Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221021 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1050 on: August 21, 2016, 04:32:01 AM »
finally got away from work and pushed around on my theeves reborn from the v2 days now with some v3 highs and damn. They feel so responsive. I love them.
yes

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1051 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:48 AM »
hmm perhaps contact the Greek distributor of Thunder?

the way i got these trucks is a long story and i'm not sure there even is a Greek distributor of Thunder, things are very fluid over here.
fuck it, just gonna get over it and skate as is because i couldn't even be bothered with the welding thing (got some nice bud and can't get my self around doing anything productive).
and yeah j soy, watching the truck wars episode made me remember how my set up used to look like steve cabs with all the excess gimmicks attached to it!!
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1052 on: August 22, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
Hmm there isn't a euro distro or something that could set you up and just send your defects for you back to the guys at deluxe since they would work with them
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1053 on: August 22, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »
Hmm there isn't a euro distro or something that could set you up and just send your defects for you back to the guys at deluxe since they would work with them

From my experiences they dont do that, or atleast indy or bones didn't, they just telling me that i have to contact directly to us and pay the shipping myself if i wanted to have a new set(live in finland)... I'm always little bit of jealous to you guys living in us, it seems like you can even send your mushy bones bushings to them and get a new set for free 😄
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1054 on: August 22, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
Crazy question, but it's bothering me. Are spacers supposed to get smashed like beer cans after a while? After noticing that one of my wheels stopped having play, I found that its bearing spacer was smashed and compressed. I checked all four wheels, and two of them were all bent. Toe side on back foot, and heel side on front foot, if it makes any sense.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1055 on: August 22, 2016, 07:32:01 AM »
yep it happens to all to them eventually I think, me and many others go without them 

Toydivision

« Reply #1056 on: August 22, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »
I'm skating Thunder 149 hi's, the bushings are totally munched up and exploding inside out. I've been skating bones medium in them but they don't seem to work well or last long. Are there any good bushings specific to Thunder hi's or are bones the best?

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1057 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:55 PM »
I'm skating Thunder 149 hi's, the bushings are totally munched up and exploding inside out. I've been skating bones medium in them but they don't seem to work well or last long. Are there any good bushings specific to Thunder hi's or are bones the best?
The conical Indy's work well. Thunder brand aftermarkets are harder to find but I'm pretty sure Tactics has them in 90,95, and 100a.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #1058 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »

Do you use any washers?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1059 on: August 24, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »
Thunder bushings fit the best (duh) but to me they don't have enough rebound, they feel sort of slow and sloppy when loose.

Even with bones you have to use the bottom washers to match height of the stock bushings if you want to maintain stock geo (if that matters to you, tons of people don't bother.

My preference are the red 88a conical Indy aftermarkets + a washer (the thin bones washer is perfect); I posted a pic of it in this thread a few pages back or so.

I just switched back to the team plates using the same bushings/krux pin and it feels fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:00:52 PM by Xen »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1060 on: August 24, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »
couldn't get back into the Thunders. 

so, back on the Indy 149 program (some olders Reynolds hollow kingpin/hangar with the regular baseplate I'd been skating for a year or so)...this time with the orange indy aftermarkets.
hardly art, hardly starving

Randozzi

« Reply #1061 on: August 24, 2016, 12:17:15 PM »
Really digging the orange conical aftermarket Indy bushings I have in my 149s, good stuff.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1062 on: August 24, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »
Really digging the orange conical aftermarket Indy bushings I have in my 139s, good stuff.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1063 on: August 24, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
Outside of Khiro conical, I really like those Creature 94A bushings, which are basically NHS/Indy anyway, just colored green. I also use small washers with them (top/bottom) instead of one small/top and one big/bottom.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1064 on: August 24, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
what's the difference with a smaller washer on the bottom?  very curious

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1065 on: August 24, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »

Nothing really. Just OCD. I got so used to those conicals with the metal insert that when I skated 'normal' bushings (without the metal insert) I just tried to replicate the look. It's really just an OCD thing.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1066 on: August 24, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing really. Just OCD. I got so used to those conicals with the metal insert that when I skated 'normal' bushings (without the metal insert) I just tried to replicate the look. It's really just an OCD thing.

oh, I get it.

we're all a little bit crazy

Seal - Crazy

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1067 on: August 24, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
couldn't get back into the Thunders. 

so, back on the Indy 149 program (some olders Reynolds hollow kingpin/hangar with the regular baseplate I'd been skating for a year or so)...this time with the orange indy aftermarkets.

