Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220842 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1500 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
Switched over to indy for the last week or so (all park), riptide cups and bones meds, swapping between 149/139 hangers on an 8.25. 149s just felt right, 139s felt/looked too small but were quicker to turn....saw the Boss with his kid at my local, big old 8.5 with 139s...I just can't rock the magic carpet...

If I could ever get Thunders to where I felt 'safe' in a bowl, I'd ride'em exclusively. By safe I mean at speed in a corner and I've hit it at the wrong angle but with ACE (and Indy to a lesser degree), I know I can get out of it, thunders just don't go that deep.

N.L.

« Reply #1501 on: November 20, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
i don't know why people struggle with Thunders on round wall. i've had good luck with 149s and 151s in bowls. risers and broken in stock bushings. looks like thunder are now making some hollow trucks with the team base plates... good call....

in saying all that i'm currently enjoying the shit out of some indy 149s with 88a conical bushings.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1502 on: November 20, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »
It's hardly a struggle....ACE and Indy just perform better in bowls.

GOATMOON

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #1503 on: November 20, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »
Does anyone know if Royal 5.5's are 8.25 or 8.5? SW says 8.25 and they're always pretty good with that stuff, but the guy at the shop and Tactics say they're 8.5 so I want to make sure.

N.L.

« Reply #1504 on: November 20, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »

If I could ever get Thunders to where I felt 'safe' in a bowl, I'd ride'em exclusively. By safe I mean at speed in a corner and I've hit it at the wrong angle but with ACE (and Indy to a lesser degree), I know I can get out of it, thunders just don't go that deep.

Sounds like a struggle...

either way, its all subjective.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1505 on: November 20, 2016, 07:44:23 PM »
wtf dude? Are you trying to troll me or something? ???

Thunders don't compare to indy and ace in bowls. subjective, to what, 1% of the fucking industry? Knowing what you skate, do tell, are thunders superior to Ace or Indy in bowls? I mean, "nothing beats ACE on the round wall", right?

Seriously, if they were actually worthwhile don't you think more people would be rocking them that skate bowls other than Chris fucking Miller and his son?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:59:49 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1506 on: November 20, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »
This is true....aces can do tighter turns.....it's a fact......ride a set.....

Miller destroyed tons of concrete parks on gullwings.....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1507 on: November 20, 2016, 11:02:41 PM »
Calm the fuck down Xen, the shit's all subjective. IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE. You like shitty OJ's. I fucking hate them. You can't skate a bowl on Thunders, and that's ok, but don't try to measure something that's not quantifiable.
you never know about pre-cum 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1508 on: November 21, 2016, 02:12:32 AM »
Ahaha I suck

Was rocking the ace 03 and they were good, but idk if it's the weather or something but the bushings got harder so I had to drop the bottom washers, got curious and plugged the good ole set of thunders to see how they fair with my chocolate and damn...

The Aces don't get me wrong worked, but thunders just feel more quick to conform, more solid

Ima cop some of those gravity cast hollows  ;D

Jim told me they had some in the works a few weeks back and I'm definitely grabbing a set

yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1509 on: November 21, 2016, 02:39:38 AM »
Does anyone know if Royal 5.5's are 8.25 or 8.5? SW says 8.25 and they're always pretty good with that stuff, but the guy at the shop and Tactics say they're 8.5 so I want to make sure.

i unfortunately own a pair of royals 5.5 and they are identical to thunder 149 in width and almost of the same height too. i skate 8.25 and they fit amazing. I suppose they would be grand on an 8.5 deck too
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1510 on: November 21, 2016, 02:58:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You'd be welding aluminum to steel. I don't think that really works.

I use spacers and I've never had axle slip.  :-*
[close]

Yeah i used spacers for a a session or two when my thunders' axle slip was out of control but really hated the dead sound my wheels made when set up with spacers.
As for the weld, this is also my (and the welder's) main concern - that the weld is not going to stick at all. He said that if he used a strong enough welding kit then we might have some luck as everything could melt into one thing. I am pretty sure this little project is going to turn into a big mess but am willing to try it just to fulfill my curiosity. Probably going to try it tomorrow on my day off and will definitely post pictures so you can have laugh at my warped trucks.
[close]

I did something like that in the past with some slipping trucks. You just have to weld some tiny  steel balls to the axle on that little hole near the kingpin (it works also on the holes below that ofter have the axle exposed). That way it stops the axle from moving. Melting steel with aluminium doesnt work i bet.
[close]

this is also my thinking but the welder said that if the current used is high enough, then the two materials would sort of melt into one amalgam. sounds crazy and this is why i am sure my trucks are going to warp. never thought of your suggestion, it sounds much more reasonable than going crazy with the welding. can't wait to see if its going to work and i am surely going to try both methods (got plenty of trucks with axle slip and am going to try your technique on some hollows), fingers crossed   ;D

i finally went to do the weld and have something to post. the dude fucked one of my hangers right up because he tried too much with the weld and the hanger melted and went proper fucked. the second attempt went much better though because the guy did what i asked him and didn't mess around. here is the successful attempt and i'm going to post the other, messed up hanger in a bit (i know it sounds more interesting but it needs to cool down). I still have another set of thunders with axle slip so i have 2 more attempts to choose from. I am hyped with this result and though i haven't skated it yet i believe it should be fine and that the axle slip has been (permanently -fingers crossed) cured.
Expand Quote
[close]

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1511 on: November 21, 2016, 03:51:03 AM »
they'll slip again if you don't use spacers...

