Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220991 times)

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1320 on: October 24, 2016, 02:28:10 AM »
really, lucky guy ! got some on my last 139s, and the bottom bushing never locked in the hanger...and yeah, indy stock bushings are horseshit, but aftermarket ones are great
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:38:38 AM by the snake »

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1321 on: October 24, 2016, 12:52:09 PM »
Not like anyone asked, but I figured out what was wrong with my "trucks"... turns out all my wheels have bearing slip issues. You get what you pay for. I feel like I'm in Street League, I gotta fiddle with my wheels whenever I can and force the bearings back in. Fuck that shit.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1322 on: October 24, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
Not like anyone asked, but I figured out what was wrong with my "trucks"... turns out all my wheels have bearing slip issues. You get what you pay for. I feel like I'm in Street League, I gotta fiddle with my wheels whenever I can and force the bearings back in. Fuck that shit.

I've had this problem with skinny wheels - Bones STF V3, Autobahn Street Slims (non-core) and Ricta Westgates.  Never had the issue with Spitfire though

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1323 on: October 24, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had this problem with skinny wheels - Bones STF V3, Autobahn Street Slims (non-core) and Ricta Westgates.  Never had the issue with Spitfire though

I'm riding 49mm Next (which is like the 3rd class of Moska wheels) wheels. They're pretty slim. I bought them for a bargain, 20 reais, which is like 7 dollars new. I need to build up some character, so I'll keep pushing. They screech enough when I slide and roll quite well, but one of them eventually gets stuck.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1324 on: October 24, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
Got my first "issue" with my thunder 147s.... dunno if this is normal but my front truck squeaks crazy loud from the pivot cup. Back truck has the standard squeak but that front one is loud as the Dickens. Riding wise, I haven't been this consistent with flip tricks in ages, so I am psyched on that. Also considering I jumped from 7.75 to 8.125 with this. Still adjusting to the turning/bushings though

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1325 on: October 24, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
Drop of coconut oil, dry bike chain lube, dish soap...whatever,  in the pivot cup. Usually sorts out the squeaking for me. Thunders yield more consistent flippery for me too. Question: what size trucks did you have on the 7.75? I have this feeling that width is a highly over considered measurement. 8-8.38 who cares. 8" trucks vs 8.5" trucks tho? For me, way different

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1326 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
I like to use soap bar shavings for that. But the quietness never lasts too long.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1327 on: October 24, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »
yea, I was on the bones med for the past 8 years or so... recently switched to the orange 99a indy aftermarket conicals and it feels amazing.  the bushings actually do their job of providing rebound and stability to your turns. 
hardly art, hardly starving

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1328 on: October 24, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »
Drop of coconut oil, dry bike chain lube, dish soap...whatever,  in the pivot cup. Usually sorts out the squeaking for me. Thunders yield more consistent flippery for me too. Question: what size trucks did you have on the 7.75? I have this feeling that width is a highly over considered measurement. 8-8.38 who cares. 8" trucks vs 8.5" trucks tho? For me, way different
For anyone dealing with pivot cup issues, take bmcsteves advice from the first page of this thread and get some finish line dry teflon chain lube. It's more than worth the $5 to have a silent setup.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1329 on: October 24, 2016, 04:45:26 PM »

My unsure-of-what-i-want-to-ride-setups are currently:
1) 7.625 x 31.5 w/ Indy 129 standards (AKA: my hanging on to the late 90s/early 2000s board)
2) 7.75 x 31.25 w/ Venture Lo 5.0 (inching up to a bigger size, barely lol)
3) 8.125 x 31.3 w/ originally Venture Lo 5.25s but now Thunder Hi 147.

I am feeling okay about the width of the board too, which I've resisted conforming to the wider boards, BUT I've had this ongoing issue with kickflips since Indys stage 9, where it seems like my back foot semi-kicks the board away upon re-entry of the flip and I land in a toe drag or semi-toe drag. This is what started my truck dilemma in 2003
All of them , I use Spitfire Bighead 52s, been my go-to since like 98.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1330 on: October 24, 2016, 05:26:28 PM »
You won't regret it, just make sure you try the stock bushings before deciding to swap them for anything.

