Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296968 times)

#alexander# and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Main

• Rep: -206
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1170 on: September 20, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Doesn't Khiro small pivots still kinda stick out and not fit properly though?

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #1171 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »

Nah, they fit like stock pivot cups honestly.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

Main

« Reply #1172 on: September 21, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #1173 on: September 21, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »

How much extra bullshit do you need to add to aces to actually dial them in?
you never know about pre-cum 

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1174 on: September 21, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »

The key to getting aces perfect is throwing them in the dumpster then buying Indys. Then you'll be set.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Main

« Reply #1175 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
Taking out stock bushings and putting in aftermarkets isn't hard. Pivots aren't either if you have needle nose pliers. Indy's are still great trucks, Ace just perform better.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #1176 on: September 21, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »

This is a good question. I'm still using that set I bought from you a while back. The bushings are too hard and they take extra effort to turn. Also the axles bent slightly. I've lightly sanded the bushings and they feel a bit looser. They're close to the axle though, not much more of this bullshit.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1177 on: September 21, 2016, 10:37:18 PM »
So every so often I try a different truck brand but I always end up switching back to Indys. Anyway, I've been using bones medium bushings for the last 5 years AT LEAST but and have always used top washer only.

However, I have been told that by not using a bottom washer with the bones it fucks with the geometry of the truck?

So... for Indy highs with bones bushings, would you recommend top washer only or top and bottom washer?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #1178 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:25 PM »
Everyone's gonna tell you not to use bones bushings,,...

Main

« Reply #1179 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »
So every so often I try a different truck brand but I always end up switching back to Indys. Anyway, I've been using bones medium bushings for the last 5 years AT LEAST but and have always used top washer only.

However, I have been told that by not using a bottom washer with the bones it fucks with the geometry of the truck?

So... for Indy highs with bones bushings, would you recommend top washer only or top and bottom washer?

Bones in Indy Hi's should be used without a bottom washer. The bushings sit too tall if you put a washer under it. Top washer is good if you wanna preserve the bushing longer but you don't even need to use a top one either.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1180 on: September 21, 2016, 11:34:41 PM »

Bones in Indy Hi's should be used without a bottom washer. The bushings sit too tall if you put a washer under it. Top washer is good if you wanna preserve the bushing longer but you don't even need to use a top one either.

Thanks man. I'll just keep rocking the top washer only!

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1181 on: September 22, 2016, 07:31:40 AM »
Idk what everyone is on about Aces. My stock Aces performed way better than my Indies w/bones med. right out of the box. Also, they appear bent because of the construction, but they aren't.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1182 on: September 22, 2016, 08:02:30 AM »
Once I held 3 different pairs of brand new ace trucks in my had that all had the same size axles but slightly different sized hangers, I was done with them for good. 

Not to mention you have to switch out everything on the truck except the metal to get them skate decent.  Once you do that, the kingpins will fall out in a few weeks.  No thanks

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #1183 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
Once I held 3 different pairs of brand new ace trucks in my had that all had the same size axles but slightly different sized hangers, I was done with them for good.  

Not to mention you have to switch out everything on the truck except the metal to get them skate decent.  Once you do that, the kingpins will fall out in a few weeks.  No thanks

That's the only concern I really have. I'm not exactly doing high impact skating, but I still worry about this as I'm quite heavy on the board.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1184 on: September 22, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
Aha dang, nvm on the Aces then.

After 3 weeks of the theeve tiax standard hi I stepped back to the good ole thunder 147hi and I definitely prefer trucks 47-51mm height, the quickness of the tail hitting the ground is just more my style.

Has anyone tried Destructo D2's ?? I really want a set but there's not much feedback anywhere on them. I feel like they're supposed to be a thunder hi copy cat with its height and conical bushing style

Just bought a set of tensors lo though to try and can't wait to skate them when I'm free from work, right off the bat I noticed the build quality was nice until throwing the wheels on one of the axles and noticing they didn't finish the threads right and I had to rethread it to fine the threads so the nut can actual be tightened  >:(

I was appreciating the quality out the box til that but luckily it was just one end of one of the axles, the bushings feel really responsive so far, like thunder bushings but softer and rebound to center quicker but they're soft to where if they're kinda loose they can wheel bite so probably a con of the 2 pros

We'll see how tensors really hold up now, last time I had a set of tensors they helped my flip tricks crazy but the build was trash. My axle scraped against something and the nut flew right off and my wheel and the axle was all messed up and I saw why they got such a bad rep but it was the R2 times, now we got the tens
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #1185 on: September 22, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »
I've never had a single problem with the set of aces I have. The stock bushings take a bit to break in but once they do they are solid. I also don't skate super tough and basically only skate tranny though.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1186 on: September 24, 2016, 09:51:24 AM »
Really random question for geometry heads...I've been skating Khiro conical for the past few years but recently switched to Khiro low profile. The bottom bushing is the same size as normal conical but the top bushing is a little bit shorter.  Anyway, my question is...would that shorter top bushing effectively make my trucks sit lower?

