Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221088 times)

Jake From State Farm

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #930 on: July 21, 2016, 11:23:19 PM »
Yeah, anything besides Thunder team's look ridiculous as well. Don't know how someone can say Ace hangers look like toys, though. Definitely the best looking hanger on the market especially with the newer designs.

But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed. If anyone wants the two used sets let me know.

two used sets? 44's?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #931 on: July 21, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed.
This is a thing? Damn, I really want to try aces too...
Basically I just want to mix it up because indys don't turn/ respond like they used too (I'm in the Geoof Rowley camp on this one - probably the only camp him and I share). Maybe I should go back to thunders, it'll only be like what 20 years since I rocked a pair

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #932 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:40 AM »
Expand Quote
But I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed.
[close]
Basically I just want to mix it up because indys don't turn/ respond like they used too (I'm in the Geoof Rowley camp on this one - probably the only camp him and I share). Maybe I should go back to thunders, it'll only be like what 20 years since I rocked a pair
Do it. Thunders got the quick snappy turn. I switch back and forth between them and ace's but I roll with the ace's more often. They have a much deeper turn. And I've honestly never used indy's in my life...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #933 on: July 22, 2016, 04:51:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Do it. Thunders got the quick snappy turn. I switch back and forth between them and ace's but I roll with the ace's more often. They have a much deeper turn. And I've honestly never used indy's in my life...
Agreed, Thunders have maybe the funnest turn for street skating(granted i mean with replacement thunder bushings and no bottom washer), really good for finicky skate situations, super fun

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #934 on: July 22, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
But you guys realize that you could just ride indys and have the best of both worlds......

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #935 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
But you guys realize that you could just ride indys and have the best of both worlds......

I keep thinking that's the case and running forged TI indys with conical bushings get's you closer to what thunder offers but it's still a different feel.

If there was a true best of both worlds truck, I'd ride it, even if it was made by Tensor, Royal, Fury or Minifuckinglogo.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #936 on: July 22, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
Do you guys get Krux' to turn deeply?

I have a pair on my cruiser, with 54 mm conical keyframes and they turn nice and all up to a point where they just won't turn any deeper. With 54 mm wheels it is impossible to get wheelbite with the Krux'. Way before getting wheelbite, the truck just won't bend further. I can get my cruiser board on two wheels easily. 54 mm wheels, no risers and I weigh 90 kg (200 lbs).

I kinda feel like I should have gone with the Ace 44s instead for the cruiser. Krux' were just more easily available and cheaper.  :-\

Howie

• Rep: 9
« Reply #937 on: July 22, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
Does anyone know the height measurements for Indy and Thunder highs and lows?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #938 on: July 22, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »

I have a pair on my cruiser, with 54 mm conical keyframes and they turn nice and all up to a point where they just won't turn any deeper. With 54 mm wheels it is impossible to get wheelbite with the Krux'. Way before getting wheelbite, the truck just won't bend further. I can get my cruiser board on two wheels easily. 54 mm wheels, no risers and I weigh 90 kg (200 lbs).

I kinda feel like I should have gone with the Ace 44s instead for the cruiser. Krux' were just more easily available and cheaper.  :-\

Krux don't really turn/carve deeply like ACE or Indy but the turn does feel like Indy/ACE to a point, but a bit quicker (but not thunder quick) I never quite found the right setup for them; I enjoyed them but they felt more like I was tipping rather than turning.

Ace's for a crusier are the right choice, even indys. On a budget, Krux should do you fine.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
hardly art, hardly starving

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #940 on: July 22, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux don't really turn/carve deeply like ACE or Indy but the turn does feel like Indy/ACE to a point, but a bit quicker (but not thunder quick) I never quite found the right setup for them; I enjoyed them but they felt more like I was tipping rather than turning.

Ace's for a crusier are the right choice, even indys. On a budget, Krux should do you fine.

Thanks for the comments. I've got Indys in my main setup and I quite like them, but I'm not too fond of the wheelbite though. 54 mm wheels there too and sometimes the wheelbite takes me out.

Oh well. Some day I'll get the Aces I guess. Just gotta wait for the right time. Either feeling wealthy enough to buy them for the normal price of 60€ or hope for some sales.  :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #941 on: July 22, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I keep thinking that's the case and running forged TI indys with conical bushings get's you closer to what thunder offers but it's still a different feel.

If there was a true best of both worlds truck, I'd ride it, even if it was made by Tensor, Royal, Fury or Minifuckinglogo.

What if it was called something dumb like Theeve....

I am the truck troll.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #942 on: July 22, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What if it was called something dumb like Theeve....

I am the truck troll.....

Far from a troll as that IS the closest thing (I've ridden a few sets) and would ride them now if only the baseplates wouldn't blow out in the pivot area do to me riding so damn loose.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #943 on: July 23, 2016, 01:06:28 AM »
What's the height of Krux Downlows, Indy Lows, and Ace Lows? I'm skating Downlows right now but I want something a bit lower because I really hate this delay in my pop.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #944 on: July 23, 2016, 01:12:45 AM »
everyone talking about "delay." Just ride ventures if you want a quick pop. You're obviously not worried about turning if you're thinking about lows.
you never know about pre-cum 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #945 on: July 23, 2016, 03:43:14 AM »
What's the height of Krux Downlows, Indy Lows, and Ace Lows? I'm skating Downlows right now but I want something a bit lower because I really hate this delay in my pop.

