Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220871 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #870 on: July 11, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »
what's the change from 139s to 149s like? is the difference in weight noticeable?

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #871 on: July 11, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
do the math stuff for us, steve ^^
hollow included please

BMCsteve

« Reply #872 on: July 11, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
what's the change from 139s to 149s like? is the difference in weight noticeable?

Ha! I feel like I know most of this stuff off the top of my head at this point.  It's taking the place of other information in my brain like my wife's birth date.

The difference in weight between 139s and 149s is overall pretty small.  You're looking at 15-20g per truck depending on the model. 

There is a bigger weight difference going from standard to say titanium.  For example, 149 Titaniums are 340g. 139 Standards are 376g. 

If moving up to 149s in the same model you wont notice the weight difference but you will notice that it's slightly more difficult to flip your board (less leverage) but you'll have more stability.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #873 on: July 11, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha! I feel like I know most of this stuff off the top of my head at this point.  It's taking the place of other information in my brain like my wife's birth date.

The difference in weight between 139s and 149s is overall pretty small.  You're looking at 15-20g per truck depending on the model. 

There is a bigger weight difference going from standard to say titanium.  For example, 149 Titaniums are 340g. 139 Standards are 376g. 

If moving up to 149s in the same model you wont notice the weight difference but you will notice that it's slightly more difficult to flip your board (less leverage) but you'll have more stability.

Damnit, Steve, you forgot Hollows.  ::)

BMCsteve

« Reply #874 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damnit, Steve, you forgot Hollows.  ::)

You know how I roll, titanium only  ;D

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #875 on: July 13, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »
So I know the forged Thunder 149 plates are slightly lower than the regular team plates, but does that apply to the 147's too?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #876 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
So I know the forged Thunder 149 plates are slightly lower than the regular team plates, but does that apply to the 147's too?
Yes. Just assume, regardless of company, that the forged bp trucks are a mm or 2 lower.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #877 on: July 13, 2016, 08:58:48 AM »
I'm back on wobbly ass Ace's again. I just use the smaller truck washer underneath the bottom Bones to keep it seated somewhat properly, even though it slides all up and down that kingpin haha. No top washer this time around. Now this is the ultimate sweet spot, the bottom washer keeps it just slightly more stable while still having that wobble. No wheelbite and best turn on the planet.

N.L.

« Reply #878 on: July 13, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Just put my THUNDER 151s back on my setup to take a break from Ace 44s and to compare the two. Things I've noticed: the timing on my pop is a little off but the wider trucks feel so much better on slappies (grinds  'feel' nicer also) and weirdly even though my timing is off I landed my first 360 flip in months. The Thunders are with stock bushings and feel much more  stiff and stable but you still get that super responsive turn when needed. Bombed a hill and felt more secure on the Thunders. Both solid trucks. I can't commit to one brand even if it fucks up my consistency but going to ride the 151s until they're dead as they are already at axle.

Main

« Reply #879 on: July 13, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
Just put my THUNDER 151s back on my setup to take a break from Ace 44s and to compare the two. Things I've noticed: the timing on my pop is a little off but the wider trucks feel so much better on slappies (grinds  'feel' nicer also) and weirdly even though my timing is off I landed my first 360 flip in months. The Thunders are with stock bushings and feel much more  stiff and stable but you still get that super responsive turn when needed. Bombed a hill and felt more secure on the Thunders. Both solid trucks. I can't commit to one brand even if it fucks up my consistency but going to ride the 151s until they're dead as they are already at axle.

I feel your pain....at least we have each other to make it through this bro <3

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #880 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »
Anyone else notice that dull sounding ride, that i've about on here from aces, I wanna try them, but love my thunders and that dull sound, sounds terrible

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #881 on: July 13, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
Anyone else notice that dull sounding ride, that i've about on here from aces, I wanna try them, but love my thunders and that dull sound, sounds terrible

Sort of. The 44's I got from Nallid are already bent just as much as the Thunders I skated for 10 months. They feel fine though. I'll probably be back to Independents after the Aces are done.

Main

« Reply #882 on: July 13, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
This new set of Ace's I have didn't sound dull when everything was stock. But now that I'm riding 'em with Bones bushings and only a bottom washer, it sounds dull again. I think it's just cause of the whole wobble thing, if I put the stock bushings and both washers back on it would probably go back to sounding normal.

Main

« Reply #883 on: July 14, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
Check your kingpin and see if it's loose, that was the culprit with my last set of Ace's. I don't know why it would sound dull otherwise.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #884 on: July 14, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »
The dullness could be engineered right into the truck to counter all the unnecessary hype.....

epiclystellar

• Rep: 2
« Reply #885 on: July 14, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Anybody have a pic of Indy 159 next to Ace 55 and possibly even Indy 149 and Ace 44. All in a row so you can see the size difference. Skated Indy 149 forever and recently switched to Ace 44 with Krux DL kingpin with Ace bottom bushing and Krux top bushing and love everything about them but would prefer to go a little wider so just want to see the how the size difference looks.

I haven't put a Krux DL kingpin in Indys yet so whats the preferred bushing combination on Indys with a Krux DL kingpin?

Main

« Reply #886 on: July 14, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Anybody have a pic of Indy 159 next to Ace 55 and possibly even Indy 149 and Ace 44. All in a row so you can see the size difference. Skated Indy 149 forever and recently switched to Ace 44 with Krux DL kingpin with Ace bottom bushing and Krux top bushing and love everything about them but would prefer to go a little wider so just want to see the how the size difference looks.

