Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220728 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1170 on: September 25, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
This is the furthest of cries, but does anyone have any experience with Crail trucks? My bushings are smashed and I'd like to have new, hard ones.

I had some, like 6/7 years ago i think. They were fine actually. They had the best packaging i've seen in any brand of trucks, with a cool box, and free thin risers that i used for years. The bushings were good too, "moog" if i remember. Try some indy aftermarket ones (black or blue ones), they must fit.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1171 on: September 25, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »
The red 90a aftermarket Thunder bushings on my 149s were basically dust. Put in a set of orange 90a Indy aftermarket bushings, the dimensions seemed close enough. Didn't feel like I needed to break them in at all, skated super natural right away. The turn feels a little less 'sporty,' or however most people describe the way Thunders turn. Makes it feels a little bit closer to the way Indys turn, but you're definitely still skating Thunders. I like it a lot so far.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1172 on: September 26, 2016, 07:32:01 AM »
I know myself and others have tried the "wobbly" loose with Ace's, but has anyone tried skating extremely loose with Indy's and had good success? I'm curious if a Krux top bushing would be shorter than an Indy stock and allow it to have a good wobble.

JAesop

« Reply #1173 on: September 26, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »
My last set on Indy's were Indy highs and I ran them with aftermarket Indy low conical bushings. They were loose enough that they wobbled when you picked up the board. Best set up combo I ever had on Indy's. Loved it but...
I am now skating Krux with the downlow kingpin and everything else stock and they turn deeper and more " surfy" than the Indy's ever did. Better turn back to center and smoother turn. I actually get wheel bite with these because they go so deep. The Indy's feel more linear if that makes sense, jerky and more side to side.

Plus, lighter and look at the kingpin clearance.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:05:27 AM by JAesop »

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1174 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
Expand Quote
This is the furthest of cries, but does anyone have any experience with Crail trucks? My bushings are smashed and I'd like to have new, hard ones.
[close]

I had some, like 6/7 years ago i think. They were fine actually. They had the best packaging i've seen in any brand of trucks, with a cool box, and free thin risers that i used for years. The bushings were good too, "moog" if i remember. Try some indy aftermarket ones (black or blue ones), they must fit.

They are Moog indeed. I didn't get a fancy box when I bought the trucks... they came with the little thin risers, though. I'll try the Indy bushings if I can get them for a nice price, thanks for the heads up.

Main

« Reply #1175 on: September 26, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »
Thanks JAesop, I didn't even think to do that. I'll keep the bottom Indy bushing a "hi" one so to keep the stock geometry, but I'll put a low bushing as the top one for extra room.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1176 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
How much extra bullshit do you need to add to aces to actually dial them in?
or any truck for that matter. Still longing for those indy stage 7 days...
seriously though, I wonder how much of this is pure slap OCD/ nerdery?
I'm about to drop some $ on some ace 33s and I plan on keeping them stock af, on a scale of 1-10 how well will they ride?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1177 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm about to drop some $ on some ace 33s and I plan on keeping them stock af, on a scale of 1-10 how well will they ride?

Very little of it! I nerd out because I can tell the difference between small details. Some people just don't care about things like geometry/bushings/etc.. I don't understand it, but there's great skaters on both sides of the coin.

It annoys me when people act like they don't care what they use on their set up "i just throw whatever on there man, wheels are wheels" BULLSHIT

I'm talking to you Ellington!!! Cool ass not giving a fuck son of a bitch!!

Oh and I've been on 44's, still stock. I would guess the 33's would feel like an 8/10 maybe.. If you got a good pair, and if they match your temperaments. The only real issues seem to be metal softness, and the squishy parts. The truck shape itself is pretty dialled.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:56:43 PM by Zimmer »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1178 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Very little of it! I nerd out because I can tell the difference between small details. Some people just don't care about things like geometry/bushings/etc.. I don't understand it, but there's great skaters on both sides of the coin.

Oh and I've been on 44's, still stock. I would guess the 33's would feel like an 8/10 maybe.. If you got a good pair, and if they match your temperaments. The only real issues seem to be metal softness, and the squishy parts. The truck shape itself is pretty dialed.
Isn't there a holy trinity of parts, or at least a super tech set up a Slapper posted?

