Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220659 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1080 on: August 25, 2016, 07:53:13 AM »
so for the krux-bushings-in-aces people, do you keep both washers on as well? or do you remove one or both of them?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1081 on: August 25, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
couldn't get back into the Thunders. 

so, back on the Indy 149 program (some olders Reynolds hollow kingpin/hangar with the regular baseplate I'd been skating for a year or so)...this time with the orange indy aftermarkets.
[close]

Just curious (I can't decided between the two for my next trucks), what were the main things that made you drop the thunder and go back to indy?

familiarity.  the set of indys are trucks id been skating for a year or so.  I put on the Thunders and thought, "do I want to have to break these in?" ... my answer was "no".

also, I actually like the weight of Indys.  it's just feels weird when the board is so light.
hardly art, hardly starving

Zimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
« Reply #1082 on: August 25, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
couldn't get back into the Thunders.� 

so, back on the Indy 149 program (some olders Reynolds hollow kingpin/hangar with the regular baseplate I'd been skating for a year or so)...this time with the orange indy aftermarkets.
[close]

Just curious (I can't decided between the two for my next trucks), what were the main things that made you drop the thunder and go back to indy?
[close]

familiarity.  the set of indys are trucks id been skating for a year or so.  I put on the Thunders and thought, "do I want to have to break these in?" ... my answer was "no".

also, I actually like the weight of Indys.  it's just feels weird when the board is so light.

Makes sense! So many trucks, so little money..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1083 on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »
so for the krux-bushings-in-aces people, do you keep both washers on as well? or do you remove one or both of them?

I use both washers, well the bottom anyway as I use the Krux downlow kingpins.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1084 on: August 25, 2016, 08:43:21 PM »
Pretty bummed on my truck situation atm, noticed my board was sounding weird yesterday took off the hanger this morning to find the kingpin on one of my Thunder 147's was loose, hammered it back in, only to find that its loose again after skating today. Has anyone ever successfully fixed this or is my shit totally fucked, had the same problem with indy's before and never was able to fix it.  :'(

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1085 on: August 25, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »
Anyone try forged base plates with a normal solid kingpin? I think most forged bp's come strictly with hollow kingpins.

I prefer the denser vibration feel of solid kingpins under my feet (where as the hollow type feel opposite and rattly), but the forged bp's feel pretty good on their own. I've been wanting to try to install normal kp's into the forged ones. Not sure how it'd be though.

N.L.

« Reply #1086 on: August 27, 2016, 03:35:58 PM »
Truck nerds I need some help. I can't decide what trucks to mount on this beauty. Board is 8.8" at its widest and tapers to 8.25". I told myself I'd never get one of these tapered Polar shapes again as the drastic taper makes truck choice tricky but this one really called out to me. My choices are Ace 44/55, Indy 149/ 159 or Thunder 151? I'm leaving towards Indy 149s with 56mm conical wide F4s.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1087 on: August 27, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »
Yeah, anything 149 brotha.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #1088 on: August 27, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »
What size decks do you plan on riding in the future?  Do you usually skate 8.5's?  Or do you see yourself dipping back to an 8.25?  That should dictate it unless you are ok w. multiple set ups....

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1089 on: August 27, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
Yeah, anything 149 brotha.

This. If you go bigger, the nose might be spot on, but the back truck will stick out like a mofo.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1090 on: August 27, 2016, 10:35:19 PM »
Just broke in my Independents perfectly and they got a axel slip  >:( >:( >:(
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

N.L.

« Reply #1091 on: August 27, 2016, 10:58:59 PM »
149s with wide wheels it is. 44s and 55s just won't work on this set up.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #1092 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:34 AM »
Pretty bummed on my truck situation atm, noticed my board was sounding weird yesterday took off the hanger this morning to find the kingpin on one of my Thunder 147's was loose, hammered it back in, only to find that its loose again after skating today. Has anyone ever successfully fixed this or is my shit totally fucked, had the same problem with indy's before and never was able to fix it.  :'(

Email me please, [email protected]  8)

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1093 on: August 29, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Email me please, [email protected]  8)
Cheers!, already on a new set of 149's hi's and they are awesome!, I think the problems I have with pivot cups and kingpins is from not using a bottom washer and riding my trucks quite loose(wobbly)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1094 on: August 29, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »
I have a cruiser with solid stage 10 129s. I love the way they turn. My popsicle has hollow stage 11 reynolds 139s, but I don't like the feeling of them as much.

Anyone else prefer solids?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1095 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »
I have a cruiser with solid stage 10 129s. I love the way they turn. My popsicle has hollow stage 11 reynolds 139s, but I don't like the feeling of them as much.

i do, cant skate forged or thin baseplates. i need that super solid meaty gravity cast standard baseplate and solid whole truck feel. i know the guy who did the truck reviews on skateboardingismylifetime feels the same when i was reading his review on forged indy hollows, forged take away this solid heavy feeling you want for more board feel. i guess you could get use to it but just having a solid truck is like that whole driving stick with clutch rather than the new sterring wheel pedal shifters. or maybe its like skating a regular solid 7 ply deck compared to something freaky like the mullen uber light, never had one but i assume that hollow inside with Styrofoam insert or whatever would throw you off cause its lighter and missing the solid one piece feel

side note, has anyone tried destructos? both the D1 and D2 and the Proś of any of the sort? gonna get a pair of D2 soon to try and wanted to know if anyone has had a set and opinon/review

they look really nice and solid and i noticed for some reason the bushngs and shape is different on the D1 and D2

the 1ś have hard looking cylinder bushings and are high for a mid

the 2ś look more like a mid and come with conical bushings, but the 2 pros come with this bones bushing copycat

also thinking of getting some fury, industrial and tensors to try before the year ends.

