Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220816 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1110 on: September 01, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Giving the Ace 03 a second chance this weekend, but this time they are entirely bastardized.

I purchased Magnesium baseplates, and 95a Doh Doh's that I had to sand down to fit the Ace bushing size. I'll report back with my findings after proper demoing.

*also Khiro small pivot cups, as any company using hard plastic cups (minilogo) is doing it wrong*
[close]

Where did you buy your mag plates?
[close]

I managed to find a set on strange-house.net. I think I purchased the second to last set.

Damn, if only I knew sooner they probably had hi mag plates. Thanks though, cheers!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1111 on: September 01, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Giving the Ace 03 a second chance this weekend, but this time they are entirely bastardized.
What was wrong with them the first time round? Thinking of trying out a pair of stock ones on my next setup...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mongoloid

« Reply #1112 on: September 01, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What was wrong with them the first time round? Thinking of trying out a pair of stock ones on my next setup...

What was wrong with them was probably more a matter of what was wrong with me. I couldn't find my center as far popping the board, going from thunders to ace. It felt as if  I had absolutely no control whatsoever. This really only applies to my street setup though, as I happily rock Ace's on my transition setup.

When I was a spring chicken with ridiculous board control I could swap between any component and skate exactly the same. I swear my sub conscious still functions off that mindset, but the elder body does not.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1113 on: September 01, 2016, 10:44:37 PM »
Funny....I do the exact opposite.....kinda....ACEs on street cause they are super fun riding looser....and thunders on my ramp set up..... Gives a longer wheelbase and I ride tighter trucks.....thunders make sense to me if you aren't carving.....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1114 on: September 02, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ti Thunder hangers (light) + team plate (height) + Krux kingpin (clearance and weight offset of stock teams with solid king) + Indy 88a conicals w/ a flat bottom washer = a stellar combo (lots effort and $$ to get there tho).
[close]

Fuck man :o I think you should see a doctor or something
[close]
don't forget to check your pivot cups, dude !

Khiro small softs mang!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1115 on: September 02, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ti Thunder hangers (light) + team plate (height) + Krux kingpin (clearance and weight offset of stock teams with solid king) + Indy 88a conicals w/ a flat bottom washer = a stellar combo (lots effort and $$ to get there tho).
[close]

Fuck man :o I think you should see a doctor or something
[close]
don't forget to check your pivot cups, dude !
[close]

Khiro small softs mang!

soft ? huh
had a bad experience with soft pivot cups(not khiro), trucks turning like shit, and finally got a hole in each after one session
bought some indy aftermarkets and they are way better than stock ones, as the bushings...

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1116 on: September 02, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
Are Indy Stage 10 baseplates lower than Stage 11s? I know the Stage 10 height standard was 53.5 but idunno if the extra height is in the baseplate or the hanger.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1117 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »
Are Indy Stage 10 baseplates lower than Stage 11s? I know the Stage 10 height standard was 53.5 but idunno if the extra height is in the baseplate or the hanger.

It's the hangar, stage 11 weren't anything but an extension to the pivot stem
yes

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #1118 on: September 06, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »

my bullshit/cruiser Indy's cracked all the way through on both sides... should i worry about switching them out since it's it not my main board?

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1119 on: September 06, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »

my bullshit/cruiser Indy's cracked all the way through on both sides... should i worry about switching them out since it's it not my main board?
I wouldn't skate a truck cracked that bad. If you send it to nhs they'll hook you up with a new set.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1120 on: September 06, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
Even on a crusier/bullshit board, if that thing snaps.. you're gonna have a bad time, you know?

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1121 on: September 12, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I wouldn't skate a truck cracked that bad. If you send it to nhs they'll hook you up with a new set.

have a great session with the remaining 3 minutes those trucks have

Mongoloid

« Reply #1122 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:43 PM »

I purchased Magnesium baseplates, and 95a Doh Doh's that I had to sand down to fit the Ace bushing size. I'll report back with my findings after proper demoing.

*also Khiro small pivot cups, as any company using hard plastic cups (minilogo) is doing it wrong*

Ok.. So I have a couple sessions under my belt with my modified Ace 03's, and I gotta say for the first time since I started skating again I think I've found my ideal truck setup.

It isn't exactly cheap all things considered, but it's what works for me. I feel a comfort level much akin to what I felt riding Krux exclusively in my younger years skating. Really digging the setup!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1123 on: September 12, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok.. So I have a couple sessions under my belt with my modified Ace 03's, and I gotta say for the first time since I started skating again I think I've found my ideal truck setup.

It isn't exactly cheap all things considered, but it's what works for me. I feel a comfort level much akin to what I felt riding Krux exclusively in my younger years skating. Really digging the setup!

Once you get ACE's dialed in it's fucking hard to go back to anything else... Thunders feel like they just tilt, indys feel unstable (of all things!)...don't get to used to those mag plates...stock up if you can find more, I wish I had picked up a number of sets back then...

I skated a pair of 03s years ago, skated them finger tight (then just a 1/4 wrech turn) with bones HARD bushings...totally odd setup but loved'em.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1124 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
I'm always perplexed how people compare Ace's to thunders......

N.L.

