Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220585 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1470 on: November 16, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
Are the Indy aftermarket bushings meant to fit on Indy trucks with both washers on? I can barely get mine on and still be able to tighten the nut on the kingpin.

edit: I bought the 90a Indy Conical bushings. The orange ones.

If you're riding Indy Standard Hi's and bought the standard bushings, there shouldn't be an issue getting them on with the washers. Sounds like you might have bought standard bushings and are trying to put them on a low truck.

micky682

« Reply #1471 on: November 16, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Are the Indy aftermarket bushings meant to fit on Indy trucks with both washers on? I can barely get mine on and still be able to tighten the nut on the kingpin.

[close]

If you're riding Indy Standard Hi's and bought the standard bushings, there shouldn't be an issue getting them on with the washers. Sounds like you might have bought standard bushings and are trying to put them on a low truck.
Do they make 149 in low?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1472 on: November 16, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Do they make 149 in low?
No they don't make a 149 low. Didn't the bushings come with washers? Shouldn't be a problem.
you never know about pre-cum 

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1473 on: November 17, 2016, 01:38:54 AM »
Where would you weld the hanger to the axle? i dont have any experience in welding but sounds like a cool idea. i think under the hanger where you can see the two small slits of the axle would be a ideal place? let us know how this turns out!

the last three sets of trucks (indy and two sets of thunders)  ive owned have had a very small axle slip - so minimal i cannot notice. the only truck that was unbareable was Ace's i got (defective batch) to a point where i couldn't ride em.

i was thinking about the visible portion of the axle behind the kingpin. hopefully the weld will not restrict access to the nut. I never considered welding at the spot you suggested, it could be a better option as for me two small welds sound better than a single long weld. Still haven't had the time to try but should get it done this weekend, will definitely post pics and review. If this works it could solve many people's problems with truck manufacturers taking the piss by consistently making crap product
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1474 on: November 17, 2016, 06:44:45 AM »
You'd be welding aluminum to steel. I don't think that really works.

I use spacers and I've never had axle slip.  :-*

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1475 on: November 18, 2016, 01:59:57 AM »

Yeah i used spacers for a a session or two when my thunders' axle slip was out of control but really hated the dead sound my wheels made when set up with spacers.
As for the weld, this is also my (and the welder's) main concern - that the weld is not going to stick at all. He said that if he used a strong enough welding kit then we might have some luck as everything could melt into one thing. I am pretty sure this little project is going to turn into a big mess but am willing to try it just to fulfill my curiosity. Probably going to try it tomorrow on my day off and will definitely post pictures so you can have laugh at my warped trucks.
Expand Quote
[close]

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1476 on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah i used spacers for a a session or two when my thunders' axle slip was out of control but really hated the dead sound my wheels made when set up with spacers.
As for the weld, this is also my (and the welder's) main concern - that the weld is not going to stick at all. He said that if he used a strong enough welding kit then we might have some luck as everything could melt into one thing. I am pretty sure this little project is going to turn into a big mess but am willing to try it just to fulfill my curiosity. Probably going to try it tomorrow on my day off and will definitely post pictures so you can have laugh at my warped trucks.

I did something like that in the past with some slipping trucks. You just have to weld some tiny  steel balls to the axle on that little hole near the kingpin (it works also on the holes below that ofter have the axle exposed). That way it stops the axle from moving. Melting steel with aluminium doesnt work i bet.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1477 on: November 18, 2016, 05:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I did something like that in the past with some slipping trucks. You just have to weld some tiny  steel balls to the axle on that little hole near the kingpin (it works also on the holes below that ofter have the axle exposed). That way it stops the axle from moving. Melting steel with aluminium doesnt work i bet.

this is also my thinking but the welder said that if the current used is high enough, then the two materials would sort of melt into one amalgam. sounds crazy and this is why i am sure my trucks are going to warp. never thought of your suggestion, it sounds much more reasonable than going crazy with the welding. can't wait to see if its going to work and i am surely going to try both methods (got plenty of trucks with axle slip and am going to try your technique on some hollows), fingers crossed   ;D
Expand Quote
[close]

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1478 on: November 18, 2016, 06:53:12 AM »
wobbling kingpin on my back truck, 149 indy wich i put hollow kingpin in...tried to fix it with thin metal shit and superglue, seems fine, i'll see if it really works the next session

Main

« Reply #1479 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »
$180 price tag for Theeve TiH trucks. One solid piece, no axle slip, hanger is over 80% titanium. I want to but....fuck. That's more than the price of a complete for just some trucks.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1480 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »
could you prevent axle slip if axles were designed with some sort of groove in them that the metal would fill? or would that weaken the axles or cost too much?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1481 on: November 18, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
$180 price tag for Theeve TiH trucks. One solid piece, no axle slip, hanger is over 80% titanium. I want to but....fuck. That's more than the price of a complete for just some trucks.

I with you; due to my ankle still weak, I can't justify picking up a set...almost bit though...

