Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220604 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1560 on: November 23, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »
Nallid, does your kid's set-up have spacers? If not, that's why it gets slower, because you are aplying lateral pressure to the bearing, making unwanted side friction between the race and the balls. With spacers there's no pressure to the bearing so you can crack it all down and it will spin freely. This also prevents axle slip because there's no play for the axle to move when the nuts are cracked down.
So, I'm totally understanding what Roisto is saying.

(I dont use spacers tho, I never felt the need to)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1561 on: November 23, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »
Nallid, does your kid's set-up have spacers? If not, that's why it gets slower, because you are aplying lateral pressure to the bearing, making unwanted side friction between the race and the balls. With spacers there's no pressure to the bearing so you can crack it all down and it will spin freely. This also prevents axle slip because there's no play for the axle to move when the nuts are cracked down.
So, I'm totally understanding what Roisto is saying.

(I dont use spacers tho, I never felt the need to)

God damn it you're right, it doesn't.  I just put spacers in my set up and cranked the nut down and it rolls fine. Fuck, I was lied to by the drummer from Grandaddy more than 2 decades ago and never bothered to test otherwise... I need a minute...

I'M SORRY
you never know about pre-cum 

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1562 on: November 23, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1563 on: November 23, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
LOL
talked about a heated discussion :D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1564 on: November 23, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You're telling me that you crank down your axle nut with no play?
[close]

Yes
[close]

You're fuckin' up. Enjoy the slow.
[close]

:D

Please explain how that makes the wheels spin slower. You think the inner race spins much on the axle when you're standing on the board? I can loosen the nuts on my trucks and I won't go any faster. I'll just get more rattle, which some people love and I don't really care that much about.

You haven't backed your arguments with any facts so far. Just random veiled insults. Is it because you can't actually back them as they are based on a whole lot of nothing or do you possess some high level knowledge about the physics of ball bearings and movement of objects that are locked down that other people just cannot understand?
[close]
Unless you're a physicist or a mechanical engineer, shut the fuck up. I don't have to back up shit. I don't have to justify this shit, skateboarding does it for me. I cranked down the nuts on my 3 year olds board. Guess what, be hardly rolls. If you use spacers, you still might get axle slip. The end. That should be it.
[close]

LOL. Great discussion. Great arguments man. Getting mad and retorting to insults? That's what people who run out of arguments do. You know it doesn't make you any more right if you shout louder or act more offensive?

I am an engineer, but not a mechanical engineer. Doesn't matter though. This is basic level physics they teach absolutely everyone, at least here in Finland.

I'm just tired of all this bullshit people keep spewing out regarding skating that has absolutely no basis in reality. Spacers do prevent axle slip and with a proper setup the wheels spin absolutely fine with the nuts tightened down, so that there is no play. I know skating is pretty much 95% mental and if using spacers, having no rattle etc. fucks you up, that's alright, you should do as you please. But people don't go around claiming your non-factual opinions as facts because of that.

Sorry about your kid's board. Maybe you should look into getting him a better setup before he starts getting axle slip and blown out bearings.
[close]
I cranked them down so he can't go fast. It worked. You know, applying pressure and friction, basic physics stuff, at least here in the U.S.
[close]

Sounds like you have something funky going on in your kid's setup if by tightening the nuts you increase friction inside the bearing while using spacers.� �:o

Maybe your spacers are too short? I've heard of that happening. Never encountered those myself though.
[close]

No. It's just the way skateboards have been for at least the last 22 years.

Wrong again. I know spacers kinda died out in skating at some point for some reason and aren't super popular now either. And you can manage just fine without, but there are definitely advantages to using them wether you believe it or not.  :)

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1565 on: November 23, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »
Wrong again. I know spacers kinda died out in skating at some point for some reason and aren't super popular now either. And you can manage just fine without, but there are definitely advantages to using them wether you believe it or not.  :)
because of their weight, we needed the lightest setup to make wizard late flip tricks back in the day, we even skated with 2 bolts per truck at one point...stupid experimentation times shit

ps : spacers were big and heavy back then, light ones were hard to find, in my area at least
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:07:25 PM by the snake »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1566 on: November 23, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »
Cheap bearings don't even come with them. I hadn't even seen a spacer until I bought my first set of Swiss a few years ago for my 30th birthday.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1567 on: November 23, 2016, 10:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

Please explain how that makes the wheels spin slower. You think the inner race spins much on the axle when you're standing on the board? I can loosen the nuts on my trucks and I won't go any faster. I'll just get more rattle, which some people love and I don't really care that much about.

