Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221052 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1020 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »
Damn, Theeve has been using fake Bones knock offs in their trucks? How'd you find that one out? I'm curious, as I almost bought some.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1021 on: August 15, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »
Damn, Theeve has been using fake Bones knock offs in their trucks? How'd you find that one out? I'm curious, as I almost bought some.

That explains why mine are all white and feel off.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1022 on: August 15, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the tracker axis trucks? Watching truck wars got me curious as to how the only all parts from the USA truck truck performs, how tall are they and how's the turning ?
[close]
I was obsessed with Jeremy Klein in the early 00's and skated nothing but Trackers just because of him. I loved the Darts, just had to throw Indy bushings in them. Turned great--a little high in height, but I liked that. The missing chunk out of the middle of the baseplate is rad.
[close]

Agree with Sweatpants, they are good trucks. No one will try them because they are Tracker. I skated them for about 3 months simply for nostalgia sake. I tried the Axis and also the Dart and thought both were great trucks. The Axis are definitely higher than most and IMO they are a little heavy but they turn just as well as any truck. The Dart is a little lower than the Axis, similar to Thunder 149.

Rob - If you want the Axis just hit me with a PM and a few bucks for shipping and they're yours.

ooo definitely man, low on cash at the moment but i will put a reminder on it when i get paid ;D

how tall would you say the axis are? like indy tall or higher :o

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tried out the Ace 03 this weekend for a little bit, and had a major feeling I could not find my center as far as popping tricks.

I don't know if its in relation to the kingpin position/angle, but I just couldn't seem to make it work. Even tre flips which are my go to in any setup just weren't happening.

Maybe on a fresh setup i'll give them one last try, but if I cant pull it together I will be reselling the sets that I have.

This leads me to another point. Can anyone at all tell me why it is impossible to find Thunder 147 lo's these days? I know the lows were being phased out in some of the models, but when I go on the website it still appears the team 147 lo's are still being produced. Yet I cant for the life of me find them in any shops online (don't have a local anymore).
[close]

Keep it on the low but from the source I heard they're redesigning the 147 lo like they did with the 145 lo, I'm guessing it's gonna resemble the remastered 147hi more like the remastered 145 lo, also I have a set of 147 lo and they're noticibly a bit on the chunky side.

Anyone notice that "theeve" looks like they're design totally ripped everything about the original thunders? Look at the hangar style/shape and baseplate almost exactly the same design

[close]

They're known as Theeve for a reason

Also, is Thinders slowly improving their stuff?

ahaha true but still, just watching truck wars as soon as i saw the original thunders i was like woah woah, theeve thieving off thunders original design to the T like damn, they really are thieves especially now hearing their new white bushings are bones knock offs?? i thought they were just a custom bones for theeve
seriously though, theeve looks exactly like the original thunder. compare them everyone. and no puns intended with all the use of �thieve�

from what i heard yes, for the 147 lo cause im thinking they wanna keep up to date with all the trucks sizes since they did a remaster on the 147 hi, 145 hi and lo, then lastly the 149II and now 147 lo since its been so out of date i guess
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1023 on: August 15, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
If they were bones....they'd say it....the good news is they fit better but no way the quality is the same....

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1024 on: August 15, 2016, 10:56:10 PM »
I always thought theeve's looked more like stage 7's:

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1025 on: August 15, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »
If they were bones....they'd say it....the good news is they fit better but no way the quality is the same....

interesting, they took it off info about their trucks too?

aha they do look like stage 7 but comparing the hangar and baseplate i feel theyre more of a og thunder but potato patato cause werent thunders just indys originally then redesigned later to be its own cause ermico
yes

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1026 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
"They" should just consolidate all truck companies into one. Make the different brands be different models: The "lowtwitch", "hightank", "OG", "surf flow" etc..

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1027 on: August 16, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
"They" should just consolidate all truck companies into one. Make the different brands be different models: The "lowtwitch", "hightank", "OG", "surf flow" etc..

