Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296929 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1200 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
How much extra bullshit do you need to add to aces to actually dial them in?
or any truck for that matter. Still longing for those indy stage 7 days...
seriously though, I wonder how much of this is pure slap OCD/ nerdery?
I'm about to drop some $ on some ace 33s and I plan on keeping them stock af, on a scale of 1-10 how well will they ride?

Very little of it! I nerd out because I can tell the difference between small details. Some people just don't care about things like geometry/bushings/etc.. I don't understand it, but there's great skaters on both sides of the coin.

Oh and I've been on 44's, still stock. I would guess the 33's would feel like an 8/10 maybe.. If you got a good pair, and if they match your temperaments. The only real issues seem to be metal softness, and the squishy parts. The truck shape itself is pretty dialed.
Isn't there a holy trinity of parts, or at least a super tech set up a Slapper posted?

Ace Magnesium Base Plates
Krux Kingpin
Thunder or Indy Hangar (I could be off)
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #1201 on: September 26, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
I'm about to drop some $ on some ace 33s and I plan on keeping them stock af, on a scale of 1-10 how well will they ride?

Very little of it! I nerd out because I can tell the difference between small details. Some people just don't care about things like geometry/bushings/etc.. I don't understand it, but there's great skaters on both sides of the coin.

Oh and I've been on 44's, still stock. I would guess the 33's would feel like an 8/10 maybe.. If you got a good pair, and if they match your temperaments. The only real issues seem to be metal softness, and the squishy parts. The truck shape itself is pretty dialed.
Isn't there a holy trinity of parts, or at least a super tech set up a Slapper posted?

Krux Kingpin
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me

Yea i think is was xen who created that abomination. I just know from personal experience that obsessing over gear is a way to shift the blame away from your lack of talent as a reason for terrible skateboarding. I've dropped hundreds of dollars on trucks in the last 5 years, fucking with bushings, only to have the same results on each brand or size. Honestly, I sort of blame this place. I never cared before.
you never know about pre-cum 

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1202 on: September 26, 2016, 10:57:15 PM »
I'm running Ace 44s stock and they are fine (I used to use Bones and Indy aftermarket mediums in stage 11s). I can see why people would swap the stock bushings out, as they are a little hard and do take time to wear in. So far mine have been great, so I haven't felt the need to try the Krux bushings yet. I do have a set I will try when my trucks feel off.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1203 on: September 27, 2016, 12:43:32 AM »

Krux Kingpin
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me

Yea i think is was xen who created that abomination. I just know from personal experience that obsessing over gear is a way to shift the blame away from your lack of talent as a reason for terrible skateboarding. I've dropped hundreds of dollars on trucks in the last 5 years, fucking with bushings, only to have the same results on each brand or size. Honestly, I sort of blame this place. I never cared before.
Yeah, I kinda hate/love Slap for this. I geek out at hardware and at least I know now to stray away from specific brands but, I get the itch to try out new brands

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #1204 on: September 27, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »
I'm fully aware that I suck. But I can still tell a huge difference when using quality bushings vs. shitty stock ones. I can also tell the difference between turns with different truck companies. It's not making excuses, it's being in tune with what you're riding.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1205 on: September 27, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »

Krux Kingpin
Khiro Racers

You guys surprise me

ACE Mag plates, of you can find them, they're light and the only other option than cast (indy and thunder both offer cast and forged)
Krux Kingpin/bushings - low KP clearance and amazing bushings
khiro soft pivot cups as the stock will blow out
ACE hanger (never swapped brand parts except back in the day w/Stage III indy I thunder parts when I was a brokeazz)

I agree that obsessing over gear can be a means of shifting blame, but for me, I try to skate all terrain and sadly there is no best truck for me. Indys can do it it all -  I ride med-loose and they're not as stable at speed compared to thunders, ACEs turn better than everything, especially on tranny but have build issues, Thunders are the best damn street truck, low, light (Ti are sick) great pop, push out the wheel base a tad and feel good enough loose but just don't come close enough to ace or indy on tranny.

If I only skated tranny? ACE (and I'd still use krux pins and bushings; in anything with a cast plate)
If I only skated street? Thunders TI
If I was smart? Indys w/conicals and just get used to them again (which I'm doing right now).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:48:17 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1206 on: September 27, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
I've finally given up on the idea that I will become a tranny god now that I'm older and have chosen to stick with Thunders.  I have 149Ti on my regular setup and 149 Team on my cruiser/curb crusher.  Last week, I sold off every other truck I had

They just seem to be the best truck for me.  I don't have to change a single thing on them and they just work.  Perfectly capable in bowls and far superior over everything else on the street.

Now that I'm in my mid 30's the most important thing to me is how a truck pops.  For whatever reason Thunders have the best pop for me.  Could be my timing or foot placement or what ever but I've had exact same setups with Indy and Thunder, skated them back to back in the same session and the Thunder pop was effortless and consistent.  The Indy pop was unpredictable and unstable (for me)

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #1207 on: September 27, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »
I did the exact same thing (including giving up dreams of being a vert god)... except with Indy. 

hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

« Reply #1208 on: September 27, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
I did the exact same thing (including giving up dreams of being a vert god)... except with Indy. 

Pretty depressing coming to grips with the reality that I'll never be able to do a 540 McTwist

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #1209 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
I did the exact same thing (including giving up dreams of being a vert god)... except with Indy.? 