You haven't backed your arguments with any facts so far. Just random veiled insults. Is it because you can't actually back them as they are based on a whole lot of nothing or do you possess some high level knowledge about the physics of ball bearings and movement of objects that are locked down that other people just cannot understand?
[close]
Unless you're a physicist or a mechanical engineer, shut the fuck up. I don't have to back up shit. I don't have to justify this shit, skateboarding does it for me. I cranked down the nuts on my 3 year olds board. Guess what, be hardly rolls. If you use spacers, you still might get axle slip. The end. That should be it.
[close]

LOL. Great discussion. Great arguments man. Getting mad and retorting to insults? That's what people who run out of arguments do. You know it doesn't make you any more right if you shout louder or act more offensive?

I am an engineer, but not a mechanical engineer. Doesn't matter though. This is basic level physics they teach absolutely everyone, at least here in Finland.

I'm just tired of all this bullshit people keep spewing out regarding skating that has absolutely no basis in reality. Spacers do prevent axle slip and with a proper setup the wheels spin absolutely fine with the nuts tightened down, so that there is no play. I know skating is pretty much 95% mental and if using spacers, having no rattle etc. fucks you up, that's alright, you should do as you please. But people don't go around claiming your non-factual opinions as facts because of that.

Sorry about your kid's board. Maybe you should look into getting him a better setup before he starts getting axle slip and blown out bearings.
[close]
I cranked them down so he can't go fast. It worked. You know, applying pressure and friction, basic physics stuff, at least here in the U.S.
[close]

Sounds like you have something funky going on in your kid's setup if by tightening the nuts you increase friction inside the bearing while using spacers.� �:o

Maybe your spacers are too short? I've heard of that happening. Never encountered those myself though.
[close]

[close]

Roisto, what kind of engineering do you do? I am mech eng but work at a flour mill and do not practice the ting. I am with you about spacer use but still will not use them because of the sound/weight issue
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1568 on: November 23, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
The knock on skating a tight set up is....your board sounds like a toy store board or dead.....your wheels feel softer.....your wheels don't make any noise when you slide.....

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1569 on: November 24, 2016, 12:15:04 AM »
The knock on skating a tight set up is....your board sounds like a toy store board or dead.....your wheels feel softer.....your wheels don't make any noise when you slide.....

it is THE worst feeling, isn't it? I tried to skate with spacers 2 weeks ago for axle slip reasons using super swiss and even with these high quality bearings my board was not fun to skate. I can only imagine what it would be like if i had used cheapos.
And @The Snake, yeah i have a few sets of old spacers and compared to the ones that come with bones swiss they are night and day regarding the weight. I would say up to 3 times that of a bones spacer. I got super precision scales at work so i can weigh each type if i remember to grab the spacers.

When spacers are used, the wheel can get damaged. The shitty tolerances by which skateboard products are made are the cause for this. Most spacers are slightly longer/shorter than the gap between the bearings (only by a fraction of a mm) and in the cases where the spacer is longer the wheel's bearing sockets can get worn. In the cases where the spacer is too short the wheel just rolls in steps.
Expand Quote
[close]

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1570 on: November 24, 2016, 12:42:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Roisto, what kind of engineering do you do? I am mech eng but work at a flour mill and do not practice the ting. I am with you about spacer use but still will not use them because of the sound/weight issue

I work as a design engineer at the moment. I studied biotechnology, specializing in process engineering. Lately I've been mainly involved in process design, but I've done all sorts of other stuff too. I think that's what's fun with engineering, it gives you so many different options on what kind of work you can do. But, we're getting way off topic here.  :)

As for the sound issue: It's there for sure. I still get the screech when sliding though and once the bearings are more worn in, they start making more noise, but nowhere near as much as without spacers. I'm personally cool with a more silent setup. During the summer I skated my cruiser setup quite a bit with 87A Keyframes. That's quite silent with spacers and tightened down nuts, but the rough streets here in Finland do rattle things about enough that it's not exactly silent either. I have Ace 44s there, which I bought from Main. They had loose kingpins and made a really dead "klonk" sound when ollieing and made the whole setup sound more dead otherwise too. I epoxied the kingpins down and after that I've been loving it. Ace bottom bushing and Bones medium on top. Really nice surfy turn, but still stable enough.

