Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220812 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1530 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:22 AM »
You guys are fucking idiots.
you never know about pre-cum 

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1531 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
None of what you're saying supports your arguments. Bearing spacers do not prevent left to right movement of an axle. If I make a circle with my fingers, stick my dick through it, I can still move back and forth freely.
[close]

Not if you screw a nut that is bigger than your finger circle on the tip of your penis. Cut your penis off and screw another big nut on the other end and make a circle around the dick at that other end. Now add a tube the length of the rest of the penis in the middle and that penis ain't moving anywhere. Simple physics.
hahaha

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1532 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »
None of what you're saying supports your arguments. Bearing spacers do not prevent left to right movement of an axle. If I make a circle with my fingers, stick my dick through it, I can still move back and forth freely.

The only thing I think that would kind of help is what j soy has been talking about, race reds, and the ability to crank down the axle nut, so the wheel is tight against the hangar with zero play. That would support the axle more than anything.

That's not spacers though, that's extended inner races.

If you measure the length of these extended inner races you will find that one race is half the length of a spacer. This means that when the two bearings with this kind of inner race are set in a wheel they create a spacer. If you use spacers you can similarly crank down the axle nut tight as fuck so that there is zero play.
 As I said before, we are talking about the same solution.
I have gone through about a million of these bearings with extended races in the 80's and trust me, it is the exact same thing as using a spacer (axle slip-wise). Granted, if you were to use spacers it could be better to use the extended race bearings because they may provide a kind of sturdier ride but i have never come across a decent set, they seem to break much easier than normal/narrow NMB's, up to several bearings per session. As a kid i would always blame their tighter and less forgiving fit but i was using the very cheap stuff (nowhere near the quality of race reds) so who knows  :)
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1533 on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not if you screw a nut that is bigger than your finger circle on the tip of your penis. Cut your penis off and screw another big nut on the other end and make a circle around the dick at that other end. Now add a tube the length of the rest of the penis in the middle and that penis ain't moving anywhere. Simple physics.

riding spacers is like having a telescopic dick?
Expand Quote
[close]

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1534 on: November 22, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »

No. You just don't understand what you're talking about.

Check this out:
Ace 44
Speedring
Bearing inner race
Spacer
Bearing inner race
Speedring
Nut, tightened down

Now, for the axle to slip to the left, something there would have to compress. It's all made of steel, except the hanger. You think the spacer will give in, allowing the axle to slip?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1535 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
This is when someone chimes in that wheel cores aren't standard which will produce a gap....some truth in it but I think for the most part stuff works....

Do the same exercise w. an extended race bearing and it makes more sense....I ran that set up for years and it was never like I could crank the nut 100% tight...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1536 on: November 22, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Check this out:
Ace 44
Speedring
Bearing inner race
Spacer
Bearing inner race
Speedring
Nut, tightened down

Now, for the axle to slip to the left, something there would have to compress. It's all made of steel, except the hanger. You think the spacer will give in, allowing the axle to slip?

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOUR WHEELS GOING TO TURN WITH THAT NUT CRANKED DOWN? Speed rings? Lol.

I get what you're trying to say, but it's not practical.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1537 on: November 22, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Check this out:
Ace 44
Speedring
Bearing inner race
Spacer
Bearing inner race
Speedring
Nut, tightened down

[close]

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOUR WHEELS GOING TO TURN WITH THAT NUT CRANKED DOWN? Speed rings? Lol.

:D

The wheels turn very nicely. Do you not understand how bearings work? Speed rings, washers, whatever the fuck they're called.

I doubt you get what I'm saying as you're mostly just shouting nonsense. How is using spacers not practical?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1538 on: November 22, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
You're telling me that you crank down your axle nut with no play?