Pretty depressing coming to grips with the reality that I'll never be able to do a 540 McTwist

my sights were even lower... I was hoping to be able to stand-up on a 5-0 on something above 4ft.

hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1210 on: September 27, 2016, 09:15:41 AM »
I've finally given up on the idea that I will become a tranny god now that I'm older and have chosen to stick with Thunders.� I have 149Ti on my regular setup and 149 Team on my cruiser/curb crusher.� Last week, I sold off every other truck I had

They just seem to be the best truck for me.� I don't have to change a single thing on them and they just work.� Perfectly capable in bowls and far superior over everything else on the street.

Now that I'm in my mid 30's the most important thing to me is how a truck pops.� For whatever reason Thunders have the best pop for me.� Could be my timing or foot placement or what ever but I've had exact same setups with Indy and Thunder, skated them back to back in the same session and the Thunder pop was effortless and consistent.� The Indy pop was unpredictable and unstable (for me)

I'm with you in the Thunder pop, height/stability but how I skate in bowls (and I am by no means a tranny god), which is as fast as I can go, and it's pretty damn fast if I do say so myself, Thunders don't save my ass when I fuck up the line whereas with ace and indy I can carve out of it somehow, also, less wheelbite.

We've chatted about this before, go watch Lockwood rip any bowl a new one on thunders ;)

Taking bets on Thunder-4-Life-BMC ;)

Main

« Reply #1211 on: September 27, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »
I just watched that Danny Dicola video again where he cuts down the 215's. I kinda wanna do this now but don't have the tools or the skills. Anyone know where I could go to get it done? Ace Hardware or Home Depot? I wanna turn them into 149's.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1212 on: September 27, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
I just watched that Danny Dicola video again where he cuts down the 215's. I kinda wanna do this now but don't have the tools or the skills. Anyone know where I could go to get it done? Ace Hardware or Home Depot? I wanna turn them into 149's.

Such a gnarly process. I've never skated 215s but I want to get some. Just checked the indy website and saw that they're only 53.5mm high. I guess they still run stage 10 geometry?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: September 27, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
My friends made fun of my curb/cruiser/"pool" board being to tight so I decided to finally swap those Bones Rip-Off bushings my theeves came with for the orange Indy Conical bushings. They make a difference, rode them loose and while it felt nice I tightened them to have a bit more control and avoid wheelbite

Main

« Reply #1214 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
Such a gnarly process. I've never skated 215s but I want to get some. Just checked the indy website and saw that they're only 53.5mm high. I guess they still run stage 10 geometry?

I think 215s are actually an older stage way before 10.

Jordick

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1215 on: September 27, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »

search in your area for a metal/fabrication shop. They'll be able to do it for sure.
You think he just rolled out of bed and b/s 360 mannied the roselyn banks?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1216 on: September 27, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »

Stage 4?

Main

« Reply #1217 on: September 27, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »
search in your area for a metal/fabrication shop. They'll be able to do it for sure.

Thanks man! Just did, emailed a local company and I'll call a couple more tomorrow. Hoping this isn't going to cost a lot cause if that's the case I won't be able to afford it.

Jordick

« Reply #1218 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:19 PM »

Thanks man! Just did, emailed a local company and I'll call a couple more tomorrow. Hoping this isn't going to cost a lot cause if that's the case I won't be able to afford it.
no problem. support small business

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #1219 on: September 28, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »

Stage 4?

Yah...I think you're right....before they bulked up...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: September 28, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
http://independenttrucks.com/stage11faq/

What about the 215?

The 215 currently features the older geometry but will be rolled out in 2013 with the updated geometry.

We've gone ahead and updated the name of these to Stage 11 as well as the baseplate stamp to coincide with the entire truck line.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1221 on: September 29, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »
G'day fellow truck nerds. I got a beast coming any day now in the mail. (10x32) What trucks do you think would work best on a 10in board with 58mm wheels? 8.5 axle too small? Any help much appreciated.

Edit:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:23:14 AM by yapple dapple »

Jordick

« Reply #1222 on: September 29, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
the shape tapers a lot but it looks as if 159's or 169's/ace 55 or 66 could do the trick. Jam some extra washers or "speed rings" on each side of the axles and you could stretch your 149's out a bit.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #1223 on: September 29, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
I'd probably go with 169s. There will be overhang in the back though.
you never know about pre-cum 

yapple dapple

« Reply #1224 on: September 29, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »
I'd probably go with 169s. There will be overhang in the back though.
Can't hang with overhang. I also have to take into consideration with what I'd do with the trucks after this board. Don't think I would use 169s ever again. I been hearing mixed reviews with ace's and never rode a pair. Any one got stage 10s 159 for sale or know where I could find them? I didn't like my stage 11s so I sold em.

Main

« Reply #1225 on: September 29, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
Either Indy 159's or Ace 55's. Stage 10's will be hard to find, the kingpin sat high and they didn't turn for shit anyways. If you go with Ace, throw some Krux bushings in 'em you'll have the best turning truck on the market.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:59 PM »
Venture hi's 8.5 is the correct answer.....

yapple dapple

« Reply #1227 on: September 29, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
I think your right, these are what I had on my last cruiser that got stolen. Really dug those trucks.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1228 on: September 29, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »
awesome deck!

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: September 29, 2016, 06:24:49 PM »
I think your right, these are what I had on my last cruiser that got stolen. Really dug those trucks.

It just would look right....the conge would want it that way...