Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220968 times)

bluntstofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #990 on: August 10, 2016, 07:12:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm riding Ace 44 with bones medium bushings (both washers) and there is something strange with my board.
I'm regular, and it feels like my board can only be ridden this way.
I mean, if I try to ride it in goofy it feels really weird...

I was riding Indys 149 before, with bones, and it never happened...
[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
You probably have wobble in one or both kingpins. Take your hangers off and see if you can wiggle the kingpin.
[close]

OK thanks, I'll check this out !
I'm riding these Aces for only 2 months...

Is there a way to fix the kingpin back to the baseplate ?
[close]

I checked my kingpins yesterday and you were right: the kingpin of my front truck is not sticked to the baseplate anymore...
I tighten up my front truck a little and it feels better, but is this the only way to fix the problem ?
I don't think there is anyway to fix it. It happens because aces are softer than most trucks. The stress on the kingpin from turning and grinding will bend out the kingpin hole in the baseplate, which will make the kingpin loose. Once it starts it will only get worse. I actually bent out the pivot hole in a baseplate from a single session with a blow out pivot cup. Imo the bent hanger problem of the stage 1's should have been fixed by using better quality alloy, which would have also fixed the kingpin problem.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #991 on: August 10, 2016, 09:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm riding Ace 44 with bones medium bushings (both washers) and there is something strange with my board.
I'm regular, and it feels like my board can only be ridden this way.
I mean, if I try to ride it in goofy it feels really weird...

I was riding Indys 149 before, with bones, and it never happened...
[close]
could be crooked axles?
[close]
You probably have wobble in one or both kingpins. Take your hangers off and see if you can wiggle the kingpin.
[close]

OK thanks, I'll check this out !
I'm riding these Aces for only 2 months...

Is there a way to fix the kingpin back to the baseplate ?
[close]

I checked my kingpins yesterday and you were right: the kingpin of my front truck is not sticked to the baseplate anymore...
I tighten up my front truck a little and it feels better, but is this the only way to fix the problem ?
[close]

Go on YouTube and look up how to replace truck kingpins by that ratvision guy, it's not that hard. I've replaced kingpins a few times. Just gotta watch your thumbs when hammering

That bones medium tearing usually happens when you ride loose ish and no bottom washer, I heard riding the hards without a washer is fine and they break in to feel like fresh mediums

that's exactly it.  they're too tight on indy's with the washer... i recently lost a hangar while hauling ass down the street that way - ollied up a curb, hangar dropped, i dropped.

product just isn't compatible with my setup... no biggie, stock indy's bushings aren't terrible.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #992 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
I'm off the Bones kool aid

The built in cores are crap. I've switched over to aftermarket indy bushings with no complaints.

I think the key with bushings is to pick your duro and ride it loose. If you want something tighter, go up a duro.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #993 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »
^ i used to be on bones for so long then used the aftermarket thunders last year and was stuck on those. bones are over rated imo.

i was using thunders 147 hi's for the last 6 years but was kinda bummed on changing the kingpin but every few months cause i skate a lot of ledges. wanted something with more kingpin clearance so i decided to go back to what i was using primarily before the thunders.

just recently got these trucks last week, independent 139 hi's with the aftermarket 88a conical bushings. i used the stock cylinders but the turn felt sluggish and not sharp like they do with these, also coming from a lower truck (thunder hi's are lower compared to most high trucks) feels nicer to have conical bushings versus the cylinder bottom.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #994 on: August 10, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »
dunno what to say.  ive just never had a problem with em.

How much you tighten your trucks and which are they?

Like after fastening it as much as possible with your hands and then how many turns on a tool?

maybe easier if you give us a pic.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #995 on: August 10, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote
dunno what to say.  ive just never had a problem with em.

[close]

Like after fastening it as much as possible with your hands and then how many turns on a tool?

pic:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:04:27 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #996 on: August 10, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dunno what to say. � ive just never had a problem with em.

