Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 295555 times)

rob and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #930 on: July 19, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »
Ahah is that a bummed aw man or a nostalgic aw man?

Theeves were actually pretty decent to me for a hi truck, I guess cause of how light they were or maybe the geometry I didn't get that lag I get from Indy stage 11 standards on the pop.

I wanna try a set of those v3 highs cause I had the v2 and the Indy bushing swap worked for a moment but eventually the v2 bushing pop out persisted and just happened and it bugged me even though it probably didn't hurt my turning or anything much

I have the v3 lows and they're good but the grind clearance like I mentioned before really throws me off
yes

christ0v

• Rep: 6
« Reply #931 on: July 19, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
whats up this lag you all talking about ? The time it takes to reach the ground ?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
« Reply #932 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »
added a third inside washer to my 147 axles and its made a huge difference in stability, especially with the slightly wider than 8.25 board im riding now, 3 really is the magic number, yes it is.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #933 on: July 19, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
Theeves have the best turn because of their oval yoke imo
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #934 on: July 19, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
I'm fuckin' pissed. Second set of Ace's in a row where my kingpins are loose. Just started getting the perfect groove in my back truck, too. Is this going to happen with any truck I ride wobbly loose?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #935 on: July 19, 2016, 02:36:12 PM »
I kind of miss riding theeve (TiKings), at the time, they were lighter than indy, a mid truck and had a faster feel to them (like Thunders). If it wasn't for the baseplate issues (I ride really loose and the pivot cup area would end up enlarging causing daewobble).

Was always waiting for them to release a forged plate to get them down to thunder height.

BMCsteve

« Reply #936 on: July 19, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I'm fuckin' pissed. Second set of Ace's in a row where my kingpins are loose. Just started getting the perfect groove in my back truck, too. Is this going to happen with any truck I ride wobbly loose?

The aluminum that Ace uses is soft which is why they grind so smooth but its also going to cause issues like this. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: July 19, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
Anyone here ever try the Ace magnesium baseplates? How much lighter was your setup?

Yep. I'm running them on my setup. They've lasted for a long time (I don't run them on the street much and don't do big drops); not sure you can even find them anymore. They are significantly lighter (you can also add the krux pin for extra love AND fix your kingpin wobble issue).

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #938 on: July 19, 2016, 04:35:50 PM »
whats up this lag you all talking about ? The time it takes to reach the ground ?

Yes, cause whenever I cruise down the street and need to haul and there's crappy SoCal cracks that I gotta slight pop over the time it takes for my tail to angle up so I can atleast get a ghost pop is slow and I get these odd feeling laggy ollies

Thunders though, they act fast
yes

Main

« Reply #939 on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:15 PM »
I really don't want to be done with Ace but since I'm addicted to the wobble I feel like I'm just going to loosen the kingpin on each set. Indy is...boring. Don't know what truck to turn to :/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #940 on: July 19, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »
Unfortunately.......theeve....

Main

« Reply #941 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:37 AM »
The Theeve face engraved into the baseplate below the bushings and the model indication in black on the hanger makes them look like trucks I'd buy at Target though. If they didn't have that shit I'd probably try them.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #942 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:27 AM »
added a third inside washer to my 147 axles and its made a huge difference in stability, especially with the slightly wider than 8.25 board im riding now, 3 really is the magic number, yes it is.
haha, i had 5 inside washers and none on the outside on my 139s, try it

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:19 AM »
 :o 5? thats dope, doesnt no outside washer fuck up your roll though?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #944 on: July 20, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
:o 5? thats dope, doesnt no outside washer fuck up your roll though?
nope, the rolling isn't affected if you use speedrings, that allow you to tight the nuts, just have to check the nuts after every session cause they'll be flush
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:26:33 PM by the snake »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #945 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
The Theeve face engraved into the baseplate below the bushings and the model indication in black on the hanger makes them look like trucks I'd buy at Target though. If they didn't have that shit I'd probably try them.

I feel the same way about ACE hangars...they look like toys
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #946 on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »

You mean, like Thunder does?

http://www.thundertrucks.com/catalog/spring16/

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #947 on: July 21, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
I really don't want to be done with Ace but since I'm addicted to the wobble I feel like I'm just going to loosen the kingpin on each set. Indy is...boring. Don't know what truck to turn to :/
Why not just keep skating the aces? I have a set thats had crazy wobble on both kingpins for like 6 months and it doesn't bother me. I have a set of stage 11 indys as well, and the rear kingpin has almost as much wobble as the aces. They're the normal not hollow or forged ones fwiw.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:01:01 PM by bluntstofakie »
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Main

« Reply #948 on: July 21, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Yeah, anything besides Thunder team's look ridiculous as well. Don't know how someone can say Ace hangers look like toys, though. Definitely the best looking hanger on the market especially with the newer designs.

