Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220674 times)

N.L.

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1350 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Another set of Indys, another fucked up, warped baseplate.
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

Cast. All wobbly, giant space between the board and baseplate. Just shit quality control.

Are you sure its not the board? Sometimes concaves create a gab between baseplate and board.... I've been riding Indy's since the mid 80s and only ever had one set I had to send back...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1351 on: October 27, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

Cast. All wobbly, giant space between the board and baseplate. Just shit quality control.
[close]

Are you sure its not the board? Sometimes concaves create a gab between baseplate and board.... I've been riding Indy's since the mid 80s and only ever had one set I had to send back...
Yea, any flat surface. This is the second set this year.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1352 on: October 27, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

[close]

That sucks. From all the probably hundreds of experiences with skate components that I've read all over the internet, especially on here, there isn't a truck that's safe from defects.

I even tried Trackers which every single part of the truck is 100% made in USA, and the yoke wasn't machined properly and had a sharp piece of metal that poked into my bushing and fucked it up. USA or China made doesn't seem to really matter with trucks.
[close]

Ahaha it's funny you say that because there have only been 2 maybe 3 times Ive bought a set of trucks and they came as pictured but all the other times some kind of mix up or blemish/small defect of sorts

Like recently where I bought the last set of ace 03 off SoCal and they sent me one old version with the weak aluminum and one new version with the new better grade aluminum and smoother finish/contour and stiffer bushings

Your example wasn't a defect though. Just two different designs. Also, Ace's newer design probably isn't even a "stronger" aluminum, it's just more metal on the hanger than before. Someone on here claimed their axles still bend too. But that happens with USA trucks like Indy and Thunder casts. So basically, if you buy a set of trucks that lasts all the way down to the axle without slippage or bending, you got lucky I guess.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1353 on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

[close]

That sucks. From all the probably hundreds of experiences with skate components that I've read all over the internet, especially on here, there isn't a truck that's safe from defects.

I even tried Trackers which every single part of the truck is 100% made in USA, and the yoke wasn't machined properly and had a sharp piece of metal that poked into my bushing and fucked it up. USA or China made doesn't seem to really matter with trucks.
[close]

Ahaha it's funny you say that because there have only been 2 maybe 3 times Ive bought a set of trucks and they came as pictured but all the other times some kind of mix up or blemish/small defect of sorts

Like recently where I bought the last set of ace 03 off SoCal and they sent me one old version with the weak aluminum and one new version with the new better grade aluminum and smoother finish/contour and stiffer bushings
[close]

Your example wasn't a defect though. Just two different designs. Also, Ace's newer design probably isn't even a "stronger" aluminum, it's just more metal on the hanger than before. Someone on here claimed their axles still bend too. But that happens with USA trucks like Indy and Thunder casts. So basically, if you buy a set of trucks that lasts all the way down to the axle without slippage or bending, you got lucky I guess.

idk man, it could just be that but when i spun the wheels the bearing against the old ace axle had a louder metal on metal contact sorta sound while the newer ace had a silentish normal wheel spin sound like every truck when you spin the wheel and just hear the bearing
yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1354 on: October 28, 2016, 08:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

idk man, it could just be that but when i spun the wheels the bearing against the old ace axle had a louder metal on metal contact sorta sound while the newer ace had a silentish normal wheel spin sound like every truck when you spin the wheel and just hear the bearing
Post a pic of your aces, close up on the hangars. I heard they didn't even change anything on anything narrower than 44s.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1355 on: October 28, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Post a pic of your aces, close up on the hangars. I heard they didn't even change anything on anything narrower than 44s.

Correct.  The changes were only done on 44-66.

What you're probably seeing is the shitty Ace quality control.  I've said it before but I've had 2 sets of brand new Aces and they all had different hanger measurements, casting flaws and off center axles.  Literally all 4 hangers were different in some variation

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1356 on: October 28, 2016, 11:55:36 AM »
Happens to every brand, I just don't think many pay that much attention. Granted, ACE are notorious for poor quality control. Shame really.

Indy axles still slip.
My Krux axles are different lengths (doesn't affect anything but number of speedwashers).
ACE still bend

Thunder/Venture seem to be the least shoddy when it comes to user complaints.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #1357 on: October 28, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
Happens to every brand, I just don't think many pay that much attention. Granted, ACE are notorious for poor quality control. Shame really.

Indy axles still slip.
My Krux axles are different lengths (doesn't affect anything but number of speedwashers).
ACE still bend

Thunder/Venture seem to be the least shoddy when it comes to user complaints.

I've had three sets of Thunders in the past two years that bent within the first month of skating them. Two sets of 151's and one set of 147's.

Aces still bend, for sure. I'm riding 44's now, the back truck is bent pretty badly.

