Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220616 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1200 on: September 29, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
I'd probably go with 169s. There will be overhang in the back though.
you never know about pre-cum 

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1201 on: September 29, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »
I'd probably go with 169s. There will be overhang in the back though.
Can't hang with overhang. I also have to take into consideration with what I'd do with the trucks after this board. Don't think I would use 169s ever again. I been hearing mixed reviews with ace's and never rode a pair. Any one got stage 10s 159 for sale or know where I could find them? I didn't like my stage 11s so I sold em.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1202 on: September 29, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
Either Indy 159's or Ace 55's. Stage 10's will be hard to find, the kingpin sat high and they didn't turn for shit anyways. If you go with Ace, throw some Krux bushings in 'em you'll have the best turning truck on the market.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1203 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:59 PM »
Venture hi's 8.5 is the correct answer.....

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1204 on: September 29, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
I think your right, these are what I had on my last cruiser that got stolen. Really dug those trucks.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1205 on: September 29, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »
awesome deck!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1206 on: September 29, 2016, 06:24:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think your right, these are what I had on my last cruiser that got stolen. Really dug those trucks.

It just would look right....the conge would want it that way...

calvinsdream

« Reply #1207 on: October 04, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »
I just set up my cruiser with the indy aftermarket super soft cylinders. I thought I would blow them out instantly at 200lbs but they're super surfy and fun. Matched the bushing and wheel at 78a durometer and it feels like heaven, especially on manuals.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1208 on: October 04, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »
I just set up my cruiser with the indy aftermarket super soft cylinders. I thought I would blow them out instantly at 200lbs but they're super surfy and fun. Matched the bushing and wheel at 78a durometer and it feels like heaven, especially on manuals.

I need soft wheels in my life. My feet hurt.

Are you using clouds? OJ's?

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1209 on: October 05, 2016, 04:29:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do yourself a favor and get the clouds. I fucked around with some different ones before finding the 54 clouds. The 54's are kinda as fast as the 57's anyway but light enough for when you wanna get tricky with it. So perfect.

calvinsdream

« Reply #1210 on: October 05, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

OJ hot juice 55mm. Small yet grippy and fast, plus feel like butter over this fucked texas asphalt.

Zimmer

« Reply #1211 on: October 05, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
I think I'll give the 86a 54mm clouds a try, they seem just right..

I still love riding rocks, but my poor busted joints need a break now and then.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1212 on: October 05, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
I've been feeling like truck brand marketing is turning me off from the big 3. I love(ed) ventures for a long time and then they turned in to some hip hop truck company that is pretty off putting. The indy rtbftr bro thing makes me not want to skate them regardless of how well they turn. Thunders, whatever.

I just bought some Royals, wish me luck. They're really not as low as what tactics lists them at. geometry looks similar to indy.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1213 on: October 05, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »
I've never skated the same type and size of truck back to back. One of the many ways my add manifests itself. Venture trucks are a much higher quality than people give them credit for. They also push the axles out, extending the wheelbase, which to me is helpful as I am enjoying skating shorter boards but like the stability of a longer board. Short legs. Currently on thunders, and they are cool, nothing is the best at everything. Probably pop the best off of Indys, and if I had to pick one forever they might be it, by I always feel like I could do better. I also don't like how homogenized set ups can get, and so I try and support the other guys here and there. I really can't do Indy 149s, the 139s are great. Indy 139s on a board up to 8.4 feels good, but thunder 147s feel weird for me past 8.25. Blah blah blah. I suck no matter what. I have almost always tried to skate decks with the trucks that the pro who skates said deck skate. Whatever. Interested to hear about the royals. Had several pairs and really enjoyed them. The lows back in 2000 where awesome. Skating not at skateparks in the Pacific Northwest with lows sucks tho, cuz you are on 50s and going nowhere fast. The Royal IV's that I had were great for my flip floppity attempts, needed to be loose tho. This post is horrible

BMCsteve

« Reply #1214 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
I've never skated the same type and size of truck back to back. One of the many ways my add manifests itself. Venture trucks are a much higher quality than people give them credit for. They also push the axles out, extending the wheelbase, which to me is helpful as I am enjoying skating shorter boards but like the stability of a longer board. Short legs. Currently on thunders, and they are cool, nothing is the best at everything. Probably pop the best off of Indys, and if I had to pick one forever they might be it, by I always feel like I could do better. I also don't like how homogenized set ups can get, and so I try and support the other guys here and there. I really can't do Indy 149s, the 139s are great. Indy 139s on a board up to 8.4 feels good, but thunder 147s feel weird for me past 8.25. Blah blah blah. I suck no matter what. I have almost always tried to skate decks with the trucks that the pro who skates said deck skate. Whatever. Interested to hear about the royals. Had several pairs and really enjoyed them. The lows back in 2000 where awesome. Skating not at skateparks in the Pacific Northwest with lows sucks tho, cuz you are on 50s and going nowhere fast. The Royal IV's that I had were great for my flip floppity attempts, needed to be loose tho. This post is horrible