Yea. Perhaps it even could be said that they could, like, "Just Do It". 2020 is tomorrow!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1028 on: August 16, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
Yeah Theeve has dropped the TI kingpings from the TIKings (now just hollow grade 8s), can't even buy them anymore and "come standard with Theeve Hardcore Bushings, guess the bones partnership is over.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:35:17 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1029 on: August 16, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
Yeah Theeve has dropped the TI kingpings from the TIKings (now just hollow grade 8s), can't even buy them anymore and "come standard with Theeve Hardcore Bushings, guess the bones partnership is over.

Skatewarehouse says they still have the Ti kingpin.  I think its incorrect on their site, otherwise I don't know how they could justify a $20 price increase for a hollow steel KP

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1030 on: August 16, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skatewarehouse says they still have the Ti kingpin.  I think its incorrect on their site, otherwise I don't know how they could justify a $20 price increase for a hollow steel KP

That stock Skate Warehouse just got of those TiKings is fresh, so their description is definitely incorrect if they claim they have titanium hollow kingpins. After j....soy.... exposing the fake Bones bushings on Theeve's I've now disregarded them as an option. My newest set of Ace's have been treating me very well with Krux bushings so I'm happy.

cleveridiot

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1031 on: August 16, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That stock Skate Warehouse just got of those TiKings is fresh, so their description is definitely incorrect if they claim they have titanium

hollow kingpins. After j....soy.... exposing the fake Bones bushings on Theeve's I've now disregarded them as an option. My newest set of Ace's have been treating me very well with Krux bushings so I'm happy.

Wait, tell me more about how they weren't even using real bones bushings? I didn't know about that

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1032 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That stock Skate Warehouse just got of those TiKings is fresh, so their description is definitely incorrect if they claim they have titanium

hollow kingpins. After j....soy.... exposing the fake Bones bushings on Theeve's I've now disregarded them as an option. My newest set of Ace's have been treating me very well with Krux bushings so I'm happy.
[close]

Wait, tell me more about how they weren't even using real bones bushings? I didn't know about that
They used to carry Bones Mid by default and now they're just plain white. The bushings take harder to break in and don't feel the same.
At least in my experience with the 6.5s on my curb/attempts at Tranny cruiser.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1033 on: August 16, 2016, 10:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Could be old stock; I was referencing Theeves http://www.theevetrucks.com/product/Theeve-TiKing-Raw-Trucks:

"The King

The TiKING boasts the same strength, durability, and dexterity that is Theeve Trucks, only with a hollow steel kingpin. Granted Theeve True Turn Geometry, the TiKING provides for a superior kingpin to hanger ratio, guaranteeing solid truck life, and meaning it grinds probably better than any other truck on the market. Classic cast hanger and baseplate, non-slip 6/4 titanium axle, hollow steel kingpins, hardcore bushings 55mm high to center of axle. Truck royalty."

Bit of a bummer really, but if no ones buying them....clearly the CSX is where they are putting their money (and pro names); guess the 'titanium' angle isn't cutting it for them. Sucks for them, great product that was marred by production issues, just like ACE.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1034 on: August 16, 2016, 10:36:22 PM »

Woah, no wonder they were tweeking a lot, swapped the theeve bushings in my new theeves with Indy conicals and man they surf, but stable surf. I noticed the new kingpins are shorter compared to the old. Only really riding theeve cause I get too hyped on tech trucks. I know they aren't that tech but the slogan and ad and branding of being a titanium truck with blah blah blah has brainwashed me to think they're the best cause the way they turn and how they grind and how much clearance they have on the pin when grinding. It's hard though cause I feel like I'm riding a truck that's just supposed to be an optimized knock off of the best(thunders/indy's) but it's always opinion and preference in the end. I like them so I'll ride them

Seriously though, so crazy when you see the kids or guys that rip so hard and they ride the weirdest trucks/setup just cause they're hyped off skating and skaters they like. For example guys who are so hyped off Daewon and ride tensors or silvers cause of kalis or whoever makes silver cool
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:35 PM »
I still skate tih's...it's shady for sure though.....but we pick apart every truck....so there had to be more wrong with these than the brand....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1036 on: August 17, 2016, 01:59:27 AM »
I still skate tih's...it's shady for sure though.....but we pick apart every truck....so there had to be more wrong with these than the brand....

