Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220987 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1410 on: November 03, 2016, 07:28:43 PM »
That first session, I was all over the place. Second session I just did a bunch of fullspeed skating/carving through the city to break bushings in. Third session I started doing flip tricks and stuff. I think it took me 4 to get used to it. The board looks huge to me when I'm not on it. Visually, I prefer the look of the small boards. So far in my 8.125 era, I do feel like I am landing more solid/securely. I am seriously blown away at how consistent my flip tricks have been with Thunder though. I do think that second session helped me, I did my old time run through my entire city and carved as much as possible. I feel like this helped me get used to Thunder and this big board.
Thanks for that mate, I'll have another few rolls before winter kicks in and see how it goes. I think the sheer length of this board (as opposed to the width) is what's doing my head in/ messing with my pop the most. Bombing hills has never been so fun so maybe I'll just focus on that for the meantime.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1411 on: November 03, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
That first session, I was all over the place. Second session I just did a bunch of fullspeed skating/carving through the city to break bushings in. Third session I started doing flip tricks and stuff. I think it took me 4 to get used to it. The board looks huge to me when I'm not on it. Visually, I prefer the look of the small boards. So far in my 8.125 era, I do feel like I am landing more solid/securely. I am seriously blown away at how consistent my flip tricks have been with Thunder though. I do think that second session helped me, I did my old time run through my entire city and carved as much as possible. I feel like this helped me get used to Thunder and this big board.
[close]
Thanks for that mate, I'll have another few rolls before winter kicks in and see how it goes. I think the sheer length of this board (as opposed to the width) is what's doing my head in/ messing with my pop the most. Bombing hills has never been so fun so maybe I'll just focus on that for the meantime.

What size is the board? I have a mental block against longer boards. I can't go over 31.7 (keep in mind that I am 5'8" here!). They just feel too long to my short ass legs. When I'm looking through websites and I see something I like until I check the length. If I see 32-anything I quit. For example, the new Bino Hero AH deck? "Man that is awesome, I'd really like to skate that, oh wait... 33" long? 15" wheelbase? You gotta be like 7'9" for that to make sense". Do keep in mind, I basically rode 7.63 x 31.25 from eh 1998 until I "moved up" to 7.75 a few months ago. (Prior to 98,probably 7.5 from what 94?!). I only decided to "sell out" and ride a wider board because of the recurring rear-foot-kicking-my-board-away-upon-re-entry-of-kickflips (which I mostly attributed to newer style Indys/my rustiness from never getting to skate/ and possibly skinny decks). I'm trying to be a little open minded, now that I'm 40. I feel like I have to try some new stuff to"grow" (a big part of this , is having my son and I know I'm a total jerk in daily life, so I'm trying to force myself to be nicer/better person. I figure it can't hurt to adapt it into my skating too... I've been anti-boards over 7.88 since ...93? 94? but well I'm skating decent with this 8.125 so, I'm trying to just go with it. (I have recurring panic/anxiety about my choice to try new trucks/wide decks on and offall day long at work while I fantasize that I'm skating instead of being at work. I go back and forth about being open minded on my wide deck and Thunders.. whilst pondering the sweet, safe , nostalgia and comfort of some baggy jeans, skinny deck and Venture Lo's, while wearing thick/stiff/bulky tech shoes)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1412 on: November 03, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »
Hahaha your post had my laughing for sure, gotta love that old man anxiety.
It's an 8.5 x 32.88 (see the setup thread) ... I probably should have checked the length before impulse buying it ttyt but I was buying a board for my son and just chucked it in the shopping cart to save on shipping. I rode 7.75 for as long as I can remember but as I said, the width isn't really fucking with me as much as I thought it would, I'm guessing half of it is all in my head but it feels like a bit of surfboard when I'm trying tricks. I'll have another few rolls on it and if it doesn't work out I'll just bite the bullet, sell it on here and then pay to get a new board shipped out :-\

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1413 on: November 03, 2016, 08:44:49 PM »
Don't worry man if it doesn't work just make sure you remember, wheel base. Gah so much of a difference with this 14 inch compared to my last real with I think 14.18-14.25 wheel base
yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1414 on: November 04, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
I don't know how to get back in to the mindset years ago, where I didn't give a shit and just rode Ventures.  My problem lies in I have this idea that I can't skate tranny on them. I need to go watch some Wade Speyer footage.

I think if Thunder 147 Hi's were actually high, or at least the same height as the 149s, I wouldn't be having this problem.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1415 on: November 04, 2016, 07:01:21 AM »
I don't know how to get back in to the mindset years ago, where I didn't give a shit and just rode Ventures.  My problem lies in I have this idea that I can't skate tranny on them. I need to go watch some Wade Speyer footage.

I think if Thunder 147 Hi's were actually high, or at least the same height as the 149s, I wouldn't be having this problem.

Use team plates or risers? Team plates only add a few MM tho, but it helps.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiIiAtl5pQk

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1416 on: November 04, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
I don't know how to get back in to the mindset years ago, where I didn't give a shit and just rode Ventures.  My problem lies in I have this idea that I can't skate tranny on them. I need to go watch some Wade Speyer footage.

I skate thunders and small risers on my ramp set up....I don't really want to carve anyhow....longer wheelbase helps too.....

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1417 on: November 04, 2016, 09:08:30 AM »
I was going to pick up some ventures yesterday, but the shop didn't have the size I needed  :'(

So instead I pulled the trigger on some AVE stage 11's! Even though I avoided them, I haven't actually rode indys in almost a decade. I figure I'll give them a fair shake and get the ventures anyway, I don't like spending so willy nilly but trucks are an investment lol.

