Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220999 times)

vancanman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1140 on: September 18, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »
As said before. Thunders move the axle out towards the nose and tail making u have to push down farther to pop your board. It's not as big a difference as it could be because the trucks are lower. 52.8mm vs 55mm for indys at the axle. Ventures aren't the highest. The tallest ones are 53.5. The same height as the stage 10 indys or the forged baseplate stage 11s. I had a set of standard Indy 149's with stock bushings with no baseplate washer that I've skated for almost a year with no complaints other than replacing three sets of pivot cups and a few sets of bushings. I needed new trucks and usually buy 8.62-8.75 boards so I just got a set of thunder 151's to move up in size and try something new. So far so good. Pops different and I get a little more wheel bite but overall I like them.  

Edit. I just measured the wheel base axle to axle on two identical boards, one with indys .One with thunders. The thunders stretch the wheel base by over three quarters of an inch or 20mm. Didn't realize it was that big a difference.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:00:37 PM by vancanman »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1141 on: September 18, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »
i started riding thunders in 2010 and they work perfect for me. the 147 hi's. i recently went back to indy hi's and couldn't get used to em so i just got a set of thunders again. threw the aftermarket 92 duro's in em. perfect

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1142 on: September 18, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
Expand Quote
go medium !
[close]

Khiro's come in soft or hard pivot cups. Not mediums.
i know dude, was just kidding
i'd say go hard, cause i had bad experience with soft (non khiro) pivot cups who were blown away after one sesh, and trucks didn't turn well with these soft shit...hard will feel more solid and precise, even ik you have to break them at first 

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1143 on: September 18, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
go medium !
[close]

Khiro's come in soft or hard pivot cups. Not mediums.
[close]
i know dude, was just kidding
i'd say go hard, cause i had bad experience with soft (non khiro) pivot cups who were blown away after one sesh, and trucks didn't turn well with these soft shit...hard will feel more solid and precise, even ik you have to break them at first 

Haha, gotcha. Well thanks man, I think I'll just end up gettin' both and experimenting. They're only like $3 a set.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1144 on: September 20, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
I've always used Khiro softs, they just feel right in Indy/ACE, really nice surfy feel. Never tried hards.

Main

« Reply #1145 on: September 20, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
I've always used Khiro softs, they just feel right in Indy/ACE, really nice surfy feel. Never tried hards.

Are they squeaky?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1146 on: September 20, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are they squeaky?

Not at all.

Mongoloid

« Reply #1147 on: September 20, 2016, 07:27:13 PM »
I haven't noticed any sort of squeek from the soft pivot cups personally. Only sounds I've ever really noticed on any of my truck setups were riding bones bushings, and they would make a strange clicking sound.

I'd be hesitant to give hard pivot cups a try just on the basis that once they wear out they don't have any rebound. So you essentially will have your pivot sitting in a chasm. Most "hard" pivot cups are just plastic really (at least in my recent experience).

Main

« Reply #1148 on: September 20, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Doesn't Khiro small pivots still kinda stick out and not fit properly though?

Mongoloid

« Reply #1149 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »

Nah, they fit like stock pivot cups honestly.

Main

« Reply #1150 on: September 21, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1151 on: September 21, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How much extra bullshit do you need to add to aces to actually dial them in?
you never know about pre-cum 

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1152 on: September 21, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
The key to getting aces perfect is throwing them in the dumpster then buying Indys. Then you'll be set.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Main

« Reply #1153 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
Taking out stock bushings and putting in aftermarkets isn't hard. Pivots aren't either if you have needle nose pliers. Indy's are still great trucks, Ace just perform better.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #1154 on: September 21, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is a good question. I'm still using that set I bought from you a while back. The bushings are too hard and they take extra effort to turn. Also the axles bent slightly. I've lightly sanded the bushings and they feel a bit looser. They're close to the axle though, not much more of this bullshit.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1155 on: September 21, 2016, 10:37:18 PM »
So every so often I try a different truck brand but I always end up switching back to Indys. Anyway, I've been using bones medium bushings for the last 5 years AT LEAST but and have always used top washer only.

However, I have been told that by not using a bottom washer with the bones it fucks with the geometry of the truck?

So... for Indy highs with bones bushings, would you recommend top washer only or top and bottom washer?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1156 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:25 PM »
Everyone's gonna tell you not to use bones bushings,,...

Main

« Reply #1157 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »
So every so often I try a different truck brand but I always end up switching back to Indys. Anyway, I've been using bones medium bushings for the last 5 years AT LEAST but and have always used top washer only.

However, I have been told that by not using a bottom washer with the bones it fucks with the geometry of the truck?

