Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220883 times)

calvinsdream

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1230 on: October 10, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Uh...yeah rob don't know what the hell you were thinking emailing Joey about a shop sending you two different designs of the same truck. Call the shop you ordered it from and explain the differences between trucks, and they'll send you the right ones.
[close]

This. Just yesterday a guy at a shop gave me 57mm wheels saying they were 54mm. I'm not gonna email spitfire telling them they need to send me new wheels lol. Seriously though rob its not a big deal, I'm not gonna rag on ya.

I'm just gonna keep the wheels, I'm interested in trying them out. Plus they're "grosso's", the shop is 2 hours away, its my fault for not double checking, I can just buy the set I want from the local, etc...

I really love the 55mm grossos for smaller (<6') transition. Just fast enough without being too large or bulky.

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1231 on: October 10, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »
I've never skated the same type and size of truck back to back. One of the many ways my add manifests itself. Venture trucks are a much higher quality than people give them credit for. They also push the axles out, extending the wheelbase, which to me is helpful as I am enjoying skating shorter boards but like the stability of a longer board. Short legs. Currently on thunders, and they are cool, nothing is the best at everything. Probably pop the best off of Indys, and if I had to pick one forever they might be it, by I always feel like I could do better. I also don't like how homogenized set ups can get, and so I try and support the other guys here and there. I really can't do Indy 149s, the 139s are great. Indy 139s on a board up to 8.4 feels good, but thunder 147s feel weird for me past 8.25. Blah blah blah. I suck no matter what. I have almost always tried to skate decks with the trucks that the pro who skates said deck skate. Whatever. Interested to hear about the royals. Had several pairs and really enjoyed them. The lows back in 2000 where awesome. Skating not at skateparks in the Pacific Northwest with lows sucks tho, cuz you are on 50s and going nowhere fast. The Royal IV's that I had were great for my flip floppity attempts, needed to be loose tho. This post is horrible

I used to have mega issues with doing/trying to do/trying not to do... that.
Sometimes I feel weird using certain trucks with certain pros decks.
For example, I had a few Chocolate Gino decks, and I HAD to use Ventures

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1232 on: October 11, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »
Some of you talking about how Thunders slightly outdo Ace make me curious to try them again. It's been a long time and I don't remember how well they turn/grind. Being a big dude who has to worry about wheelbite, will throwing in some Bones hards do the trick? I'm thinking 149 team raw's and 53-54mm F4's.

N.L.

« Reply #1233 on: October 11, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
Some of you talking about how Thunders slightly outdo Ace make me curious to try them again. It's been a long time and I don't remember how well they turn/grind. Being a big dude who has to worry about wheelbite, will throwing in some Bones hards do the trick? I'm thinking 149 team raw's and 53-54mm F4's.

I'd recommend keeping the stock bushings and use risers. I've ridden Thunder 149s and 151s with wheels in 54mm to 58mm range and get wheel bite but never enough to come to a dead stop. Thunders are great but the timing of the turn and 'pop' is way different to Ace.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1234 on: October 11, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
Yes stop mentioning the two in the same sentence.....just because they appear to be Indy alternatives.....they act differently.....

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1235 on: October 11, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »
If you're worried about wheelbite I'd stay away from thunders. They turn fast but just feel "shallow" compared to the deeper surfy turn of aces.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Main

« Reply #1236 on: October 11, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »
So I'm thinking of getting a wider deck again, something 8.75-9.25. I'm just gonna throw some regular Indy's on, but I don't wanna run huge wheels and risers because it's just way too high off the ground. Yet, I feel like when running a wider board it's kinda standard to do that. Anyone roll with 159 or 169's with like 55-58mm wheels and don't use risers on their Indy's?

calvinsdream

« Reply #1237 on: October 11, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »
So I'm thinking of getting a wider deck again, something 8.75-9.25. I'm just gonna throw some regular Indy's on, but I don't wanna run huge wheels and risers because it's just way too high off the ground. Yet, I feel like when running a wider board it's kinda standard to do that. Anyone roll with 159 or 169's with like 55-58mm wheels and don't use risers on their Indy's?