Ahaha as much as I find out about theeve I still wanna save up for some of those bad boys, theeve tih being the shape of aces but being the strongest lightest trucks cause they're titanium and hollowed out sounds so cool! Like dude, it's the strongest lightest trucks and cause they're titanium they grind so smooth. Supposedly though the new tih v2 has a hangar that grinds smoother than before cause I guess they have a new alloy rather than just straight titanium, they put something in the titanium to make it grind faster basically

My friend has some original tih and they've been lasting him so long but damn cause he rides no bottom washer and fairly loose any cylinder bushing he uses is destroyed in 2 months, gave him a set of my og Indy stage 10 supercush conicals and they seem to hold up cause I guess when swapping bushings it's best to stick to bushings with the shape they were originally designed with

I think Steve mentioned it sometime ago about using Indy aftermarkets in thunders recommending to use conicals since barrels/cylinder tear up or just don't mesh well with the hangars design

Vetty interesting

yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1037 on: August 17, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »
Suffering from axel slip is why I got them,...in theory I proclaimed them as the last truck I'll ever need....when boards got wider Seamus sent me his....for which I should gnar him more often....

It's true about them grinding weird....bushings....I'm borderline one of those people who thinks stock Indy bushings are fine....I think I've replaced them and maybe a pivot....but they seem to work ok....I'm super light too....

They take forever to grind down...the design is cool...not sure if they'd hold up for everyone.....they are lighter too which is something I've gotten used to too.....crazy expensive though.....

i put how a theeve performs in the same class as Indy and Ace....

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1038 on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:03 AM »
Suffering from axel slip is why I got them,...in theory I proclaimed them as the last truck I'll ever need....when boards got wider Seamus sent me his....for which I should gnar him more often....

It's true about them grinding weird....bushings....I'm borderline one of those people who thinks stock Indy bushings are fine....I think I've replaced them and maybe a pivot....but they seem to work ok....I'm super light too....

They take forever to grind down...the design is cool...not sure if they'd hold up for everyone.....they are lighter too which is something I've gotten used to too.....crazy expensive though.....

i too am a fellow patient with axle slip diagnosed since the early days of my trucks' life.
i am riding thunders hollow 149 and axle slip occurred at around 5-10 mins of skating these trucks. now, after about 10 sessions the slip is so bad that it happens even when i don't land primo. totally frustrating and has got me thinking of actually welding the visible part of the axle to the hanger. my job is engineering related but i have absolutely no hands on experience in welding. i just know that it is possible.
has anyone here tried this before or has any experience in welding these two metals together and who could have a say about whatever problems may arise by doing so??? i am specifically worried about warping the truck after the metals have cooled down and also worried that the whole procedure will be a waste of time/trucks because a weld solo could not be enough to endure primos.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:04:55 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1039 on: August 18, 2016, 05:33:58 AM »
gonna try out the max washer limit i can run ( 4 inside, 1 out) and see if that makes up for the extra bulbous nose on my current board

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1040 on: August 18, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »
gonna try out the max washer limit i can run ( 4 inside, 1 out) and see if that makes up for the extra bulbous nose on my current board
godspeed im on 3 now

man just gotta say I love you guys for making this thread so awesome

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1041 on: August 18, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i too am a fellow patient with axle slip diagnosed since the early days of my trucks' life.
i am riding thunders hollow 149 and axle slip occurred at around 5-10 mins of skating these trucks. now, after about 10 sessions the slip is so bad that it happens even when i don't land primo. totally frustrating and has got me thinking of actually welding the visible part of the axle to the hanger. my job is engineering related but i have absolutely no hands on experience in welding. i just know that it is possible.
has anyone here tried this before or has any experience in welding these two metals together and who could have a say about whatever problems may arise by doing so??? i am specifically worried about warping the truck after the metals have cooled down and also worried that the whole procedure will be a waste of time/trucks because a weld solo could not be enough to endure primos.