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1512 on: November 21, 2016, 04:13:56 AM »
they'll slip again if you don't use spacers...

yeah but if i get a couple of weeks skate until the slip becomes intolerable i'm fine. the amount of axle slip on these was a joke. around 1cm play on each side, to the point that the thread was not enough for the nut to hold and also they would slip even if i was just riding about (no pop, no power slides, just wheels rolling - a strictly roots)

here is the major fuckup
Expand Quote
[close]

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1513 on: November 21, 2016, 04:15:36 AM »
for some reason i am unable to attach more than one file per reply even though each picture is less than 128kb in size

here is another view of "the fuckup"
Expand Quote
[close]

N.L.

« Reply #1514 on: November 21, 2016, 06:12:44 AM »
Calm the fuck down Xen, the shit's all subjective. IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE.

:o

ha ha. who the fuck really cares? do grown men get offended so easily by criticisms of their toy choice?

jesus, i thought i had OCD problems. this thread has now truly liberated me. for this i thank ye, all. now let's see some more axle and less tears.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1515 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
I'm riding doomsayer indies and I leave em stock,
No adjustments required but I mostly skate the city can't speak for
Bowl riding

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1516 on: November 21, 2016, 11:04:25 PM »
I'm getting confused here, is axle slip when the rod holding the wheels on the hangar isn't even and one side pulls the wheel tighter to the hangar or what is it?

And are bearing spacers the cylindrical shaped pieces you put between the bearings in the wheel? Do they really matter that much cause I just use the axel washers to keep the bearings from touching the hangar or the nut and have some wiggle while the axle but is almost flush
yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1517 on: November 21, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
spacers matter; that's my story and I'm sticking with it

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1518 on: November 21, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
I'm getting confused here, is axle slip when the rod holding the wheels on the hangar isn't even and one side pulls the wheel tighter to the hangar or what is it?

And are bearing spacers the cylindrical shaped pieces you put between the bearings in the wheel? Do they really matter that much cause I just use the axel washers to keep the bearings from touching the hangar or the nut and have some wiggle while the axle but is almost flush

you are correct in all but the washer use. The only thing to 100% hold the axle in place and guarantee non slip is to use spacers. Washers just provide the bearings with some clearance from the axle so that any finish imperfections will not affect the wheel spin.
Expand Quote
[close]

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1519 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:47 PM »
but still, if i were to use spacers to limit the slip my bearings would have to be in absolute top form. I mean, i ALWAYS maintain my bearings and make sure they are rolling freely but i noticed that when slip occurs, if i use spacers my board starts to produce a very dull noise and the worst is that this sound is produced by one/two wheels only and not by the whole set up.
N.L. and a few other people were talking about OCD....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:26:31 PM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
[close]

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1520 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »
SPACERS AND AXEL SLIP DO NOT CORRELATE. THE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ONE ANOTHER. LAND YOUR FLIP TRICKS.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1521 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:29 PM »
SPACERS AND AXEL SLIP DO NOT CORRELATE. THE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ONE ANOTHER. LAND YOUR FLIP TRICKS.

spacers do not prevent axle slip, they just reduce the play of the axle. Last set of thunders had axle slip out of the box, no joke
Expand Quote
[close]

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1522 on: November 21, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

spacers do not prevent axle slip, they just reduce the play of the axle. Last set of thunders had axle slip out of the box, no joke

SPACERS HELP DISTRIBUTE WEIGHT AWAY FROM THE BEARINGS. THEY DO NOTHING HORIZONTAL.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1523 on: November 22, 2016, 12:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

SPACERS HELP DISTRIBUTE WEIGHT AWAY FROM THE BEARINGS. THEY DO NOTHING HORIZONTAL.

^^

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1524 on: November 22, 2016, 12:42:14 AM »
we are saying the same thing really. By enabling us to tighten the wheel nut as much as possible without causing the bearing to roll in steps, spacers allow for the wheel to become "one piece". For the speeds achieved in skating their only practical use would be to prevent bearings from bending to the inside of the wheel.

edit: the fact that they (spacers) prevent the bearings from rolling in steps is proof that they do have some major effect in the horizontal direction (that is parallel to the axle). If the bearing cages were too loose, unable to hold the bearings in place, the speed rings would limit the bearings to move far from the wheel and the spacers would limit the bearings from squashing against the inside of the wheel.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:48:14 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
[close]

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1525 on: November 22, 2016, 12:47:03 AM »
your axles and bearings center ring become one piece with spacers, dumbo
and stop shouting, you gonna break your big ears^^

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1526 on: November 22, 2016, 12:50:59 AM »
what the snake said
Expand Quote
[close]

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1527 on: November 22, 2016, 02:57:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The spacer would have to compress for the axle to be able to slip. I don't really see that happening as easily as the bearing giving in (which is what would happen without spacers). It's simple physics really.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1528 on: November 22, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
None of what you're saying supports your arguments. Bearing spacers do not prevent left to right movement of an axle. If I make a circle with my fingers, stick my dick through it, I can still move back and forth freely.

The only thing I think that would kind of help is what j soy has been talking about, race reds, and the ability to crank down the axle nut, so the wheel is tight against the hangar with zero play. That would support the axle more than anything.

That's not spacers though, that's extended inner races.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:45:42 AM by Level 60 Dwarf Paladin »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1529 on: November 22, 2016, 07:48:25 AM »
None of what you're saying supports your arguments. Bearing spacers do not prevent left to right movement of an axle. If I make a circle with my fingers, stick my dick through it, I can still move back and forth freely.

Not if you screw a nut that is bigger than your finger circle on the tip of your penis. Cut your penis off and screw another big nut on the other end and make a circle around the dick at that other end. Now add a tube the length of the rest of the penis in the middle and that penis ain't moving anywhere. Simple physics.