Yes. I run 159/169s a and 56 and under are generally safest, I can get away with 57-58s with harder bushings. I have had a fair amount of wheelbite with with 58s and softer bushings, but I'm a bit heavier. 55mm with 169s is nice.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1238 on: October 12, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »
Thanks to all of the people that post regularly in this thread and the set up thread, hearing others opinions is helpful, and entertaining. BMC, and Clamy, you are correct: I am crazy. These several threads help me to look slightly less crazy at the local shop, as I can read up here, and not ask the shop guys about anything more than width (shop I go to is super rad, they have just watched me mumbling to myself as I measure multiple boards only to stalk out of there with nothing/or everything to no effect on my skating. Thanks again for the info and laughs (fang: I bought ventures for a set up for exactly the same reason awhile back...I had to drive around to some not legit shops and buy some hideous p-rod colorway that I've tried to scrape off...couldn't put the board together with the 'incorrect' truck, embarrassing)

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1239 on: October 12, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
Thanks to all of the people that post regularly in this thread and the set up thread, hearing others opinions is helpful, and entertaining. BMC, and Clamy, you are correct: I am crazy. These several threads help me to look slightly less crazy at the local shop, as I can read up here, and not ask the shop guys about anything more than width (shop I go to is super rad, they have just watched me mumbling to myself as I measure multiple boards only to stalk out of there with nothing/or everything to no effect on my skating. Thanks again for the info and laughs (fang: I bought ventures for a set up for exactly the same reason awhile back...I had to drive around to some not legit shops and buy some hideous p-rod colorway that I've tried to scrape off...couldn't put the board together with the 'incorrect' truck, embarrassing)

I understand your pain. Part of my Venture choice is nostalgia. When Independent went to Stage 9, I freaked out, I STILL don't like the shaved down hanger. I skated Indys almost exclusively from 86-03 (except for a few months on those glorious Venture featherlights in the BPSW era and the early Royals in 1999 or 2000 for a few months). Anyway, I watched the filming of my friends and I around this time, and saw all of my "best" stuff, I was using Ventures. (My answer to stage 9 was to use Venture Lo's) So, that, combined with my sick obsession with Girl Goldfish and Mouse, made me buy some Ventures. And I am enjoying them/skating better on these than I have on Indys in a long time.
But my OCD/anxiety also have me questioning "What are MY trucks?". I have all these Indy hoodies/posters/t-shirts etc due to my former loyalty. I just can't skate them the way I did prior to stage 9 (and they're two stages past that). I am pretty aware that it is all in my head, but that doesn't make it any better. When I'm not skating good, I'll curse the individual that changed the Indy hanger.
I've fumbled back and forth for 13 years here. Hence, my Thunders info thread. I guess I am a commitment-phobe. I am totally enjoying these Ventures, but I am pretty curious about those Thunders, and oddly the Hi's (as I mentioned in that thread, I've always used standard Indys, but in any other brand - lows always, AND I don't know why at all). It's sort of like, I broke up with a girl and I'm trying to find my new one, but there's a few varieties and I'm scared to commit! I'm like "Indy ... I miss your big hanger, you hurt me". And "Venture, we are pretty good together, indeed." And "But Thunder, you look like we could hook up...soon." And even "But alas, those newer Royals look enticing too". (P.S. My Royal curiosity is based on the fact that all those guys skated Ventures [and even Thunders prior] in their heyday, so my assumption is that they're pretty similar or based almost exclusively off them).

I actually spend a lot of the down time at my job, going through these phrases:
"Dude, you know you'll go back to Indys eventually..."
"No! I cannot kickflip the same with thy shaven hanger!"
"Yes, these Ventures are skating good, just enjoy them, it's the right choice!"
"But those Thunders, maybe... they could be the ones, look at that team list too, whoa" (yes sometimes I think about that)
"Royals.... Mariano, Carroll, Rudy.... those are your dudes, they MUST be the ones"

And then I have a different "this is REALLY my decision" every day of the week. I suppose part of it, is I used to use the same setup for years. Alien Workshop 7.625 with Indy 126s, Shorty's 7/8" , Swiss and Spitfire Bighead 52's. For soooo long. And I'm still trying to get used to wider boards (I don't get to skate much, I have a 2 year old, wife and 2 dogs that need 99.9% of my attention). Trying to find the "me" setup. I skate Girl decks mostly now (I am a 100% sufferer of nostalgia and not letting go of eras), as I don't feel connected to the newer brands. I didn't grow up "with" these guys/brands so I'm like "I fear change" on all of that. I also didn't conform to the highwater/tight pants of the last 10 years, so I'm out of the fashion loop too. Part of me is trying to shake things up to battle my OCD, so trying to go wider/different trucks. I just rambled about nothing for 15 minutes.

