Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221034 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1440 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »

what are your guys top truck list?

1.Destructo
2.Indy
3.Theeve
5. Thunder/Venture

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1441 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »
Venture
Thunder
Ace
Krux
Indy
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1442 on: November 08, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
ACE
Theeve
Thunder
Venture
Indy
Krux

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1443 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
My top all time:
1) Indy stage VIII 126
2) Venture featherlights (lites?)
3) Venture Lo 5.0
4) Indy stage VII 136
5) Indy stage VI 149/159
6) Indy stage V 169

Top currently:
1) Venture Lo 5.25
2) Venture Lo 5.0
3) Thunder 147 Hi
4) Indy stage X 129
5) Indy stage XI 139

All of my ratings are based on where I was skating-wise at the time (including tricks/comfort/confidence/etc) . I definitely was at my "total peak" overall with Indy stage VIII. My first "semi-peak" was BPSW era Ventures. And my "declining peak" was Venture Lo 5.0s. Funny to think that I had 169's on a Rob Roskopp in 86, I bet that looked huge compared to my 10 year old body. Again, I am really enjoying my Thunders, so my information on them is incomplete, as I've only used them the last month here, and I get to skate sporadically so that's whatever. And I keep Venture above them due to knowing I can hop on them and just feel regular. Still getting used to the turn/flip/grind of Thunder. Also my stage XI Indy info is incomplete, as I didn't really skate them that much. And I have multiple setups, although I currently only am riding the 8.125 w/ Thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1444 on: November 08, 2016, 07:08:50 PM »
Funny thing, back in my prime, when I was skating at my very, very best, I rode these:

Gullwing Street Shadows...because hensley road them.

Back then, we still used risers, these had the extra height built in, they were lighter than indy and skated just fine.

Look at dem hangers!

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1445 on: November 08, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »
Damn talk about solid baseplates haha
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1446 on: November 09, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Funny thing, back in my prime, when I was skating at my very, very best, I rode these:

Back then, we still used risers, these had the extra height built in, they were lighter than indy and skated just fine.

Look at dem hangers!

I had the hensley with the window graphic, with Gullwing street shadows and ollie wheels just like him. I never got used to it though. Right before that I had a world Jeremy Klein with indys , supercush bushings , Swiss and Powell freestyle wheels. That board was fun. Only board that ever got stolen from me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1447 on: November 09, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
I think I rode the street shadows no riser......I remember already starting to try and lower things......venture was a big deal around then too... I still think of Gonz as a Venture guy....Natas was a Thunder guy.....don't believe the love letters.....it wasn't all Indy.....

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1448 on: November 09, 2016, 07:34:52 PM »
I think I rode the street shadows no riser......I remember already starting to try and lower things......venture was a big deal around then too... I still think of Gonz as a Venture guy....Natas was a Thunder guy.....don't believe the love letters.....it wasn't all Indy.....

Yeah Indy trucks aren't bad but the Indy brotherhood thing is dumb.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1449 on: November 09, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »
Right up there with Thrasher......

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1450 on: November 11, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »

Look at dem hangers!

Haha. I had those trucks too back in the day. The only time I ever ordered a board from CCS or some other mailorder. It was a Smallroom board, those Gullwing street shadows (they were all black though, baseplate and hanger), and some black Bullet 60mm (the smaller, street wheel). The board was black too. I loved that thing. Can't remember if it had risers or not.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1451 on: November 12, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »
The history of Indy/stages are easily available.
Anyone know a place online with the history of Thunder and Venture are?
I'd like to see the evolution of their trucks from the beginning as well

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1452 on: November 12, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »

;)
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105448&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #1453 on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
I am a nerd when it comes to the history of skate gear and stories behind how certain brands came to be and blah, blah, blah...
To the best of what I could gather last winter when it was snowing and I had nothing better to do other than research old skate stuff, I found some of these things...
Thunder-
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105448&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Shrewgy has a really good post on page 2 of the above thread link. He was like an old TM for Thunder and Spitfire back in the day and I think he has something to do with Ace now.
Venture-
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146993&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ermico&start=0

https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130128&highlight=thunder

Skate library also has some really cool pics of old ads on the brand pages of Thunder and Venture. In some of the ads you can kinda see what the older versions of the trucks looked like and stuff.
http://skately.com/library

Whenever it's snowing or I'm injured I like to feed my brain with old truck info... Just kinda sucks that alot of the pictures in those threads and stuff are so old that they are no longer showing up, but oh well.

