Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220608 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1260 on: October 14, 2016, 06:27:25 AM »
Skated great on Thunders last weekend and kept wishing I was on Indy's (mental block) 

Skating Indys this weekend and will likely skate terrible wishing I was on Thunders.

I just can't get away from Indy even though I know I won't skate as consistently with them.  Pretty infuriating

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1261 on: October 14, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »
BMC: too bad venture doesn't make a ti option, but their 5.8 (a truck I haven't had) seems like it might be your thing. I know you've tried them, maybe worth a revisit. The venture turn is really great, very hard to wheelbite, and they offer the stability and extended wheelbase of thunders, with the height of stage 10 Indys. The build quality is also good on the ones I've had recently (use to be able to break em). Since ermico I can do all of the dumb stuff like run them wobble loose with shorter bushings or use extra washers on the inside of the wheel to push the wheels out for a slightly wider feeling truck, with no lasting ill results.

Fang: the ventures I've had have been really good. Trying not to skate lows (I have low 5.25s and a set of hi 5.0s...) as lows make a reasonable sized wheel not possible. Both pairs have bear really nice high quality white bushings that are awesome. Have to put soap in the pivot cup. People always complain about the outer bolt placement on the ventures in relation to the hanger, I take the hanger off when I set them up.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1262 on: October 14, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
latest truck set up

149 indy
stage 10.5 forged baseplate, hollow kingpin
ti hangar
aftermarket indy orange cylinder bushings
[close]
So, how do they ride dawg?
[close]

perfect.  gonna skate em until they fall apart.

So... you made regular ti 149s with aftermarket bushings? Aren't the base plates the same?
you never know about pre-cum 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1263 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
latest truck set up

149 indy
stage 10.5 forged baseplate, hollow kingpin
ti hangar
aftermarket indy orange cylinder bushings
[close]
So, how do they ride dawg?
[close]

perfect.?  gonna skate em until they fall apart.

[close]
So... you made regular ti 149s with aftermarket bushings? Aren't the base plates the same?

yea...nothing special, except I just put on a pair of older forged (Indy called em stage 10.5 before they made the next batch... with a different indy cross on the bottom) baseplates...they are from a pair of the koston hollow indys I had years ago....

I mainly used em just because I had already worn in the front of the baseplate with noseslides, etc. 
hardly art, hardly starving

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1264 on: October 14, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
So I think I've found the closest thing to my ideal truck with these Ventures I got from L60DP. To me they're a perfect middle ground between Thunders and Indy/Ace/Krux. Compared to Thunders, I feel like the extra height and slightly more inward position of the axle helps me get more leverage for ollies without getting into Indy territory where the 55mm height just makes it feel tippy and like everything requires more effort. The stock bushings felt slow and didn't have enough rebound for me so I replaced them with 90a Indy's on the bottom and the red 88a on top. Like a lot of people I never really considered them because of their image or whatever but fuck it, they feel good.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1265 on: October 14, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
Skated great on Thunders last weekend and kept wishing I was on Indy's (mental block) 

Skating Indys this weekend and will likely skate terrible wishing I was on Thunders.

I just can't get away from Indy even though I know I won't skate as consistently with them.  Pretty infuriating

ahaha i had that for a little, i was wanting that thrash hesh feeling on being an indy head with these proclaimed bad boy trucks that can take any beating from the heavy streets with its solid contruction, carvy turn, and beefed hangar built to grind but thunder hi are just the best all around truck, the turn can be eh sometimes but the response is too good.

im debating to go back to thunders from my indy lows just cause i remembered skating this spot with terrible asphalt and pulling a kook moment at the spot swapping my trucks here and there just to see the difference on feel with 3 different sets of trucks and i recall my 147 hi were the best, the rough asphalt didnt mess with my stability and turning too much and the height was perfect for a quick pop response to get my trick

i can only recall of the three sets tested i tried my royals(the new ones) and yeah the thunders, i dont remember testing my self proclaimed indy lows but man, thunders sell for a reason. theyre damned good trucks. are they really made in china now??? cause i remember N.L. mentioning about thunders and indy no longer carrying the USA stamp
yes

N.L.