The key with Thunders that I've found is to use the stock bushings at their stock tightness for 2-3 sessions and then tighten the kingpin nut so that it's flush. 
They will feel mushy and too soft at first but after your break them in the urethane firms up and has more rebound.  FYI - the 2-3 break in sessions will suck but it's worth it
Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks for the advice boys, I ended up pulling the trigger on some thunder hi 149s so I'll make sure I keep them stock and try and break them in. Will let you know how it goes

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1331 on: October 24, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »
So on Saturday I was planning on taking the bottom bushing washer out of my Krux since I did the same with my Indys but after I loosened my trucks a ton I decided to try riding my board like that and long story short I moved my Indy 149s  from my 8.5 Welcome to my 8.25 WKND and swapped out the stock bushings in them for the slightly lower profile stock bushings from my 129 Hollows and now I'm riding loose ass trucks. I've still gotta get used to it a bit but I love the quickness in terms of board control and powerslides are way more fun.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1332 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had this problem with skinny wheels - Bones STF V3, Autobahn Street Slims (non-core) and Ricta Westgates.  Never had the issue with Spitfire though

2 weeks ago my radial slims 101 duro started having this issue after less than a month of skating. It started when my trucks got major slipping axle and i had to loosen up the wheels so that the bearings wouldnt bend each time the axle would slip. This is when my wheels started fucking up. I had this issue the most with bones wheels (as Steve correctly said - the slimmer shapes are the most prone) and this is why i first ever tried spitfires and loved them. i put back on my 4 month old classics and they where snug af. I did notice that the bearing socket in the radial slims is very shallow and the bearing slightly sticks out of the wheel anyway. Too bad i got a second set of radial slims waiting to be skated but i doubt it, i prefer the classics in all aspects and these seem indestructible, best wheels ever.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:33:49 PM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1333 on: October 24, 2016, 11:46:48 PM »
Hmmmm I have a pair of radial slims on ice, now you getting me paranoid :'(

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1334 on: October 25, 2016, 05:38:46 AM »
I don't wanna cause bias or whatever but this was my experience. The bearings slipping out of the wheels was in no way near as bad as you would imagine. Not bones style-"the bearings would fall if i tipped the wheel" loose but they do tend to come off until they reach the nut. Also, due to age and being a pussy i have only been skating a very smooth park and in no way can i appreciate the benefits of riding the radial shape. I suppose it would make a huge difference if i tried these wheels on street. You will understand how this problem would arise once you place the bearings in the wheels. It is obvious that something like this could happen because the socket does not have enough depth to form an "arch" that would hug the bearing in its whole height so when the bearings are inserted they do not produce a "pop" sound, they rather just slide in snug.

edit#5: attached a shitty paint drawing to show you what i mean
the one on the left is the radial slims and the other is the classics. I'm still trying to figure out what they were thinking when they designed these wheels.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:50:14 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
[close]

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1335 on: October 25, 2016, 10:34:41 AM »
I don't wanna cause bias or whatever but this was my experience. The bearings slipping out of the wheels was in no way near as bad as you would imagine. Not bones style-"the bearings would fall if i tipped the wheel" loose but they do tend to come off until they reach the nut. Also, due to age and being a pussy i have only been skating a very smooth park and in no way can i appreciate the benefits of riding the radial shape. I suppose it would make a huge difference if i tried these wheels on street. You will understand how this problem would arise once you place the bearings in the wheels. It is obvious that something like this could happen because the socket does not have enough depth to form an "arch" that would hug the bearing in its whole height so when the bearings are inserted they do not produce a "pop" sound, they rather just slide in snug.

edit#5: attached a shitty paint drawing to show you what i mean
the one on the left is the radial slims and the other is the classics. I'm still trying to figure out what they were thinking when they designed these wheels.

