Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220776 times)

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1380 on: November 01, 2016, 07:21:58 AM »
i am just furious that in the year 2016 no company can guarantee that the axles of their trucks will not slip. It is like theft. Someone please point out a company to guarantee non slip axles and i'm going to buy 10 sets.
never had any problems with trucks apart from slipping axle in pretty much every truck i have owned. Amazing solutions for this problem  have been posted here and being an engineer i know it is super easy (process wise) to make non slip axles.
Or maybe they don't really need to! It is only a matter of having sheep to repeatedly buy faulty goods because there is no other choice.
Dunno, i'm fucking butthurt that's all. 2 seriously defective sets of thunder hollows in the past 6 months and counting...
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

BMCsteve

« Reply #1381 on: November 01, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Drop of coconut oil, dry bike chain lube, dish soap...whatever,  in the pivot cup. Usually sorts out the squeaking for me. Thunders yield more consistent flippery for me too. Question: what size trucks did you have on the 7.75? I have this feeling that width is a highly over considered measurement. 8-8.38 who cares. 8" trucks vs 8.5" trucks tho? For me, way different
[close]
For anyone dealing with pivot cup issues, take bmcsteves advice from the first page of this thread and get some finish line dry teflon chain lube. It's more than worth the $5 to have a silent setup.
[close]

What process would one use for this lube? I haven't bought any yet. I'm debating if I do or do not care still. When I'm doing tricks I don't notice due to focusing on what I'm doing, but when I'm just cruising I definitely pay attention to the squeak. I've been skating better than I have in a long time since trying these Thunder 147s though. Kinda mad at myself for not trying before. I haven't got to try many grinds yet, but stability and flop tricks seem top notch. Plus, jumping from 7.75 to 8.125 AND different trucks, I'm surprised it's been so easy.

Take the hanger off, shake the lube really well (you need to mix the teflon), put 2 small drops in each pivot cup, reassemble and skate.  You'll notice that some leaks out onto the hanger (don't worry it doesnt reach the bushings) wipe that off and you're good to go

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1382 on: November 01, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
i am just furious that in the year 2016 no company can guarantee that the axles of their trucks will not slip. It is like theft. Someone please point out a company to guarantee non slip axles and i'm going to buy 10 sets.
never had any problems with trucks apart from slipping axle in pretty much every truck i have owned. Amazing solutions for this problem  have been posted here and being an engineer i know it is super easy (process wise) to make non slip axles.
Or maybe they don't really need to! It is only a matter of having sheep to repeatedly buy faulty goods because there is no other choice.
Dunno, i'm fucking butthurt that's all. 2 seriously defective sets of thunder hollows in the past 6 months and counting...

https://www.theevetrucks.com/product/Theeve-TiHANGER-Raw-Trucks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1383 on: November 01, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Found some Grind King kingpins for a really really good price if anyone is interested!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grind-King-Kingpin-Set-With-Inserts-/291840114836?hash=item43f306c094:g:PZAAAOSwRGlXp~In
[close]

ahaha are they really guaranteed for life? ::)

[close]

IDK but they got free shipping haha

At $300 US they better....

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1384 on: November 01, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Drop of coconut oil, dry bike chain lube, dish soap...whatever,  in the pivot cup. Usually sorts out the squeaking for me. Thunders yield more consistent flippery for me too. Question: what size trucks did you have on the 7.75? I have this feeling that width is a highly over considered measurement. 8-8.38 who cares. 8" trucks vs 8.5" trucks tho? For me, way different
[close]
For anyone dealing with pivot cup issues, take bmcsteves advice from the first page of this thread and get some finish line dry teflon chain lube. It's more than worth the $5 to have a silent setup.
[close]

What process would one use for this lube? I haven't bought any yet. I'm debating if I do or do not care still. When I'm doing tricks I don't notice due to focusing on what I'm doing, but when I'm just cruising I definitely pay attention to the squeak. I've been skating better than I have in a long time since trying these Thunder 147s though. Kinda mad at myself for not trying before. I haven't got to try many grinds yet, but stability and flop tricks seem top notch. Plus, jumping from 7.75 to 8.125 AND different trucks, I'm surprised it's been so easy.

Stoked trucks are working out for you! And going up in size, way easier than going down...(sus). Annnnnnyways, as mentioned, BMC with the excellent idea of dry bike chain lube for the pivot cup. You need a small amount, the stuff doesn't cost much, works the best. I just take the hangar off and place a small amount into the cup, using the pivot from the hangar to spread the lube. 2 minute operation. Pretty much the only thing that bugs me about ventures is the squeaky pivot cup, but I'm already usually taking the hangar off to get at the outer baseplate mounting hardware so....glad thunders are working. I have had good experiences with the quality as well

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1385 on: November 01, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »

Axle slip is super annoying. Back when I was actually semi competent on a skateboard it was extremely prevelant, especially Indys. Constantly tapping them on shit. Been a little bit of a venture shill on here lately, which is funnny as I'm skating 139s, but the venture hi geometry feels to me to be in between Indys and thunders, and I haven't had a problem with their quality since the 90's. Use to break em back then, rock solid now. They aren't guaranteed to my knowledge, and for you being out of the US the shipping is most likely the worst part. As mentioned by others, pretty weird that a more precise option doesn't exist

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1386 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:14 PM »
Reason I bought tih's......