I tend to go to my shop for the last 3 years and be not interested in the newer stuff, then out of guilt, buy a few stickers or a cheap dvd to make the exit safely. (I one time bought some Bones bushings that I never wanted just to get the hell out of there without just going "Uh...well...see ya"). Or just keep doing the rounds, looking at things I have no intention of buying until another customer comes in and gets attention, so I can sneak out of there undetected. How are those P-Rods working for you?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:56:14 PM by fang »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1240 on: October 12, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »
Are you me? I want to like Indys and big boards so bad but I can't. I also LOL'd at buying shit at the shop out of guilt. I have a bag of bushings and hardware I'll probably never use because of this.
you never know about pre-cum 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1241 on: October 12, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »
Jesus Christ Rob.... why would you email the company if the problem was with the shop?

Clamy-they're just sitting here. Probably won't be able to get on them until next weekend.

aha idk if i mentioned but it was cause i bought the last set of black ace 03 on socal so if i called them they couldnt do much but tell me i can return them or exchange for one raw ace which idk about you guys but im over raw trucks, and i paid $8 more for the black paint. idk why but black trucks make me feel like skating better because of that whole its all in your mind thing with all of us. but yeah i know calling socal would of just been like oh we can exchange it or wait for a back order to come in when we have them back in stock and id rather not wait or get an exchange that long

but so far i emailed joeys people and they said just make sure to leave a letter with the send back so they understand, it sucks cause i was getting so hyped to skate some super fine low trucks known as ACE trucks and then this bull shit happens, like damn i just wanted a light low truck that actually turns and this happens, so im back on the indy 139 lows with after market medium cylinder bottom no washer and it works but cmon guys stop lying to yourselves, when you got lighter trucks they keep you skating longer cause you dont run out of breath trying to lug this piece of weight around to do a simple kickflip. the indy lows are very good low trucks, they just weigh a bit much compared to the aces. sorry about the long post over and over you guys are the only ones that understand truck analysis
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1242 on: October 12, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I understand your pain. Part of my Venture choice is nostalgia. When Independent went to Stage 9, I freaked out, I STILL don't like the shaved down hanger. I skated Indys almost exclusively from 86-03 (except for a few months on those glorious Venture featherlights in the BPSW era and the early Royals in 1999 or 2000 for a few months). Anyway, I watched the filming of my friends and I around this time, and saw all of my "best" stuff, I was using Ventures. (My answer to stage 9 was to use Venture Lo's) So, that, combined with my sick obsession with Girl Goldfish and Mouse, made me buy some Ventures. And I am enjoying them/skating better on these than I have on Indys in a long time.
But my OCD/anxiety also have me questioning "What are MY trucks?". I have all these Indy hoodies/posters/t-shirts etc due to my former loyalty. I just can't skate them the way I did prior to stage 9 (and they're two stages past that). I am pretty aware that it is all in my head, but that doesn't make it any better. When I'm not skating good, I'll curse the individual that changed the Indy hanger.
I've fumbled back and forth for 13 years here. Hence, my Thunders info thread. I guess I am a commitment-phobe. I am totally enjoying these Ventures, but I am pretty curious about those Thunders, and oddly the Hi's (as I mentioned in that thread, I've always used standard Indys, but in any other brand - lows always, AND I don't know why at all). It's sort of like, I broke up with a girl and I'm trying to find my new one, but there's a few varieties and I'm scared to commit! I'm like "Indy ... I miss your big hanger, you hurt me". And "Venture, we are pretty good together, indeed." And "But Thunder, you look like we could hook up...soon." And even "But alas, those newer Royals look enticing too". (P.S. My Royal curiosity is based on the fact that all those guys skated Ventures [and even Thunders prior] in their heyday, so my assumption is that they're pretty similar or based almost exclusively off them).