« Reply #1125 on: September 13, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
The timing on Ace and Thunder is very different on the 'pop. ' Both great trucks but probably suit different people.

Thunder=Stable but initiate turns super quick. Very responsive. Pop feels a bit delayed, even though they are lower, could be due to kingpin angle...
Indy=get a little out of control at speed. Slower but deeper turn.
Ace=Quick but also deep turn. Respond great at slower speeds and seem to get more stable at speed. Ace and Indy seem to react to ollies in the same way... Might be a bit quicker with Ace as they sit lower.

I rotate between all these trucks and it probably doesn't help my skateboarding.

This is completely subjective and I'm procrastinating a data project at work, so take it a grain of salt....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1126 on: September 13, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »
Aces shrink your wheel base....thunders extend them.....Totally different trucks....I think in the spectrum of popular trucks excluding lows and hi's: ACE, Indy, thunder, venture......

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1127 on: September 14, 2016, 02:31:51 AM »
indy 149 with indy aftermarket black cilinder bushings is the truth, noble experiment was right ! I tried some that i broken in previously on my chill set up, perfect for me, nuts on flush haha
blue ones should be great on 139's
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:53:32 AM by the snake »

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1128 on: September 15, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »
So I've been curious about trying out some Ventures lately. From what I've heard they seem pretty similar to Thunders, but I'm wondering if there's any major differences between the two other than how fast they turn? I'm mainly curious about the timing on ollies and how much contact the wheels make during nose/tailslides. Those are my only issues with Thunder. I recently went back to Ace and I personally love them, but I've also been wanting to get another setup going for when I'm feeling something different. I'd also be getting the 5.8's if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:11:58 PM by GOATMOON »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1129 on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »
So I've been curious about trying out some Ventures lately. From what I've heard they seem pretty similar to Thunders, but I'm wondering if there's any major differences between the two other than how fast they turn? I'm mainly curious about the timing on ollies and how much contact the wheels make during nose/tailslides. Those are my only issues with Thunder. I recently went back to Ace and I personally love them, but I've also been wanting to get another setup going for when I'm feeling something different. I'd also be getting the 5.8's if that makes any difference.
Definitely not similar, more like exact opposite side of spectrum. They're the same quality metal but they turn less because they are really stable. They do have a lot of clearance and someone has said they help flip better. 
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1130 on: September 16, 2016, 12:48:38 AM »

They're a tiny bit taller than thunders, don't turn as quick, and the baseplate sticks out beyond the wheels so if you were worried about wheel contact on slides it would be less I guess... The hangar is pretty much directly over the holes. The stock bushings are kind of shitty, but indy's fit perfectly so you have options.
you never know about pre-cum 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1131 on: September 16, 2016, 02:27:47 AM »
I agree with dwarf

Ventures turn kinda slow and idk about anyone else but my venture lo were too grounded feeling , sorta like a water logged deck kinda feeling. But that's just me.

Thunder hi are truly a good mid truck to me, they're quick on the turn and response and give this nice pop but the only problem is that they lack a nice surfy deep turn. I have to ride without bottom washers to almost get it that way.

Dang you guys are getting me interested in aces, I know I can't ride tall trucks well so Ima try to cop some 03 too
yes

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1132 on: September 16, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »
If aces used a harder aluminum for the hangers and tightened up quality control they'd be pretty class.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1133 on: September 16, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
Venture Highs have the highest axle, period. I really like the way they turn but you definitely have a longer distance for your tail to travel before it hits the ground. I feel like they suck for flip tricks but then again, I suck at flip tricks so it could be that, or riding bigger wheels, who knows.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1134 on: September 17, 2016, 11:23:14 PM »
I was taking apart all my set ups today...switching out the bearings and I noticed how the washers varied......the ones I think that work the best are as small as possible so they just fit on the axel....but they are also thick so they give clearance from the nut to the race.....

Do different companies make washers?  I remember the frog washers which were convex...idea was less contact between the nut and bearing....

Nerdy stuff.....fall setting in...

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1135 on: September 18, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
I was taking apart all my set ups today...switching out the bearings and I noticed how the washers varied......the ones I think that work the best are as small as possible so they just fit on the axel....but they are also thick so they give clearance from the nut to the race.....

Do different companies make washers?  I remember the frog washers which were convex...idea was less contact between the nut and bearing....

Nerdy stuff.....fall setting in...

I had a guy voraciously debate whether the rounded side or the flat side of the speed washer was was supposed to contact the bearing race...

Main

« Reply #1136 on: September 18, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
No one answered me in the Ace thread, anyone have feedback on hard vs soft Khiro pivot cups in Ace's? I'm 220lbs so I'm not sure if softs will wear out as quickly as Ace stocks, or if the hards will last longer but restrict the turning.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:21:17 AM by Main »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1137 on: September 18, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
go medium !

Main

« Reply #1138 on: September 18, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »
go medium !

Khiro's come in soft or hard pivot cups. Not mediums.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1139 on: September 18, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
Been hyped on footage from guys on Venture so I set mine up again. Slapped some of the conical orange indy bushings.
Can't seem to form tre flips in them (switching from thunders) anyone else have this problem too?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.