Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220905 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #960 on: July 31, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »
The wheel base and the geometry of the ventures make it so the tail hits quicker. They're a street truck, that design is supposed to give you quicker ollies and theoretically more pop.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #961 on: July 31, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »
The wheel base and the geometry of the ventures make it so the tail hits quicker. They're a street truck, that design is supposed to give you quicker ollies and theoretically more pop.

Thunders are the ones that REALLY push out the wheelbase.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #962 on: July 31, 2016, 11:33:25 PM »
oh shit i didnt even know that indy made a hollow low truck, that might work out better then the hi's i got right now, the indy lows are lower than the thunder hi's with the forged baseplate right?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: July 31, 2016, 11:57:04 PM »
How low are you wanting? I'm riding forged hollow 149s right now and they're 53.5, where standards are 55. Lows are 48.something.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #964 on: August 01, 2016, 03:33:29 AM »
oh shit i didnt even know that indy made a hollow low truck, that might work out better then the hi's i got right now, the indy lows are lower than the thunder hi's with the forged baseplate right?

no I don't think, I think thunder hi standards are 49mm tall and forged plates make them 47.5mm so Indy lows would be 1mm higher or about the same height basically with Indy lows
yes

Mcfctid

« Reply #965 on: August 02, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
I hope this is the right thread for this question, I recently switched from thunder 147 low (with thunder medium)  bushings, to venture low with bones medium bushings. My question is that I rode thunders medium in terms of tightness, and they were very rigid , felt squeaky at times.  The ventures are very responsive, almost too responsive. Is this common with ventures or with bones medium bushings?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: August 02, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
it's probably the bushings.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #967 on: August 02, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »
I know people are always bumming on bones meds in Thunders...but I like it.  also, some photo of lucas' board for his new shoe campaign showed he uses em in his thunders too.  so there. 

hardly art, hardly starving

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #968 on: August 02, 2016, 02:35:09 PM »

I'm not sure about quicker but since the leverage point/fulcrum  is farther out towards the tail, the amount of force required to snap the tail or nose on the ground is increased. In addition, the angle where the tail hits the ground is steeper, which theoretically leads to a higher Ollie because your nose is higher off the ground.

The turning geometry is pretty nice, they carve very surf like and sharp if you put weight into it but seem to have a large middle point where they feel super stable, unlike indys which to me feel like they are always kind of turning even when you don't want them to.

They're easily my favorite truck minus the hard to break in bushings, but replacing the top bushing with a bones medium and leaving the stock bottom makes them feel even more surfy.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #969 on: August 06, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »
Any ideas on where I might be able to order some Krux bushings for my Aces? Ive been looking around for a few weeks and haven't seen anything recently.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #970 on: August 06, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
Any ideas on where I might be able to order some Krux bushings for my Aces? Ive been looking around for a few weeks and haven't seen anything recently.

NHS said 8/15 ish they will be back in stock on their site. This is the only place that has them currently:

http://www.saltypeaks.com/products/31830/Krux-Worlds-Best-Cushions-Bushings-92a.html

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #971 on: August 08, 2016, 12:13:41 AM »
I'm riding Ace 44 with bones medium bushings (both washers) and there is something strange with my board.
I'm regular, and it feels like my board can only be ridden this way.
I mean, if I try to ride it in goofy it feels really weird...

I was riding Indys 149 before, with bones, and it never happened...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #972 on: August 08, 2016, 05:36:33 AM »
I'm riding Ace 44 with bones medium bushings (both washers) and there is something strange with my board.

could be crooked axles?

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #973 on: August 08, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
You probably have wobble in one or both kingpins. Take your hangers off and see if you can wiggle the kingpin.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #974 on: August 08, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
You probably have wobble in one or both kingpins. Take your hangers off and see if you can wiggle the kingpin.

I've had that happpen with Thunders recently.

bluntstofakie

« Reply #975 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
[close]

Damn that sucks to hear I'm on thunders right now. Were they the hollow forged, or the team baseplates?

