Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220997 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1290 on: October 18, 2016, 01:59:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Fuck it, Indy stage 7 fo life.
[close]

I get rowley's love; the last no fuss truck set-up I had were stage 7's and they lasted me 6+ years absolutely stock standard!
You guys are now convincing me on Thunders (I wanted to ride Aces) tho cuz I don't want to deal with the whole sand-your-bones-mediums-down(1 washer (top only) on the front truck "finger loose" w/ inverted kingpin)-and-then-bury-them-in-fertile-soil-by-a-brook-3.2 hours-before-a-crescent moon-while-sacrificing-virgins-and-using-their-vaginal-fluid-in-your-khiro-pivot-cups-with-magnesium-baseplates just to get the perfect ride ;)

You won't regret it, just make sure you try the stock bushings before deciding to swap them for anything.

I've had the 149 and on the 147 hi and both are the best feeling truck, I'm waiting on my ace warranty and when it comes I'll finally see what's the best, the raining champ thunder or a revamp on a classic ACE
yes

N.L.

« Reply #1291 on: October 18, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get rowley's love; the last no fuss truck set-up I had were stage 7's and they lasted me 6+ years absolutely stock standard!
You guys are now convincing me on Thunders (I wanted to ride Aces) tho cuz I don't want to deal with the whole sand-your-bones-mediums-down(1 washer (top only) on the front truck "finger loose" w/ inverted kingpin)-and-then-bury-them-in-fertile-soil-by-a-brook-3.2 hours-before-a-crescent moon-while-sacrificing-virgins-and-using-their-vaginal-fluid-in-your-khiro-pivot-cups-with-magnesium-baseplates just to get the perfect ride ;)

The moon is just right for new trucks. Go with your heart and everything else will fall in place.

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1292 on: October 18, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This gets my vote for "post of the year" +1 Sir
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #1293 on: October 18, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+2

The key with Thunders that I've found is to use the stock bushings at their stock tightness for 2-3 sessions and then tighten the kingpin nut so that it's flush. 

They will feel mushy and too soft at first but after your break them in the urethane firms up and has more rebound.  FYI - the 2-3 break in sessions will suck but it's worth it

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1294 on: October 18, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

+2

The key with Thunders that I've found is to use the stock bushings at their stock tightness for 2-3 sessions and then tighten the kingpin nut so that it's flush.  

They will feel mushy and too soft at first but after your break them in the urethane firms up and has more rebound.  FYI - the 2-3 break in sessions will suck but it's worth it

I tightened each 2 or 3 turns then cruised around while pushing my son in his stroller for 30 minutes. I'm guessing I need to have a real skate (hopefully tonight)on em, then re-loosen? The looks mothers give you when you're skating your son in his stroller range from "what an unsafe idea!", to "why can't my husband skate?" (OK, 99% were the first, I think one mother had a "that's kind of cool" look though)

And I plan on keeping the stock bushings in there. To me, if I have to modify the trucks in any way, then they're whack. I say this based on all the indys I used prior to stage 9, I never had to do anything. And always used stock in ventures . I used the old supercush green bushings in a set of indys in 1990, but that board got stolen like a week later. Those seemed awesome though. And stage 9, I changed to aftermarket medium Indy bushings and still never liked em. Stage 10, seemed alright. I haven't used XI much because I'm trying out other trucks and in this "what trucks?!" Dilemma currently. I know I like ventures but I'm gonna make a run with these thunder 147 hi. I hear all good things
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:29:38 AM by fang »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1295 on: October 18, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
Rad dad is more and more common where I am. Not a bad thing at all. Just weird seeing the rich people drop off their kids. Hopefully your son is stoked, or will be stoked, and you are hanging out with him so that's a win.  My child is not into it.