« Reply #1266 on: October 14, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
indy and thunder standards with regular baseplates are still made in SF, CA as far as i know.

i believe all the fancy parts such as forged baseplates, hollow KPs and hangers are made in china, as well as the bushings, nuts, washers etc....

i'm currently on Indy 149 standards and just got axle slip... ha ha....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1267 on: October 14, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
indy and thunder standards with regular baseplates are still made in SF, CA as far as i know.

i believe all the fancy parts such as forged baseplates, hollow KPs and hangers are made in china, as well as the bushings, nuts, washers etc....

aha thats crazy, seems unheard of to me, for independents to have such a problem with its crazy hangar design

dang idk what to do again, time to get back to the testing fields cause im itching to see how thunders were compared to my other trucks, i know they were good but i took them off for a good while for my indy lows, and now im looking at my theeve lows and wondering why i took them off when they helped me get a kickflip up a curb in around 5 tries cause they helped my board flip so easy...

when i get that replacement ace 03 hopefully the aces will be my stable truck wheel setup until they hit axle and break eventually

i think i dropped the thunders cause i wanted something deeper turning even though they ,as i repeat over and over, had good response

so many good things with each truck but which one stays consistent and only helps me skate better???...
yes

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1268 on: October 14, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
Every single component of Indy, Thunder, and Venture besides the cast hanger and baseplate is all sourced from China.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1269 on: October 15, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

aha thats crazy, seems unheard of to me, for independents to have such a problem with its crazy hangar design

dang idk what to do again, time to get back to the testing fields cause im itching to see how thunders were compared to my other trucks, i know they were good but i took them off for a good while for my indy lows, and now im looking at my theeve lows and wondering why i took them off when they helped me get a kickflip up a curb in around 5 tries cause they helped my board flip so easy...

when i get that replacement ace 03 hopefully the aces will be my stable truck wheel setup until they hit axle and break eventually

i think i dropped the thunders cause i wanted something deeper turning even though they ,as i repeat over and over, had good response

so many good things with each truck but which one stays consistent and only helps me skate better???...

Have you tried using Thunders with the Team (cast) plates?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1270 on: October 15, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
So I think I've found the closest thing to my ideal truck with these Ventures I got from L60DP. To me they're a perfect middle ground between Thunders and Indy/Ace/Krux. Compared to Thunders, I feel like the extra height and slightly more inward position of the axle helps me get more leverage for ollies without getting into Indy territory where the 55mm height just makes it feel tippy and like everything requires more effort. The stock bushings felt slow and didn't have enough rebound for me so I replaced them with 90a Indy's on the bottom and the red 88a on top. Like a lot of people I never really considered them because of their image or whatever but fuck it, they feel good.

I actually found the right tightness with a set but, even with after stock bushings certain tricks like tre flips and hard flips felt off. Added height feels amazing tho
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1271 on: October 15, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I actually found the right tightness with a set but, even with after stock bushings certain tricks like tre flips and hard flips felt off. Added height feels amazing tho

Bushing issues is the only real negative I've heard about ventures so far. They're starting to come out on top for me (out of the big 4). They've got a decent turn, wheelbase, height, easy to find parts, nice to grind, etc.. I always thought I wanted my set up as low as possible, but with my current ride.. I almost feel too low. I can't believe it, I'm not getting wheelbite either.

There must be some kind of sweet spot for height. I can't even explain why I'm not stoked on how low things are right now. Even though I can roll through everything just fine, being so close to the ground is disconcerting for some reason. I'll just give it a few weeks then see what I'm feelin.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:43:52 PM by Zimmer »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1272 on: October 15, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bushing issues is the only real negative I've heard about ventures so far. They're starting to come out on top for me (out of the big 4). They've got a decent turn, wheelbase, height, easy to find parts, nice to grind, etc.. I always thought I wanted my set up as low as possible, but with my current ride.. I almost feel too low. I can't believe it, I'm not getting wheelbite either.

There must be some kind of sweet spot for height. I can't even explain why I'm not stoked on how low things are right now. Even though I can roll through everything just fine, being so close to the ground is disconcerting for some reason. I'll just give it a few weeks then see what I'm feelin.  
I get you, my thought process is that I can't power though stuff as easy. While I'm mostly doing flat and boardslides I feel that higher trucks last longer.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #1273 on: October 16, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
Thunder 149TI, Khiro 85 top bushing, sanded down Bones bottom withno waher, and Krux kingpin. Super surfy and quick. I'd like to eventually get softer bushings and shave down the bottom even more.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1274 on: October 16, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Have you tried using Thunders with the Team (cast) plates?

