Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220820 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
I might be stuck in my ways but I can't bring myself to ever deviate from Indy, Thunder or Ace.... maybe Krux.

Truck Wars!
Aren't they called Theeve because they used designs from other brands and brought them together? At least that's what I heard or believe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #901 on: July 15, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote
I might be stuck in my ways but I can't bring myself to ever deviate from Indy, Thunder or Ace.... maybe Krux.

Truck Wars!
[close]
Aren't they called Theeve because they used designs from other brands and brought them together? At least that's what I heard or believe.

Yeah, they're basically an Indy Stage 7 maybe slightly different.

baravettski

• Rep: 41
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #902 on: July 15, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
I'm back on wobbly ass Ace's again. I just use the smaller truck washer underneath the bottom Bones to keep it seated somewhat properly, even though it slides all up and down that kingpin haha. No top washer this time around. Now this is the ultimate sweet spot, the bottom washer keeps it just slightly more stable while still having that wobble. No wheelbite and best turn on the planet.

I think I'm ready to give some Aces a try. Always back and forth between Thunder and Indy, I think I've been on Indy for about the last 3 years or so, but I have another homie that swears up and down that Ace are the best. I pretty much always ride 139's even with big boards, 149 always felt too wide so maybe those 44s will be the jam.

Main

« Reply #903 on: July 15, 2016, 10:11:29 PM »
I think I'm ready to give some Aces a try. Always back and forth between Thunder and Indy, I think I've been on Indy for about the last 3 years or so, but I have another homie that swears up and down that Ace are the best. I pretty much always ride 139's even with big boards, 149 always felt too wide so maybe those 44s will be the jam.

I think they'll work perfect for you man. They're all around fun fuckin' trucks that really stand out from the rest.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #904 on: July 16, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
woah, theeves you say. i remember getting a set and they were so nice.

so stable but i had the V2 and i remember that problem with the bushings popping out and then the kingpin getting loose and wobbly(which was odd cause the guy who started theeve said on the berrics trajectory video on theeve that he quit indy to start theeve cause of the baseplate/kingpin and look at that).

for a 55mm hi truck i actually liked them cause they didnt feel the tallness they were. they felt really proper. got the warranty and got the v3 lows and they are good but the grind clearance is bad cause theyre lows(compared to indy lows, venture lo and thunder lows) but overall they are a nice set of trucks.

oh but theeve also have a sorta odd feeling base plate to board feel kind of casting compared to standard gravity cast trucks. like thunder or indy feel really solid and firm but theeves are like light and solid feeling on the deck.
yes

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #905 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »
first session on 149mm (put my actual bushings on them to avoid the brand new shit breakin) on a 8.25, holy shit that's perfect, should have made the jump 2 years ago ! thank you Slap !

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #906 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
now I want 149's again....

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #907 on: July 18, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
first session on 149mm (put my actual bushings on them to avoid the brand new shit breakin) on a 8.25, holy shit that's perfect, should have made the jump 2 years ago ! thank you Slap !

truly is the magic number
hardly art, hardly starving

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #908 on: July 18, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »
now I want 149's again....
dat stability on landings bro...and my flip tricks are more powerfull too, love them ^^

Main

« Reply #909 on: July 18, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
Anyone here ever try the Ace magnesium baseplates? How much lighter was your setup?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #910 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »
Aw man....so we're back to theeves? 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #911 on: July 19, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »
Ahah is that a bummed aw man or a nostalgic aw man?

Theeves were actually pretty decent to me for a hi truck, I guess cause of how light they were or maybe the geometry I didn't get that lag I get from Indy stage 11 standards on the pop.