ive already got and skated all the thunders(all of them in every size except 145 hi and 151) indy stage 11 139 hi and low and 149 hi, theeve hi and lo, venture lo, silver m class, mini logos, royal IV and the new ones, krux tall 4.0 and 5.0 and the downlows, ive stepped on a few friends setups with aces and they feel solid and carvy but theyre too loose for me so i knew i shouldnt get them cause i cant ride like surfers

i just cant get enough trucks, so far i love the way my theeves are but im still hunching to find what would spruce my skating to its top.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:39:06 PM by rob »
yes

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1096 on: August 30, 2016, 07:17:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i do, cant skate forged or thin baseplates. i need that super solid meaty gravity cast standard baseplate and solid whole truck feel. i know the guy who did the truck reviews on skateboardingismylifetime feels the same when i was reading his review on forged indy hollows, forged take away this solid heavy feeling you want for more board feel. i guess you could get use to it but just having a solid truck is like that whole driving stick with clutch rather than the new sterring wheel pedal shifters. or maybe its like skating a regular solid 7 ply deck compared to something freaky like the mullen uber light, never had one but i assume that hollow inside with Styrofoam insert or whatever would throw you off cause its lighter and missing the solid one piece feel

the reynolds are cast but have hollow kingpins and axles.

I agree solid indys skate better even though they're heavier. there's more control when you're skating whereas with hollow trucks the board gets flung around too easily or something. it's hard to describe. and the solid ones turn more surfy when they're broken in.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1097 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
I find the hollow everything is the culprit to the 'weird feeling', at least with Thunders and especially coupled with ti hangers (sooo light tho :))

Ti Thunder hangers (light) + team plate (height) + Krux kingpin (clearance and weight offset of stock teams with solid king) + Indy 88a conicals w/ a flat bottom washer = a stellar combo (lots effort and $$ to get there tho). FWIW that combo is the same weight as Indy Tis with bones bushings.

I'd wager the Reynolds plates/pins with the TI indy hanger would be a great combo as well. Sort of right in the middle.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1098 on: August 30, 2016, 10:19:08 PM »
Ti Thunder hangers (light) + team plate (height) + Krux kingpin (clearance and weight offset of stock teams with solid king) + Indy 88a conicals w/ a flat bottom washer = a stellar combo (lots effort and $$ to get there tho).

Fuck man :o I think you should see a doctor or something

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1099 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:21 AM »
Christ Xen, thats like a skateboarding recipe, but i admire that level of commitment to finding the right truck

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1100 on: August 31, 2016, 03:44:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Ti Thunder hangers (light) + team plate (height) + Krux kingpin (clearance and weight offset of stock teams with solid king) + Indy 88a conicals w/ a flat bottom washer = a stellar combo (lots effort and $$ to get there tho).
[close]

Fuck man :o I think you should see a doctor or something
don't forget to check your pivot cups, dude !

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1101 on: August 31, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »
I find the hollow everything is the culprit to the 'weird feeling', at least with Thunders and especially coupled with ti hangers (sooo light tho :))

Ti Thunder hangers (light) + team plate (height) + Krux kingpin (clearance and weight offset of stock teams with solid king) + Indy 88a conicals w/ a flat bottom washer = a stellar combo (lots effort and $$ to get there tho). FWIW that combo is the same weight as Indy Tis with bones bushings.

I'd wager the Reynolds plates/pins with the TI indy hanger would be a great combo as well. Sort of right in the middle.
+1 you're the man!

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1102 on: August 31, 2016, 06:27:07 AM »

ha.  that's exactly what I just set up. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1103 on: August 31, 2016, 09:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wouldn't that be he same height as a standard Indy though? That's my problem with 11s.
you never know about pre-cum 

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1104 on: August 31, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »
never had issues with the 11s height...10s feels too low now, on my chill set-up...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1105 on: August 31, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wouldn't that be he same height as a standard Indy though? That's my problem with 11s.

i feel you with truck height problems but all in all id still choose gravity cast over thin/forged baseplates, the height might be something to deal with but the feel of flimsy weak light trucks throws me off harder. its weird you can feel how flimsy forged/thin baseplates are when you pop and land, its just not solid. like a punch with and without gloves or something like that.
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1106 on: September 01, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
took the extra washers(speed rings) off my 149 team hi's and holy shit, it feels amazing with my 8.3 and classic f4's, also lost the risers with the added height, using the rebuild kit bushings(100a I think) I got in the winter which are still going strong, no bottom washer, really stoked on my ride atm

Mongoloid

« Reply #1107 on: September 01, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
Giving the Ace 03 a second chance this weekend, but this time they are entirely bastardized.

I purchased Magnesium baseplates, and 95a Doh Doh's that I had to sand down to fit the Ace bushing size. I'll report back with my findings after proper demoing.

*also Khiro small pivot cups, as any company using hard plastic cups (minilogo) is doing it wrong*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:37:22 PM by Mongoloid »

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1108 on: September 01, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
Giving the Ace 03 a second chance this weekend, but this time they are entirely bastardized.

I purchased Magnesium baseplates, and 95a Doh Doh's that I had to sand down to fit the Ace bushing size. I'll report back with my findings after proper demoing.

*also Khiro small pivot cups, as any company using hard plastic cups (minilogo) is doing it wrong*

Where did you buy your mag plates?

Mongoloid

« Reply #1109 on: September 01, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where did you buy your mag plates?

I managed to find a set on strange-house.net. I think I purchased the second to last set.