Aha I only use cast plates, tried forged and I just can't do it. The thin forged plates just have no real contact with board feel for me. But I made the move and threw my thunders back on and I guess I just didn't have them dialed in right before but damn, they are perfect

Standard 147 hi are the best trucks, just needed to have the right amount of tightness

They keep you so controlled, they return to center and stay so stable for that perfect response
I was popping all my ollies and Chinese Nollies perfect cruising fast down the street

Indy's usually had that deep turn that turned a little much for me at times
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:36:50 PM by rob »
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1275 on: October 16, 2016, 03:54:04 PM »
Just got Thunder 147 Hi's, going to try them out tonight. I'm pretty psyched. Got Ventures as my "safe choice" and feel like a puss about it, so this is changing it up for me a bit more. (Still infuriated at whoever changed Indy's hanger on Stage IX-current).

Anyway, I had my wife and son with me, but she'll never go in the shop. Took my son in as a distraction tool in case I got panicked in the shop. And he needed to get used to this stuff. I was the only customer (phew) and I got my trucks and a Thunder sticker and bailed.

The raw (or polished) 147 Hi's is what i got

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1276 on: October 16, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »
Just got Thunder 147 Hi's, going to try them out tonight. I'm pretty psyched. Got Ventures as my "safe choice" and feel like a puss about it, so this is changing it up for me a bit more. (Still infuriated at whoever changed Indy's hanger on Stage IX-current).

Anyway, I had my wife and son with me, but she'll never go in the shop. Took my son in as a distraction tool in case I got panicked in the shop. And he needed to get used to this stuff. I was the only customer (phew) and I got my trucks and a Thunder sticker and bailed.

right! independents were good trucks at stage 10 and i think alot of people said stage 9 were excellent besides the baseplate breaking and i think bending axle here and there, doesnt rowley strictly skate stage 9 or 8?

but damn stage 11 are just...whats going on indy you guys trying to compete with ace in having a crazy turn but no stability??

dont worry dude, 147 hi are definitely a hands down good truck, especially the standard polished

but side note, theyre gonna be oddly loosey goosey cause the bushings are fresh but after i think half an hour to an hour session they should start becoming like tighter but more of a bounce to center kind of tighter not completely no turning tighter
yes

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1277 on: October 16, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »
another stupid question, the only truck companys that make 8.75 trucks is indy and thunder right?

N.L.

« Reply #1278 on: October 16, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

right! independents were good trucks at stage 10 and i think alot of people said stage 9 were excellent besides the baseplate breaking and i think bending axle here and there, doesnt rowley strictly skate stage 9 or 8?

but damn stage 11 are just...whats going on indy you guys trying to compete with ace in having a crazy turn but no stability??

dont worry dude, 147 hi are definitely a hands down good truck, especially the standard polished

but side note, theyre gonna be oddly loosey goosey cause the bushings are fresh but after i think half an hour to an hour session they should start becoming like tighter but more of a bounce to center kind of tighter not completely no turning tighter

stage 9 and 8 were dog shit. i believe rowley skates stage 7 and back? 11s are pretty good compromise of early geometry (stage 3-5) with better features such as lower kingpins. if you want super stable trucks- look elsewhere.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1279 on: October 16, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
Really? That's crazy cause my best friend rides crazy loose and he loved his stage 9 til the axle got bent. What stage Indy are aces based off?
yes

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1280 on: October 16, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

stage 9 and 8 were dog shit. i believe rowley skates stage 7 and back? 11s are pretty good compromise of early geometry (stage 3-5) with better features such as lower kingpins. if you want super stable trucks- look elsewhere.

I picked up a pair of Indy 146s at a garage sale a while back. Double drilled, not sure if stage 6 or 7. I'm stoked to possibly set up a true 8.25 setup but I'm also aware they are heavy as fuck.

What are Krux highs like turn-wise and as far as axle placement (wheelbase)?

N.L.