Just curious (I can't decided between the two for my next trucks), what were the main things that made you drop the thunder and go back to indy?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1068 on: August 24, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
Unless you're a slash dog, you guys are fuckkng up not considering Ventures. I hemmed and hawed about trucks for a solid 2 years and couldn't get comfortable on Stage 11s (10s were great imo) or Thunders. Back on ventures, threw in the Indy 92(blue) bushings, don't want to ride anything else.
you never know about pre-cum 

Toydivision

« Reply #1069 on: August 24, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you use any washers?

no washer on bottom, the small washer that comes with the bushings on top.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1070 on: August 24, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
Unless you're a slash dog, you guys are fuckkng up not considering Ventures. I hemmed and hawed about trucks for a solid 2 years and couldn't get comfortable on Stage 11s (10s were great imo) or Thunders. Back on ventures, threw in the Indy 92(blue) bushings, don't want to ride anything else.

Are they as stable as people say? I could probably get down with some ventures.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1071 on: August 24, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

Brother you are going to think I am insane, but I've been rotating a set of Tensor Mag Lite HI into the mix and they are REALLY good trucks. I have zero reason to get on here and hype up Tensors out of the blue but I was really surprised in the most positive way possible. Known for being tech trucks, they turn beautifully and ironically enough, are actually taller than Thunder 149 HI.

I want to put some more time on them before I go crazy with praise but so far I've been impressed.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1072 on: August 24, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »
Man you truck hounds down in the states should start a truck library service or something like that, maybe thats a weird idea, but it would awesome to hear your guys thoughts on like every truck/bushing out there without you having to pay for ones you might not like, on like a 2 week rotation or something,I would love to nerd out on that and I don't think I am alone.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1073 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
Thunder bushings fit the best (duh) but to me they don't have enough rebound, they feel sort of slow and sloppy when loose.

Even with bones you have to use the bottom washers to match height of the stock bushings if you want to maintain stock geo (if that matters to you, tons of people don't bother.

My preference are the red 88a conical Indy aftermarkets + a washer (the thin bones washer is perfect); I posted a pic of it in this thread a few pages back or so.

I just switched back to the team plates using the same bushings/krux pin and it feels fantastic.

i was riding thunders for years with bones bushings and id always end up with a messed up pivot cup. rode  em with the thunder aftermarkets and it never happened again.

i was on the indy 88s but they were too soft. the 90 conicals are perfect for me on indys
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1074 on: August 24, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Zimmer- Yeah man, they're really stable, take a little more to turn, but the do turn. I ride them washer flush. 

Heritage- I don't doubt it! I'd be down to try a set. I almost won a set of new mag lights on ebay a couple of weeks ago but got snaked at the last second. I've seen kids at the park ripping the bowl in Tensors... Shit, one kid was destroying it on a set of Silvers.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1075 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
Man you truck hounds down in the states should start a truck library service or something like that, maybe thats a weird idea, but it would awesome to hear your guys thoughts on like every truck/bushing out there without you having to pay for ones you might not like, on like a 2 week rotation or something,I would love to nerd out on that and I don't think I am alone.

Haha, this thread is like AA for truck nerds. I've yet to meet someone in real life that nerds out on trucks like me, only on here. It's lame how so many truck companies have been putting garbage stock bushings in their trucks for so long and most skaters pay no attention to it. Bushings are the key to a trucks performance. Period. If you have some shitty bushings, or ones that are not the correct height, you're paying around $40-$50 for a set of trucks that are working improperly and run the risk of breaking faster. If trucks are designed to last long enough to do a fuckton of grinds, why not include some bushings with some good rebound and a durometer that's not as soft as playdoh?