Does anyone have experience with hollow Independents? wanted to give those a try.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1358 on: October 28, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged or cast?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1359 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »
sorry the image is too big, couldnt resize cause imgur is acting up
yes

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1360 on: October 29, 2016, 12:04:02 AM »
^Looks nice, I like how the black contrasts with the white wheels

Has anyone here tried mini logo's trucks? I saw the review on that one blog but it was so positive, it seems too good to be true

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1361 on: October 29, 2016, 12:13:10 AM »
^Looks nice, I like how the black contrasts with the white wheels

Has anyone here tried mini logo's trucks? I saw the review on that one blog but it was so positive, it seems too good to be true

Thanks man, bones stf v5 cause idk I'm over the formula four hype, formula fours are really good wheels don't get me wrong but I need something more stf feel. They feel like what a old school bones wheel had to be but more adapted to street now, like grippy and slidy but now more hard to slide easier but still classic bones grip somehow

I've tried the mini logo trucks too and they're good trucks, light, stable, turns good, they're like a lighter lower more carvy Thunder sorta

They were good but idk, I wasn't really feeling the look cause the aesthetics of your gear can mess you up therefore messing with your whole vibe, cause skating like almost everyone says is mental.

The problem though that really got me off them was the pivot cups, one of the trucks had a snug nice pivot cup and the other truck had this cheap loose plastic pivot cup, so basically the truck with the snug nice cup turned well and was much stable and vise versa for the other truck
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1362 on: October 29, 2016, 06:59:22 AM »
Seems like most people here are unhappy with existing truck quality(including me), with quality control becoming more of an issue and all the while prices increase, how much longer can this trend continue? will this force truck companies to start precision manufacturing trucks? are we just out of luck as the fact there is really no better option than the big 4 means its not like we'll be buying a better alternative if we wont to keep skating? is this what the truck companies use to "keep us down"? is it all a matter of cost?.

N.L.

« Reply #1363 on: October 29, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
Seems like most people here are unhappy with existing truck quality(including me), with quality control becoming more of an issue and all the while prices increase, how much longer can this trend continue? will this force truck companies to start precision manufacturing trucks? are we just out of luck as the fact there is really no better option than the big 4 means its not like we'll be buying a better alternative if we wont to keep skating? is this what the truck companies use to "keep us down"? is it all a matter of cost?.

I'm not sure this is a problem beyond a thread on a Slap... If you lads are really having so many problems start sending those trucks back. I get OCD, I really do but at some point you just have to skate.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1364 on: October 29, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »
I'm not sure this is a problem beyond a thread on a Slap... If you lads are really having so many problems start sending those trucks back. I get OCD, I really do but at some point you just have to skate.
Most of the people I know will be skating trucks with completely blown out pivot cups and not give a shit. They just want to skate

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1365 on: October 29, 2016, 10:55:21 AM »

I've now sent 2 sets back this year because of wonky baseplates and 1 set because aluminum from the hangar was melted on to the axle, so I couldn't get a wheel on without grinding the shit off. That's roughly $20 extra dollars in shipping to deal with indy's shit QC

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1366 on: October 29, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trucks cost $50 for a pair and last years. Boards are also cheap and not as exact as some would like. As soon as I head outside I usually step in something unpleasant, smear that into my griptape and proceed to trip/stumble/curse/flop my way along. Each trick attempt wears the board down in uneven ways, the sides get bashed, chips taken out...blah blah. For me boards are already not that evenly weighted or adjusted. Wheels I rotate, but are still all over. My tenuous 'point' is: for me, the small imperfections don't matter. I have maybe 8 set ups going, in various stages of use. Some boards are years old, warped and weird and still fun. I'm not sure why my anxiety and me go to a place of reeeaaaaallly wondering if I should be just cruising around on cast 159s (mine look warped, hadn't noticed till this thread, doesn't do change anything for me) or buying that set of venture 5.25 highs I've been wondering about. Or maybe titanium 149s/159s will flip like 139s but have that fun feel of a wider truck, but with less have the strain on my weak ankles, knees, back, than heavier shit does. Just realized my board is warped too, but it's old and...doesn't bother me. It does suck that so many brands make cheap shit. And I've been hearing from ALOT of people that Indy quality has been really bad lately, guys that were only Indy breaking multiple sets, lots of the younger guys changing to thunder...I hop no one has read this far.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1367 on: October 29, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »

I've now sent 2 sets back this year because of wonky baseplates and 1 set because aluminum from the hangar was melted on to the axle, so I couldn't get a wheel on without grinding the shit off. That's roughly $20 extra dollars in shipping to deal with indy's shit QC
you shouldn't have to do that, but just put the embases in your oven full heat for 10-15 min and hit them with a hammer to make them right

Main

« Reply #1368 on: October 29, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
Yeah, so the Trackers with the fucked up yoke. I had a set of Indy's and a set of Gullwing's that had aluminum on the axle and when I pushed my bearing into the wheel I couldn't even get it off. Another time I had a set of Thunders with a warped baseplate that wobbled side to side. Ace's with uneven axles and loose kingpins...