One thing about them tho, if you grind and like your grooves, you'll probably never get one ;)

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #1482 on: November 18, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
went from indy titanium 139's to ace 44's to back to the indys then switched to my old set of thunder 147s all within the last month. trucks stress me out, never found that perfect feeling truck. i have a hankering to buy some ventures but im certain ill just put the thunders back on after one session..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:48:54 PM by Rick Sanchez »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1483 on: November 18, 2016, 11:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I with you; due to my ankle still weak, I can't justify picking up a set...almost bit though...

One thing about them tho, if you grind and like your grooves, you'll probably never get one ;)

What originally sold me was the concept it would be the last pair of trucks I own.....

They don't grind down really....the knock is they aren't as buttery as most trucks....they grind concrete well but everything else....weird....

Can you guys do me a favour....skate the race reds w. axel nuts cranked tight and tell me if they slip? 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1484 on: November 19, 2016, 01:17:32 AM »

This is what realllly turned me off the set i had, ive got the tiniest baby groove and that was after an hour of hucking into a dry curb just to see what would happen, still have the hangers even after breaking the kingpin on one

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1485 on: November 19, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is what realllly turned me off the set i had, ive got the tiniest baby groove and that was after an hour of hucking into a dry curb just to see what would happen, still have the hangers even after breaking the kingpin on one

What size hangers?

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1486 on: November 19, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »
Trying to learn some shiznit: can anyone explain to me how skate truck geometry really works? I know it involves baseplate/pivot point geometry & kingpin angles, but what level of angle degrees really means what, when it comes to how a truck turns or pops?

According to this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0 Most trucks (the big 3 brands at least) fall in between a kingpin angle of 70-75 & a pivot angle of 25-40.

Main

« Reply #1487 on: November 19, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
Yeah, I never thought about the TiH's not being able to build grooves. Fuck that, I need my grooves.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1488 on: November 19, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
ok so do you guys think its a bad idea to buy these destrutco hollow king pins, destructo tells me no, but the price tells me maybe
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Destructo_Hollowpoint_King_Pin/descpage-DEHPKP.html

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1489 on: November 19, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What size hangers?

Whatever their equivalent to 139s are

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1490 on: November 19, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
ok so do you guys think its a bad idea to buy these destrutco hollow king pins, destructo tells me no, but the price tells me maybe
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Destructo_Hollowpoint_King_Pin/descpage-DEHPKP.html

Depends on what truck you are going to bash them into...every company uses different spines on the pins, especially hollow vs solid (and that's within brand, e.g., thunder hollow pins won't fit right, and visa versa, in team plates).

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1491 on: November 19, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »
went from indy titanium 139's to ace 44's to back to the indys then switched to my old set of thunder 147s all within the last month. trucks stress me out, never found that perfect feeling truck. i have a hankering to buy some ventures but im certain ill just put the thunders back on after one session..
Maybe try swapping bushings. I've been considering swapping my set to some conical bushings and see what happens.
The stock bushings are hard af!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1492 on: November 19, 2016, 09:11:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends on what truck you are going to bash them into...every company uses different spines on the pins, especially hollow vs solid (and that's within brand, e.g., thunder hollow pins won't fit right, and visa versa, in team plates).

Hammering in a kingpin is the worst thing about skateboarding. Fuck all that, I'd rather just buy new trucks.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #1493 on: November 19, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hammering in a kingpin is the worst thing about skateboarding. Fuck all that, I'd rather just buy new trucks.

agreed.  or if you're hellbent on keeping your trucks get some Krux downlow kingpins

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1494 on: November 19, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

agreed.  or if you're hellbent on keeping your trucks get some Krux downlow kingpins
yeah, i already ordered the krux kingpins, i just saw those and thought it was interesting for the price, and off topic something i learned through this whole truck thing is that dlx is like the only distro without really having a proper online store

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1495 on: November 20, 2016, 12:07:52 AM »
I inherited some old gullwing inverted king pins and the tricky thing is the nut spins so to loosen my trucks I have to take my trucks off.  I'm at the point where they are about where I want them to be but do the krux ones solve this problem? 

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1496 on: November 20, 2016, 01:55:29 AM »
Thunder 147 hollow or ace 33 ? Both are are the same price. I'm going for a light 8,125 - 8,25 setup

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1497 on: November 20, 2016, 03:37:41 AM »
theyre both light but truthfully from my perspective I think thunders are the best all around and longest lasting truck. Aces are fun and turn deeper and feel like a faster turning Indy but thunders give you very quick response with pop and turn they just don't turn super deep like Indy or ace

For fun ACE

for reliability on everything Thunders
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1498 on: November 20, 2016, 06:23:38 AM »
Thunder 147 hollow or ace 33 ? Both are are the same price. I'm going for a light 8,125 - 8,25 setup
I'd say go for Thunder 149's tbh, I think they have a sligtly different and better geometry, less wheelbite(used risers on my 147's), if you want then reduce weight go hollow or titanium, just my 2 cents but I think the 149's turn way better and feel much more stable on a 8.25

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1499 on: November 20, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »
Thank you for the advice ! I'll probably go with thunder, but not sure which size. I have stage 11 indys, but 8,5 ain't my size. Probably still gonna use them for bowl and to cruise around