[close]

[close]

pic:

If you aint breaking them, you are doing something wrong.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #997 on: August 10, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
mine got shredded like Daiya
throw them Bones in fiyah
get that indy aftermarket
and the sesh? your gonna spark it

peace

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #998 on: August 10, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dunno what to say. � ive just never had a problem with em.

[close]

[close]

pic:

[close]

If you aint breaking them, you are doing something wrong.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #999 on: August 10, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »
my bones bushings never cracked our shredded but the top part of the bottom bushing would "muffin top" they felt good when you first put em on then got too flimsy. plus there like $12 ($20 over seas) and they ONLY come with bushings. the Thunder rebuild kid comes with pivots, washers etc and the indy aftermarkets come with the right size washers and are half the price.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1000 on: August 11, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »
Thunder TI with Indy conical 88a + Bones washers. Bones meds = too hard, bones softs = too floopy feeling. The Indy's don't snap back to center as fast but it gets the thunders feeling pretty surfy.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:23:16 PM by Xen »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1001 on: August 12, 2016, 06:30:35 AM »
I haven't ridden bones bushings for a few years now. They come with too much hassle and aren't durable in the long run.
If you do the Indy/bones combo I suggest you make the switch to Indy aftermarkets, or at the very least give them a try. They feel better than bones bushings, have way more options when it comes to duro choice, and are waaaay more durable than bones.
 I've had a set of 94A aftermarkets for more than a year now and I've maybe only had to mess with them once or twice (and that was only in the first week or so during the break in/adjustment period) and they're still going strong with no signs of deterioration at all. A set of bones would only last me on average a few months at most before they started slowly deteriorating or before I had to start messing with them with a tool all the time to get them to stay feeling the way that I liked because they would always start to feel different than what you originally adjusted them to the more you skated.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1002 on: August 12, 2016, 06:40:56 AM »
oh man, now I just don't know what to do...

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1003 on: August 12, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »
oh man, now I just don't know what to do...

in regards to bushings, whatever works for you... in regards to hauling on that doobie, it's an absolute must.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1004 on: August 12, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »
Thunder 149 with Khiro conicals. I ride the medium soft.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1005 on: August 12, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »

I've been thinking about snagging up some of these. Do you know if the small top and large barrel would fit in aces??

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1006 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »
Set up the green Thunders I had posted in another thread. I'm going stock for once and the switch from Indy (Hard Bones bushings) is definitely there. Hopefully the kingpin doesn't give out like the last set I had.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1007 on: August 14, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »
Truck wars pt. 2 is out!

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1008 on: August 14, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »
I've been craving something a little quicker on response, somewhere not quite as quick as Thunder,  that still allows for a surfy/carving experience. I'm leaning towards ace 44. Don't think there is anything else out there for that type of thing

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1009 on: August 14, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »
I've been craving something a little quicker on response, somewhere not quite as quick as Thunder,  that still allows for a surfy/carving experience. I'm leaning towards ace 44. Don't think there is anything else out there for that type of thing

Yep. Throw some Krux bushings in them and you will have exactly what you're lookin' for.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1010 on: August 14, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
Expand Quote

http://socalskateshop.com/images/products/large_3596_Khiro_Silver_Inserts_RedLG.jpg
[close]
I've been thinking about snagging up some of these. Do you know if the small top and large barrel would fit in aces??

Cherb - Yeah, I think you'll be good with large barrel bottom. I've tried the conical on the bottom on Ace and and it didn't work.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1011 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:42 AM »

Don't mean to be a kook but maybe theeve

I'm riding some now and they are nice, they are about what some say, between a thunder and Indy. Like a faster more stable Indy but not as fast as thunder
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1012 on: August 15, 2016, 03:28:22 AM »
Has anyone tried the tracker axis trucks? Watching truck wars got me curious as to how the only all parts from the USA truck truck performs, how tall are they and how's the turning ?
yes