*Passes flashlight*

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #1369 on: October 29, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
I just set up some Indy 159 Hollows. The quality is much higher on these than the regular ones.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: October 29, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you shouldn't have to do that, but just put the embases in your oven full heat for 10-15 min and hit them with a hammer to make them right

I'm no blacksmith and my name isn't Cam...

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1371 on: October 29, 2016, 07:45:12 PM »
my bad... ;D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1372 on: October 29, 2016, 07:50:35 PM »
Just swapped in some riptides on my thunders...nice.

Even tho they are the indy cups they match height and shape for stock thunders. They're dreamy. No squeak squeak squeakety squeak squeaks anymore. Out of the bag they feel slippery smooth, oily (but not). FYI you ccan order them direct from them and get ace cups.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1373 on: October 31, 2016, 01:34:47 AM »
woah...

guys guys, these ace lows are superb!! :D ;D

theyre light, but solid, the bushings are kinda stiff as known but they rebound really really well and only take like an hour session or 2 sessions to break in super nicely. they feel like a somehow bouncier stable indy or thunder.

i dont know how to say but they just like, turn nice and quick with some carve but rebound to center im afraid to say faster than thunders.

maybe cause theyre cylinder/barrel is why they return to center and stabilize so fast but that urethane is something truly right for a medium tight, they respond to turns nicely

idk so far so very good, only bad thing was because theyre pretty stiff fresh like a slap member said the new bushings required a thread looser to get some response but gotta watch out cause the nyloc nut gets looser and will fall off if you carve around too much and forget the nut isnt flush(cause obviously the nut doesnt have the nylon collar locking it in when not tightened flush or more)

these trucks are the very opposite of how i felt with the tensor lows, just wow expectations exceeded quite a bit

again sorry for the big pic and for these long trash replies, especially on low trucks when lows are for suckers who cant pop or live in the late 90ś/early 2000ś when lows were the only way on a 7.5-7.8 hahaha
yes

Main

« Reply #1374 on: October 31, 2016, 01:40:00 AM »
Found some Grind King kingpins for a really really good price if anyone is interested!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grind-King-Kingpin-Set-With-Inserts-/291840114836?hash=item43f306c094:g:PZAAAOSwRGlXp~In

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1375 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:11 AM »
Found some Grind King kingpins for a really really good price if anyone is interested!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grind-King-Kingpin-Set-With-Inserts-/291840114836?hash=item43f306c094:g:PZAAAOSwRGlXp~In

ahaha are they really guaranteed for life? ::)
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1376 on: October 31, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »
I rode ACE03s a few years ago, with bones hards, they were wonderful, if not counter-intuitive given I ride loose trucks ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:28:06 AM by Xen »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1377 on: October 31, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ahaha are they really guaranteed for life? ::)

IDK but they got free shipping haha
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1378 on: November 01, 2016, 01:07:53 AM »
I rode ACE03s a few years ago, with bones hards, they were wonderful, if not counter-intuitive give I ride loose trucks ;)

dude i had another session today and damn, damn damn these are good trucks ;D

these are my definite trucks til axle and more and buy again

theyre all my expectations of what i need in a truck: light, solid, low, and a decent turn

idk guys these ACE03 kinda remind me of my old classic krux downlows, the low solid decent turning feel

i rode those krux downlows for like 3 years then the big board movement came and i stepped it up with some og thunder 147 hi and they were really good, no disappointment. the shape was a bit odd because the hangar looked like a cut out but now theyre remastered and look beautiful but i feel they just took the force trucks mold, that truck company that was really made known for a good min because of pudwill being on

but i had a set of force trucks cause this dude i knew stopped skating for a while and gave me his old stuff(had some bones swiss on it :D) and i noticed the hangar on the force trucks was the exact same way the remastered thunders looked, maybe a little longer on the pivot stem but same contours and all, maybe when deluxe took over venture and maybe they took force too they decided the shape is what they were going for thunder.

i feel the old 147 hi hangars were lighter though.
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1379 on: November 01, 2016, 06:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Drop of coconut oil, dry bike chain lube, dish soap...whatever,  in the pivot cup. Usually sorts out the squeaking for me. Thunders yield more consistent flippery for me too. Question: what size trucks did you have on the 7.75? I have this feeling that width is a highly over considered measurement. 8-8.38 who cares. 8" trucks vs 8.5" trucks tho? For me, way different
[close]
For anyone dealing with pivot cup issues, take bmcsteves advice from the first page of this thread and get some finish line dry teflon chain lube. It's more than worth the $5 to have a silent setup.

What process would one use for this lube? I haven't bought any yet. I'm debating if I do or do not care still. When I'm doing tricks I don't notice due to focusing on what I'm doing, but when I'm just cruising I definitely pay attention to the squeak. I've been skating better than I have in a long time since trying these Thunder 147s though. Kinda mad at myself for not trying before. I haven't got to try many grinds yet, but stability and flop tricks seem top notch. Plus, jumping from 7.75 to 8.125 AND different trucks, I'm surprised it's been so easy.