All of these comments make you fully qualified to post with us in this thread of unraveling insanity

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1215 on: October 07, 2016, 12:54:09 AM »
^ I've been skating last two winters those fury evo 2's on my indoor setup, mainly because of that 8.25" axle. Metal on those seems to be little bit softer than indys as they dont grind aswell and wear down much quicker. They turn ok to my opinion,really close to indys.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1216 on: October 07, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »
Fury's are not bad. they had this collab with sweet skateboards some years ago and lots of people here bought them. My friend had a pair and they felt decent, he just rides tight trucks and the bushings were kinda fucked so I couldnt feel them right, but they felt better then silver, tensor, etc... The built quality was better then the Ace's i had at the time. They had a lowcard collab that was mad cool!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: October 07, 2016, 06:59:11 AM »
Fury's were Indy knock offs when designed.....I didn't mind them.....they aren't actually furry though....

JAesop

« Reply #1218 on: October 07, 2016, 07:37:41 AM »

So this happened yesterday. Frontside nose slide to pivot cup pop out.

Kind of a bitch to fix because I had to loosen the downlow kingpin to get it back in and then I was paranoid it wasn't in the locknut under the baseplate so I took the whole truck off to check...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:41:55 AM by JAesop »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1219 on: October 07, 2016, 08:43:33 AM »
^ That's a weird one.  I've seen that happen when people use Bones bushings because it changes the angle of the pivot but not with stock bushings.  Hopefully it was just a fluke

JAesop

« Reply #1220 on: October 07, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »
^ That's a weird one.  I've seen that happen when people use Bones bushings because it changes the angle of the pivot but not with stock bushings.  Hopefully it was just a fluke

Must of hit it just right. The pivot cup on the front truck was never quite right even when they were new, it looks wider than the back. Anyway, I'll just get a new one. I also skate my trucks really loose so there may be too much hanger up and down slide. I've never had it happen before, but I still love the Krux.

MonistatOne

« Reply #1221 on: October 08, 2016, 08:35:48 PM »
The pivot cup on the front truck was never quite right
That's a bummer.  I've noticed that, on almost all pairs of krux ive seen, the top of the pivot cups stick out above the seat for them and I feel like they should be flush.  Also had too much kingpin hangup and just wasn't feeling the pair I had, so I ditched em.

Funny to see people talking about Fury on here, but I might actually give them a try, as I'm desperate for a 8.25 truck that I like, and they don't look half terrible.  If only Indy could make an 8.25.....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1222 on: October 08, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote
The pivot cup on the front truck was never quite right
[close]
That's a bummer.  I've noticed that, on almost all pairs of krux ive seen, the top of the pivot cups stick out above the seat for them and I feel like they should be flush.  Also had too much kingpin hangup and just wasn't feeling the pair I had, so I ditched em.

Funny to see people talking about Fury on here, but I might actually give them a try, as I'm desperate for a 8.25 truck that I like, and they don't look half terrible.  If only Indy could make an 8.25.....

Same here, but a mid! I just can't skate 55mm trucks, I feel so tippy.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1223 on: October 09, 2016, 06:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Same here, but a mid! I just can't skate 55mm trucks, I feel so tippy.
[close]

The reason I stopped skating Indy. Somewhere around 52-53mm is the sweet spot for me. Something 8.25 and about 53mm tall would be nice. For now I've settled for Ace 44s.

Go for indy's with forget baseplates. I'm with a 139 stage XI koston's in my set-up and I cant think of a better truck out. They just feel awesome to me. After a pair of Ace's 33 is night and day difference.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1224 on: October 09, 2016, 11:59:05 PM »
hey guys so if any of you remember im the low truck ranting guy, but any who i bought those aluminum tensor low and damn, just these are the possibly worst low trucks on the market. idk how daewon does it maybe the mags are made better besides being magnesium. the turn is very standard non special geometry turn, kinda sloppy. plus the bushings i took out and noticed the rings on the flat surface part of bushings was not even complete on one of the bushings, one bushing had all the usual rebound rings cut right and the other one was missing rings, it only had like 4 while typical bushings have like 10 or so of that rebound rings you see on the flat surface of the bushing that touches the yoke

so to wrap it up, dont buy tensor aluminum lows(or regs), maybe the mags but just stay away from tensor in general i would say, you really pay for what you get, these were $34 for the set and i truly regret it. dreams of skating like daewon crushed

but on to new things i discovered my indy lows are the best low trucks, so i jumped the gun and got some ace 03/ ace lows and boy oh boy when shop employees dont pay attention to current stock

they freaking sent me 1 new version of the 03 thats made with better quality aluminum and build, stiffer bushings, and 2 speed rings per axle and 1 old version of the 03 with 1 speed ring per axle, the softer bushings ace use to have, and a lower quality grade aluminum. how do i know its a lower grade? its the old aluminum that was the cause of old aces breaking and bending easily and when i spun my wheels on both new and old ace truck the bearing spinning against the old ace made this hollow chinging kind of rolling sound while the new ace with the bearing rolling against the axle sounded like a normal solid truck like your goto indys and thunders and good trucks.