I've mentioned that my theory is race reds can really help axel slip.....everything ridden tight....no play....no slip....

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1387 on: November 01, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »

I've mentioned that my theory is race reds can really help axel slip.....everything ridden tight....no play....no slip....

they definitely can if the wheels are poured with precision bearing seats. i think non cored wheels tend to have a pretty large bearing seat spacing variance that prevents them from fully taking advantage of race reds and regular spacers like (cored) longboard wheels do

back to trucks, still running venture 5.2 his pretty loose but considering switching to indy or ace for my next pair

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1388 on: November 01, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »

Somehow never gave theeves a try. I will say that I did stare at the $150 ones for a little too long online. Which ones do you have? What's your verdict? Geometry is the overwhelming criteria for me. And by that I mean how is the pop. Haven't had a truck I couldn't get to turn, obviously some better than others.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1389 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

they definitely can if the wheels are poured with precision bearing seats. i think non cored wheels tend to have a pretty large bearing seat spacing variance that prevents them from fully taking advantage of race reds and regular spacers like (cored) longboard wheels do

back to trucks, still running venture 5.2 his pretty loose but considering switching to indy or ace for my next pair

Venture 5.2 hi's are most likely my next. I have the lows and they are excellent, relegated to 52mm and under is lame tho. I love small wheels, I don't love haaaaving to ride them. Any pro/cons to your venture experience?

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1390 on: November 01, 2016, 11:58:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Venture 5.2 hi's are most likely my next. I have the lows and they are excellent, relegated to 52mm and under is lame tho. I love small wheels, I don't love haaaaving to ride them. Any pro/cons to your venture experience?

[close]

They throw off your tricks, the stock bushings are pretty hard. Great clearance and definitely help with manuals.
From my experience with the his
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1391 on: November 02, 2016, 01:12:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dude, definitely ACEś. aces all the way. the geometry and all make them such an amazing truck. i might have the lows but can tell you aces are like if you got thunders quick turn and light weight in an indy so you still get some carvy turns but more stability and less weight.

plus it wont be such a crazy difference cause i think venture hi and ace hi run at 53mm/53.5mm tall rather than the slightly overwhelming indy standard height at 55mm tall

you notice the 55mm tallness when you start getting tired and notice how much effort it takes to tap the tail to the ground and get some pop. at least thats how i feel.
yes

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1392 on: November 02, 2016, 02:25:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Take the hanger off, shake the lube really well (you need to mix the teflon), put 2 small drops in each pivot cup, reassemble and skate.  You'll notice that some leaks out onto the hanger (don't worry it doesnt reach the bushings) wipe that off and you're good to go

Jesus. Sorry guys. Didn't read Steve's post before I chimed in with some redundancy. Apologies

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1393 on: November 02, 2016, 06:26:05 AM »
back to Thunders again... but wanted to lessen the change from surfy indys, saw these photos of Dylan and Austyn's trucks, and gave the ol Bones Med a try again...without washers.  skated em last night and liked it.

hardly art, hardly starving

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1394 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Somehow never gave theeves a try. I will say that I did stare at the $150 ones for a little too long online. Which ones do you have? What's your verdict? Geometry is the overwhelming criteria for me. And by that I mean how is the pop. Haven't had a truck I couldn't get to turn, obviously some better than others.

I have the older design and they work well for me.....the titanium grinds weird but I've accepted it and now like how light they are....they don't really grind down either.....

Haven't  measured them but they feel like a higher truck.....in the Indy, Ace family versus the Thunder, Venture family......I like how they turn but may not address your pop....

With thr cores....I ride bones wheels and they seem to line up well......

I'm with you guys though.....axel slip is annoying.....I went like 20 years of slipping indys.....and my flat ground game isn't getting any better.....

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1395 on: November 02, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They've definitely improved the stock bushings from what they used to be. Ventures seem to require more force to pop but pop more because of the extended wheelbase. No axle bending or slipping. The geometry is a double edged sword, super stable at high speeds but definitely not as maneuverable as Other trucks

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1396 on: November 02, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
back to Thunders again... but wanted to lessen the change from surfy indys, saw these photos of Dylan and Austyn's trucks, and gave the ol Bones Med a try again...without washers.  skated em last night and liked it.

Team plates!

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1397 on: November 02, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
How do thunders feel with bones bushings instead of the stock?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1398 on: November 02, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »
a lil less spazzy... but still sharper than Indy w/bones
hardly art, hardly starving

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1399 on: November 02, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »
How do thunders feel with bones bushings instead of the stock?

good but it makes the pivot cup more prone to breaking. i was on the thunder hi/bones mediums for about 5 years. gave the 95duro thunder aftermarket bushings a shot and in my experience they're waaaaay better
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

micky682

« Reply #1400 on: November 02, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
If I want a similar feel to the Indy stock bushings, should I get the aftermarket conical orange ones?