So... for Indy highs with bones bushings, would you recommend top washer only or top and bottom washer?

Bones in Indy Hi's should be used without a bottom washer. The bushings sit too tall if you put a washer under it. Top washer is good if you wanna preserve the bushing longer but you don't even need to use a top one either.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1158 on: September 21, 2016, 11:34:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bones in Indy Hi's should be used without a bottom washer. The bushings sit too tall if you put a washer under it. Top washer is good if you wanna preserve the bushing longer but you don't even need to use a top one either.

Thanks man. I'll just keep rocking the top washer only!

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #1159 on: September 22, 2016, 07:31:40 AM »
Idk what everyone is on about Aces. My stock Aces performed way better than my Indies w/bones med. right out of the box. Also, they appear bent because of the construction, but they aren't.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1160 on: September 22, 2016, 08:02:30 AM »
Once I held 3 different pairs of brand new ace trucks in my had that all had the same size axles but slightly different sized hangers, I was done with them for good. 

Not to mention you have to switch out everything on the truck except the metal to get them skate decent.  Once you do that, the kingpins will fall out in a few weeks.  No thanks

Mongoloid

« Reply #1161 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
Once I held 3 different pairs of brand new ace trucks in my had that all had the same size axles but slightly different sized hangers, I was done with them for good.  

Not to mention you have to switch out everything on the truck except the metal to get them skate decent.  Once you do that, the kingpins will fall out in a few weeks.  No thanks

That's the only concern I really have. I'm not exactly doing high impact skating, but I still worry about this as I'm quite heavy on the board.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1162 on: September 22, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
Aha dang, nvm on the Aces then.

After 3 weeks of the theeve tiax standard hi I stepped back to the good ole thunder 147hi and I definitely prefer trucks 47-51mm height, the quickness of the tail hitting the ground is just more my style.

Has anyone tried Destructo D2's ?? I really want a set but there's not much feedback anywhere on them. I feel like they're supposed to be a thunder hi copy cat with its height and conical bushing style

Just bought a set of tensors lo though to try and can't wait to skate them when I'm free from work, right off the bat I noticed the build quality was nice until throwing the wheels on one of the axles and noticing they didn't finish the threads right and I had to rethread it to fine the threads so the nut can actual be tightened  >:(

I was appreciating the quality out the box til that but luckily it was just one end of one of the axles, the bushings feel really responsive so far, like thunder bushings but softer and rebound to center quicker but they're soft to where if they're kinda loose they can wheel bite so probably a con of the 2 pros

We'll see how tensors really hold up now, last time I had a set of tensors they helped my flip tricks crazy but the build was trash. My axle scraped against something and the nut flew right off and my wheel and the axle was all messed up and I saw why they got such a bad rep but it was the R2 times, now we got the tens
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1163 on: September 22, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »
I've never had a single problem with the set of aces I have. The stock bushings take a bit to break in but once they do they are solid. I also don't skate super tough and basically only skate tranny though.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1164 on: September 24, 2016, 09:51:24 AM »
Really random question for geometry heads...I've been skating Khiro conical for the past few years but recently switched to Khiro low profile. The bottom bushing is the same size as normal conical but the top bushing is a little bit shorter.  Anyway, my question is...would that shorter top bushing effectively make my trucks sit lower?

My board doesn't feel any lower but those low profile bushings get my trucks super loose which I like.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: September 24, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Really random question for geometry heads...I've been skating Khiro conical for the past few years but recently switched to Khiro low profile. The bottom bushing is the same size as normal conical but the top bushing is a little bit shorter.  Anyway, my question is...would that shorter top bushing effectively make my trucks sit lower?

My board doesn't feel any lower but those low profile bushings get my trucks super loose which I like.

Nah, the bottom or 'boardside' bushing is what the hanger sits on in relation to the baseplate, that's what affects the geo.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1166 on: September 24, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
Evolution Of My Ride: Danny Dicola - TransWorld SKATEboarding

Has this ever been posted on here ? Kinda old video, but I think it's pretty rad to see all the effort he puts into making his own unique sets of indys.

Main

« Reply #1167 on: September 24, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »
Too much work when you can just buy Ace 44's, they have almost as identical looking hanger as a 215. But he's sponsored by Indy so I guess that's what he's gotta do.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1168 on: September 25, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
Too much work when you can just buy Ace 44's, they have almost as identical looking hanger as a 215. But he's sponsored by Indy so I guess that's what he's gotta do.

The look of ace, with the perfomance of indy.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1169 on: September 25, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
This is the furthest of cries, but does anyone have any experience with Crail trucks? My bushings are smashed and I'd like to have new, hard ones.