I actually spend a lot of the down time at my job, going through these phrases:
"Dude, you know you'll go back to Indys eventually..."
"No! I cannot kickflip the same with thy shaven hanger!"
"Yes, these Ventures are skating good, just enjoy them, it's the right choice!"
"But those Thunders, maybe... they could be the ones, look at that team list too, whoa" (yes sometimes I think about that)
"Royals.... Mariano, Carroll, Rudy.... those are your dudes, they MUST be the ones"

And then I have a different "this is REALLY my decision" every day of the week. I suppose part of it, is I used to use the same setup for years. Alien Workshop 7.625 with Indy 126s, Shorty's 7/8" , Swiss and Spitfire Bighead 52's. For soooo long. And I'm still trying to get used to wider boards (I don't get to skate much, I have a 2 year old, wife and 2 dogs that need 99.9% of my attention). Trying to find the "me" setup. I skate Girl decks mostly now (I am a 100% sufferer of nostalgia and not letting go of eras), as I don't feel connected to the newer brands. I didn't grow up "with" these guys/brands so I'm like "I fear change" on all of that. I also didn't conform to the highwater/tight pants of the last 10 years, so I'm out of the fashion loop too. Part of me is trying to shake things up to battle my OCD, so trying to go wider/different trucks. I just rambled about nothing for 15 minutes.

I tend to go to my shop for the last 3 years and be not interested in the newer stuff, then out of guilt, buy a few stickers or a cheap dvd to make the exit safely. (I one time bought some Bones bushings that I never wanted just to get the hell out of there without just going "Uh...well...see ya"). Or just keep doing the rounds, looking at things I have no intention of buying until another customer comes in and gets attention, so I can sneak out of there undetected. How are those P-Rods working for you?

thunder hi arent even that hi, theyre borderline lows, from what ive noticed theyre a nice mid height closer to lows. like you can hit the tail to ground fast but it still a height thats good for wiggling a turn here and there, i have some 147 hi on my cruiser and theyre just the right height. i can smoothly turn(cause no bottom washer) and still catch that quick tail to ground pop up a curb

indy stage 11 standard i have come to realize ,not being alone with all your guys feedback on them,, are probably the most over rated truck on the market. i knew it wasnt only me when i was struggling on the stage 11, i had stage 10ś and they were amazing, i was landing tricks back to back then stage 11 came and i was obsessed cause of all the hype on a new remastered indy and it was all a sham, they just extended the pivot stem and opened up the clearance with the kingpin and thought it was a good idea but the trucks are tall, too tall

if indy can find a way to have stage 11 turning with a stage 10 height and control i think it would over sell thunders, cause truthfully i think thunders sell more than indys by a margin. kinda sad i sold my stage 10 but oh well. also i dont do forged baseplates, they feel thin and flimsy compared to good ole solid gravity cast plates. cast plates dont feel like theyre gonna break when i stomp a land cause im mobbing like grecko
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #1243 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »

thunder hi arent even that hi, theyre borderline lows, from what ive noticed theyre a nice mid height closer to lows. like you can hit the tail to ground fast but it still a height thats good for wiggling a turn here and there, i have some 147 hi on my cruiser and theyre just the right height. i can smoothly turn(cause no bottom washer) and still catch that quick tail to ground pop up a curb

indy stage 11 standard i have come to realize ,not being alone with all your guys feedback on them,, are probably the most over rated truck on the market. i knew it wasnt only me when i was struggling on the stage 11, i had stage 10ś and they were amazing, i was landing tricks back to back then stage 11 came and i was obsessed cause of all the hype on a new remastered indy and it was all a sham, they just extended the pivot stem and opened up the clearance with the kingpin and thought it was a good idea but the trucks are tall, too tall

if indy can find a way to have stage 11 turning with a stage 10 height and control i think it would over sell thunders, cause truthfully i think thunders sell more than indys by a margin. kinda sad i sold my stage 10 but oh well. also i dont do forged baseplates, they feel thin and flimsy compared to good ole solid gravity cast plates. cast plates dont feel like theyre gonna break when i stomp a land cause im mobbing like grecko

Keep in mind that forged aluminum is 6 times stronger than cast aluminum.  That's why people get loose kingpins with cast baseplates and it's nearly impossible with one that is forged