Big Sweatpants

• Rep: -66
  • KOOKIN' IT SO FUCKING HARD
« Reply #1013 on: August 15, 2016, 06:19:27 AM »
Has anyone tried the tracker axis trucks? Watching truck wars got me curious as to how the only all parts from the USA truck truck performs, how tall are they and how's the turning ?
I was obsessed with Jeremy Klein in the early 00's and skated nothing but Trackers just because of him. I loved the Darts, just had to throw Indy bushings in them. Turned great--a little high in height, but I liked that. The missing chunk out of the middle of the baseplate is rad.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:46:11 AM by Big Sweatpants »

Mongoloid

« Reply #1014 on: August 15, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »
Tried out the Ace 03 this weekend for a little bit, and had a major feeling I could not find my center as far as popping tricks.

I don't know if its in relation to the kingpin position/angle, but I just couldn't seem to make it work. Even tre flips which are my go to in any setup just weren't happening.

Maybe on a fresh setup i'll give them one last try, but if I cant pull it together I will be reselling the sets that I have.

This leads me to another point. Can anyone at all tell me why it is impossible to find Thunder 147 lo's these days? I know the lows were being phased out in some of the models, but when I go on the website it still appears the team 147 lo's are still being produced. Yet I cant for the life of me find them in any shops online (don't have a local anymore).

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: August 15, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
Tried out the Ace 03 this weekend for a little bit, and had a major feeling I could not find my center as far as popping tricks.

I don't know if its in relation to the kingpin position/angle, but I just couldn't seem to make it work. Even tre flips which are my go to in any setup just weren't happening.

Maybe on a fresh setup i'll give them one last try, but if I cant pull it together I will be reselling the sets that I have.

This leads me to another point. Can anyone at all tell me why it is impossible to find Thunder 147 lo's these days? I know the lows were being phased out in some of the models, but when I go on the website it still appears the team 147 lo's are still being produced. Yet I cant for the life of me find them in any shops online (don't have a local anymore).

It's probably the whole new truck adjustment period.
After 2 years with Indy 139s (stage 10.5, with bones hard if anyone cares) to my Thunders I couldn't do much, it looked like it was my first time on board (worse than usual) but, after getting used to them my balance is returning.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1016 on: August 15, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »

Keep it on the low but from the source I heard they're redesigning the 147 lo like they did with the 145 lo, I'm guessing it's gonna resemble the remastered 147hi more like the remastered 145 lo, also I have a set of 147 lo and they're noticibly a bit on the chunky side.

Anyone notice that "theeve" looks like they're design totally ripped everything about the original thunders? Look at the hangar style/shape and baseplate almost exactly the same design

yes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: August 15, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Keep it on the low but from the source I heard they're redesigning the 147 lo like they did with the 145 lo, I'm guessing it's gonna resemble the remastered 147hi more like the remastered 145 lo, also I have a set of 147 lo and they're noticibly a bit on the chunky side.

Anyone notice that "theeve" looks like they're design totally ripped everything about the original thunders? Look at the hangar style/shape and baseplate almost exactly the same design

They're known as Theeve for a reason

Also, is Thinders slowly improving their stuff?

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: August 15, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was obsessed with Jeremy Klein in the early 00's and skated nothing but Trackers just because of him. I loved the Darts, just had to throw Indy bushings in them. Turned great--a little high in height, but I liked that. The missing chunk out of the middle of the baseplate is rad.

Agree with Sweatpants, they are good trucks. No one will try them because they are Tracker. I skated them for about 3 months simply for nostalgia sake. I tried the Axis and also the Dart and thought both were great trucks. The Axis are definitely higher than most and IMO they are a little heavy but they turn just as well as any truck. The Dart is a little lower than the Axis, similar to Thunder 149.

Rob - If you want the Axis just hit me with a PM and a few bucks for shipping and they're yours.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1019 on: August 15, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They're known as Theeve for a reason

Also, is Thinders slowly improving their stuff?

Never thought of that but yeah I can see it......theeve made a lot of headway because they came w bones bushings.....low and behold they just started putting in their own knock off ones......so Powell isn't too stoked on them.....

Still think though they are a good Indy alternative.....