Ace Magnesium Base Plates
Krux Kingpin
Thunder or Indy Hangar (I could be off)
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1179 on: September 26, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Oh and I've been on 44's, still stock. I would guess the 33's would feel like an 8/10 maybe.. If you got a good pair, and if they match your temperaments. The only real issues seem to be metal softness, and the squishy parts. The truck shape itself is pretty dialed.
[close]
Isn't there a holy trinity of parts, or at least a super tech set up a Slapper posted?

Krux Kingpin
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me

Yea i think is was xen who created that abomination. I just know from personal experience that obsessing over gear is a way to shift the blame away from your lack of talent as a reason for terrible skateboarding. I've dropped hundreds of dollars on trucks in the last 5 years, fucking with bushings, only to have the same results on each brand or size. Honestly, I sort of blame this place. I never cared before.
you never know about pre-cum 

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1180 on: September 27, 2016, 12:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Krux Kingpin
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me
[close]

Yea i think is was xen who created that abomination. I just know from personal experience that obsessing over gear is a way to shift the blame away from your lack of talent as a reason for terrible skateboarding. I've dropped hundreds of dollars on trucks in the last 5 years, fucking with bushings, only to have the same results on each brand or size. Honestly, I sort of blame this place. I never cared before.
Yeah, I kinda hate/love Slap for this. I geek out at hardware and at least I know now to stray away from specific brands but, I get the itch to try out new brands

Main

« Reply #1181 on: September 27, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »
I'm fully aware that I suck. But I can still tell a huge difference when using quality bushings vs. shitty stock ones. I can also tell the difference between turns with different truck companies. It's not making excuses, it's being in tune with what you're riding.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1182 on: September 27, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Krux Kingpin
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me
[close]

ACE Mag plates, of you can find them, they're light and the only other option than cast (indy and thunder both offer cast and forged)
Krux Kingpin/bushings - low KP clearance and amazing bushings
khiro soft pivot cups as the stock will blow out
ACE hanger (never swapped brand parts except back in the day w/Stage III indy I thunder parts when I was a brokeazz)

I agree that obsessing over gear can be a means of shifting blame, but for me, I try to skate all terrain and sadly there is no best truck for me. Indys can do it it all -  I ride med-loose and they're not as stable at speed compared to thunders, ACEs turn better than everything, especially on tranny but have build issues, Thunders are the best damn street truck, low, light (Ti are sick) great pop, push out the wheel base a tad and feel good enough loose but just don't come close enough to ace or indy on tranny.

If I only skated tranny? ACE (and I'd still use krux pins and bushings; in anything with a cast plate)
If I only skated street? Thunders TI
If I was smart? Indys w/conicals and just get used to them again (which I'm doing right now).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:48:17 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1183 on: September 27, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
I've finally given up on the idea that I will become a tranny god now that I'm older and have chosen to stick with Thunders.  I have 149Ti on my regular setup and 149 Team on my cruiser/curb crusher.  Last week, I sold off every other truck I had

They just seem to be the best truck for me.  I don't have to change a single thing on them and they just work.  Perfectly capable in bowls and far superior over everything else on the street.

Now that I'm in my mid 30's the most important thing to me is how a truck pops.  For whatever reason Thunders have the best pop for me.  Could be my timing or foot placement or what ever but I've had exact same setups with Indy and Thunder, skated them back to back in the same session and the Thunder pop was effortless and consistent.  The Indy pop was unpredictable and unstable (for me)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1184 on: September 27, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »
I did the exact same thing (including giving up dreams of being a vert god)... except with Indy. 

hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

« Reply #1185 on: September 27, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
I did the exact same thing (including giving up dreams of being a vert god)... except with Indy. 

Pretty depressing coming to grips with the reality that I'll never be able to do a 540 McTwist

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1186 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I did the exact same thing (including giving up dreams of being a vert god)... except with Indy.? 

