'd go 139s BUT it doesn't really matter. I'd base it off of if you plan on sizing up or down in the near future.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #876 on: July 10, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »

149, it will be so much better.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -2
« Reply #877 on: July 10, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
149s. More stable IMO but it's all personal preference.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #878 on: July 10, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
149....axel is 8.5 inches no?  I just assumed if you're in this thread you'd care if your nuts stuck out.....

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #879 on: July 10, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
like bmc steve said before, its about flipability vs stability, 139 for flips and 149 for the stable ride
yes

swag nollies

« Reply #880 on: July 10, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »
Still rocking my venture 5.0 lows on a 8.25 deck. The bushings are dust but I cant take the nut off to change them, probly 8-9 years old. My favorite trucks and I dont want to get new ones, so used to them and can predict how therye gonna act.

ZEBRA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #881 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
I know there was a thread on these a year or 2 ago, but I was wondering what some playa pimps think about it now:

My only worry about them (besides being teased, skater's trying to give me a johhny or worse... an Indian burn!) would be transitioning comfortably back to normal trucks afterwards. 

I haven't met anyone that has skated them that actually knows what they're talking about, so I have no real info on them. I don't do any drops or stairs or anything, so not sure if they would actually do anything for me. I'm a bigger guy. 5'7" on a good day, 200lbs.

I'm super interested in them though. If I'm ever able to, I'm definitely down to try a set.
Shopping at Zumiez.....

Look motherfuck, I just want to buy my "Purple Drank" shirt and get the fuck out so I can get home in time to steal some Virginia Slims from my mom before she gets home from work.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #882 on: July 11, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »

I haven't met anyone that has skated them that actually knows what they're talking about, so I have no real info on them. I don't do any drops or stairs or anything, so not sure if they would actually do anything for me. I'm a bigger guy. 5'7" on a good day, 200lbs.

I'm super interested in them though. If I'm ever able to, I'm definitely down to try a set.

You can pre-order them but they're around 70 a pair, might as well get titanium trucks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #883 on: July 11, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »

from what ive seen online they just have a different pivoting turn cause of the way the baseplate is and that the tradtional T tool doesnt work for the back bolts. the turn is smoother supposedly, like less effort to turn
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #884 on: July 11, 2016, 01:42:36 AM »
149s. More stable IMO but it's all personal preference.

if you  are talking about thunder trucks then its not personal preference. 149 is for 8.25 and over. if you use 139m on a 8.25 board the trucks are too narrow for that board and it just looks daft like a kid's board and its generally weird to lock into grinds and to skate (should be rad for pressure flips though). if you cant afford a new set of trucks then fair play.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

Main

« Reply #885 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
I take back anything bad I've said about Mini Logo trucks. Avenue trucks gave me cancer.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #886 on: July 11, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »
149s will be the next trucks i buy, but first shoes and tires, fucking wisdom !

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #887 on: July 11, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »
what's the change from 139s to 149s like? is the difference in weight noticeable?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: July 11, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
do the math stuff for us, steve ^^
hollow included please

BMCsteve

« Reply #889 on: July 11, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
what's the change from 139s to 149s like? is the difference in weight noticeable?

Ha! I feel like I know most of this stuff off the top of my head at this point.  It's taking the place of other information in my brain like my wife's birth date.

The difference in weight between 139s and 149s is overall pretty small.  You're looking at 15-20g per truck depending on the model. 

There is a bigger weight difference going from standard to say titanium.  For example, 149 Titaniums are 340g. 139 Standards are 376g. 

If moving up to 149s in the same model you wont notice the weight difference but you will notice that it's slightly more difficult to flip your board (less leverage) but you'll have more stability.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #890 on: July 11, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »

Ha! I feel like I know most of this stuff off the top of my head at this point.  It's taking the place of other information in my brain like my wife's birth date.

The difference in weight between 139s and 149s is overall pretty small.  You're looking at 15-20g per truck depending on the model. 

There is a bigger weight difference going from standard to say titanium.  For example, 149 Titaniums are 340g. 139 Standards are 376g. 

If moving up to 149s in the same model you wont notice the weight difference but you will notice that it's slightly more difficult to flip your board (less leverage) but you'll have more stability.

Damnit, Steve, you forgot Hollows.  ::)

BMCsteve

« Reply #891 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »

Damnit, Steve, you forgot Hollows.  ::)

You know how I roll, titanium only  ;D

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #892 on: July 13, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »
So I know the forged Thunder 149 plates are slightly lower than the regular team plates, but does that apply to the 147's too?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #893 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
So I know the forged Thunder 149 plates are slightly lower than the regular team plates, but does that apply to the 147's too?
Yes. Just assume, regardless of company, that the forged bp trucks are a mm or 2 lower.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #894 on: July 13, 2016, 08:58:48 AM »
I'm back on wobbly ass Ace's again. I just use the smaller truck washer underneath the bottom Bones to keep it seated somewhat properly, even though it slides all up and down that kingpin haha. No top washer this time around. Now this is the ultimate sweet spot, the bottom washer keeps it just slightly more stable while still having that wobble. No wheelbite and best turn on the planet.

N.L.

« Reply #895 on: July 13, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Just put my THUNDER 151s back on my setup to take a break from Ace 44s and to compare the two. Things I've noticed: the timing on my pop is a little off but the wider trucks feel so much better on slappies (grinds  'feel' nicer also) and weirdly even though my timing is off I landed my first 360 flip in months. The Thunders are with stock bushings and feel much more  stiff and stable but you still get that super responsive turn when needed. Bombed a hill and felt more secure on the Thunders. Both solid trucks. I can't commit to one brand even if it fucks up my consistency but going to ride the 151s until they're dead as they are already at axle.

Main

« Reply #896 on: July 13, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
Just put my THUNDER 151s back on my setup to take a break from Ace 44s and to compare the two. Things I've noticed: the timing on my pop is a little off but the wider trucks feel so much better on slappies (grinds  'feel' nicer also) and weirdly even though my timing is off I landed my first 360 flip in months. The Thunders are with stock bushings and feel much more  stiff and stable but you still get that super responsive turn when needed. Bombed a hill and felt more secure on the Thunders. Both solid trucks. I can't commit to one brand even if it fucks up my consistency but going to ride the 151s until they're dead as they are already at axle.

I feel your pain....at least we have each other to make it through this bro <3

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
« Reply #897 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »
Anyone else notice that dull sounding ride, that i've about on here from aces, I wanna try them, but love my thunders and that dull sound, sounds terrible

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #898 on: July 13, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
Anyone else notice that dull sounding ride, that i've about on here from aces, I wanna try them, but love my thunders and that dull sound, sounds terrible

Sort of. The 44's I got from Nallid are already bent just as much as the Thunders I skated for 10 months. They feel fine though. I'll probably be back to Independents after the Aces are done.

Main

« Reply #899 on: July 13, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
This new set of Ace's I have didn't sound dull when everything was stock. But now that I'm riding 'em with Bones bushings and only a bottom washer, it sounds dull again. I think it's just cause of the whole wobble thing, if I put the stock bushings and both washers back on it would probably go back to sounding normal.