« Reply #1281 on: October 16, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
Really? That's crazy cause my best friend rides crazy loose and he loved his stage 9 til the axle got bent. What stage Indy are aces based off?

I think Ace are based off stage III.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1282 on: October 16, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I picked up a pair of Indy 146s at a garage sale a while back. Double drilled, not sure if stage 6 or 7. I'm stoked to possibly set up a true 8.25 setup but I'm also aware they are heavy as fuck.

What are Krux highs like turn-wise and as far as axle placement (wheelbase)?

Krux are essentially Indy stage 2s _ 55mm high and don't push out the wheelbase. The krux forged plates are heavier than the cast plates. If krux made an 8.25 downlow it's probably all I'd ride.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1283 on: October 17, 2016, 05:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You were right about the loosey goosey. I only got to cruise a bit on them, did not want to tighten them anymore in case of bushing crushage. I have way too much going on today to get in a good sesh, so hopefully tomorrow. The height/shape/weight of the trucks feels pretty damn good though.

Also, Rowley posted a pic of a board of his just yesterday, and those are definitely stage 7's or 8's. The nice, thick hanger. I actually have one set of those left.  I suppose I'm waiting for a "special occasion" or something

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1284 on: October 17, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You were right about the loosey goosey. I only got to cruise a bit on them, did not want to tighten them anymore in case of bushing crushage. I have way too much going on today to get in a good sesh, so hopefully tomorrow. The height/shape/weight of the trucks feels pretty damn good though.

Also, Rowley posted a pic of a board of his just yesterday, and those are definitely stage 7's or 8's. The nice, thick hanger. I actually have one set of those left.  I suppose I'm waiting for a "special occasion" or something

I think stage 7 and aces are based off stage 4 cause I was googling and saw a few images from a mag that had a little timeline of the independent stages

What's crazy is the way independents went from good to bad I think
In my opinion and research

Aces based their design off old indy's, and same with theeve
Theeves are stage 7's

I wonder if rowley would ever join theeve for that
yes

N.L.

« Reply #1285 on: October 17, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think stage 7 and aces are based off stage 4 cause I was googling and saw a few images from a mag that had a little timeline of the independent stages

What's crazy is the way independents went from good to bad I think
In my opinion and research

Aces based their design off old indy's, and same with theeve
Theeves are stage 7's

I wonder if rowley would ever join theeve for that

Ace geometry is stage III as we have already said. Its about more than just how the truck looks.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1286 on: October 17, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Fuck it, Indy fo life.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1287 on: October 17, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »
I'm just hoping my aces are similar feeling to the Indy 109 I had

Do you guys think Indy stage 10.5/11 Lows are basically a lower Indy stage 10 standard ?

Cause I remember the stage 10 lows were this ugly bowed low where I guess they couldn't figure out how to even the hangar coping(whatever the grinding part of the truck is) with a lower axle and the kingpin was easy to catch then they came out with a redesigned Indy low that resembles what the stage 9 and up look like but as I stare at my stage 10.5(before they started coming with barrel/cylinder bushings and the circled Indy cross stamp) I feel like that's what they are, a lower stage 10.

Old stage 10 low

New stage 10.5/11 low

yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1288 on: October 17, 2016, 08:49:51 PM »
Fuck it, Indy stage 7 fo life.

I get rowley's love; the last no fuss truck set-up I had were stage 7's and they lasted me 6+ years absolutely stock standard!
You guys are now convincing me on Thunders (I wanted to ride Aces) tho cuz I don't want to deal with the whole sand-your-bones-mediums-down(1 washer (top only) on the front truck "finger loose" w/ inverted kingpin)-and-then-bury-them-in-fertile-soil-by-a-brook-3.2 hours-before-a-crescent moon-while-sacrificing-virgins-and-using-their-vaginal-fluid-in-your-khiro-pivot-cups-with-magnesium-baseplates just to get the perfect ride ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:13:10 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1289 on: October 17, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck it, Indy fo life.
[close]

I'll take those Royals off your hands if you're for real  8)  How'd they go?

Already sold haha. There was nothing wrong with them. I'm too heavy and on a bigger wheel phase to ride trucks that low.
I've accepted that it's not 1996 and I'm in my mid 30s. I'm at peace.