Ventures p-rod low 5.2's are quality for me. The I'll advised 5.0 p rod highs (not the biggest Paul fan, then or now. He was amazing, but never my guy, and now is pretty 'safe' looking. But his name on the hollow trucks soooo) also are awesome. Except they are really tiny. I used to, not unlike my current ridiculous, assholish quest, search for the narrowest boards possible. 7.3 Andy stone, element.  And that extreme also sucked. I should probably be on 8" trucks. Board size is really flexible these days, and almost always based off of some weird truck bullshit. Been ranting and pleading for an 8.5 x31.5, because I have a pair of 151's I need to skate. Even tho I can't 3flip 149's. Idiot. I am simultaneously going to hold pat on my 8 sets of trucks (maybe more) on also contemplating frantically buying 5.2 highs, 5.8 highs (not being made anymore?) and the lightest 149s in both Indy and thunder. To make sure that I'm totally fucked. Now that I've over shared.

I agree: stock bushing are better, for me. If I'm an asshole and try and tighten them a bunch, right away they get fucked.  No matter what kind. I just acknowledge that I'm gonna be even more of a spazz. Gives me an excuse to just cruise. Or fall and laugh. The clear thunder bushing seem to be good to go, for me, and the white ones get better. I get wheelbite with 50 mm wheels and any truck. Because I can't land on the board correctly. Hopefully they work well for you. My main problem with thunders, 147s more than the others: can't pop 'right' as opposed to my regular mega pop...147s are incredibly consistent in how they work for me tho, so i have that going for me.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1296 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »
I have a set of 139 stage 7s.  barely skated.  bought em off eBay years ago. 
hardly art, hardly starving

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1297 on: October 19, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »
Nice

I just remembered actually my friend had the stage 7 or 8

I just remembered that the hangars wasn't like stage 9 or maybe even 8 so it had to be 7 but then again when did the hangar start looking like 9-11?
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1298 on: October 20, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »
Believe that hanger started with stage 9 (2003 if I remember right)

Well, finally had a real skate on my Thunder 147s. Left them loose to skate to the spot, was all over the place at that point, but trying to break these bushings in. Got to the spot, did a few loose ollies, tightened the front 2 turns, back 3 turns. Did a few random pop shoves, onefoot ollies, kickflips, 18's, switch 180s... rolled around some more. For the most part, they feel almost the same as my Venture Lo 5.25s. The only difference , to me thus far, is that the bushings seem pretty soft, so I get some random wonky turns (Again this is only session 2 of these). Haven't done any grinds on them yet (I get "free time" when my son goes to sleep at 9, and right by my place is a lit up , flat parking lot with no curbs/ledges.) I always end every session with a few kickflips before I go home, and I did 3 in a row, that felt like, the"ninja style" boned out kickflip. So, ending my session on THAT note, I felt pretty stoked on these Thunders.  :)

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1299 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1300 on: October 20, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
indy baseplate thunder hangers broken in indy bushings in the back and 2 soft bones top bushings in the front. shits fun as fuck to ride

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1301 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »
I wonder if anyone else rides lows besides Leo Romero
yes

micky682

« Reply #1302 on: October 21, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »
I think once you go a few weeks or a month without touching your trucks, then leave them alone. Otherwise you'll go mental trying to make them just right. This happens to me at least 3 times a year.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1303 on: October 21, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1304 on: October 21, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »
I got some of those Khiro pivot bushings, due to this thread, small soft. Not that anything was really wrong with my setup.
For my indys, standard 149, if that would matter.
Went for a cruise out the door, to one of the neighborhood curbs.
They don't really fit. A little sticks out. If you compare the 2 (khiro & standard), the height is the same, but the Khiro has more material on the bottom of it, causing it to stick out, causing the hanger to not really sit in there right. The trucks were locking to one side or the other. Making a weird click.
Took them off. Back to the stock hard plastic ones. At least they fit.

Enough looking at this thread.