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1539 on: November 22, 2016, 04:17:18 PM »
Anyone know of any top aftermarket bushing that is shorter than an Indy top? I wanna ride some Indy's like wobbly Ace's but use a standard Indy bottom and some kind of shorter top bushing so there's at least a bushing there while allowing them to have the shakes.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1540 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »

Yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1541 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
Anyone know of any top aftermarket bushing that is shorter than an Indy top? I wanna ride some Indy's like wobbly Ace's but use a standard Indy bottom and some kind of shorter top bushing so there's at least a bushing there while allowing them to have the shakes.
Just sand/shave them down.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes

You're fuckin' up. Enjoy the slow.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1542 on: November 22, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Check this out:
Ace 44
Speedring
Bearing inner race
Spacer
Bearing inner race
Speedring
Nut, tightened down

[close]

[close]

The wheels turn very nicely. Do you not understand how bearings work? Speed rings, washers, whatever the fuck they're called.

I doubt you get what I'm saying as you're mostly just shouting nonsense. How is using spacers not practical?

I always found the speed rings didn't perfectly line up with the nut and the inner race.....

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1543 on: November 22, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
^ yeah, correct but unless they touch the shields the wheels are going to spin perfectly fine. Its all the same guys, extended races, spacers, all the same.
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1544 on: November 22, 2016, 11:56:22 PM »
Thing is, they don't spin any faster under load with 'play' compared to [properly setup] spacers/races...and that's probably only for longboards; what we do to bearings if you skate street is an abomination to how they are supposed to be used.

I've always like a little bit of wiggle, with speed rings and no spacers. It sounds better, without shields even moreso.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1545 on: November 23, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »
looked up how to install spacers properly and so far i like how the nut is flush with no wiggle and yet it still spins, now i just gotta ride it and see how it goes compared to centuries of no spacer and only washers with wiggle

i feel like spacers would help get powerslides better since that microscopic amount of play wouldnt cause the bearing to lock up or something

idk its becoming an ocd now ahaha i like how my wheel is tight on the axle with no play/wiggle but still rolling. some kind of witch craft

i remember back in the beginner days tightening the nut down with no spacer or washer just because i thought thats how wheels are plugged on trucks and my axles would be battered, now i can do something similar but my axles are fine and safe
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1546 on: November 23, 2016, 03:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

Please explain how that makes the wheels spin slower. You think the inner race spins much on the axle when you're standing on the board? I can loosen the nuts on my trucks and I won't go any faster. I'll just get more rattle, which some people love and I don't really care that much about.

You haven't backed your arguments with any facts so far. Just random veiled insults. Is it because you can't actually back them as they are based on a whole lot of nothing or do you possess some high level knowledge about the physics of ball bearings and movement of objects that are locked down that other people just cannot understand?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1547 on: November 23, 2016, 03:12:51 AM »
Thing is, they don't spin any faster under load with 'play' compared to [properly setup] spacers/races...and that's probably only for longboards; what we do to bearings if you skate street is an abomination to how they are supposed to be used.

I've always like a little bit of wiggle, with speed rings and no spacers. It sounds better, without shields even moreso.

this is exactly what i love on my super swiss, the sound they make is unreal. like a train passing by. I can only imagine the bliss of riding without shields but i would do this only if i was sponsored by bones.
Expand Quote
[close]

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1548 on: November 23, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

Please explain how that makes the wheels spin slower. You think the inner race spins much on the axle when you're standing on the board? I can loosen the nuts on my trucks and I won't go any faster. I'll just get more rattle, which some people love and I don't really care that much about.

You haven't backed your arguments with any facts so far. Just random veiled insults. Is it because you can't actually back them as they are based on a whole lot of nothing or do you possess some high level knowledge about the physics of ball bearings and movement of objects that are locked down that other people just cannot understand?
Unless you're a physicist or a mechanical engineer, shut the fuck up. I don't have to back up shit. I don't have to justify this shit, skateboarding does it for me. I cranked down the nuts on my 3 year olds board. Guess what, be hardly rolls. If you use spacers, you still might get axle slip. The end. That should be it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1549 on: November 23, 2016, 09:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is exactly what i love on my super swiss, the sound they make is unreal. like a train passing by. I can only imagine the bliss of riding without shields but i would do this only if i was sponsored by bones.

Been tempted to pop shields on my bronson since I'm only using them at parks :P

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1550 on: November 23, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
Unless you're a physicist or a mechanical engineer, shut the fuck up. I don't have to back up shit. I don't have to justify this shit, skateboarding does it for me. I cranked down the nuts on my 3 year olds board. Guess what, be hardly rolls. If you use spacers, you still might get axle slip. The end. That should be it.