Edit: Xen I noticed I posted the same link that you posted, I wasn't trying to "steal your THUNDER"  ;)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:05:14 AM by Doughboy »

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1454 on: November 12, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
Wow, thanks guys, awesome info here.
I checked skately before posting that. Thought it was odd that both trucks libraries are kinda empty pertaining to 1990-1994?

What spawned my thoughts on this was this:
In december 1992, I bought the Plan B Sheffey Malcolm X deck and I asked the guy at the shop for Ventures.
I didn't watch what he put in the bag, I paid then left. I drove 25 minutes home, opened the bag and saw "Thunder" on my baseplate.
I flipped out (at home). "How dare this mere peasant giveth to me Thunder, when having requested Venture!"
Anyway, I went back and his nonchalant attitude irritated me even more: "They're basically the same"
I said "Yeah except where one is called Thunder and one is called Venture" (I was 16 and a prick, keep that in mind)
Anyway, I still have that Sheffey board, complete with the Ventures. BUT I was wondering what the Thunders of that period looked like.
(The outside of the hangar mostly, which so far in the Thunder thread, the pics are mostly the underneath side. I am guessing they're the T-4's though.)

P.S. the pics of the original Featherlights in theVenture thread are great! Loved those
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:53:22 PM by fang »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1455 on: November 12, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Thunder I don't think really picked up steam until the late 90's?  Early 2000's?  I'd say they hold down number two relatively well now.....not saying no one skated them but they seem more popular now.....good read....the ads used to have S&M shit in them I think......

I would have been pissed if someone had swapped a set of thunders for ventures too....

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1456 on: November 12, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »
Thunder I don't think really picked up steam until the late 90's?  Early 2000's?  I'd say they hold down number two relatively well now.....not saying no one skated them but they seem more popular now.....good read....the ads used to have S&M shit in them I think......

I would have been pissed if someone had swapped a set of thunders for ventures too....

Yeah, I distinctly remember thunders being thought of as a "budget/beginners" truck (which doesn't make any sense). But in the 00's Indy and Venture were the trucks to ride, I don't really understand why thunder wasn't as well respected.

Does anyone else remember thunder always playing second fiddle? Could just be my area.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:47:32 PM by Zimmer »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1457 on: November 12, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »
Indy was all there was, when the scene changed and street stared to come up, anything else was considered inferior...gullwings were heavy and vert trucks, trackers were also vert centric; the thunder and venture era was the birth of street and death of vert so they were viewed as second rate.

Zimmer

« Reply #1458 on: November 12, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »
I found out something shocking over the last few days.. I actually don't mind the stage 11 indy's. Even with big clunky 57mm conicals, I felt pretty comfortable. It made me realize how much we exaggerate the differences between trucks. There's a reason some people don't geek out like we do lol. I'm going to give ventures another good shot, then I might just stick with venture and indy. The wheel bite on thunders makes me nervous.

Zimmer

« Reply #1459 on: November 12, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Indy was all there was, when the scene changed and street stared to come up, anything else was considered inferior...gullwings were heavy and vert trucks, trackers were also vert centric; the thunder and venture era was the birth of street and death of vert so they were viewed as second rate.

You're right, Indy held a lot of sway for a long time. I know in my circle indy was the pinnacle of skating, the standard!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1460 on: November 12, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
Yeah Indy played catch up for awhile because they had a higher geometry and were at least perceived as heavier...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1461 on: November 13, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
Yeah Indy played catch up for awhile because they had a higher geometry and were at least perceived as heavier...