I wanna try a set of those v3 highs cause I had the v2 and the Indy bushing swap worked for a moment but eventually the v2 bushing pop out persisted and just happened and it bugged me even though it probably didn't hurt my turning or anything much

I have the v3 lows and they're good but the grind clearance like I mentioned before really throws me off
yes

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #912 on: July 19, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
whats up this lag you all talking about ? The time it takes to reach the ground ?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #913 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »
added a third inside washer to my 147 axles and its made a huge difference in stability, especially with the slightly wider than 8.25 board im riding now, 3 really is the magic number, yes it is.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #914 on: July 19, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
Theeves have the best turn because of their oval yoke imo

Main

« Reply #915 on: July 19, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
I'm fuckin' pissed. Second set of Ace's in a row where my kingpins are loose. Just started getting the perfect groove in my back truck, too. Is this going to happen with any truck I ride wobbly loose?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #916 on: July 19, 2016, 02:36:12 PM »
I kind of miss riding theeve (TiKings), at the time, they were lighter than indy, a mid truck and had a faster feel to them (like Thunders). If it wasn't for the baseplate issues (I ride really loose and the pivot cup area would end up enlarging causing daewobble).

Was always waiting for them to release a forged plate to get them down to thunder height.

BMCsteve

« Reply #917 on: July 19, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I'm fuckin' pissed. Second set of Ace's in a row where my kingpins are loose. Just started getting the perfect groove in my back truck, too. Is this going to happen with any truck I ride wobbly loose?

The aluminum that Ace uses is soft which is why they grind so smooth but its also going to cause issues like this. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #918 on: July 19, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
Anyone here ever try the Ace magnesium baseplates? How much lighter was your setup?

Yep. I'm running them on my setup. They've lasted for a long time (I don't run them on the street much and don't do big drops); not sure you can even find them anymore. They are significantly lighter (you can also add the krux pin for extra love AND fix your kingpin wobble issue).

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #919 on: July 19, 2016, 04:35:50 PM »
whats up this lag you all talking about ? The time it takes to reach the ground ?

Yes, cause whenever I cruise down the street and need to haul and there's crappy SoCal cracks that I gotta slight pop over the time it takes for my tail to angle up so I can atleast get a ghost pop is slow and I get these odd feeling laggy ollies

Thunders though, they act fast
yes

Main

« Reply #920 on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:15 PM »
I really don't want to be done with Ace but since I'm addicted to the wobble I feel like I'm just going to loosen the kingpin on each set. Indy is...boring. Don't know what truck to turn to :/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #921 on: July 19, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »
Unfortunately.......theeve....

Main

« Reply #922 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:37 AM »
The Theeve face engraved into the baseplate below the bushings and the model indication in black on the hanger makes them look like trucks I'd buy at Target though. If they didn't have that shit I'd probably try them.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:27 AM »
added a third inside washer to my 147 axles and its made a huge difference in stability, especially with the slightly wider than 8.25 board im riding now, 3 really is the magic number, yes it is.
haha, i had 5 inside washers and none on the outside on my 139s, try it

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #924 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:19 AM »
 :o 5? thats dope, doesnt no outside washer fuck up your roll though?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: July 20, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
:o 5? thats dope, doesnt no outside washer fuck up your roll though?
nope, the rolling isn't affected if you use speedrings, that allow you to tight the nuts, just have to check the nuts after every session cause they'll be flush
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:26:33 PM by the snake »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #926 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
The Theeve face engraved into the baseplate below the bushings and the model indication in black on the hanger makes them look like trucks I'd buy at Target though. If they didn't have that shit I'd probably try them.

I feel the same way about ACE hangars...they look like toys
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #927 on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »

You mean, like Thunder does?

http://www.thundertrucks.com/catalog/spring16/

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #928 on: July 21, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
I really don't want to be done with Ace but since I'm addicted to the wobble I feel like I'm just going to loosen the kingpin on each set. Indy is...boring. Don't know what truck to turn to :/
Why not just keep skating the aces? I have a set thats had crazy wobble on both kingpins for like 6 months and it doesn't bother me. I have a set of stage 11 indys as well, and the rear kingpin has almost as much wobble as the aces. They're the normal not hollow or forged ones fwiw.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:01:01 PM by bluntstofakie »
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Main

« Reply #929 on: July 21, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Yeah, anything besides Thunder team's look ridiculous as well. Don't know how someone can say Ace hangers look like toys, though. Definitely the best looking hanger on the market especially with the newer designs.

But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed. If anyone wants the two used sets let me know.