I brought up that indy stage chart just trying to figure out what year each stage came out. After trying pretty much all truck brands growing up, I've been on nothing but indys since around 98, so I guess stage 8. I remember a couple pairs back then that I never once touched the kingpin the entire time I skated them. They were just perfect from the get go.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1305 on: October 21, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »
thanks for the chart, my friend definitely had stage 8 and rowley has stage 7, i wonder what the height of those 2 stages were, did indy always stick to 53mm? before 11 obviously
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1306 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:25 PM »
Id think finding sizes like a 149 even would be tough because no one skated wider trucks.....I have a set of stage 8's and they are on my zip zinger......

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1307 on: October 22, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »
The earlier stages went 136, 146, etc. which were closer to 7.75 and 8.25. They didn't sell a whole lot of larger trucks from that era so they will be hard to find although that graphic suggests they did exist.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #1308 on: October 22, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »
indy 149s and bones medium bushings sans bottom washers. thinking about thunders for my next set up. i haven't had a set for 6-7 years and i can't remember what i didn't like about them.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1309 on: October 22, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
Stage 4 & 7 Indy's looked so nice. I wonder how Salba and Rowley are getting the older stages? Do they still have the molds and pour them in small quantities for legends or something? I'd pay top dollar for some brand new Stage 7's direct from NHS...

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1310 on: October 22, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
Stage 4 & 7 Indy's looked so nice. I wonder how Salba and Rowley are getting the older stages? Do they still have the molds and pour them in small quantities for legends or something? I'd pay top dollar for some brand new Stage 7's direct from NHS...

That would be some epic shit.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1311 on: October 22, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That would be some epic shit.

I second that, I would definitely drop a big bill for a set of stage 7 to try
yes

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1312 on: October 22, 2016, 10:44:54 PM »
yo DLX dudes on here- what are the stock thunder bushings?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1313 on: October 22, 2016, 10:46:25 PM »
yo DLX dudes on here- what are the stock thunder bushings?

I heard they're 90a
yes

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1314 on: October 23, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »
indy 149s and bones medium bushings sans bottom washers. thinking about thunders for my next set up. i haven't had a set for 6-7 years and i can't remember what i didn't like about them.

To all ya skating indys with bones bushings, stop.

Dear BMCsteve you have saved my truck game with the speed cream in the pivot cup tip and the indy conical aftermarkets.

Those Indy bushings are so more solid and no more splitting like in the bones but I was first skating the blue(92a) but they were way too stiff so I barely had my kingpin nut on the threads.
I got tired of shredding the bones mediums(they 90a right?)in a month or so.I ride my trucks loose I guess, they shake or wobble or what you would like to call it.

so now with the red indy conicals(88a) and the forged hollow stg 11s 149 without the bottomwasher and it is perfect.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:10:15 PM by Dima »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1315 on: October 23, 2016, 08:49:15 AM »
man stoked to see people making the switch to various all urethane after markets, shit really is the truth, the duro options, the turn, durability, really is a game changer

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1316 on: October 23, 2016, 09:28:41 AM »
bones bushings don't sit well in stage 11 hanger, i'm still doing well with indy black cilinders on my 149s, had to put few drops of oil to avoid a persistent squeaking sound in pivot cups and in bushings too( first time i try that)

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1317 on: October 24, 2016, 12:05:11 AM »
^^ literally just swapped out my back truck bushings, put them in maybe two weeks ago and they squeeked nonstop, thought it might've been the pivot cup but i looked at the bottom bushing and its mad warped on one side. had a spare truck worth of parts so set up some older white bones med hopefully these dont suffer the same fate. any one ever had a problem with the black bones meds? i liked to go white on front and black on back to differentiate the two when changing boards

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1318 on: October 24, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
had the same problem with bottom bones hard, they can't stay in place in stage 11 hanger, indy aftermarket ones work well, try the blue barrel ones (92a)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1319 on: October 24, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
^I haven't had a single problem with my Bones hards in my 149 stage 11s. Been there over a year. Once I got them dialed in, they've been pretty damn awesome. They do take a few turns to warm up, especially now that it's cold outside and can be a little too stiff before that. Haven't tried Indy aftermarkets but the stock ones were rubbish compared to Bones. I see absolutely no reason to change the way my Indys are set up right now.