There's this local dude at the park who could easily be am, if not pro, and he's been skating hand-me-downs for as long as I've known him. Old stages of Indy's with obliterated bushings and pivot cups that look like they were fished from a landfill. Chipped up and no concave boards, flatspot infested wheels, rusted bearings. Dude doesn't give a fuck...I tip my fedora to him.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
« Reply #1076 on: August 24, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, this thread is like AA for truck nerds. I've yet to meet someone in real life that nerds out on trucks like me, only on here. It's lame how so many truck companies have been putting garbage stock bushings in their trucks for so long and most skaters pay no attention to it. Bushings are the key to a trucks performance. Period. If you have some shitty bushings, or ones that are not the correct height, you're paying around $40-$50 for a set of trucks that are working improperly and run the risk of breaking faster. If trucks are designed to last long enough to do a fuckton of grinds, why not include some bushings with some good rebound and a durometer that's not as soft as playdoh?

There's this local dude at the park who could easily be am, if not pro, and he's been skating hand-me-downs for as long as I've known him. Old stages of Indy's with obliterated bushings and pivot cups that look like they were fished from a landfill. Chipped up and no concave boards, flatspot infested wheels, rusted bearings. Dude doesn't give a fuck...I tip my fedora to him.
Most trucks bought don't get skated, buyers are usually parents for their kids. People would freak if Indy changed their stock bushings, don't forget most buyers aren't 6 foot 180. Using soft bushings may not be everyone but they are always skateable. Harder stock bushings would need instant replacing more often, indys are used for more than just street skating.

There is obviously a market for bushings too look at Khiro and Thunder with all their replacement packs. My problem is people think bones bushings are actually good, they're like a shitstain on a great brand.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1077 on: August 24, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
aha yeah this thread is the only place i can find others to talk and relate about trucks with, all or most of my friends just dont care what they ride. theyre just like, this is what i like or have been riding forever so im gonna just stick to it, no opinion on what they ride what so ever.

sorry for being that guy, but guys...after riding most of the best trucks except venture hi and aces(ive stepped on a friends board with aces though) my decision in the end even though i have mentioned it a page back or so. theeves. trust me they have improved. i have been riding my new v3ś for the last week and damn, they are good trucks. ive skated thunder 147 hi, 149, indy stage 11 139, 149, krux 4.0 talls, 5.0 talls and they all had their ups and sadly downs but theeves. they turn quick like thunders but they actually stay turning and carve deep in a circle like indys. and even though the website says 55mm tall theyre actually about a thunder 147 hi height maybe a little taller cause i guess the angle of the hangar and cause of the height you dont feel so unstably hi like indys 55mm

to wrap up what i said about theeve incase you guys want to know how they feel and ride.
-quick turn and response
-deep turn
-stable height
-somewhat light
-grinds so so but the clearance is outstanding, messed up getting into a 50 and the kingpin somehow didnt get scratched at all
-the hole placement though i cant confirm yet if its a good thing or bad thing because i feel it kinda shortens the wheel base but i like that and i noticed getting into nose and tailslides didnt easily lock into the baseplate so that might be off for some
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1078 on: August 25, 2016, 02:08:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Brother you are going to think I am insane, but I've been rotating a set of Tensor Mag Lite HI into the mix and they are REALLY good trucks. I have zero reason to get on here and hype up Tensors out of the blue but I was really surprised in the most positive way possible. Known for being tech trucks, they turn beautifully and ironically enough, are actually taller than Thunder 149 HI.

I want to put some more time on them before I go crazy with praise but so far I've been impressed.

my mate got a set of tensors mag lite (lows though) after going through a set of thunders 149 high. the comparison in height is similar (tensor low = thunder high) and he only had good things to say. What impressed me the most was that his board felt like there were no trucks attached. crazy stuff. he set them with doh dohs and the board felt great.
too bad the metal chewed like fuck and after every grind there were debri around the ledge that looked like someone had just sharpened a metal pencil. trucks lasted about a month but my mate mostly does grinds and flat ground tricks
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
« Reply #1079 on: August 25, 2016, 02:12:17 AM »
Theeve got outed for false claims with their titanium. Shops don't carry them here but i always wanted to try em.