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1401 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Stock Indy's are 90a cylinder bottoms

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1402 on: November 03, 2016, 12:49:22 AM »
I've been skating better than I have in a long time since trying these Thunder 147s though. Kinda mad at myself for not trying before. I haven't got to try many grinds yet, but stability and flop tricks seem top notch. Plus, jumping from 7.75 to 8.125 AND different trucks, I'm surprised it's been so easy.
Glad it's been an easy transition for ya. 7.75 → 8.5 and Thunder 149s is doing my head in at the moment. As xen (?) suggested I haven't tighten the kingpins at all so my first two sessions have kinda sucked. Super x2 squirrelly trucks but I will say that at least they return to centre almost immediately and I'm yet to get wheelbite which is surprising me. Maybe I shouldn't have made such a big jump in sizes?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1403 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Team plates!

aha trust, the team plates/gravity cast plates just give more board feel even though theyre thicker they just give you a more solid feel. thats why i only do gravity cast, no forged cause the feel is odd
yes

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1404 on: November 03, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
I'm on some 139 Indys, but I cannot stand the axle slip anymore, I live in Europe so I guess no warranty for me... I only rode Indys for the last 10 years, but I just can't stand the axle slip anymore. I have to stomp my truck every 15 minutes and it's just not bearable anymore.

My question is about Thunders, never had Thunders and wanted to try, but I don't want to deal with any slippage. Does Thunder has the same issue with slippage?
What are you feedbacks?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1405 on: November 03, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »
In the 80s, indys were a guaranteed sip, had to bang that shit back in place every session, that's why we all switched to thunders or ventures back then, they did slip but to a lesser degree.

I hear thunders getting slip, but that's only here on slap where I'd say more people have indys slip than thunders.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1406 on: November 03, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm on some 139 Indys, but I cannot stand the axle slip anymore, I live in Europe so I guess no warranty for me... I only rode Indys for the last 10 years, but I just can't stand the axle slip anymore. I have to stomp my truck every 15 minutes and it's just not bearable anymore.

My question is about Thunders, never had Thunders and wanted to try, but I don't want to deal with any slippage. Does Thunder has the same issue with slippage?
What are you feedbacks?

I've had Axle slip with every truck i've had, except for thunders and indy's. I do hear that Indy's slip a lot, but I'm currently with a set of Koston Indy's stage XI that are forget and hollow and they dont have any sign of slip, even after almost 2 years of use. Maybe it's the hollow axle that it's better designed, dunno.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1407 on: November 03, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been skating better than I have in a long time since trying these Thunder 147s though. Kinda mad at myself for not trying before. I haven't got to try many grinds yet, but stability and flop tricks seem top notch. Plus, jumping from 7.75 to 8.125 AND different trucks, I'm surprised it's been so easy.
[close]
Glad it's been an easy transition for ya. 7.75 → 8.5 and Thunder 149s is doing my head in at the moment. As xen (?) suggested I haven't tighten the kingpins at all so my first two sessions have kinda sucked. Super x2 squirrelly trucks but I will say that at least they return to centre almost immediately and I'm yet to get wheelbite which is surprising me. Maybe I shouldn't have made such a big jump in sizes?

That first session, I was all over the place. Second session I just did a bunch of fullspeed skating/carving through the city to break bushings in. Third session I started doing flip tricks and stuff. I think it took me 4 to get used to it. The board looks huge to me when I'm not on it. Visually, I prefer the look of the small boards. So far in my 8.125 era, I do feel like I am landing more solid/securely. I am seriously blown away at how consistent my flip tricks have been with Thunder though. I do think that second session helped me, I did my old time run through my entire city and carved as much as possible. I feel like this helped me get used to Thunder and this big board.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1408 on: November 03, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »
I've never had any slip with Indys. 1986-2016. I broke one kingpin, right before they went to stage IX. A kickflip off a sidewalk, I was dumbfounded. I held the board, stared at for a long time, did not even know how to react. Had I known they were about to change the hanger, I would have bought 1000 pairs of stage VII's and VIII's though.

I had axle slip with the Venture featherlites in 92, and whatever Ventures in 94-97. Not TOO bad, just here and there. And I skated good on Ventures, enough so that I didn't mind.
I definitely had axle slip with trying Destructos in '99 possibly. I believe my review of those trucks were: "Not bad, not good", if that makes any sense. I think my thought process was that I could maybe ollie higher like Reese "the Forbinator" Forbes at that time. I definitely couldn't and should have taken it as a sign when he didn't win his own ollie challenge.

I think the most wacky trucks I've seen were Orions. My younger skate friend was really into Kareem "Reemo" Campbell, and bought some because that was Kareem's sponsor (probably rode Ventures or Indys). He asked me "Can you make these loose like Kareem's?" , one of the funniest things I've ever heard. (he asked me to tighten/loosen all his shit all the time, I swear he had a phobia of tools. Later he became addicted to crack for a few years, and only listened to bands with dead band members: Doors, Blind Melon, Alice in Chains etc. Now he's sober and wants to be a lawyer).

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1409 on: November 03, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Cool, thanks Steve, I'm gonna try this when I get the chance. I'm always nervous taking the hangers off after getting used to a truck, like I won't find that same good spot again. :-S