Krux downlows are 52mm if i remember correctly, about the same hight as the thunder hi's, so they arent that much of a low.
The indy's lows are 48,5mm and are pretty good for low trucks. Ace's i dont know, but dont go with those, my friend has some 03 and i cant think of a worse truck i've ridden.
Thunder lows are good, i've ridden a set for about 2years and they were quality. They are really low (tactics site says they are 48,3mm but they feel lower), so wheelbite will be a problem if you dont tight them up.
Then yeah, like nallid said, venture lows are known for being good low trucks! (48,3mm in tactics site too)

I'm highs for life tho. Since I changed I only feel an improvement.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #946 on: July 23, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
Looking to sell my two sets of moderately used raw Ace 44's that still have a lot of life in them. PM me if you're interested.

N.L.

« Reply #947 on: July 23, 2016, 05:43:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm not going to keep skating the Ace's and have the kingpin snap, or collapse while I'm going full speed. If anyone wants the two used sets let me know.
[close]

I'd keep skating them. On my last set of stage 11s both kingpins were loose for over 6 months and nothing happened. Don't kingpins usually snap when trucks are too tight?

I think I'm done with Indy. I really like Ace, but if they don't hold up I have a set of Thunders waiting.

Expand Quote
Do it. Thunders got the quick snappy turn. I switch back and forth between them and aces but I roll with the aces more often. They have a much deeper turn. And I've honestly never used indy's in my life...
[close]

Hopefully I can switch between Ace and Thunder, too.

I' ve been doing this and while they feel very different its doable. I much prefer the way Thunders respond with a riser (destabilizes them nicely) and I'm currently loving my 151s again. Stock bushings totally broken in and almost to axle… going to be bummed when these die… might be the last Thunders that I can get with a Made in USA stamp on it.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #948 on: July 23, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for pivot cups to replace the ones on a pair of krux? After skating mine for over a year. I've come to realise that they are shredded apart.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #949 on: July 24, 2016, 04:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Krux downlows are 52mm if i remember correctly, about the same hight as the thunder hi's, so they arent that much of a low.
The indy's lows are 48,5mm and are pretty good for low trucks. Ace's i dont know, but dont go with those, my friend has some 03 and i cant think of a worse truck i've ridden.
Thunder lows are good, i've ridden a set for about 2years and they were quality. They are really low (tactics site says they are 48,3mm but they feel lower), so wheelbite will be a problem if you dont tight them up.
Then yeah, like nallid said, venture lows are known for being good low trucks! (48,3mm in tactics site too)

I'm highs for life tho. Since I changed I only feel an improvement.

the best low trucks with good pop response, turn, and grind clearance is(call me a kook if you want but the measurements dont lie) thunder 145/147 hi, cause supposedly they are 49/50mm tall which is basically a low compared to hi and low height standards of todays trucks with most hi trucks being around 55mm tall

ventures are too tight in my opinion, i love low trucks and a quick pop response but ventures i feel mess with the wheel base and their turn is terrible even when the bushings break in. they just respond weird to me and i skate medium tight

i remember ace 03 are same as indy lows at 48.5mm

i think hollow forged thunder 145/147 hi are actually pretty low too cause of the baseplates so theyre probably 47mm-48mm cause of that forged plates

thunder 149,151 are actually a good hi height

did everyone see the love letters episode of truck wars?
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: July 26, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations for pivot cups to replace the ones on a pair of krux? After skating mine for over a year. I've come to realise that they are shredded apart.

I was dorking around with some components and took a snap of Krux pivot cups (left) and regular (R) which fit in indy/thunder/venture/ace/etc. You gotta get some krux replacements in there.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #951 on: July 26, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »
i bought some indy aftermarket pivot cups while buing some 149s, they look and lock far way better than the stock ones...
why the hell do they sell their trucks with shitty bushings and shitty pivot cups ? that's criminal borderline !

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:39:31 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »
The Boss bringing back the six hole baseplates!

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #954 on: July 27, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was dorking around with some components and took a snap of Krux pivot cups (left) and regular (R) which fit in indy/thunder/venture/ace/etc. You gotta get some krux replacements in there.

Totes, thanks for the reply. I've been looking for krux pivot cups but have not had any luck. Does anyone know where I can snag some besides having to buy a new pair of trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: July 28, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »
You'd have to buy Krux replacement bushings, they come with them.

Are you in the states? I've two extra I can mail you! Shoot me your address via PM if you are.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #956 on: July 31, 2016, 01:21:58 AM »
Question:

If the axle placement for most ventures are wider than most trucks on the market, then why do/how can most of the techiest skaters ride them? Theoretically speaking, doesn't a wider wheelbase make for harder/slower pop & flip tricks? I imagine ventures widen wheelbases even more. 

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #957 on: July 31, 2016, 02:05:09 AM »
Like as a 7.5 board with 139s vs a 8.5 with 149s? Pretty simple science that will tell you that a smaller board with skinny trucks will flip faster than a big board with wide trucks- it will also require less energy to do so.

#stayinschool

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #958 on: July 31, 2016, 02:43:06 AM »

But then why don't more vertranny dudes ride ventures more?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #959 on: July 31, 2016, 03:20:23 AM »
Question:

If the axle placement for most ventures are wider than most trucks on the market, then why do/how can most of the techiest skaters ride them? Theoretically speaking, doesn't a wider wheelbase make for harder/slower pop & flip tricks? I imagine ventures widen wheelbases even more. 

That's exactly what I'm wondering about, cause I didn't know much about why wheel base matters but turns out the shorter it is the better for flipping the board and having a certain turn-ability/response in turn

I thought, hey I love low trucks and ventures would be the best low trucks since they've been doing it for years and are known to be the lowest and best tech truck but man that was not how I felt about them, that axle placement just throws me off so much. So far though I love Indy lows, theeve lows, and thunder lows are alright but oddly they carve more than their hi counter parts.
yes