These stage 11's are weird though, I just messed around outside and my immediate impressions were:

-weird turn, super tippy, but slow to actually change direction
-weird pop, way late, but works

weird.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1418 on: November 04, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't know how to get back in to the mindset years ago, where I didn't give a shit and just rode Ventures.  My problem lies in I have this idea that I can't skate tranny on them. I need to go watch some Wade Speyer footage.

[close]

I skate thunders and small risers on my ramp set up....I don't really want to carve anyhow....longer wheelbase helps too.....
I got these 147 titanium's used from skate santa. I can't even skate right now because of a busted ankle and it's ridiculous how much just having these things in my place is messing with me. I feel like Gollum. They're on ebay in the hopes they go away.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1419 on: November 04, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
Skate gollum. Amazing. Level and fang thanks for making me laugh

BMCsteve

« Reply #1420 on: November 04, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I got these 147 titanium's used from skate santa. I can't even skate right now because of a busted ankle and it's ridiculous how much just having these things in my place is messing with me. I feel like Gollum. They're on ebay in the hopes they go away.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1421 on: November 05, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »
So if you hate risers that stick out as much as I do, Bones fit almost perfectly under Thunders. Way better than anything, includinggiant Thunder risers.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1422 on: November 05, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »
So if you hate risers that stick out as much as I do, Bones fit almost perfectly under Thunders. Way better than anything, includinggiant Thunder risers.

thats crazy i thought only krooked and thunder risers worked for thunders since they dont have the pre drilled holes but just like pre cuts for adjusting
yes

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1423 on: November 06, 2016, 01:02:49 AM »
I've always used Shorty's Dooks hard plastic risers with Indy's and Ace and they fit perfectly and don't stick out at all. Six hole drill pattern.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1424 on: November 06, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
what are your guys top truck list?

my top 5 so far:
Ace
Thunder
Krux
Indy
venture

yes that is my best to worst, ventures not being THE worst but just 5th
yes

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1425 on: November 06, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
Maybe:

1. Thunder
2. Venture
3. Indy
4. Ace
5. Theeve

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1426 on: November 06, 2016, 08:33:40 PM »
1. Indy
2. fuck
3. fuck
4. fuck
5. fuck

;D

1. Indy
2. thunder
3. krux (never tried, but you can open beers with)
4. venture(not a fan)
5. minilogo or theeve (heard good things about, but never tried)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:21:41 AM by the snake »

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1427 on: November 06, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
1.thunder
2.indy
3.the shitty trucks i got from a tony hawk target board

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1428 on: November 06, 2016, 09:41:29 PM »
1. Thunder 147's
2. Venture
3. Thunder 149's
4. Tie between Ace/Krux (Ace are more "fun", Krux more reliable)
5. Indy

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1429 on: November 06, 2016, 11:08:43 PM »
awwww damn you guys reminded me i had a set of theeves, idk how i really feel but ill tie them with indy cause theyre very true turning trucks and good pop response but they kinda lack that special something something that gives personality, they just feel like good true turn trucks but nothing standout

mini logo i actually place above venture, theyre low like a venture lo but feel like a thunder hi so thats a plus
yes

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #1430 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
I'm not a truck nerd like the rest of you guys. This thread is nuts, but I enjoy browsing it. Anyway, I've been on this destructors since the spring. 139mm mids. They are all stock and I don't tighten or loosen my trucks when I get them.

[img=100x50]https://i.imgur.com/rjYn9dJ.jpg[/img]
[img=100x50]https://i.imgur.com/0iF6MqC.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:49:19 AM by TwisT »

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1431 on: November 07, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
I'm not a truck nerd like the rest of you guys. This thread is nuts, but I enjoy browsing it. Anyway, I've been on this destructors since the spring. 139mm mids. They are all stock and I don't tighten or loosen my trucks when I get them.
Well if I remember correctly from my younger years. Destructos come with VERY good bushings.

N.L.

« Reply #1432 on: November 07, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »

my top 5 so far:
Ace
Thunder
Krux
Indy
venture

yes that is my best to worst, ventures not being THE worst but just 5th

1)Indy
2)Thunder/ Ace
4)Krux
5)Venture (although I haven't ridden them since the BPSW era...)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1433 on: November 07, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
Someone should unearth some Mercury Trucks
hardly art, hardly starving

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1434 on: November 07, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
... Or a set of glow in the dark kre-per.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1435 on: November 07, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »

Venture 5.2 V-hollow high
Venture 5.8 high
Indy 139 stage 10
Z-rollers
Gullwing of course, these in particular...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:19:24 PM by yapple dapple »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1436 on: November 07, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »

Indy
Thunder
Theeve
Venture

Really looking to try different brands because of the bad influence Slap is haha
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1437 on: November 08, 2016, 01:01:09 AM »
Indy
Theeve
Ace
Thunder
G&S

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1438 on: November 08, 2016, 02:16:33 AM »
Indy
Theeve
Ace
Thunder
G&S

Aha G&S made trucks ?
yes

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #1439 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
Phantom 2
Phantom 1
Fury
Kreeper ( am i making this up or did they have glow in the dark trucks?)
and Royal....

But for real, I've been on indys so long i can't remember how any other trucks were, obviously thunder would be second and the set of royals i had were so god awful i traded my friend trucks.

i have been super curious about ace for a while though just afraid to pull the trigger