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1244 on: October 12, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Keep in mind that forged aluminum is 6 times stronger than cast aluminum.  That's why people get loose kingpins with cast baseplates and it's nearly impossible with one that is forged

i understand steve, i know that with forged they heat the metal and press it into the shape of the plate so its non porous and such and basically super solid compared to casting where they just pour some hot metal into a mold but the way forged feel or maybe the weight throws me off, actually i think its how thick the actual plate part against the deck is to me, cause its so thin for lightness it doesn't feel like how classic trucks feel. but then again ive had forged krux plates and they arent thinner than the cast krux plates and it still threw me off. so it must be the weight difference. yeah i think a solid weight plate with a light hangar would be an ideal truck for me, of course with a good geometry too
yes

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1245 on: October 12, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »
has anyone used thunder 151's or indy  159's on a 9" board?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1246 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:40 AM »
Thread delivers as always!. It would be interesting to do interviews with engineers, metal experts, even someone in physics, who don't necessarily skate to look at existing trucks and their specs and have them give their 2 cents on them from the perspective of their field of expertise. Like, "from metallurgical standpoint the Ermico trucks etc..)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1247 on: October 13, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
Thread delivers as always!. It would be interesting to do interviews with engineers, metal experts, even someone in physics, who don't necessarily skate to look at existing trucks and their specs and have them give their 2 cents on them from the perspective of their field of expertise. Like, "from metallurgical standpoint the Ermico trucks etc..)

Imagine they fixed all the spotty things with existing trucks with that expertise, like the way some weight could be shaved off indy's and but sill keep the shape and turn or even come up with the perfect weight ratio between baseplates and hangar(sort of what I mentioned with the whole solid weight baseplate and light hangar) so the truck is even and helps with flip tricks
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #1248 on: October 13, 2016, 06:37:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Imagine they fixed all the spotty things with existing trucks with that expertise, like the way some weight could be shaved off indy's and but sill keep the shape and turn or even come up with the perfect weight ratio between baseplates and hangar(sort of what I mentioned with the whole solid weight baseplate and light hangar) so the truck is even and helps with flip tricks

That's what they do in every other industry. In cycling everything is calculated down to the gram and millimeter to be optimal which is why I'm so insane when it comes to skate stuff. 

Skate parts have been nearly the same for 40 years and it's incredibly frustrating.  Trucks should be CNC with a fixed axle placement, pivot cups shouldnt exist, they should be a clutch type pivot ball, bearings and wheels should function together as a single unit, etc.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1249 on: October 13, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
I think we don't get the same tech refinement as other "sports" because of the way we treat our equipment! The grinding, thrashing of everything, plus skating being thought of for a long time as a young persons thing.

I'm pretty sure prices have something to do with it, we're used to everything being relatively cheap/disposable.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1250 on: October 13, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »
i like my trucks as they are actually, there's been improvements since 40 years, hollow and shit, i'm sure they have experts working on it,  as said the grinding, thrashing etc need solidity and stiffness, and pivot cups are the best ! haha 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1251 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:24 PM »
latest truck set up

149 indy
stage 10.5 forged baseplate, hollow kingpin
ti hangar
aftermarket indy orange cylinder bushings
hardly art, hardly starving

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #1252 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
has anyone used thunder 151's or indy  159's on a 9" board?

Yes,  Thunder 151's on the Welcome Banshee 90 shape. It's all good.

Main

« Reply #1253 on: October 13, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
I didn't take anyone's advice and picked up Thunder 149's today haha. I'll be using Bones hards in them. I refuse to use risers with 53mm wheels so we'll see how it goes. I know I'll still get wheelbite but it always happens with every truck I skate. As long as I don't come to a screeching halt that's fine. Just burnt out on Indy and Ace, I wanna try something else and I feel like Thunder is the perfect inbetween. Ventures and just about all the rest are too ugly looking/kooky in my eyes.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1254 on: October 13, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
I didn't take anyone's advice and picked up Thunder 149's today haha. I'll be using Bones hards in them. I refuse to use risers with 53mm wheels so we'll see how it goes. I know I'll still get wheelbite but it always happens with every truck I skate. As long as I don't come to a screeching halt that's fine. Just burnt out on Indy and Ace, I wanna try something else and I feel like Thunder is the perfect inbetween. Ventures and just about all the rest are too ugly looking/kooky in my eyes.

I've been running 149 hollow lights with 54mm's, as long as you don't run them super loose I think they'll be fine!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1255 on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's what they do in every other industry. In cycling everything is calculated down to the gram and millimeter to be optimal which is why I'm so insane when it comes to skate stuff. 