dude hit up deluxe if youre in the us they will hook you up

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1042 on: August 18, 2016, 07:25:22 AM »

A wide board running with five washers on an Indy truck... is fast and bulbous. Got me?
I never tried riding with anything other than the 3+1 combo. It was nice when I had a wider board, also with a big-ass nose. A 5boro, 8.375 deck with a large nose that I didn't like at all, as it was too much for me. Once I sized down, to a 8.2 deck made of shitty maple, but with a smaller nose, I ditched the two extra washers. I'm riding Crail 149mm trucks, high. But I'm not good enough to have a real opinion, so take this for whatever it's worth (nothing).

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1043 on: August 18, 2016, 07:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
godspeed im on 3 now

man just gotta say I love you guys for making this thread so awesome
why putting 1 out ? just put 5 in, bro !

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1044 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
dude hit up deluxe if youre in the us they will hook you up

i live in Greece. Shipment alone would cost more than the trucks. Also i don't want to wait for a month+ for the product to arrive.
i think i might go ahead and do the weld this weekend.
at the same time though i feel kinda ripped off because this is going to be the second set of defect thunders that i got since february! the first had dodgy pivot holes with broken bottoms that made the pivot cup burst and the pivot to grind against the baseplate and finally wear off. in previews posts i said that i was going to post pictures but never got my lazy ass to do it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:55:01 PM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
[close]

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1045 on: August 18, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
I considered Theeve's once, until I saw that their pro models consist of Sinner and Garrett Hill. I mean really, how good could they be?

Went back to Venture highs. I feel at peace.
you never know about pre-cum 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1046 on: August 18, 2016, 11:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My new theory is getting a bearing with an extended race allows you to crank down your axel nut which should give zero opportunity for axel slip......

There's been some design ideas in this thread to alleviate the slippage.....hopefully companies get better at it....

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: August 19, 2016, 03:15:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My new theory is getting a bearing with an extended race allows you to crank down your axel nut which should give zero opportunity for axel slip......

There's been some design ideas in this thread to alleviate the slippage.....hopefully companies get better at it....

yeah i have been closely following this thread and am a full supporter of a similar theory, using spacers between the two bearings and thus eliminating the space for slip. However, i don't really like the way the wheels spin when they are tightened properly. i always prefer to have around half a mm of play on each wheel so that my board is nice and noisy. since no one has tried this i might give it a go as it seems to be the only possible solution to my problem. i also thought of drilling a tiny pin hole (as has been mentioned previously) but i believe this method has more potential to fuck up my trucks permanently. fucking hate axle slip, its 2016. i'd much rather pay the extra buck to get a truck that doesn't slip and turns properly than to pay for hollow/titanium/B.S. technologies.
Expand Quote
[close]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: August 19, 2016, 01:58:15 PM »
I don't have a lot of faith in trucks coming up with no slip axels....honestly most people don't have this problem.  It has improved but unfortunately it's not good enough and my flip/land ratio is not getting better.....

With the extended race bearings the wheels run loud after you break them in, they sound loose....but no vibration cancels the barking of wheels in slides....and yeah your board sounds like a toy store board.....

It feels like an accomplishment for me because I used to skate in the 80's where your board had t-nuts and tons of parts making it impossible to sound quiet......

Ok....another question......no stores have the krux inverted kingpin and I'm too cheap to pay for shipping....cant I just get one at machine shop?  What's the size? 

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1049 on: August 20, 2016, 06:35:06 AM »
hmm perhaps contact the Greek distributor of Thunder?