Haven't noticed wheels feeling softer with a tightened down setup though.  :o

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1571 on: November 24, 2016, 12:53:51 AM »
yep, old spacers were heavy, that's why i didn't ride them for almost 2 decades...until i got bones swiss for cheap few years ago
we should make a spacer thread now ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:55:23 AM by the snake »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1572 on: November 24, 2016, 01:27:26 AM »
haha, lets take slap a step further into ocd
Expand Quote
[close]

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1573 on: November 24, 2016, 01:30:07 AM »
i like spacers just because i can crank the nut down like grom times and still roll smooth
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1574 on: November 24, 2016, 02:21:55 AM »
Guys, a set of spacers weighs less than a fart...  :-*

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1575 on: November 24, 2016, 03:48:11 AM »
Especially if it's a wet fart, since slap has some problems with that 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1576 on: November 24, 2016, 04:38:39 AM »

Ha. Nail on the head! Maybe that's why I don't mind the extra few grams.

KronLaFlare

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1577 on: November 24, 2016, 06:20:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Please tell me you are done arguing about spacers??hands down the most annoying posts I have seen on slap this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1578 on: November 24, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Please tell me you are done arguing about spacers??hands down the most annoying posts I have seen on slap this year

Yeah. Sorry y'all had to read it. I should know better by now than to start arguing on the internet. :) I'm just so fed up with all the non-factual bullshit stated as fact in skating.  :-\

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1579 on: November 24, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah. Sorry y'all had to read it. I should know better by now than to start arguing on the internet. :) I'm just so fed up with all the non-factual bullshit stated as fact in skating.  :-\
I've never had spacers, but this sentence i so fucking true. Team legitness, marketing and art direction are the only things that really matter in skateboarding. Most deck brands are from the same 6-7 factories, same for wheels, and event worse for trucks.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1580 on: November 24, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
Does anybody have any suggestions how to keep my kingpin nut from falling off??

So not sure if anybody has this issue... i don't know if Indy is making shorter kingpins or what, and I don't ride my trucks particularly loose, but the nut on both my axle's are about a quarter turn from falling off.  In fact, today it just came off on my front truck when I was skating.  I ollied off a hip and watching the truck just fly away in mid-air.  Is there some sort of glue I can use or something?

I've heard about using a razorblade to make the bushings a tad smaller... i'm afraid to do that cause I don't want to fuck up the turning radius at all. 

Are the aftermarket bushing a little bigger than the stock ones? 

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1581 on: November 24, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
You can try removing your bottom washers, if you want them loose but the nut to stay on, works for me, but it does seem make things harder on the pivot cups

zippy z

« Reply #1582 on: November 24, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »
And I'm considered a regular. You cunts take the fucking cake.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1583 on: November 24, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
And I'm considered a regular. You cunts take the fucking cake.

Sofa king

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1584 on: November 24, 2016, 08:32:40 PM »
I dunno. I understand that bearings in every other situation are tightened down.. But skating isn't real life. Aren't we supposed to be wearing helmets?

No spacers, rings, tiny wiggle = correct

Tightened with spacers = wrong, but if you like it who cares

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1585 on: November 24, 2016, 10:46:22 PM »
If you need me.....ill be loosening my mounting hardware......

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1586 on: November 24, 2016, 11:43:10 PM »
ok so im gonna buy some trucks for my 9" set up, which one do you guys think is better,
independent forged hollows, or Theeve TiAX v3 ?
i skated the indys before and thought they were alright but i never skated any theeves so they look kinda interesting

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1587 on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »
Try the theeves and let us know how they work dawg, I'll gnar you.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1588 on: November 25, 2016, 01:47:17 AM »
Try the theeves and let us know how they work dawg, I'll gnar you.

KronLaFlare

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1589 on: November 25, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »
ok so im gonna buy some trucks for my 9" set up, which one do you guys think is better,
independent forged hollows, or Theeve TiAX v3 ?
i skated the indys before and thought they were alright but i never skated any theeves so they look kinda interesting
get Ace 55s