LOL. Great discussion. Great arguments man. Getting mad and retorting to insults? That's what people who run out of arguments do. You know it doesn't make you any more right if you shout louder or act more offensive?

I am an engineer, but not a mechanical engineer. Doesn't matter though. This is basic level physics they teach absolutely everyone, at least here in Finland.

I'm just tired of all this bullshit people keep spewing out regarding skating that has absolutely no basis in reality. Spacers do prevent axle slip and with a proper setup the wheels spin absolutely fine with the nuts tightened down, so that there is no play. I know skating is pretty much 95% mental and if using spacers, having no rattle etc. fucks you up, that's alright, you should do as you please. But people don't go around claiming your non-factual opinions as facts because of that.

Sorry about your kid's board. Maybe you should look into getting him a better setup before he starts getting axle slip and blown out bearings.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1551 on: November 23, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Been tempted to pop shields on my bronson since I'm only using them at parks :P
Since a shield popped off and 2 others got bent I've been considering this
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1552 on: November 23, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

LOL. Great discussion. Great arguments man. Getting mad and retorting to insults? That's what people who run out of arguments do. You know it doesn't make you any more right if you shout louder or act more offensive?

I am an engineer, but not a mechanical engineer. Doesn't matter though. This is basic level physics they teach absolutely everyone, at least here in Finland.

I'm just tired of all this bullshit people keep spewing out regarding skating that has absolutely no basis in reality. Spacers do prevent axle slip and with a proper setup the wheels spin absolutely fine with the nuts tightened down, so that there is no play. I know skating is pretty much 95% mental and if using spacers, having no rattle etc. fucks you up, that's alright, you should do as you please. But people don't go around claiming your non-factual opinions as facts because of that.

Sorry about your kid's board. Maybe you should look into getting him a better setup before he starts getting axle slip and blown out bearings.
I cranked them down so he can't go fast. It worked. You know, applying pressure and friction, basic physics stuff, at least here in the U.S.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1553 on: November 23, 2016, 10:56:42 AM »
bearings are so prevelant in the 'real world', is there any other scenarios where a little bit of play, or rattle, is considered desirable? Or other instances of where tightening equals slowing?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1554 on: November 23, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I cranked them down so he can't go fast. It worked. You know, applying pressure and friction, basic physics stuff, at least here in the U.S.

Sounds like you have something funky going on in your kid's setup if by tightening the nuts you increase friction inside the bearing while using spacers.   :o

Maybe your spacers are too short? I've heard of that happening. Never encountered those myself though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1555 on: November 23, 2016, 11:24:41 AM »
bearings are so prevelant in the 'real world', is there any other scenarios where a little bit of play, or rattle, is considered desirable? Or other instances of where tightening equals slowing?

I couldn't imagine there is any instance where play would be desireable. Bearings are used in mechanical (duh) situations and excess play would cause wear on surrounding parts/materials especially if you have something spinning at 83482756826345875 RPM or some shit.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1556 on: November 23, 2016, 12:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I can crank my nuts down tight with spaces and the wheels are still screaming. I still have them like a quarter of a turn loose though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I couldn't imagine there is any instance where play would be desireable. Bearings are used in mechanical (duh) situations and excess play would cause wear on surrounding parts/materials especially if you have something spinning at 83482756826345875 RPM or some shit.

I dunno dude....I loosen up my lug nuts all the time....nothing beats a nice wobbly front tire on a bike either.....

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1558 on: November 23, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I dunno dude....I loosen up my lug nuts all the time....nothing beats a nice wobbly front tire on a bike either.....

yeah, it's like Russian roulette every time you bunny hop off a curb, it keeps the ride exciting

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1559 on: November 23, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Sounds like you have something funky going on in your kid's setup if by tightening the nuts you increase friction inside the bearing while using spacers.   :o

Maybe your spacers are too short? I've heard of that happening. Never encountered those myself though.

No. It's just the way skateboards have been for at least the last 22 years.