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #976 on: August 08, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
[close]

[close]
Damn that sucks to hear I'm on thunders right now. Were they the hollow forged, or the team baseplates?

they were just the regular team baseplates. 151's.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: August 08, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »
decided to dump everything I was skating when I hurt my ankle.  to even further distance myself, I went back to Thunder (from Indy).

set up some Ti 149 hangars on the regular ol' USA baseplates, with some old bones med (always use old bushings to avoid the break in time).   tiny bit more height with a tiny bit more weight.  think it's gonna be the sweet spot.

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #978 on: August 08, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
decided to dump everything I was skating when I hurt my ankle.  to even further distance myself, I went back to Thunder (from Indy).

set up some Ti 149 hangars on the regular ol' USA baseplates, with some old bones med (always use old bushings to avoid the break in time).   tiny bit more height with a tiny bit more weight.  think it's gonna be the sweet spot.

i've had a few sets, but those dual duro bushings wear out too quickly on me.

the seam between the softer base and the harder cone always ends up blowing out shortly after they've broken in

bluntstofakie

« Reply #979 on: August 08, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the seam between the softer base and the harder cone always ends up blowing out shortly after they've broken in
When was the last time you skated them? That would always happen to mine, but it seems like in the past 6 months or so the quality has gone way up. I would normally blow a set out in a month or 2 but the last set I had lasted like 5 months. Anyone else have good luck with them recently?

unerds

« Reply #980 on: August 08, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
When was the last time you skated them? That would always happen to mine, but it seems like in the past 6 months or so the quality has gone way up. I would normally blow a set out in a month or 2 but the last set I had lasted like 5 months. Anyone else have good luck with them recently?

last set was just a couple months ago... they lasted liiike 6 weeks in indy's stage 11s.

maybe old stock... either way, they're nice to get a broken in feel a bit quicker, but i'm back on stock indy... might try indy aftermarket

danjtony

« Reply #981 on: August 08, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
Anyone have experience using Doh-Dohs (Shorty's) bushings on Indys? They were the only aftermarket bushings at my local shop and they said they would fit (with stock washers), but once you tighten them even a bit the sides just shred off. I remember this happening when I tried Doh-Dohs like six or seven years ago too. Rode those for quite a while and they never felt bad, despite the tearing.   

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #982 on: August 09, 2016, 01:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]

OK thanks, I'll check this out !
I'm riding these Aces for only 2 months...

Is there a way to fix the kingpin back to the baseplate ?

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #983 on: August 09, 2016, 06:17:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ive never had a problem with bones med in the last decade or so since I started skating em. 

unerds

« Reply #984 on: August 09, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

ive never had a problem with bones med in the last decade or so since I started skating em. 

this is what's up for me:

after a month or two... nothing is rolling straight on those.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: August 09, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
dunno what to say.  ive just never had a problem with em.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #986 on: August 09, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »

Ti hangers on the team plates are really nice - like you said a bit more weight but the bonus of a tiny bit more height; I use bones med bottoms and soft tops, makes a nice carvy setup once you lean into it. Either Reed or Lenny planted that idea in my head. Not cost effective for most tho.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #987 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
decided to dump everything I was skating when I hurt my ankle.�  to even further distance myself, I went back to Thunder (from Indy).

set up some Ti 149 hangars on the regular ol' USA baseplates, with some old bones med (always use old bushings to avoid the break in time).�  � tiny bit more height with a tiny bit more weight.�  think it's gonna be the sweet spot.
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

this is what's up for me:

after a month or two... nothing is rolling straight on those.
That happens to my homie who always skates those. After about a month or two they're blown out in the exact same way.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #988 on: August 09, 2016, 11:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
[close]

I checked my kingpins yesterday and you were right: the kingpin of my front truck is not sticked to the baseplate anymore...
I tighten up my front truck a little and it feels better, but is this the only way to fix the problem ?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #989 on: August 10, 2016, 03:25:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
[close]

[close]

I checked my kingpins yesterday and you were right: the kingpin of my front truck is not sticked to the baseplate anymore...
I tighten up my front truck a little and it feels better, but is this the only way to fix the problem ?

Go on YouTube and look up how to replace truck kingpins by that ratvision guy, it's not that hard. I've replaced kingpins a few times. Just gotta watch your thumbs when hammering

That bones medium tearing usually happens when you ride loose ish and no bottom washer, I heard riding the hards without a washer is fine and they break in to feel like fresh mediums
yes