Skate parts have been nearly the same for 40 years and it's incredibly frustrating.  Trucks should be CNC with a fixed axle placement, pivot cups shouldnt exist, they should be a clutch type pivot ball, bearings and wheels should function together as a single unit, etc.

Aha woah you mean like all the wheels roll the same way together ?

Yeah fixed axle placement seems necessary

It's cool to know out here there's guys like me that get so ocd about a skateboard setup, I thought I was the only crazy skater out here who keeps swapping my trucks because of certain pros and feel from one to the other and never being able to decide what's best, because what is best? The only way to find out is to experiment and so far I'm coming to the end of my truck tinkering because I know I definitely prefer trucks low around 47mm-49mm height, cylinder style bushings for the stability and easy to center feel, and last a carvy style geometry rather than the bouncy quick turn like thunder or venture. So I'm down to ace and Indy lows to be my perfect truck, just gotta wait for that warranty return for the redesign/refined ace 03

I noticed besides the grade aluminum, bushings, and maybe pivot cups the old ace compared to the newly refined aces the new refined ace hangar is more curved out from pivot stem down rather than looking like a straight triangle before for support from bending and breaking like old ace is known for
yes

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1256 on: October 13, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »
latest truck set up

149 indy
ti hangar
So, how do they ride dawg?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1257 on: October 14, 2016, 03:01:54 AM »
Again, thanks for the contributions...fang: amazing. A very accurate accounting of feelings I've had/have. Trucks have the greatest differentiating effect on a set up, for me. Trucks have this allure of 'unearned gains' for lack of a better term. What I mean by that is I can set up a different brand/size and sometimes have a much easier time with a certain trick. 360 flips are way easier for me with indys for example (rest assured this means that they are still fucked, just less fucked). I've learned to give everything else away, except for trucks, because I'll invariably circle back around. Blah blah.

BMC: the lack of information about skateboard products is pretty amazing. As an obvious example, thunder doesn't post information about the height or weight of their trucks. Not trying to pick on them, the industry is just weird. In a way the mystique is nice, separates skateboarding in yet another way from golf (or cycling, or archery, or whatever the fuck industry that bothers to describe their products on something involving measurements). I don't understand cnc axles, but inovation is needed, hard when I'm 38, and completes cost about the same as they did when I was 8. I found some old thunders in a box at my parents awhile back. I should have taken a photo before I threw them in the garbage (they were very broken/haggard), the 'shoulders of the truck looked uneven, and they looked like they were made out of clay. Just oddly crude. Was a set from the mid 90's. Indys from that era felt like they weighed a ton. Drake jones flexed em, but I always felt like they were super heavy, slow. Completes are significantly lighter today (feeling, not fact). Which has helped make set ups wider with less detriment. Wider trucks 'feel' 'better', but my slow slow whittling 'style' gets less consistent. Tricks feel better on 149s, land more on 139s. Has anyone found lighter weight trucks to help going wider? Or is the leverage the more relevant characteristic? Another question I've started wondering about is what effect do wider (or thinner) wheels have on the turning arc of trucks and how they feel? Do wider wheels make a truck 'behave' narrower or nah? Gibberish.

Ducky: my personal experience is that Indy 159s are rad! Weight penalty gets gnarlier with the bigger trucks obvi, but the way that indys shorten a wheelbase helps me flip them better. Bombing hills on a 9" board and 159s is rad, you just feel planted. Thunder 151s are also great, and if I could find 8.5+ boards that were 31.5 or less than 32 then I would use them. Indys make a board feel smaller, thunders make a board feel longer. For me. Bluh, blah

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1258 on: October 14, 2016, 05:32:51 AM »
I think dwindle and dlx have some shapes closer to what you are looking for^ as far as wheel width goes, what I can say is my trucks turn drastically different on worn f4 classics compared to new ones, the ones turn wayyyyy better, maybe because of the more focuesed riding surface before they wear into tablet wheels. It would be interesting to set up a super light 8.5/9x31.8 with forged/hollow 151's.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1259 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:18 AM »
Expand Quote
latest truck set up

149 indy
ti hangar
[close]
So, how do they ride dawg?

perfect.  gonna skate em until they fall apart.

hardly art, hardly starving