Yyup, Theeve, ACE and Thunder stepped up their game while indy waited on the Stage XI; yet they are still trailing in terms of weight.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1462 on: November 13, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
a ton of people could care less about weight....and just like how they turn so I get why people skate indys.....

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1463 on: November 13, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
I used to skate krux a lot. Had the downlows, the low kingpin and lightweight design stood out.

This was maybe 8 years ago, are they still solid?

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1464 on: November 13, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

;)

went through the thunder ad's - never knew karl watson, gino, kalis, gall etc rode thunders

seems like most pros have been on the big 3- venture, indy or thunder at one point or another in their careers
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1465 on: November 13, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

;)
[close]

went through the thunder ad's - never knew karl watson, gino, kalis, gall etc rode thunders

seems like most pros have been on the big 3- venture, indy or thunder at one point or another in their careers

Believe Mariano and Rudy Johnson rode thunders in their early Blind days as well.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1466 on: November 14, 2016, 04:08:56 AM »
I used to skate krux a lot. Had the downlows, the low kingpin and lightweight design stood out.

This was maybe 8 years ago, are they still solid?

Those were my first real trucks and goto for 4-5 years of my skating from the beginning cause they were exactly that, low, light, and big grind clearance. They're not really solid in my opinion anymore, the krux bushings are too soft for the kinda long downlow Allen ball kingpin. I bought 2 sets of the newly remastered/current krux downlows cause I thought they would be like the old ones but better.

I was wrong, the bushings were nice and no break in but because they're so soft they didn't fair well with the low design and because theyre lows I had to tighten the trucks til the threads side/end dug a little into my deck caise it was the only way to get stability and some wheel bite clearance. Also I don't like the feeling of forged plates so the new krux downlows were very upsetting to me. I wish they made a k4 downlow but Ron Whaley krux tm said the cast plates eventually get worn inside with the Allen kingpin nut moving around and the forged were stronger and better for the upside down pin

I like how committed(like rowley) tommy Sandoval is/was about his trucks too. He would ride the classic krux downlow 3.5/7.6 on 8.25 decks
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1467 on: November 15, 2016, 03:44:04 AM »
right guys, i am sick and tired of having slipping axle and have a set of royals that was handed to me (given away because both axles are slipping, don't know what model) lying around and think i am going to experiment. i had a quick chat with the welder at work and he said that welding the axle to the hanger could be possible and if it happened successfully then the two would merge into one piece. I believe the set of royals is ideal to try this because
a)they are crap so no big deal if they get destroyed in the process and
b)a great portion of the axle is accessible for welding. Have any people here tried this before? Maybe someone with welding knowledge? I was mainly worried that the truck would warp from the heat or maybe from uneven stress distribution but the guy at work assured me this is not going to happen and he was mostly worried that the weld would either be amazing or a total fuckup with parts not sticking at all.

any thoughts on this?

also, i want to ask if people have skated the thunder 149 tits because i had the hollow lights twice and think this is the ideal truck for my taste, though the axle slipped in 3 out of 4 hangers and i am hoping this is not going to happen on a more premium product. Then again i may be fooling my self. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:58:01 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1468 on: November 16, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
Where would you weld the hanger to the axle? i dont have any experience in welding but sounds like a cool idea. i think under the hanger where you can see the two small slits of the axle would be a ideal place? let us know how this turns out!

the last three sets of trucks (indy and two sets of thunders)  ive owned have had a very small axle slip - so minimal i cannot notice. the only truck that was unbareable was Ace's i got (defective batch) to a point where i couldn't ride em.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:30:27 PM by fulfillthedream »
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

micky682

« Reply #1469 on: November 16, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »
Are the Indy aftermarket bushings meant to fit on Indy trucks with both washers on? I can barely get mine on and still be able to tighten the nut on the kingpin.

edit: I bought the 90a Indy Conical bushings. The orange ones.