idk i emailed them at [email protected], hopefully thats the right email joey put up and they can fix this cause like all you truck maniacs i cannot ride this setup of 1 new ace build and 1 old ace build, plus the soft bushing on 1 side and stiff bushing on the other is too much, you guys understand. you cant just tighten them cause the old ace bushings are so soft theres gonna be a few threads sticking while the new ace bushings require a wind down less than flush

overall though when this is fixed i cannot wait to get rolling on them, cause this might not be relate-able but i have some indy 109 on a zinger and i love the way they have this carvy but slight quick response turn and i think aces are supposed to be based of indy stage 3/4 and 109ś are stage 1 but i feel theyre relatively a similar style of feel and turn for different but close stages/versions

for now i guess its the indy 139 low til joey sends me a new 03, also the new 03 came in a bag that had a label with diamond on it while the old one didnt. i know joey and nick are cousins and work together. but crazy how the guys at the shop couldnt sort that out for me, also these were the last set on stock at the shop thats why im getting at ace isntead of the shop
yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1225 on: October 10, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »
Jesus Christ Rob.... why would you email the company if the problem was with the shop?

Clamy-they're just sitting here. Probably won't be able to get on them until next weekend.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1226 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19:43 AM »
hey guys so if any of you remember im the low truck ranting guy, but any who i bought those aluminum tensor low and damn, just these are the possibly worst low trucks on the market. idk how daewon does it maybe the mags are made better besides being magnesium. the turn is very standard non special geometry turn, kinda sloppy. plus the bushings i took out and noticed the rings on the flat surface part of bushings was not even complete on one of the bushings, one bushing had all the usual rebound rings cut right and the other one was missing rings, it only had like 4 while typical bushings have like 10 or so of that rebound rings you see on the flat surface of the bushing that touches the yoke

so to wrap it up, dont buy tensor aluminum lows(or regs), maybe the mags but just stay away from tensor in general i would say, you really pay for what you get, these were $34 for the set and i truly regret it. dreams of skating like daewon crushed

but on to new things i discovered my indy lows are the best low trucks, so i jumped the gun and got some ace 03/ ace lows and boy oh boy when shop employees dont pay attention to current stock

they freaking sent me 1 new version of the 03 thats made with better quality aluminum and build, stiffer bushings, and 2 speed rings per axle and 1 old version of the 03 with 1 speed ring per axle, the softer bushings ace use to have, and a lower quality grade aluminum. how do i know its a lower grade? its the old aluminum that was the cause of old aces breaking and bending easily and when i spun my wheels on both new and old ace truck the bearing spinning against the old ace made this hollow chinging kind of rolling sound while the new ace with the bearing rolling against the axle sounded like a normal solid truck like your goto indys and thunders and good trucks.

idk i emailed them at [email protected], hopefully thats the right email joey put up and they can fix this cause like all you truck maniacs i cannot ride this setup of 1 new ace build and 1 old ace build, plus the soft bushing on 1 side and stiff bushing on the other is too much, you guys understand. you cant just tighten them cause the old ace bushings are so soft theres gonna be a few threads sticking while the new ace bushings require a wind down less than flush

overall though when this is fixed i cannot wait to get rolling on them, cause this might not be relate-able but i have some indy 109 on a zinger and i love the way they have this carvy but slight quick response turn and i think aces are supposed to be based of indy stage 3/4 and 109ś are stage 1 but i feel theyre relatively a similar style of feel and turn for different but close stages/versions

for now i guess its the indy 139 low til joey sends me a new 03, also the new 03 came in a bag that had a label with diamond on it while the old one didnt. i know joey and nick are cousins and work together. but crazy how the guys at the shop couldnt sort that out for me, also these were the last set on stock at the shop thats why im getting at ace isntead of the shop

I could raise a kid and have him go pro for revive before finishing this bruh
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:22:01 AM by Deekay »

MonistatOne

« Reply #1227 on: October 10, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
royal makes an 8.25 truck? they don't have any axle measurements on their site.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1228 on: October 10, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Uh...yeah rob don't know what the hell you were thinking emailing Joey about a shop sending you two different designs of the same truck. Call the shop you ordered it from and explain the differences between trucks, and they'll send you the right ones.

Zimmer

« Reply #1229 on: October 10, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
Uh...yeah rob don't know what the hell you were thinking emailing Joey about a shop sending you two different designs of the same truck. Call the shop you ordered it from and explain the differences between trucks, and they'll send you the right ones.

This. Just yesterday a guy at a shop gave me 57mm wheels saying they were 54mm. I'm not gonna email spitfire telling them they need to send me new wheels lol. Seriously though rob its not a big deal, I'm not gonna rag on ya.

I'm just gonna keep the wheels, I'm interested in trying them out. Plus they're "grosso's", the shop is 2 hours away, its my fault for not double checking, I can just buy the set I want from the local, etc...