My board doesn't feel any lower but those low profile bushings get my trucks super loose which I like.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1187 on: September 24, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Really random question for geometry heads...I've been skating Khiro conical for the past few years but recently switched to Khiro low profile. The bottom bushing is the same size as normal conical but the top bushing is a little bit shorter.  Anyway, my question is...would that shorter top bushing effectively make my trucks sit lower?

My board doesn't feel any lower but those low profile bushings get my trucks super loose which I like.

Nah, the bottom or 'boardside' bushing is what the hanger sits on in relation to the baseplate, that's what affects the geo.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -9
« Reply #1188 on: September 24, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »

Has this ever been posted on here ? Kinda old video, but I think it's pretty rad to see all the effort he puts into making his own unique sets of indys.

Main

« Reply #1189 on: September 24, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »
Too much work when you can just buy Ace 44's, they have almost as identical looking hanger as a 215. But he's sponsored by Indy so I guess that's what he's gotta do.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1190 on: September 25, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
Too much work when you can just buy Ace 44's, they have almost as identical looking hanger as a 215. But he's sponsored by Indy so I guess that's what he's gotta do.

The look of ace, with the perfomance of indy.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #1191 on: September 25, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
This is the furthest of cries, but does anyone have any experience with Crail trucks? My bushings are smashed and I'd like to have new, hard ones.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1192 on: September 25, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
This is the furthest of cries, but does anyone have any experience with Crail trucks? My bushings are smashed and I'd like to have new, hard ones.

I had some, like 6/7 years ago i think. They were fine actually. They had the best packaging i've seen in any brand of trucks, with a cool box, and free thin risers that i used for years. The bushings were good too, "moog" if i remember. Try some indy aftermarket ones (black or blue ones), they must fit.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1193 on: September 25, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »
The red 90a aftermarket Thunder bushings on my 149s were basically dust. Put in a set of orange 90a Indy aftermarket bushings, the dimensions seemed close enough. Didn't feel like I needed to break them in at all, skated super natural right away. The turn feels a little less 'sporty,' or however most people describe the way Thunders turn. Makes it feels a little bit closer to the way Indys turn, but you're definitely still skating Thunders. I like it a lot so far.

Main

« Reply #1194 on: September 26, 2016, 07:32:01 AM »
I know myself and others have tried the "wobbly" loose with Ace's, but has anyone tried skating extremely loose with Indy's and had good success? I'm curious if a Krux top bushing would be shorter than an Indy stock and allow it to have a good wobble.

JAesop

« Reply #1195 on: September 26, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »
My last set on Indy's were Indy highs and I ran them with aftermarket Indy low conical bushings. They were loose enough that they wobbled when you picked up the board. Best set up combo I ever had on Indy's. Loved it but...
I am now skating Krux with the downlow kingpin and everything else stock and they turn deeper and more " surfy" than the Indy's ever did. Better turn back to center and smoother turn. I actually get wheel bite with these because they go so deep. The Indy's feel more linear if that makes sense, jerky and more side to side.

Plus, lighter and look at the kingpin clearance.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:05:27 AM by JAesop »

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #1196 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »

I had some, like 6/7 years ago i think. They were fine actually. They had the best packaging i've seen in any brand of trucks, with a cool box, and free thin risers that i used for years. The bushings were good too, "moog" if i remember. Try some indy aftermarket ones (black or blue ones), they must fit.

They are Moog indeed. I didn't get a fancy box when I bought the trucks... they came with the little thin risers, though. I'll try the Indy bushings if I can get them for a nice price, thanks for the heads up.

Main

« Reply #1197 on: September 26, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »
Thanks JAesop, I didn't even think to do that. I'll keep the bottom Indy bushing a "hi" one so to keep the stock geometry, but I'll put a low bushing as the top one for extra room.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1198 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
or any truck for that matter. Still longing for those indy stage 7 days...
seriously though, I wonder how much of this is pure slap OCD/ nerdery?
I'm about to drop some $ on some ace 33s and I plan on keeping them stock af, on a scale of 1-10 how well will they ride?

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

Zimmer

« Reply #1199 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
or any truck for that matter. Still longing for those indy stage 7 days...
seriously though, I wonder how much of this is pure slap OCD/ nerdery?
I'm about to drop some $ on some ace 33s and I plan on keeping them stock af, on a scale of 1-10 how well will they ride?

Very little of it! I nerd out because I can tell the difference between small details. Some people just don't care about things like geometry/bushings/etc.. I don't understand it, but there's great skaters on both sides of the coin.

It annoys me when people act like they don't care what they use on their set up "i just throw whatever on there man, wheels are wheels" BULLSHIT

I'm talking to you Ellington!!! Cool ass not giving a fuck son of a bitch!!

Oh and I've been on 44's, still stock. I would guess the 33's would feel like an 8/10 maybe.. If you got a good pair, and if they match your temperaments. The only real issues seem to be metal softness, and the squishy parts. The truck shape itself is pretty dialled.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:56:43 PM by Zimmer »