I haven't put a Krux DL kingpin in Indys yet so whats the preferred bushing combination on Indys with a Krux DL kingpin?

Ace 44's are 8.38"
Indy 149's are 8.5"

Ace 55's are 8.875"
Indy 159's are 8.75"

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #887 on: July 15, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
Theeves or thunders... I need a break from Indy right now. I'll probabaly back to them within a few months

BMCsteve

« Reply #888 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
Theeves or thunders... I need a break from Indy right now. I'll probabaly back to them within a few months

I've said it a few times but Theeve are the best trucks I've ever skated.  I had issues with the kingpings becoming loose in 2 sets in a row and got soured by them but I'm thinking of going back.  Could have been a bad production run but they're the best turning and most stable truck on the planet

Main

« Reply #889 on: July 15, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've said it a few times but Theeve are the best trucks I've ever skated.  I had issues with the kingpings becoming loose in 2 sets in a row and got soured by them but I'm thinking of going back.  Could have been a bad production run but they're the best turning and most stable truck on the planet

I'd still like to know why all the big names on their team left for Indy. Ben Raybourn used to sell the Theeves they gave him to buy Indy's so they kicked him off haha. I wonder if it was during the time production issues were present?

BMCsteve

« Reply #890 on: July 15, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd still like to know why all the big names on their team left for Indy. Ben Raybourn used to sell the Theeves they gave him to buy Indy's so they kicked him off haha. I wonder if it was during the time production issues were present?

That's probably the case.  Their V1 and V2 models were plagued by bulging bushings after just a couple sessions.  Those were resolved with the V3 models.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #891 on: July 15, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »
Steve - What model were you skating? The TiAX v3? It's interesting they come stock with Bones bushings.

BMCsteve

« Reply #892 on: July 15, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
Steve - What model were you skating? The TiAX v3? It's interesting they come stock with Bones bushings.

I was skating the TiKings.  They had a titanium axle and a hollow titanium kingpin.  They are pretty much impossible to find now.  I think they stopped making the kingpins.  There might not be an issue with the TiAx - titanium axle/steel kingpin.

I hate using bones bushings in Indy and other trucks.  they just never seem to fit quite right for me and squish out after a couple months.  Theeve however designed their trucks around bones bushings so they fit perfectly and last forever in them.

More interesting is that after a 2 year hiatus they now have the TiHanger trucks back in stock.  Solid one piece titanium hanger with the axle machined from the hanger.  No axle, no chance for it to slip.  Also, they are the lightest truck on the planet.  even lighter than tensor magnesium

http://shop.surplusskate.com/collections/theeve/products/tihanger-raw-raw

I'm on a bit more of a budget so I haven't thrown down the $150 for them......yet

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #893 on: July 15, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was skating the TiKings.  They had a titanium axle and a hollow titanium kingpin.  They are pretty much impossible to find now.  I think they stopped making the kingpins.  There might not be an issue with the TiAx - titanium axle/steel kingpin.

I hate using bones bushings in Indy and other trucks.  they just never seem to fit quite right for me and squish out after a couple months.  Theeve however designed their trucks around bones bushings so they fit perfectly and last forever in them.

More interesting is that after a 2 year hiatus they now have the TiHanger trucks back in stock.  Solid one piece titanium hanger with the axle machined from the hanger.  No axle, no chance for it to slip.  Also, they are the lightest truck on the planet.  even lighter than tensor magnesium

http://shop.surplusskate.com/collections/theeve/products/tihanger-raw-raw

I'm on a bit more of a budget so I haven't thrown down the $150 for them......yet

WHOA! $150! I've personally never skated Theeve but I've heard a lot of people rave about them over the years. I saw those TiKings on the Theeve webshop.

I've actually never used Bones bushings. I got turned onto Khiro conicals with the metal insert a few years ago and haven't used anything else since.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:08:46 PM by heritage »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #894 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
ive never had a set of bones meds squish on me... don't think I skate em tight enough to do it... arguably also may not be tight enough to get any benefit from them.

I will say, I tried out some after marker Indy bushings during the one time ive rolled around while nursing my ankle, and they were rad.  might have to give em a go for real when I'm back actually skating again.  seemed like a softer, but bouncy back, type of turn. that's my technical description. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Main

« Reply #895 on: July 15, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
TiKing's are still being made: http://www.theevetrucks.com/product/Theeve-TiKing-Raw-Trucks

I've found the secret to Bones...just get hards. I don't have to worry about a break in period because I weigh 210lbs, but for others just tough it out and they will last pretty much forever once broken in. The mediums get squished eventually in pretty much every truck besides Theeve.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #896 on: July 15, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
It took 2 years for the orc smiths to forge those in the fires on Mt. Doom. $150 is ridiculous though.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #897 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
TiKing's are still being made: http://www.theevetrucks.com/product/Theeve-TiKing-Raw-Trucks

I've found the secret to Bones...just get hards. I don't have to worry about a break in period because I weigh 210lbs, but for others just tough it out and they will last pretty much forever once broken in. The mediums get squished eventually in pretty much every truck besides Theeve.

I swear, these were not on the site a week ago.  Just hit up my contact at their distribution office and if they have them in US, I'm going to swing by their office tomorrow and grab some

Main

« Reply #898 on: July 15, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I swear, these were not on the site a week ago.  Just hit up my contact at their distribution office and if they have them in US, I'm going to swing by their office tomorrow and grab some

Keep us posted on how they work out man!

N.L.

« Reply #899 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »
I might be stuck in my ways but I can't bring myself to ever deviate from Indy, Thunder or Ace.... maybe Krux.

Truck Wars!