Wow that's insane! You just saved me from ever accidentally trying the radial slims  :D

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1336 on: October 25, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Damn. I bought a set of radial slims on sale for next summer and you guys are getting me worried.  :-\

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #1337 on: October 25, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »
yea, I was on the bones med for the past 8 years or so... recently switched to the orange 99a indy aftermarket conicals and it feels amazing.  the bushings actually do their job of providing rebound and stability to your turns. 

same for me, indy aftermarket is the realness... bones are back to being just bearings

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1338 on: October 25, 2016, 06:02:56 PM »
I like the regular radials
hardly art, hardly starving

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1339 on: October 25, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
I've been skating a set of radial slims 99s for almost 6 months with no problems. They're pretty much the perfect wheel.
okay let's just hope that Esquivel got a faulty set then

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1340 on: October 26, 2016, 02:06:19 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been skating a set of radial slims 99s for almost 6 months with no problems. They're pretty much the perfect wheel.
[close]
okay let's just hope that Esquivel got a faulty set then

I don't think I got a faulty set (though everything else i got from that one supplier has been faulty). Like I said, the problem showed up when i loosened up my wheels to compensate for axle slip movement. I have been skating these wheels for around a month and in extreme heat so if they were faulty the problem would be there from the get go. It only happened lately when i got huge axle slip. However my 101 classics did not have this problem. I would expect these wheels to be perfect if they were tightened just right so that they only had that little 1mm play. I do hope everybody's sets are fine, this formula 4 - regardless the shape of the wheels- is gold.
Expand Quote
[close]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1341 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »
Despite no understanding what you guys are talking about.....I'm going to recommend the race reds as a solution....

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1342 on: October 26, 2016, 09:13:30 AM »
I've considered race reds for solving similar issues, but I always think about what someone here said about bearing spacers (that skate wheels aren't made to strict enough tolerances for spacers to work like they should).

I wouldn't use the races for the same reason, it seems like wheels need a bit of wiggle room (not tightening down on the nut, no spacers) to account for variances in measurements, especially in the bearing seats. But I might just be crazy.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1343 on: October 26, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
I like spacers, my Bronson and Indy blacks have both lasted a long time. My (regular) reds are the worst bearings I have right now, Powell mini logos are working significantly better for me. My main issue with bearings is longevity. I haven't skated some Swiss for years, and maybe it's time, but most bearings don't seem to vary that much in speed for me, it's more about how long through their life that they maintain that speed. I miss a ton of flip tricks and break bearings in the process. Have you guys felt like the race reds lasted longer?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1344 on: October 26, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »
I've considered race reds for solving similar issues, but I always think about what someone here said about bearing spacers (that skate wheels aren't made to strict enough tolerances for spacers to work like they should).

I wouldn't use the races for the same reason, it seems like wheels need a bit of wiggle room (not tightening down on the nut, no spacers) to account for variances in measurements, especially in the bearing seats. But I might just be crazy.

They don't, some wheels won't allow the spacers to touch at all, some spacers are too large and don't let both of the bearings sit flush with the seat (usually not by much tho). Even bearings with builtins don't always sit flush.

I've stopped using them all together.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1345 on: October 26, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
Another set of Indys, another fucked up, warped baseplate.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1346 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »

Forged or cast?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1347 on: October 26, 2016, 08:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?

Cast. All wobbly, giant space between the board and baseplate. Just shit quality control.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1348 on: October 27, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

Cast. All wobbly, giant space between the board and baseplate. Just shit quality control.

That sucks. From all the probably hundreds of experiences with skate components that I've read all over the internet, especially on here, there isn't a truck that's safe from defects.

I even tried Trackers which every single part of the truck is 100% made in USA, and the yoke wasn't machined properly and had a sharp piece of metal that poked into my bushing and fucked it up. USA or China made doesn't seem to really matter with trucks.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1349 on: October 27, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

[close]

That sucks. From all the probably hundreds of experiences with skate components that I've read all over the internet, especially on here, there isn't a truck that's safe from defects.

I even tried Trackers which every single part of the truck is 100% made in USA, and the yoke wasn't machined properly and had a sharp piece of metal that poked into my bushing and fucked it up. USA or China made doesn't seem to really matter with trucks.

Ahaha it's funny you say that because there have only been 2 maybe 3 times Ive bought a set of trucks and they came as pictured but all the other times some kind of mix up or blemish/small defect of sorts

Like recently where I bought the last set of ace 03 off SoCal and they sent me one old version with the weak aluminum and one new version with the new better grade aluminum and smoother finish/contour and stiffer bushings
yes