But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed. If anyone wants the two used sets let me know.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #949 on: July 21, 2016, 11:23:19 PM »
Yeah, anything besides Thunder team's look ridiculous as well. Don't know how someone can say Ace hangers look like toys, though. Definitely the best looking hanger on the market especially with the newer designs.

But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed. If anyone wants the two used sets let me know.

two used sets? 44's?

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -383
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #950 on: July 21, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed.
This is a thing? Damn, I really want to try aces too...
Basically I just want to mix it up because indys don't turn/ respond like they used too (I'm in the Geoof Rowley camp on this one - probably the only camp him and I share). Maybe I should go back to thunders, it'll only be like what 20 years since I rocked a pair

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #951 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:40 AM »
But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed.
Basically I just want to mix it up because indys don't turn/ respond like they used too (I'm in the Geoof Rowley camp on this one - probably the only camp him and I share). Maybe I should go back to thunders, it'll only be like what 20 years since I rocked a pair
Do it. Thunders got the quick snappy turn. I switch back and forth between them and ace's but I roll with the ace's more often. They have a much deeper turn. And I've honestly never used indy's in my life...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: July 22, 2016, 04:51:53 AM »
Do it. Thunders got the quick snappy turn. I switch back and forth between them and ace's but I roll with the ace's more often. They have a much deeper turn. And I've honestly never used indy's in my life...
Agreed, Thunders have maybe the funnest turn for street skating(granted i mean with replacement thunder bushings and no bottom washer), really good for finicky skate situations, super fun

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #953 on: July 22, 2016, 06:02:17 AM »
I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed. If anyone wants the two used sets let me know.

I'd keep skating them. On my last set of stage 11s both kingpins were loose for over 6 months and nothing happened. Don't kingpins usually snap when trucks are too tight?

I think I'm done with Indy. I really like Ace, but if they don't hold up I have a set of Thunders waiting.

Do it. Thunders got the quick snappy turn. I switch back and forth between them and aces but I roll with the aces more often. They have a much deeper turn. And I've honestly never used indy's in my life...

Hopefully I can switch between Ace and Thunder, too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:03:54 AM by clamy »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #954 on: July 22, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
But you guys realize that you could just ride indys and have the best of both worlds......

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
But you guys realize that you could just ride indys and have the best of both worlds......

I keep thinking that's the case and running forged TI indys with conical bushings get's you closer to what thunder offers but it's still a different feel.

If there was a true best of both worlds truck, I'd ride it, even if it was made by Tensor, Royal, Fury or Minifuckinglogo.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #956 on: July 22, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
Do you guys get Krux' to turn deeply?

I have a pair on my cruiser, with 54 mm conical keyframes and they turn nice and all up to a point where they just won't turn any deeper. With 54 mm wheels it is impossible to get wheelbite with the Krux'. Way before getting wheelbite, the truck just won't bend further. I can get my cruiser board on two wheels easily. 54 mm wheels, no risers and I weigh 90 kg (200 lbs).

I kinda feel like I should have gone with the Ace 44s instead for the cruiser. Krux' were just more easily available and cheaper.  :-\

Howie

• Rep: 9
« Reply #957 on: July 22, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
Does anyone know the height measurements for Indy and Thunder highs and lows?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: July 22, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »
Do you guys get Krux' to turn deeply?

I have a pair on my cruiser, with 54 mm conical keyframes and they turn nice and all up to a point where they just won't turn any deeper. With 54 mm wheels it is impossible to get wheelbite with the Krux'. Way before getting wheelbite, the truck just won't bend further. I can get my cruiser board on two wheels easily. 54 mm wheels, no risers and I weigh 90 kg (200 lbs).

I kinda feel like I should have gone with the Ace 44s instead for the cruiser. Krux' were just more easily available and cheaper.  :-\

Krux don't really turn/carve deeply like ACE or Indy but the turn does feel like Indy/ACE to a point, but a bit quicker (but not thunder quick) I never quite found the right setup for them; I enjoyed them but they felt more like I was tipping rather than turning.

Ace's for a crusier are the right choice, even indys. On a budget, Krux should do you fine.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
hardly art, hardly starving