[close]

Pretty depressing coming to grips with the reality that I'll never be able to do a 540 McTwist

my sights were even lower... I was hoping to be able to stand-up on a 5-0 on something above 4ft.

hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1187 on: September 27, 2016, 09:15:41 AM »
I've finally given up on the idea that I will become a tranny god now that I'm older and have chosen to stick with Thunders.� I have 149Ti on my regular setup and 149 Team on my cruiser/curb crusher.� Last week, I sold off every other truck I had

They just seem to be the best truck for me.� I don't have to change a single thing on them and they just work.� Perfectly capable in bowls and far superior over everything else on the street.

Now that I'm in my mid 30's the most important thing to me is how a truck pops.� For whatever reason Thunders have the best pop for me.� Could be my timing or foot placement or what ever but I've had exact same setups with Indy and Thunder, skated them back to back in the same session and the Thunder pop was effortless and consistent.� The Indy pop was unpredictable and unstable (for me)

I'm with you in the Thunder pop, height/stability but how I skate in bowls (and I am by no means a tranny god), which is as fast as I can go, and it's pretty damn fast if I do say so myself, Thunders don't save my ass when I fuck up the line whereas with ace and indy I can carve out of it somehow, also, less wheelbite.

We've chatted about this before, go watch Lockwood rip any bowl a new one on thunders ;)

Taking bets on Thunder-4-Life-BMC ;)

Main

« Reply #1188 on: September 27, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »
I just watched that Danny Dicola video again where he cuts down the 215's. I kinda wanna do this now but don't have the tools or the skills. Anyone know where I could go to get it done? Ace Hardware or Home Depot? I wanna turn them into 149's.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1189 on: September 27, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
I just watched that Danny Dicola video again where he cuts down the 215's. I kinda wanna do this now but don't have the tools or the skills. Anyone know where I could go to get it done? Ace Hardware or Home Depot? I wanna turn them into 149's.
Evolution Of My Ride: Danny Dicola - TransWorld SKATEboarding
Such a gnarly process. I've never skated 215s but I want to get some. Just checked the indy website and saw that they're only 53.5mm high. I guess they still run stage 10 geometry?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1190 on: September 27, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
My friends made fun of my curb/cruiser/"pool" board being to tight so I decided to finally swap those Bones Rip-Off bushings my theeves came with for the orange Indy Conical bushings. They make a difference, rode them loose and while it felt nice I tightened them to have a bit more control and avoid wheelbite

Main

« Reply #1191 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Such a gnarly process. I've never skated 215s but I want to get some. Just checked the indy website and saw that they're only 53.5mm high. I guess they still run stage 10 geometry?

I think 215s are actually an older stage way before 10.

Jordick

« Reply #1192 on: September 27, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Evolution Of My Ride: Danny Dicola - TransWorld SKATEboarding
search in your area for a metal/fabrication shop. They'll be able to do it for sure.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1193 on: September 27, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Stage 4?

Main

« Reply #1194 on: September 27, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »
search in your area for a metal/fabrication shop. They'll be able to do it for sure.

Thanks man! Just did, emailed a local company and I'll call a couple more tomorrow. Hoping this isn't going to cost a lot cause if that's the case I won't be able to afford it.

Jordick

« Reply #1195 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man! Just did, emailed a local company and I'll call a couple more tomorrow. Hoping this isn't going to cost a lot cause if that's the case I won't be able to afford it.
no problem. support small business

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1196 on: September 28, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Stage 4?

Yah...I think you're right....before they bulked up...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1197 on: September 28, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
http://independenttrucks.com/stage11faq/

What about the 215?

The 215 currently features the older geometry but will be rolled out in 2013 with the updated geometry.

We've gone ahead and updated the name of these to Stage 11 as well as the baseplate stamp to coincide with the entire truck line.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1198 on: September 29, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »
G'day fellow truck nerds. I got a beast coming any day now in the mail. (10x32) What trucks do you think would work best on a 10in board with 58mm wheels? 8.5 axle too small? Any help much appreciated.

Edit:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:23:14 AM by yapple dapple »

Jordick

« Reply #1199 on: September 29, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
the shape tapers a lot but it looks as if 159's or 169's/ace 55 or 66 could do the trick. Jam some extra washers or "speed rings" on each side of the axles and you could stretch your 149's out a bit.